What's new

Zamal genetics side by side test comparison grow

funkyhorse

I understand everything as environmentally and epigenetically related
I dont think a certain strain will grow the same everywhere
I live in a difficult environment. Very high biodiversity on wetlands. And most strains have difficulty adapting here
I give you an example. Because I am running this Zamal side by side grow, I am trying also Malawi fem and Malawi regs from Ace and Golden Tiger fem
Genetics behave differently here, All Malawis here make PM, but Golden Tiger no problem at all

I am growing Northern thai 2008 genetics. seeds from 2008, very difficult to sprout and get going. Out of 68 seeds I got 8 plants going after mutation stage
N Thai family.jpeg

They seem to be pure race. From my trials 2 years ago I obtained similar tastes and high in 2 plants I grew
They have similar features and pattern grows. Just 2 plants make some PM, the rest is very similar. In polyhybrids what you have is a lot of diversity and tastes. It will be easier to find the consistent orange taste in a pure race than in polyhybrid giving you a lot of different phenos and tastes

The problem is with sativas, you need to have the environment. I dont think at lat 40N is doable. At that lat you would need tamed sativa hybrids in order to get a decent plant

So I think if you want to have consistent orange taste /flavour, it is better to grow pure oranges than oranges crossed with tangerines, pears and olives. In a cross polyhybrid like this it will be a little more difficult and more work to find orange taste I think

LostTribe

Premium user
Hi there LT!
Yes, I am sprouting French Touch Seeds Mango Karut and K1 Kalite Tizane a pack each at the end of the month
K1 seems to be a different line from Gypsy. I am not sure if Mango Karut is different from Gypsy stock.
Not clear info about it

Mango Karut and K1 should sex in february. And the polyhybrids according to finnishing times published at ace should sex in january or beinning february but I am not sure.
I will also run Mauritius x Ethiopian from Ace. And I have a few hybrids I did with Mango Karut boy but I think I will leave them for the future, I want to learn the genetics

I dont understand what labs call potency. Do they call potency to narcotic strains hitting 30% THC at their lab tests? The sativas need 4 months cure minimum to reach their potential.
Fpor sure the 70s and 80s weed mids were much better around the planet. It was preparaquat brick weed with minimum 6 months curing times. It kicked ass and all that weed is gone now

This is what I think about canna science, I got this quote as poster in my wall
Are you holding Gerrits cutting as well? Can't wait to follow along on this! That Mangu Karot has been on my list to try but I havent had the time. Best of luck!

funkyhorse

🙏 hey LT!
I have no clue who Gerrit is, I am like 13.000 kms away from Gerrit at least
Is there a way to get the cut here??? I am customer!!! O)f course I would love to try the real, authentical and original Gerrit cut
But 75% of it mixed in the middle of many other stuff is the best we mortals can get. And i certainly have only one life and I want to try every single ganja available to mortals. I am only getting older and I have no time for bullshit and Hollywood stories. I want to smoke or vape the best there is available today

funkyhorse

Some little update
The first batch of plants are doing well
Local fauna are testing the goods
Mango zamal, Zamal A 75%, Double Zamal 75% and Thaidelica are free from attacks.
This Thaidelica was tested but they didnt come back, not tasty to local fauna
Thaidelica (4).jpeg

Elite F1xF2 seems to be tastier for them, this is the only plant being eaten so far from the strain
Elite F1 x F2 (2).jpeg

And this F3 Zamal/Thai is the salad of some other living beings
f3 zamal Thai (3).jpeg

This F3 Zamal/Thai was born with mutation but is growing out of it
f3 zamal Thai false tri.jpeg

Instead Mango Zamal trifoliate remains trifoliate and symmetrical
Mango zamal tri (4).jpeg

funkyhorse

The Zamal genes are not tasty for the local fauna
Zamal in my environment is auto. This means I can grow it all year around and it is great news for me
After 40 days outdoors growing on ascending sun hours 2 weeks away from summer solstice, plants are sexing

Mango Zamal sexed: 5 girls, 2 boys, 2 plants showing pistils and balls at the moment and one still unsexed probably female
Mango Zamal girls are into recycled soil vegboxes
Mango zamal girls (1).jpeg
Mango zamal girls (2).jpeg

Double Zamal 75% I have 2 girls and 1 boy. So far 25% are Zamal leaning
Double zamal girl 1, on the back is peruvian landrace corn
Double zamal girl 1.jpeg

Double Zamal girl 2
Double zamal girl 2.jpeg

Double Zamal boy
Double zamal boy.jpeg

Zamal A 75% I have 2 girls and probably tomorrow I will have a third one. Same % of Zamal leaning genetics as with Double Zamal
Zamal A girls.jpeg

This is Mango Zamal bottom and Double Zamal on top for leaf comparison
Double zamal top mango zamal bottom.jpeg

This is the star of this grow
Mango Zamal tri is a firm boy so far and hopefully he will remain like that! He will fuck a lot, he is my stud
Mango zamal tri boy.jpeg

Have a nice holiday everybody

funkyhorse

Mauritius x Ethiopian
This 100% sativa F1 hybrid was created by crossing a rare and exotic sativa from Mauritius islands (with a certain kinship to the Zamal sativas from nearby Reunion Island) with our best second generation Ethiopian sativa parental plants.

The result is an extreme sativa hybrid, with a tropical, wild and untamed profile. Tall, thin and languid plants, with slender and flexible stems, growing with spectacular vigour and branching. Certain expressions (especially when growing large plants in the ground) can show the extreme tentacle-like lateral branchings that are so characteristic of the African sativas from these Indian Ocean islands.

The flowering phase begins slowly, although as it starts to mature this hybrid reveals all its true beauty and tropical sativa essence. The pistils are extremely long, thin and beautiful. The ovaries are of medium/small size, but compact and with a good production of large trichomes. The reflowerings take place very suddenly in the middle of the bloom phase (with the right conditions of heat and strong light intensity), creating large and long, spongy floral structures, with a very good flower to leaf ratio, forming obscene, spear-shaped final reflowerings which allow proper air movement between the floral clusters, making it practically immune to fungi like botrytis in high humidity or rainy conditions.

Sativa hybrid specially dedicated to the lovers of the most cerebral and euphoric pure tropical sativas without ceiling, and for outdoor cultivation in tropical or subtropical climates.
These are the smallest seeds I have ever seen, very delicate
You can see M x E seeds being pregerminated in the same tupper with Mango Karut and K1 Kalite Tizane from FTS. M x E sprouted in 48 hours no problem. The supposed fresh packs of Mango karut and K1 I just bought are old and not viable seeds, very disappointing but at least they are good for comparing seed size
I wonder if pure Mauritius is auto as well
M x E.jpeg

I am replacing the Mango Karut and K1 with some home made seed very interesting for testing, learning and comparing
From my Mango Pepper best girl which was the Mango karut pheno I made a few crosses, I am testing 3 of them:
1)Mango Karut BX which is Mango pepper x Mango Karut boy. This boy is the first time I smoked a boy and he hits! I mean I felt something! And smells were superb.
2)MP x Smoh BX
3)MP x Green Haze male 2 which was the most interesting of the oldtimer haze plants by looks

I expect Mango Karut BX to be auto and I am curious what happens when Zamal is crossed to photoperiod variety and hazes are good to check it out

The most advanced plants are M x E getting to know with the local bugs and doing quite well. One of the seedling got the cotyledons attacked and it is coming behind but surviving and well. And the younger seedlings are MP x Smoh BX and MP x Oldtimer Green Haze. In the back is one of the Mango Zamal intersex
M x E, mp x smoh bx and mp x gh.jpeg

funkyhorse

Strain reports
Mango Zamal: they are all sexed. 5 girls and 5 intersex. It will be very difficult or impossible to pollinate and reproduce this stock, the hope is the intersex plants making seed like this one in the picture below.
The tri boy is starting to make more pistils the eggs. He released a little pollen and this is the first seed done on another intersex Mango Zamal
Mango zamal hermie seed.jpeg

Double Zamal is fully sexed too. 9 girls, 2 boys went intersex and the last boy so far remaining sexually firm and he is the candidate to pollinize the whole grow. I doubt I will be able to collect pollen from the rest of the plants.
What I am seeing happening here has been explained by Gerrit and posted by MadMac, very clear
hello,
well i'll have a few quotes from Zamal when i'll first discovered it i'll did a huge research...
think i'll also posted it here somewhere...

most important from Gerrit:
I've grown approx 30 Zamal that Gypsy gave me approx 5 years ago.

The initial germination rate wasn't very high but raised above 90% after I "cracked" the shell's.

Sadly, I only got 2 males that reverted in to females before I could collect any pollen so I could not preserve the Zamal in it's pure form.

The most common phenotype was a lanky/branchy Sativa with loose buds that had a soft carrot aroma and little to zero trichome production on the leaves but abundant on the flowers.

The flowering times did vary a lot but I suspect that much of the variation occurred because of a difference in the "age trigger", so its probably more a difference in the "on-set" of flowering than a difference in the duration of flowering.

There where 2 exceptions to the rule namely:

A) Standard growing pattern but with the carrot aroma intensified in a way that it became more of a peppery smell (I hope this makes sense).

B) A more upright growing pattern with slightly more firm long "foxtail" cola's, but with the same carrot aroma as the others.
This one also had the longest flowering period (17 weeks).
The high that they produce is a bit to much Sativa for my liking, same goes for the crosses made with it. (I'm having enough trouble to keep focus as is)

Both types above where used in a test cross with the Warlock and given out as free-packs (most of them in Spain).

Although I was quite happy with the performance of the A-line I decided not to offer/market it for commercial reasons.

The B-line did not "improve" much compared to it's Zamal mother aside the fact that the males found among them where stable (did not change in to female).

The growing pattern that hieagle420 describes (branches sagging down and then growing upwards again) sounds like the A-line and is coming from the Zamal mother.

Maybe some people remember, I was kidding around presenting it as "Cannabis Asparagus" at the HTCC '02 or '03.

Zamal is the name of marijuana on the Reunion Island, near Madagascar.

The name Zamal actually regroups more than 250 different strains.

When the island was discovered, in the 17th century, sedds from france were brought, and then from the countries the people who live there originate from: mostly chinese, lebanese, madagascar, sri lanka, south india.

Therefore, this little tropical island which name stands for "reunion of all the people" has seen these different strains, indica and sativa, mix and devellop for years.

Hybrids have been develloped by nature (wind) for more than two centuries.

You can actually find some strains that will definitely remind you of famous north american or dutch indoor strains.

strains: the most common strains are :
"mangue carotte" : "mango-carots", green/orange buds that taste like mango and carots
"rougail-zourite": "poulp dish": a grey sticky sativa/indica mix , insane.

The top connoisseur weed will sound weird to ya'll: it's called "sekopie", wich means "dry on plant" .The older countrymen grow it.It is a branch that was left on the plant once it is mature, drought on the plant, in the sun for between 1 year to sometimes 5 years.This turns into brown buds that turn into dust when you grind them.The smoke is the most amazing thing one can imagine, and the effect can't be described.Priceless stuff.

way of life: people are allowed to grow one plant per house on the reunion island.Weed is a gift of God.God gives men seeds, all man has to do is cast the seeds in a good ground (volcanic) and let nature do its work.The best weed is the one that was not touched nor fertilized by man during its whole life.When they hear about our HPSs and fertilizers stuff, they laugh a lot.

Most #1 tunes in the charts there are about growing and smoking weed, about thanking God for this present etc

Zamal Mango Carrot
* Unusual, complex, psychedlic high
The Zamal is quite simply a legend locally, everyone who I've shared her with enjoyed her immensely and reagrds her as something very special and out of the ordinary. When you first smoke the Zamal buds the rich, complex taste and the uplifting sativa high immediately tell you that she is a very nice sativa smoke. At this point, she seems quite strong, but nothing unusual. Fast forward 1 or 2 hours and you suddenly realise that reality has altered, that you are indeed very high and the owrld is an amusing, strange place, you find yourself talking complete nonsense and people around you become charicatures, it can be like being inside a cartoon show. It;s hard to describe the effects with any great accuracy or detail as they are so complex that they vary from smoke to smoke and from person to person, but one thing is certain, Zamal can give you a truly psychedelic experience and that is somethingi have searched for in a bud for a very long time, I have smoked Mexicans and Thais that could have similar effects to some of the effects I have had from Zamal, but they tend to be one-dimensional, the Zamal is a whole cornucopia of different feelings and effects. I think this is probably a case of a number of very fine sativas from India, Thailand and Africa combining to produce a mega hybrid. I suppose it is quite reasonable to assume that if you took a bunch of Malawi Gold, Chocolate Thai, Keralan sativa, Durban Poison, Swazi Red etc. and grew them in large numbers in a perfect climate for many, many generations, applying the most basic of selection - sowing only the seeds from the best plants from last year's harvest, then the result would be an amazingly complex blend of different sativas. That is how Zamal came about, and with it's complex genetic heritage, it's not surprising it has a complex effect!

Haze is the result of humans taking the very finest sativas and crossing them selecting over generations, Zamal is also the result of crossing the very finest sativas, but with the selection done by nature, the plants that could grow and mature in their new location being those that through natural selection survived and passed their genes on to subsequent generations.

Zamal on La Reunion
View attachment 18794103

View attachment 18794104

@funkyhorse
yes auto tendencies in booth Zamal 75% & Caledonia #23

Zamal (FT) x OHz is a perfect match for your climate ...
cheers
M.

And I would like to answer Mac about this last sentence but not in the Zamaldelica thread because it is a commercial thread and my answers might not be very commercial and might be offtopic

Zamal FT x Ohz is far from a perfect match for my environment. I explained there in the Zamaldelica thread my doubts about a zamal cross keeping the auto features, but the main problem with this cross is powdery mildew. Most of the Zamal make PM here. All OT1 green hazes made PM here too. I dont know about the boy how he would have performed outdoors so it is interesting to check. I am getting PM on about half of the haze girls I grow. I live in a subtropical rainforest sweet water basin. Zamal is oceanic salty water strain. It needs adaptation and selection here and a lot of work. Far from perfect
And while I consider Seedsman haze the best commercial weed, it is not what I am looking for
I look for creeper high weed which is what I smoked most of my life. No wonder the best weed I have is the only creeper high strain I have. I hope to find more strains with creeper high. I doubt I will find it in hybrids. It will appear only in pure races from sweet water basins tropical rainforests unhybridized. At least thats my life experience. If someone else knows about creeper high strains, please let me know because this is the only weed I consider medicinal and I am looking for more of this medicine. Thank you very much

funkyhorse

All Zamal plants have PM issues and bug attacks on lower leaves. I removed all lower fan leaf attacked and hoping it will help stop PM.
I dont like using poisons or trichodermas. I like plants which dont have PM issues and are aphid and bug resistent like everything growing naturally here

Zamal A: 6 girls sexed and 6 plants unsexed
These are 2 of them on vegboxes and living soil
Zamal A (3).jpeg

F3 Zamal/Thai: 4 sexed out of 6. All girls

Elite F1 x F2: 2 girls and 3 unsexed

I am not seeing boys and the few ones that appear become intersex very fast leaning to the fem side growing more pistils than eggs

The biggest surprise of the grow I met before yesterday on Xmas eve, one of the longest days of the year, 2 Thaidelica girls showed sex and they are obviously auto
If it smokes similar to Thai and the auto trait can be isolated and reliably bred, I think is a big commercial hit for northern hemisphere growers who could never grow a real thai
This is Thaidelica girl in a 20 lt pot on the left next to Double Zamal girl on right. You can see the thai leaves, much bigger than Zamal leaves and longer
Thaidelica left double zamal right.jpeg

Thaidelica on living soil left and Zamal A right. Black Beauty on the back is occupying the place of 2 plants. I didnt expect the girls to show sex before february...I might chop her because I want to put more Zamal on living soil
Thaidelica left zamal A right.jpeg

Will be very interesting to see how Thaidelica smokes and grows compared to this
Thai from Ace seeds being born super fast. They all showed roots in 24 hours at pregermination and in total 72 hours they are all up and growing
Thai ACE.jpeg
General view of the Zamal garden on living soil from bottom to top: first 2 are double zamal, next 2 are Zamal A, the 5th one is Thaidelica and Black Beauty tomato on the back.
Zamal garden (3).jpeg

Have a nice week everybody and happy end of the year

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I love this.

Thats interesting that you're getting PM on Zamal genetics.
I would have thought being from one if the rainiest places that they'd be resistant to PM.
Makes me winder if you're pushing N pretty hard

goingrey

I love this.

Thats interesting that you're getting PM on Zamal genetics.
I would have thought being from one if the rainiest places that they'd be resistant to PM.
Makes me winder if you're pushing N pretty hard
Well, it doesn't seem like it's raining all the time everywhere:
climatestotravel.com said:
In Réunion, an overseas department of France located in the Indian Ocean south of the Equator, the climate is tropical, with a hot, humid season from December to March and a cool season from June to September, ie the austral winter.
There are, however, significant differences between the zones. The south-east trade winds blow all year round, but especially in the cool season. In the interior of the island, which is mountainous, the winds bring rainfall on the eastern slopes throughout the year, while the western slopes are rainy only in the hot and humid season, while in the rest of the year, they only receive a few rains and are even a bit warmer. So, the island is basically divided into two, and the northwest coast, where we also find the most beautiful beaches, is almost dry.
The rains in Réunion occur in the form of short but intense showers, called avalasses. As mentioned, in the interior, the elevations enhance the formation of thunderclouds on the slopes exposed to the wind, so much so that the rainfall can even reach 6 meters (235 inches) per year. As regards to the coasts, the leeward side is partially sheltered, so the eastern coast, where rainfall exceeds 3,000 millimeters (120 inches) per year, is much more rainy than the western one, from Le Port to Saint-Pierre, where it drops below 1,000 mm (40 in). The rains are most abundant from January to March, when more than 200 mm (8 in) generally fall per month along the coast, and up to 1,000 mm (40 in) per month on the inland slopes. Usually, the rainiest month is February.
And even if it was, it's quite different to have plants in the wide-open outdoors with a lot of airflow (wind) than in a greenhouse. Regarding that, @funkyhorse would it not be possible and maybe beneficial to have a fan blowing in there, or maybe you already do? Spores from other plants with the fungus are of course also trouble, so PM management and cleanup are paramount.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I believe tropical plants are immune to tropical diseases, not those of higher latitudes; this year all my plants (except Suroeste Oax) have been affected by powdery mildew, from Thai landraces to Jamaica landrace to 100% sativa polyhybrids to mullum Nev.hz 21 to original haze thai....

Having said that, congratulations on your grow, I really like your plants and I'm very interested...

herbgreen

Veteran
:biggrin:Love the tall fully developed plants

It makes a difference in the next generation

And that grow lab you got is brutal super selector or "de-selector" for PM

What did you put in the soil again as preventative sulphur?

funkyhorse

Thank you very much everybody for coming by and commenting and agreeing or disagreeing with respect
I believe disagreeing respectfully is where we all can learn most

I am doing this just because I am bored, cant buy decent grass with money anymore where I live and I am stuck here in this coronavirus pandemy. I still have to work, do my laundry, do my cooking and all of this is done in amateur spirit in the privacy of the house I am renting for this time, so plants must take care for themselves and this is bred and cared by Nature

I listen from the local cannabullshitters same speech as in Thailand. Outdoors is not good, indoors is good, lights are better than the sun and you need to spend on indoor equipment thousands of dollars in extractors and dehumifiers in order to grow this disastrous modern american/european indica hybrids which can only grow decently in a desertic environment
This is the homeland of legendary sativas and I am hearing this environment is difficult.
This difficult environment belongs to the world #1 agricultural superpowers which have no commercial treaty with Europe nor Usa because they both distort fare and free agricultural trade with bullshit subsidies making artificial pricing and mantaining an unsustainable industry which in a real free and fare trade world is bankrupt
So when I read my environment is difficult for pure sativas hmmm, are you guys serious?:thinking:
This stock I am growing is sourced and bred in Spain. How come Spain is the homeland of sativa breeding??? Spain is desertic, is a continuation of the Sahara, good for growing hashplants not fucking sativas.
So if I am growing sativas bred in a dry and desertic environment, I expect to have issues. Not to talk if it was bred even north of Spain. The northern it was bred, the more problems I find and the more dissapointing it is

It is difficult to guess what is going on at this side of the screen sitting very far away and not knowing the area
So for geography fans, some background
This is Atlantic Forest environment. Where I live it is transition area

This ecoregion is same river basin as this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alto_Paraná_Atlantic_forests
Atlantic Forest is homeland of the legendary paraguayan sativa.

About ventilation, this is an eolic energy area. It is too windy. If you cant grow plants well outdoors here is because it is too windy and need cover.
I am currently building a windbreak. By weekend it will be done. I will use climbing plants to make it strong
Windbreak (1).jpeg

Greenhouses have ventilations from all sides and if it is too covered, the wind just breaks it. Gust of winds of up to 100km/hr and tornados. Climate is crazy and changing all over the planet
It simply rains inside but I dont put plants under the holes. This is a draught year. You will see food prices climbing soon in this globalized world
This is broken by the wind
Windbreak (2).jpeg
Windbreak (3).jpeg

This back wall is just white mesh without nylon. Full wall air flow
White Mesh Wall.jpeg

And this is the white mesh wall view from outside for indiscreet curious neighbours and the river. This is a terrace on the river, a big biodiversity transition area with migrating and local flora and fauna. This is shelter of wildlife. Less than a km away agrotoxics poisoning the land, the food and the kids everywhere. Failed countries do poison their own kids and their own neighbours with agrotoxics, very sad unsustainable model inspired and promoted by usa government and corpos.
You can see the back wall has no cover except for the white mesh
El río.jpeg

I dont want to poison my plants and I think adaptation is key. The best I can grow I am seeing is landrace stock coming from other river basins. Oceanic, mediterranean, californian and dutch weed is very problematic here to grow the same way I believe local varieties would be difficult to grow at those environments. The ones that perform better so far are pure thais here.
These ants are happy living on the Sinai leaf. If I spray shit I will never kill them all, they will always come back. This is their home. I simply need to find the strains that grow here effortlessly and not get eaten by fauna
Sinai leaf.jpeg

This is current temperature and humidity at midday. Humidity swings to over 90 in the night and 100% in autumm
Temperature (1).jpeg

Here you can see 2 Double Zamal girls and the Sinai is working as the bug attractor. If I take the bug attractor out, then they will probably pray on the Zamal. I must leave some genetics as bug attractors
Temperature (2).jpeg

funkyhorse

I dont use sulphur and I have no clue what it is good for or if it is locally available
My neighbours are agronomy engineers, they know a thing or two about this environment.
One thing I was told for funguses is this thing, if I find it I will try it. Does anybody have any experience with Bordeaux mixture?

Soil substrate I make it myself. It is a combination of recycled soil from vegetable grows, plus local virgin soil from my garden, plus fresh compost locally bought and peat moss all in equal parts and around 2 liters of perlite per every 30 lts substrate
When put to flower I add coffee grounds and bat guano. If I succeed to find fresh earth worm castings I add it too
I use Canna BioVega for veg and Bioflores for flower. And water. I dont think they have N excess, I dont feed too much. They have enough food in the soil

Thaidelica is sexing after 65-70 days and it seems to be auto as well.
I have a total of 6 girls sexed, 5 still unsexed. Big amount of girls in the whole grow, I have no more spots left on ground, the rest will go to 20 liter pots
Thaidelica (1).jpeg
Thaidelica (5).jpeg

In a drier environment, I think these would be a great match to Zamal
Sinai TRSC. Good luck at extracting resin from this strain!
This is what I expected, a sativa bud. If this smokes same as the weed I sourced in Sinai from the bedouins in the 90s, this is a great match for a dry environment like Southern Spain
In my environment aphids like her but they dont pray on her. PM stopped with the drier days. This is the total opposite environment, so this is totally expected
Sinai girl 1
Sinaí girl 1 (3).jpeg

Sinai girl 2
Sinaí girl 2 (3).jpeg

Lebanese from Ace from the neighboring desert is more resinous than Sinai and aphids like her less. Same features as Sinai as expected. PM stopped too in this one. If this smokes the same as the landrace weed I dealt and sourced in the desert in the 90s, this is also a great cross to zamal. The auto features will be kept
Líbano girl 2 (3).jpeg

This New Caledonia is promising. It is also auto from same latitude as zamal and it is also from a french colony.
Here they have passed 2,50 meters and I will have to top when they reach 3 meters
New Caledonia (5).jpeg

IndicaFarmer

Mauritius x Ethiopian

These are the smallest seeds I have ever seen, very delicate
You can see M x E seeds being pregerminated in the same tupper with Mango Karut and K1 Kalite Tizane from FTS. M x E sprouted in 48 hours no problem. The supposed fresh packs of Mango karut and K1 I just bought are old and not viable seeds, very disappointing but at least they are good for comparing seed size
I wonder if pure Mauritius is auto as well
View attachment 18795661
I am replacing the Mango Karut and K1 with some home made seed very interesting for testing, learning and comparing
From my Mango Pepper best girl which was the Mango karut pheno I made a few crosses, I am testing 3 of them:
1)Mango Karut BX which is Mango pepper x Mango Karut boy. This boy is the first time I smoked a boy and he hits! I mean I felt something! And smells were superb.
2)MP x Smoh BX
3)MP x Green Haze male 2 which was the most interesting of the oldtimer haze plants by looks

I expect Mango Karut BX to be auto and I am curious what happens when Zamal is crossed to photoperiod variety and hazes are good to check it out

The most advanced plants are M x E getting to know with the local bugs and doing quite well. One of the seedling got the cotyledons attacked and it is coming behind but surviving and well. And the younger seedlings are MP x Smoh BX and MP x Oldtimer Green Haze. In the back is one of the Mango Zamal intersex
View attachment 18795662
had the same problem with fts seeds myself. junk, and it took 4 months to ship. what a joke.

TheDarkStorm

Strain reports
Mango Zamal: they are all sexed. 5 girls and 5 intersex. It will be very difficult or impossible to pollinate and reproduce this stock, the hope is the intersex plants making seed like this one in the picture below.
The tri boy is starting to make more pistils the eggs. He released a little pollen and this is the first seed done on another intersex Mango Zamal
View attachment 18795663
Double Zamal is fully sexed too. 9 girls, 2 boys went intersex and the last boy so far remaining sexually firm and he is the candidate to pollinize the whole grow. I doubt I will be able to collect pollen from the rest of the plants.
What I am seeing happening here has been explained by Gerrit and posted by MadMac, very clear

And I would like to answer Mac about this last sentence but not in the Zamaldelica thread because it is a commercial thread and my answers might not be very commercial and might be offtopic

Zamal FT x Ohz is far from a perfect match for my environment. I explained there in the Zamaldelica thread my doubts about a zamal cross keeping the auto features, but the main problem with this cross is powdery mildew. Most of the Zamal make PM here. All OT1 green hazes made PM here too. I dont know about the boy how he would have performed outdoors so it is interesting to check. I am getting PM on about half of the haze girls I grow. I live in a subtropical rainforest sweet water basin. Zamal is oceanic salty water strain. It needs adaptation and selection here and a lot of work. Far from perfect
And while I consider Seedsman haze the best commercial weed, it is not what I am looking for
I look for creeper high weed which is what I smoked most of my life. No wonder the best weed I have is the only creeper high strain I have. I hope to find more strains with creeper high. I doubt I will find it in hybrids. It will appear only in pure races from sweet water basins tropical rainforests unhybridized. At least thats my life experience. If someone else knows about creeper high strains, please let me know because this is the only weed I consider medicinal and I am looking for more of this medicine. Thank you very much

Thats probably why your having more success with the pure southeast asian types as they are from hot tropical humid environments.....with some types you need a lot of freshair, air movement and a controlled humidity level along with other parameters in check otherwise they can quickly turn to hay and come out rubbish.....it happens to many of us too if not done almost perfect .
Just an idea to consider.....might be difficult to do were you are....but look in to some heaver air movement were your growing as well as exchanges of fresh air going in and out....as well as some humidity control.....might work better for you....if its not really possible then probably best to concentrate more on the taller more stretchy type southeast asian types for outdoors....but obviously main thing to just enjoy what your doing...

funkyhorse

Sadly not all seedbanks are reliable at the cannaworld, it is what it is

Plants keep sexing. I have a total of 8 girls out 11 thaidelicas. 3 still need to sex.

I spent most of my life at the northern hemisphere. South of the Tropic of Capricorn, only 3% of world population lives and things might be different here than growing in the northern hemisphere, if gypsum works at other environemnts or if it works with indica genetics I dont know. I have been to the agricultural shop today and they have Bordeaux Mixture available on order to my surprise so I ordered a kg pack and i will hopefully try it next days and test if it works or not

Air flow is a problem here because of excess and not lack of it, too much air flow brakes the greenhouse nylons and need constant repairing.

I need landrace resistance. This means it must be resistant to local fauna
This is Thaidelica
Day 1 attack
Thaidelica fauna attack (1).jpeg
Thaidelica fauna attack (3).jpeg
Thaidelica fauna attack (4).jpeg
Thaidelica fauna attack (5).jpeg

Day 2
Thaidelica fauna attack next day.jpeg

I believe I will find her this morning with just the stem left. I took 2 little cuttings with 3 leaves each and hope to get her alive again
These are the guilty ones: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_ant
These fuckers are absolute landrace and have conquered the planet. The only thing which is effective against them is fire. It is not possible to kill everything, what is possible is to find genetics they dont like and I am finding a few. With Blueberry has happened the same as with this Thaidelica. Other affected genetics were Coljam, Highland Laos #1 and Mex/Hz x Hz/Sk
This is Double Zamal. Zamal rocks. Zamal wins over local fauna. This is what I call landrace resistant strain. I hope bordeaux mixture will help with PM. One Mango Zamal girl was also attacked but Zamal always wins, this is the main reason I am trying these genetics, I have seen the same last year
Double zamal fauna attack (1).jpeg
Double zamal fauna attack (2).jpeg

In the meantime all Zamal girls are developing their typical chandelier branching, very beautiful and special

About funguses, I read a claim about being contagious. It is true on tomatoes but not on cannabis. I had plants with pm next to plants totally free of it. And I have seen differences in the same strain as well
This is Golden Tiger cut next to F3 Zamal/Thai which is the most affected of the Zamal strains by fungus. Golden Tiger is very resistent to a lot of things, it is growing indoors with white fly and mites, just a little cleaning and no problems, she grows fat buds
Golden Tiger cut.jpeg

I posted this pic in another forum and the answers were really negative and I felt hate. people mouthpotting without ever having grown the genetics
This is my indoor Golden Tiger and Malawi both fem versions.
Golden Tiger and Malawi (2).jpeg

Malawi is a hashplant with buds that smell sativa and smoke like uplifting sativa. The best fast genetics I ever tried so far, much better than the ECSD crosses I tried side by side with her. Done from seed in 100 days plus 1 week drying and 2 weeks curing for a total of 120 days from seed gives a nice feelgood sativa smoke.
So glad you have had a good round this time with NC @Keif Cake :D I like a lot the look of your high yielding long flowering pure sativa pheno :love: such expressions are probably the best in the line, i made sure to select and reproduce several females of this kind for current NC release. If you really like her terps and effects then you probably have a winner there.

I don't find this New Caledonia sativa line is related with Nevil's work with Haze. Terps and effects are different. New Caledonia pure sativa line is consistently much fruitier than NL/Hazes or Original Haze. Effects are much more brighter, happier, expansive and non ceiling than NL/Hazes. NL/Hazes are usually more potent, but dirtier, colder and much more introspective, also much heavier on body effects and burnout at the end. There are fruity expressions in Original Haze (especially in hybrids) but Original Haze is in average not a strain i would consider fruity. Incense is very strong in Haze, while is rare in New Caledonia, which in my opinion is much more Thai like.

@funkyhorse the fact they are showing sex in preflowers close to summer solstice doesn't mean they are auto or they are going to start to flower soon, they have just probably reached their sexual maturity after a long enough growth and therefore showing their gender in preflowers, but at your latitude in sourthern hemisphere they should really start to flower around March (if estimate correctly).

And you are correct, Middle East landraces are not the best genepools to look for if you are looking for pm and botrytis resistant genetics.

Hey @MadMac happy to see you around these parts :) I have been following with great interest your amazing job latest years with Original Haze and its hybrids. Pleased to know you have found New Caledonia line good enough to include her into your breeding projects. Curious to learn more about the females and traits you like most from the line!

Are you getting better results backcrossing to Haze than in your best Haze F1s ? I can hardly improve things with the backcross to Haze, at least with Oldtimer's Haze line, the really good Haze F1s are most of times superior.

So happy to hear that @Cactus Squatter :huggy: did not say lightly that this New Caledonia is the most interesting sativa landrace we have worked with and released at least in the last 5 years. Means a lot to me that someone can experience such sativa effects and appreciate them so much like you and your wife.

Happy New Year guys !! 🥳
Welcome to the thread Dubi. Welcome to agree and disagree
Regarding haze, my experience with Seedsman Haze is exactly same as you describe with OT1hz, spot on. The F1s have been much better than any BX. From the BX I obtained many mutants as well

Dubi, I have 6 New Caledonia plants. 4 are girls growing pistils. When sexed they had only a couple of pistils at the top shot and now there are a couple pistils in all branches including the lower ones. It is advancing at the longest days of the year. 2 plants are unsexed, if they dont sex until Reyes I believe they will be photoperiod sexing in march like you suggest so I will probably take cuttings because they are over 2,5 meters tall in a 5 liter pot. I never seen presex from mature plants. If they sex here they start flowering.
I think New Caledonia should be auto in your environment too but I dont know because of this:
The sun here is very different than in Spain. Let me show you. This is your neighbour from Sevilla, Papu Gomez coming to the southern hemisphere sun straight from the hottest place in the planet, the arabian peninsula. This is after just 4 hours exposed to the southern hemisphere sun on the air open bus at the world cup celebrations. It happened to me the same in the 90s when I did the same trip coming back from Sinai. To expose yourself to the sun at sea level between 10am and 5pm is very dangerous to your health and you are risking skin cancer
Honeyview_Honeyview_Necesito aloevera.jpg

The pollen donor for this project is a reversed sex individual? The progeny is full of females and very little males. So far I only have 1 firm boy but who knows how long he will remain firm. The future of this strain is in the intersex
Thaidelica here is auto as well, in fact most of the breeders pack is auto.
Have a happy, healthy and prosperous 2023 and thanks for releasing/sharing genetics

Nexus7

Hey @funkyhorse

I also had problem with ants. Well if your argentine ants are like the ants we have here and are walking/crawling insects only can I suggest using a double drip tray?

I put a large drip tray filled with water underneath the pot and regular drip tray. That way the water creates a phyical barrier that the ants can't penetrate and also you don't have to worry about the roots being bathed in water all the time.

Worked great for me!

Latest posts

Latest posts