What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

YOUR WORST/DISAPOINTED/OVERATED STRAIN(S)

masterlow37

Veteran
Joe A. Grower said:
Weeellll, cuz most of us aren't interested in a pheno that is "representative of the strain." What we want is a pheno that is a "superb specimen that expreses the ultimate potential of the strain." Finding an "average" 50th percentile girl is not tough. What we want is that better-than-90th-percentile girl that completely kicks an "average" plant's ass. (if plants had asses, that is)

Biological traits, like marijuana potentcy or human intelligence, tend to vary in a population of individuals with a "normal distribution," aka "the bell curve." In a pack of ten seeds, you really have very little chance of finding that 90th percentile female among the five girls you are likely to get. With three or four packs of seeds, you have a pretty good shot at it. Ten packs will almost always get you that superb keeper female. This is why commercial growers and clone producers will sometimes buy 10 or 20 packs of seeds to find one keeper if they can't get a top-quality clone for a reasonable price.

Believe me, spending $1,000 for seeds to get one keeper is often more affordable than what some price-gouging clone sellers want for their "elite" cuts. When you are growing commercially, even a 5% increase in yield will easily pay for the seeds in a single crop.
J.A.G. your reply is right on time for me, its funny ive been thinking the same thing for years now how the seed dealers when choosing a specimen for a picture have chosen a pheno out of ###'s who even knows, this certainly is true when it comes to the specimens entered in competions or a least the better/best specimens entered. This for sure is one of the reasons my next purchases will mostly be i.b.l.'s & landraces, just in case it gets to where ya cant get seeds from over the big pond ill have stable genetics to fall back on and make my own personal hybrids,
which would give me all the seeds i could stand to go through to find that very special mom. Im not saying i want buy some of the alsome hybrid beans, because i will but i do want to cover my ass for the future with some stable genes. LMAO, this all comes to me after just being sarcastic towards something mark emery once said about blue rhino. THANKS

Last edited:

beancounter

Veteran
Joe A. Grower said:
Weeellll, cuz most of us aren't interested in a pheno that is "representative of the strain." What we want is a pheno that is a "superb specimen that expreses the ultimate potential of the strain." Finding an "average" 50th percentile girl is not tough. What we want is that better-than-90th-percentile girl that completely kicks an "average" plant's ass. (if plants had asses, that is)

Biological traits, like marijuana potentcy or human intelligence, tend to vary in a population of individuals with a "normal distribution," aka "the bell curve." In a pack of ten seeds, you really have very little chance of finding that 90th percentile female among the five girls you are likely to get. With three or four packs of seeds, you have a pretty good shot at it. Ten packs will almost always get you that superb keeper female. This is why commercial growers and clone producers will sometimes buy 10 or 20 packs of seeds to find one keeper if they can't get a top-quality clone for a reasonable price.

Believe me, spending $1,000 for seeds to get one keeper is often more affordable than what some price-gouging clone sellers want for their "elite" cuts. When you are growing commercially, even a 5% increase in yield will easily pay for the seeds in a single crop.

I guess I'm one of those that agrees with solrbl, I really don't think people should have to go thru 3 packs to find what the breeder represents for the line.

That special '1 in 20 or 30' plant you speak of is usualy what the breeder is representing as the strain.. Yet most aren't saying that you're gonna need to grow out 3 packs to get it... They're saying.. "buy this pack of seeds and you'll grow this", refering to the decription or picture with the listing..

IME you only need to grow out 3 packs of a strain in only the most unstable line.. Example..

-Deep Chunk (outa 6 females there were 3 standouts, all top quality headstash, hard to pick a favorite)
-LUI (out of 5 females there were 2 superb examples, again, hard to pick a winner)
-Blockhead (out of 4 girls I found 3 that were as good or better than alot of elite cuts I've tried)
-Sweet Tooth #3 (out of 6 females 2 standouts were found, both headstash)
-Blue Satellite (a few keeper in every pack, a given)
-SAGE (easily a standout example in every pack)
-God Bud (1 of 2 females was superb)
-Island Sweet Skunk (almost every girl is a keeper)
-Berlin Indica (easy to find one killer girl in a pack)
-Sensi Star...Swiss Bliss...Nebula...Durga Mata...Belladona (a keeper or 2 per pack 90% of the time)

Just to name a few, I could go on for a while, but I'll spare the thread.. I'm comparing these seed strains to many of the very best elites, I have a good handle on what's 'above average' and what's not. I know many comercial growers and caregivers who I can compare with and discuss what truly stands out and what doesn't.

And as for your last comment, most of us here are not commercial growers, and most of us here probly don't have $450 USD to drop on 3 packs just to find one keeper.

There are many many good strains out there where people can spend $50-100 a pack and find a keeper per pack.

If it's gonna take 3 packs to find a real keeper than the breeders should be selling 30 seeds per pack IMHO.

.♠.

If it's gonna take 3 packs to find a real keeper than the breeders should be selling 30 seeds per pack IMHO.

Scream the Truth beancounter! Speak the Truth!

I can't agree with you more. Either be honest about variance in strains, or breed them true. Don't give us hype.

crybaby

thanks so much for this thread, a very honest and intelligent discussion. I've asked the same question before, although phrased differently, and many people get downright defensive, as if I was asking why their children were so ugly. Seed dealers hype their seeds in the same way car manufactures hype their cars. No harm in that, but it's great for someone like me just starting my first grow (C99, WW, EZBud, Skunk Special and Magic) to enjoy and learn from the wealth of experience. Again, thanks. CB

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
you have a point Beancounter, but the thing to remember is that we are dealing with plants, which are alive. we are talking about genetics, there is often a winner in one pack of seeds. but to find the really great elite keepers, you might well need to go through a few packs, specially when we are talking about hybrids. so yes it would be nice if every seed was in some way close to what the strains ideal pheno is, but thats just not how it works unless you are talking about a very stable in bred line or an original strain. but when it comes to hybrids there are just too many variables to insure finding a special keeper in every pack. but i agree it would be cool. and as you say in most cases one does find a decent keeper in 1 pack of seeds.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Seems to be somewhat about an individual's standards...
One man's 'keeper' may be another man's 'cull'...
There will be variation in any strain, to some degree or another...
Expressed in a graph, the 'desirable trait index' for even the most stable strains, would be a bell curve with a few below average plants, alot of plants that are very similar and representitave of the strain, and a few above average plants... ...and maybe a couple of 'holy grail' plants...
When I look for what I consider to be a 'keeper', my standards are pretty stringent...
Unless a new plant surpasses what is already in my garden on some level, then to me it is not a keeper...
If I had a garden of bagseed, then the first decent lady from any pack of breeder seed might be considered a keeper...
I will guarantee a keeper in any pack of seeds i sell, for any documented grow...
But, I also continue to sprout new seeds every month even if I have a keeper of that variety because there is always a better plant out there somewhere just waiting to germ...
Sure, in an ideal world, the consumer would buy seeds that all produced Identical superplants.... but this is the real world, and every single seed is a genetic dice roll to some degree...

G

i have one actual keeper female in well over three years of growin genetics offered on the net.

theres nothin sayin that you may hit the lotto and score a nice plant in 10 to 30 seeds, most times though that aint happenin. lots of folks select the best outta there pack, most times that plant isnt gonna be close to the best in the line.

the more plants grown, the better the chances. all depends on how bad ya want that one of a kind plant. look at the big houses, there gear isnt ibl or nothin like that, you still get variation in there offerins. now yeah there offerin will have a higher number of good smokin plants, but your still huntin the best in the offerin.

i dont think your gonna get much better then what the long time breeders have been makin for years. deep chunk is a great line, many generations and years of work, the line still has crappy plants and one of a kind plants.

CBF

supermanlives

Veteran
bigbud. i tried just about every available version a few years back. good for crossing maybe but other than that it sucked. my 2 c4 females from chimera have balls . i flowered the seedparents in small pots so i am hoping the slight rootboundness is the prob and i have backup clones to try. was never expecting his stuff to herm so easy as the other strains are fine so far.

supermanlives

Veteran
blue dog said:
i was let down by black domina, very boring smoke,,,,,,probably why you dont see much of it anymore......bd
last i tried it it kicked ass. i also had a cross with bubbleberry it floored everyone. not a wake and bake strain more of a day ender and helps with pain. that said i am revisiting it . got some from sensi hitting the flower room as we speak. i hope its as good as i remember.

G

yay BD is one very special strain, my favourite, I whish I still had it.

on another note, I never could get a jack herer to flower.what a hoax ! ( or a lameass grower)

lol what a coincidence, MASTER LOW was the worst strain i ever grew.
power stout was a close follower. out of so many plants, the best ones were all males, then the potency on ALL of the females sucked, little smell, taste like nothing.
ILL STICK TO REAL WEED THANKS.

REZDOG

Veteran
Frequently,I find that people post that they only start a small % of their ten-seed packs.
Then,they remark that they didn't get what they wanted from the two or four beans they popped.
Well,selection is subjective,and when you're dealing with a plant that's divided into males and females,then your odds of getting exactly what you want are even further lessened by the fewer seeds that're initially sprouted.
I've grown closing on 200 strains and hybrids,and there's only a small handful that I actually think kick absolute ass.
Most are 'acceptable',and some just downright suck.
I also agree,if you need 30 seeds to get a fair representation of what the breeder is picturing,then you should get 30 seeds in a pack.
(Are you referring to SAGE,perhaps?) ;)
All righty,enough of this,it's time to go pickle some eggs.

Cheers!

Ones that sucked?
Oh,sure....a couple....

DP Blueberry (reversed heavily!)
DP's 'strawberry cough' (crap,not even close!)
DP's Oasis (pretty,but low yield and low buzz factor!)
Anything by ferret/fet/muffinman (hemp-like,mostly!)

One that didn't?
Strawberry Diesel!
:D

solrebl

Thank you Rez that's all I was saying. I'm not looking for a super-plant out of the pack. I'm just looking for the traits the breeders described.

Last edited:
Mr. Nevermind said:
I finally remembered that shity strain i got from Wild irish seed co ( emerys catalog) it was sage x blue rhino ( blueberry x white rhino) it was garbage and smelled and taste like hay. i would barely call it weed.

INTERESTING!

I have had Blueberry X WhiteRhino the entire time I have been growing...

It was one of 3 strains I got from my friend down in Mendo when I FIRST started overgrowing... The BlueRhino is the only one that's been worth keeping... Untill now, I had NEVER heard or seen BBxWR ANYWHERE, I though it was either mis-labled or some cross made out in the hills somewhere... Only now do I see it again outside my veg room or the people that I associate with! Kudos! It's very HUGE and it smells like gasoline while fresh...

REZDOG.... I took that PSA you posted, I'm keeping it in my "Net Sheeit" folder for posterity..!

I'm no "grandpa grower" [years and years and years] But I'm not a beginner either....

I have never in my life BOUGHT seeds, so this thread is interesting for me.... How have I managed this whole time to acquire the clones that I do? I have never hunted through a pack of seeds to find a "pheno" I have always let someine else do that leg work for me! I don't know any "clone-dealer's," In fact I never knew there WAS such a thing! I understand that there are people in situations other then mine, that CAN'T network, or otherwise make reputable clones avaiable to themselves. I have always laughed at all this seedbay, heavans stairway, etc. sites and their necessity! The only time I have ever even GOTTEN any seeds is when BOG came over and hung out while he was in town, and even then I have never even popped them! I don't really have time or space to devote to them.... But if anyone want's to pop some and give me back a "Keeper Pheno" from them Be my guest! ;)
13169DSC07194.JPG

all_is_1

Bad experience with Chronic, WMango fro RMS, wonder woman from Sensi.

Rez SD IBL is amazing weed but it is necessary to find a representative SD specimen--buy more than 10 seeds.

Frankly, a decision cannot be made on a strain based on only a few plants--some strains are extremely stable, some not. Breeding has a lot to do with it but does not completely determine stability as it is also a factor of evolutionary traits. . . Thai herb makes great crosses but I've yet to see too many stable crosses of Thai IBL's. . .

Except for Williams Mango every Reeferman strain I have rocks .. . Viper, Grapefruit, nigerian IBL, nigerian nightmare, g13/bw. All phenomenal. And anyone talking shit on Rez's SD IBL has not experienced the right pheno, straight up--cause that weed is some of the best on the planet

G

Somas Rock Bud. Took ages to sprout (3 weeks!!!), got only one from the pack of ten. Discarded due to better plants then, never got a refund (weedcity). Soma didn't answer me. A waste of money. I'll never buy Soma again.

G

Next Generation's Romulan = 30 seeds, 15+ females, 15+ herms (all mediocre), with 10 other strains in the garden at the time that didn't herm at all accept for...

Next Generation's Blueberry Punch = 10 fems, 3 or 4 severe mutants that would not grow once they reached a certain point, oh yeah 10 herms. though i have to say one of them was fantasic, smelled like grape bazooka joe bubblegum with a touch of haziness to it... if it didn't herm like a bitch it would have been worth it. oh yeah and it took 85 days to finish when it was listed as a 56 day strain.

G

Human Nature said:
Nice titties Sam Fox, wheredja gettem? [Who is that?]
lol, that's Samantha Fox, as stated in my introduction thread by another member, she's a british pop tart. Never liked her music in particular though :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts