What's new

YOUR GARDEN IS NOT ORGANIC...

mad librettist

Veteran
Yeah nice one cc. At least I choose not to wallow in it, eh?

Btw, I was including you in that statement, but only implicitly.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Yeah nice one cc. At least I choose not to wallow in it, eh?

Btw, I was including you in that statement, but only implicitly.
Yeah - and as usual I found it trite and pretty much silly/goofy.

But I'm sure that you knew that.

BTW - are you still crab-crawling out to your garden in the morning to urinate on your garden or did the local police finally put a stop to that?

Just curious. Sort of.

CC

Stoned Crow

All right now, I think I figured out the point of this thread, it's like the "Complaint Department" thread. When we're depressed and feeling shitty, we come here and vent.

We all have different views, procedures, beliefs and microscopes.

Be careful, thoughtful and tread lightly, there are many impressionable members reading these posts...SC....:kissgrin::kissgrin:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
~The more I learn, the more I realise I have been talking shit, not compost.

my observations are just that too - there's really something to 2ndtry's admonitions of measuring your components and good feed stocks in correct ratios - then evaluating your results

but, some of those tests are expensive (though i have been thinking about a microscope) and, this is a field where "close" works pretty good (and w/ good diversity, time will make it better)

Stoned Crow

my observations are just that too - there's really something to 2ndtry's admonitions of measuring your components and good feed stocks in correct ratios - then evaluating your results

but, some of those tests are expensive (though i have been thinking about a microscope) and, this is a field where "close" works pretty good (and w/ good diversity, time will make it better)

To me, measuring takes all the fun out of it. Although the last few months I've been thinking about buying a microscope, I just can't convince myself at this point.

If I don't have enough faith to mix soil and feedings without a microscope or measuring cup, then my whole faith in nature is lost.....SC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
To me, measuring takes all the fun out of it. Although the last few months I've been thinking about buying a microscope, I just can't convince myself at this point.

If I don't have enough faith to mix soil and feedings without a microscope or measuring cup, then may whole faith in nature is lost.....SC
I gave up on exact measuring...it's just a scoop of this and a handful of that...once you know what the fu*k you're doing.

It's like come hang out....this is how it works regardless of exact measuring.
It should be fun and simple...just how it is.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I gave up on exact measuring...it's just a scoop of this and a handful of that...once you know what the fu*k you're doing
That's pretty much my drill.

Sometimes I get an accurate measurement and most times I don't. No big deal. I 'feed' my plants when they appear to need an application which is almost always limited to fish hydrolysate and kelp extract. The soil that I've built is able to carry the plant straight though until harvesting.

Without added 'P' specifically. I sincerely believe the tenet that plants produce over 90% of the 'nutrients' that they need through the exudes that the bacteria respond to.

YMMV

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
BTW - in case you're wondering about my lack of cogent thought in my posts I will blame listening to "I'd Love To Change The World" by Ten Years After.

It's a very special moment.

CC

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I think the beauty of our organic situations is we don't need to measure, therefore we choose not to. I mean we could do it, but how much would it really change, or would it for that matter? The only thing i measure now is a powdered concentrate i.e. humic acid.

Its like cooking. A little of this a bunch of that, a pinch of this for some extra depth or contrast. Over time it becomes a recipe. This is the case with me. Also I try to make sure the pot never runs out.

On another note i picked up a portable greenhouse for $100, should be good for my needs here...

mad librettist

Veteran

If I don't have enough faith to mix soil and feedings without a microscope or measuring cup, then my whole faith in nature is lost.....SC

It's beautiful in there sc. Borrow a scope and look. You don't have to own one. It certainly does not take the wonder away.

And microscopes don't measure. And if anything, they allow to measure less. I wish I could spend longer looking in, but I guess time is a limitation for all things.

You know, you can take what I'm saying further - since you can't know without looking, and you can't look without a scope, and you can grow without knowing, maybe we don't need to make shit up about products, and instead say "that works for me" so that we don't screw people who try to apply our theories to other scenarios. Because growing weed in soil is not hard, most people can figure out how to do it pretty well with only a few key concepts and techniques.

CC, please grow up. Everybody knows you have a crush on me, so stop overcompensating. Just ask me to the dance already. Try to be like those guys you use as avatars. Just don't smell like them. Hell, you may even make it to first base, or if you are nice I can demonstrate my old fertilizing technique, since you seem so interested in it.

There I said it. I used to pee on things. And probably will pee on things again if called upon to give a golden garden shower.

T

treefrog

Classic "Type A & Type B" responses to organic gardening. ~ Fussing about every little thing just seems like so much work to me. Ever notice how the people that are the most controlling are the ones being served up lessons of powerlessness the most?
That's organic.

I just started using pee and am delighted about it.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran

i dont measure anything, but a microscope is some cool shit. the things you can see when looking so close will amaze you. one of the things i have been hooked on lately is the spores from fungi. they come in so many shapes and sizes its amazing.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i measure my initial mix cause i like to know what i started w/

was referring though to measuring feedstocks for compost (more as 1 part, 2 part and by eye/volume) as 2ndtry's recommendations for getting a hot compost process and a nicely finished compost product

FTMP, i eye stuff as i mix teas and such

lol, when i make compost tea i have just been tossing a handful of compost into a bucket and setting my airstone in there

- more to be said for reading the plant than for measuring components

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
If it comes in a bottle, I'm exact, if it comes in a bag.... I'm close ....... and organic or not, I test the PH of everything, trying to watch what the medium is doing. I don't PH anything but I like to know it. But as it stands the only thing I'm using in bottles is Pro Tekt.

Smiley

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If it comes in a bottle, I'm exact, if it comes in a bag.... I'm close ....... and organic or not, I test the PH of everything, trying to watch what the medium is doing. I don't PH anything but I like to know it. But as it stands the only thing I'm using in bottles is Pro Tekt.

Smiley

ha ha this test meter just says everything is "6.5"

i think once you know your water and you use tried and true mixes you just dont need it anymore

my 1st attempt went awry when the well water drove the PH way up -so it can be nice to know

but once you do an evolution w/ the materials your going to use it becomes mostly unnecessary

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Well, I'm talking strictly about my water. They change sources 3 times a year here. I like to know when that happens and what effects it has on the garden. It's not necessarily pertinent to anything other then curiosity and understanding.

I just like info, relevant or not.

But I worry not about PH with my modest mix.....;)

But the PH meters main role is testing my 28,000 gallon reservoir in the backyard with the diving board :D

Smiley

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Well, I'm talking strictly about my water. They change sources 3 times a year here. I like to know when that happens and what effects it has on the garden. It's not necessarily pertinent to anything other then curiosity and understanding.

I just like info, relevant or not.

But I worry not about PH with my modest mix.....;)

But the PH meters main role is testing my 28,000 gallon reservoir in the backyard with the diving board :D

Smiley
I guess I've been lucky to be able to use rainwater. I haven't once had to use well water yet. I suspect as the year progresses,it won't be raining enough to fill my collection tank. Lucky,for now. The ph ranges from 6.0 to 6.9....not that that matters one bit in organic soil.