What's new

You know you live in the country if......

St. Phatty

I was just at the farm supply store buying Penicillin, and there were these 2 guys talking about raising Quail the entire time I was there.

I have quail everywhere. I asked the check out lady if it's a "pet thing" - people like to raise the birds so the quail is sort of their pet.

Actually, I might try that. It would be very interesting to see how the people-raised quail interact with the wild quail. And the chickens and Silkie birds.

They all eat sunflower seeds. And ground corn.

When I walk outside there is often an explosion of wild quail, who were busy eating the chickens' food. Then it's just the chickens & Silkies left in the bushes near home.

Seems like they were fraternizing & enjoying themselves.

But it's real hard to actually see the wild quail hang with the chickens.

Maybe if I put a glass wall at floor height in the living room.

Or a Bird-cam.

PS

About PG&E and their response to the wildfire situation.

They are cutting off the power to remote areas (like Paradise CA) on "Red Flag" days (which California had about 100 of in 2018 - really hot, dry, and windy days).

So - human nature being as it is - people being the way they are -

when PG&E cuts the power, won't people fire up their home generators ?

I have no problem with home generators. The problem is that cutting the power will result in LOTS of people starting their generators. People make mistakes, not everybody parks their generator in the middle of a gravel apron as a fire safety measure.

So the question is - are country folks in California going to be careful enough running their home generators ?

Or is PG&E making a bigger problem ?

I think they should set up portable power stations in town centers, and just energize short runs of local power lines. The goal being to not have miles and miles of wire out there sparking.

Last edited:

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You know you live in the country when your car breaks down and the first guy that passes you stops to help.

redlaser

Veteran
Turkeys around here often roost in Ponderosa pines, 80-100 feet up. About 8 in the morning they start dropping out of the sky, twenty feet at a time, drifting from tree to tree, taking their time.

They end up on the roof too, and sometimes one will lean way past the gutter on the roof and look down and into the living room window for a while at the cat sitting there.

A

acridlab

when you can open your front door and take a piss out of it.. and not worry about catch'n a case...

kaochiu

Veteran
Think about it. Wind could come from any direction, but not from your back since that's the inside of the house. So, wind could only come from the front or the sides. I'd say you'd only be safe if the wind comes from a narrow angle, about 20 degrees each side between the wall and the wind line of direction. That leaves us with an exposed front of 180 degrees and only 40 of those could be safe.
Now, if you follow my reasoning, you'll conclude that, in a windy day, there's a 70% chance of getting wet. Then again, the wind is also prone to sudden change of directions, or could be just anarchic in its nature.
And as a last ado, you might be having one of those days, in which case chances of getting wet increase by 100%. Trust a stranger: never run outside with yer willie too ready, no matter how many beers you've had.

A

acridlab

^^^disclaimer: only piss out your door on warm/ calm summer nights " when the frogs are chirpn"

ChinggisKhaan

When your next-door neighbor drives you to town cause you got to pick up your truck from repair shop (1.5 hours).

We used my car, he drove it back and When you get home he leaves the key in the ignition when he parks it at your house.