What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yield increasing tricks

O

OG Tree Grower

I want to make a thread to see what everyone else is doing to increase there yield or to consistently get good numbers

1- Environment , this is obvious but critical, if you can't provide a consistent Suitable environment that's relatively stress free then you will never be able to dial anything in.

2- light meter. I always have one with me. I'm always doing low stress training to make sure branches and plants are getting equal light. This alone has giving me very consistent quality and quantity , there 80 bucks and I guarantee you your plants are not in the optimal spots if your not checking.

3- Timed sucker trimming , early on in veg like week 1-2 and when the sucker branch is as small as possible, again 1 week before flip so there fully healed and growing strong again before the flip the. Just light sucker trimming and only if necessary during stretch. After week 4 the slow defoliation starts on big leafed strains.

4- cloning, if I want 10 then I cut 30 uniform clones, throw away the best 10 and worst 10 or however it works out just take equal sized and equally rooted clones , for trees I only use mature cuts with a thick stem

5- when setting my fans for the vertical lights I offset it a bit to get the light swinging a bit, it blasts the hotspots and light around everywhere and gets light into places it wouldn't get other wise.

6- my dirt plant, Let's face it we always have a week corner in the room that's just wasting light. That's when I throw in the dirt veg plant on top of a bucket or I build a shelf for it or make it work somehow,I always have one growing with the buckets every crop, it's also very handy for trouble shooting but this trick keeps averages up and numbers consistent

If I think of any more I'll add them in after, what are you guys doing?

The biggest things I've found...

1. Lollipop the fuck out of your plants. Don't be afraid to go Rambo on your plants. I always feel weird about this, even to this day because it feels like you're hurting your plants. But they LOVE it. It's like forcing an Olympic caliber marathon runner to drop weight before a track meet. This is an art form all it's own but I think this is the easiest best way to boost numbers.

2. Try scrogging. I just did it for the first time and I'll be damned if it doesn't have a dramatic result. Instead of just your top branches blowing up, you get dozens of top branches all blowing up.

3. Give the kids an extra week or two of veg. That extra week or two of patience will pay huge dividends in the end.

There's my big three.

O

OG Tree Grower

Seems as if only 3 people on this forum are interested in increasing there yields? Surely I thought this would have been a great thread . Anyone else care to chime in with a trick or two?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Here is another. Use more than one light source. A single bulb will get shaded more and the out side edges may not get the light penetration that a double source would. This will allow for a 3 dimension plant. because with one source you need to grow a flatter canopy to ensure light gets to the entire plant.

rykus

Basically I think of it as every crop has the potential to do 3+ lbs per 1000w... It's just how many little fuck up it will endure by its caretakers over the 2.5-4month cycle...

Droop your plants -10% potential... Or loose a week if in veg.

Bugs -5% potential add 20$ per lbs to trim bill.

Mildew -15% potential and add 20$ per lbs plus minus 400$ Per lbs from profit minimum

Overwater-loose a day or 1/63 of yield potential every time.

On and on... Consistancy is key IMO....

Miraculous Meds

VPD, 80f/70%rh.

Keep day/night temps the same.

Canopy Management.

Light placement.

Mastering these things brought me from a .5gpw grower up to a 1.5.

Miraculous Meds

Seems as if only 3 people on this forum are interested in increasing there yields? Surely I thought this would have been a great thread . Anyone else care to chime in with a trick or two?

This thread idea has been done about 147 times bud. That's why. But its always a good thing to talk about, brush up on fundamentals/skills and learn new things u may not have thought of.

O

OG Tree Grower

MM- funny I did a search using several keywords and couldn't find much, little lone a thread strictly for tips and tricks to increase yield for vertical growers.
Besides I have been off the net for quite a few years, I didn't even k ow what a gativa was until 6 mts ago. I'm sure people have progressed since then. My circle is tight and not into change so I come here for that

When you calculate Gpw are you just doing lights or total electricity ?

Miraculous Meds

MM- funny I did a search using several keywords and couldn't find much, little lone a thread strictly for tips and tricks to increase yield for vertical growers.
Besides I have been off the net for quite a few years, I didn't even k ow what a gativa was until 6 mts ago. I'm sure people have progressed since then. My circle is tight and not into change so I come here for that

When you calculate Gpw are you just doing lights or total electricity ?

Its all good bud. The search function sucks imo. But if u look at some of the stickies or previous threads that are worded slightly differently, we have discussed this topic a lot. It never gets old to me though, as long as we are constructive, n not arguing over petty shit. Carry on my friend.

Im just talking flower light wattage per 2 months flower avg. Its by no means a overall cost. Buts its a decent standard to see what people can pull per x amount of flower watts per 60 days. SOG always wins efficiency wise, but some people don't mind paying the extra veg bill for trees to keep legal in their area. So I don't fret much about the extra 50 or couple hundred bucks of veg costs, because the value of high quality cannabis is so inflated, that veg cost is a fraction of what u profit.

I run a perpetual, so there are no down days in the flower room. But the rub to that is I pay for a veg room with plants to be flower ready by the time the next crop gets harvested.

O

OG Tree Grower

I agree 100%

I enjoy growing trees and keeping the plant count low too. I veg 9 plants under 1 k horizontal ( spaced properly to promote branching, until there about 24" tall , then they do 1-2 weeks veg in the big room before the flip, keeps energy costs down and the flower room flowering .
I saw your post about verging vertical and I agree when your running 1 plant per 1000w, but with my system I average 2 plants per 1000w so they only have to branch out half as much as the common light configuration seen with freedom buckets. I'm gonna get internet educated and secure and I'll do a grow dairy. This latest room and light pattern has been killing it, and with a 40 day(super cheap) veg it's hard to beat

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
If you go to the vert section at the top of the thread listings there is a button called ratings. Click on that and the vert section will be reordered to show the highest rated threads first. This is the best way to get the best threads listed first that readers have found most helpful.

And remember to rate the individual posts as helpful that you find helpful. That is the yes button at the bottom of the posts. Also rate the threads you find helpful as well. That is in the thread at the top where is says "rate this thread". By doing this the best threads will be drawn to the top to help the new people.

X

Xray Kimono

1. Hunt through lots of seeds and cuts to find what you like that yields the best....
2. Then Monocrop, top, train
3. VPD...temps at 80f rh70% until last two weeks, then taper down to 72f and 50%rh
4. Coco/perl based medium w multiple feeds per day..
5. DIAL THAT SHIT IN

Peace!
Xray

X

Xray Kimono

And yeah, air layering saves in overall production time,resources, and plant number once the mamas are selected and churning out branches...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Was that Grow done Horizontally ??? what was total watts used if you don't

It was done horizontal yes. It was done with a 600 watt bulb.

What I was getting at was that if you air layer a plant you can reduce the amount of time before you flower the plant.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
In the thread I linked to the growth of cuttings verses air layered plants is shown. It took the cutting 28 additional days to get to the same height of the air layered clone. And then it was not as full as the air layered clones were.

So for a 24 inch air layered clone I cut about 4 weeks of veg out to get a 24 inch clone from a cutting. That is how I can increase my out put from flower.

O

OG Tree Grower

Ich- thanks for posting. I'm currently trying my first attempt. If it works out as planned I can get rid of one whole room! My only question is, does the root mass suffer a bit? Or do you just prune until it catches up?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I leave it on the plant till it looks full in the bottle. It looks about what you get when you pull it out of a beer cup. They dont seem to stall at all if you do that. And there is not reason to prune. I have heard of other people having problems with stalling if pulled to early.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Ich

How long did it take to grow the mother big enough to air layer the 2 foot cutting ?

I like the tech .
But lets not distort the time and energy involved ,in getting the donor plant to the stage ,where you can make enough air layers for a crop under a 600 .

There`s no free lunches ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Latest posts

Latest posts