What's new

Yet another summer heat thred

indica193

Hello bros
so for now my growtents are peachy.. not high temps, no cold temps
I can still have harvests until end of july around here
My question is, can I grow in an open room with fans aimed at the girls? lights just hanging over them? I cant really afford a portable ac, and humidity is through the roof in our summers.. No growing until end of sept sucks
any ideas?

goingrey

Sure. I would maybe have the fans blowing above the girls not directly at them but that's just me. Though with the high humidity you do want a lot of airflow. Tents are actually pretty good in regards to that (with a powerful enough extractor fan).

Other ideas.. Choosing heat and humidity resistant strains, accepting that the summer indoor crop won't be the best one, trying to schedule around the very hottest time.

Also worth thinking about your house.. Adding to the humidity might not be a good idea. You say you can't afford it but an AC unit or dehumidifier might well end up being much less expensive in the long run.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I don't know if it's a good idea or not because trying to cool a house in Summer costs enough. Trying to cool it with an extra heat source is extra costly. I shut down during the Summer because I managed to grow enough from Winter growing to last all Summer. Taking a Summer Break is a fun part of growing for me. I will start a Fall garden outdoors but not indoors. I'm doing my part to not strain the power grid when temps hit 105f or 40c.

indica193

yup.. well my winter growing was zero, I moved to the sea with work, and came back .. I still have 2 /5 months but that's it 😯. I would love to grow outdoors, unfortunately I live in a one room apt . Guerilla could be a an option if I didn'T live in a suburb. YOU DO NOT want to gt caught in this part of the world, even with a micro plant. Guess I'm blessed like that

kro-magnon

Veteran
If you really want to grow in summer time with heat and humidity go with sativa dom hybrids strains who have more open flowers and less prone to mold. You can also top your plants to make multiple smaller buds, also less prone to mold and of course lot of ventilation around your plants but not straight in their faces.
In my current place I have a high % of humidity going often over 60% in bloom but I manage to harvest without loss.

indica193

If you really want to grow in summer time with heat and humidity go with sativa dom hybrids strains who have more open flowers and less prone to mold. You can also top your plants to make multiple smaller buds, also less prone to mold and of course lot of ventilation around your plants but not straight in their faces.
In my current place I have a high % of humidity going often over 60% in bloom but I manage to harvest without loss.
tbh I could care less about humidity. The heat is what destroys the plants

kro-magnon

Veteran
You might change your mind about humidity when you lose a good part of your crop because of mold, it's not fun when it happens. About heat, you can grow without too much trouble up to 30/33°c at max, the first trick is to run your light during the night when it's a bit colder. How is your climate during summer, how hot is it ?

indica193

You might change your mind about humidity when you lose a good part of your crop because of mold, it's not fun when it happens. About heat, you can grow without too much trouble up to 30/33°c at max, the first trick is to run your light during the night when it's a bit colder. How is your climate during summer, how hot is it ?
it happened to me too, but it was outdoors during a very rainy end of september
july - august 32 to 36c .. moslty 34-36c

Ca++

30c isn't hot. It's in the goldilocks zone. 33c might be warm, but only a 10% downturn. I used to think it hot when coupled to the IR of HID lamps. By 35 I would be pulling out lights to balance what the greatest loss would be. The excess heat or loss of light. With LED I wouldn't raise an eyebrow. My outdoor plants have seen near 40c air temps, plus the sun beating down. Which in my climate seems hot, yet it's too cold here for native cannabis to be found. Leaving me struggling to say what hot is.
There is a graph around here, but I have no idea where. 33c is reasonable, but things to drop off quite quickly between there and 40c. Where things are down to about 20%.
Most (if not all) of us have some limiting factors other than too much heat. Thus the impact of a 10% performance cap is negligible.

I don't see the size of the OP's grow. If it's just a hobby tent, then cooling/drying the incoming air, might not take much. If we look at a 1000w fan heat, that 1000w is quite a heat gain, on quite a bit of air. So 1000w of cooling can be quite useful. You can weigh that up, right? and 1000w of cooling, comes from an aircon that uses about 350w. If we look at the back of an old fridge... about 350w. A small window banger is generally a bit bigger, at 5000btu. ~450w power consumption. Remember this cooling unit needs to dump it's heat somewhere though. Not in a bedroom where an un-insulated tent stands. So an 8000btu portable might be the easiest unit to just buy and plug in. Offering about 2000w of cooling, which is pretty chill really. If it can cover the tents intake rate, and the tent is insulated to stop other heat ingress.

A used 8000btu unit is a difficult thing it sell right now. 100 notes will easily get one. It's going to eat 600-700w but what will it grow?

Edit: I realise I'm talking about cooling, after just saying it's not important. The real gain of the 8000btu unit is the de humidification, but I'm skirting around the fact, as it's been rejected. However there is no doubt that the aircons water extraction is of great use. Which is why I didn't dwell on the fold fridge idea. They fill with water, so it's quite a project.

kro-magnon

Veteran
30c isn't hot. It's in the goldilocks zone. 33c might be warm, but only a 10% downturn. I used to think it hot when coupled to the IR of HID lamps. By 35 I would be pulling out lights to balance what the greatest loss would be. The excess heat or loss of light. With LED I wouldn't raise an eyebrow. My outdoor plants have seen near 40c air temps, plus the sun beating down. Which in my climate seems hot, yet it's too cold here for native cannabis to be found. Leaving me struggling to say what hot is.
There is a graph around here, but I have no idea where. 33c is reasonable, but things to drop off quite quickly between there and 40c. Where things are down to about 20%.
Most (if not all) of us have some limiting factors other than too much heat. Thus the impact of a 10% performance cap is negligible.

I don't see the size of the OP's grow. If it's just a hobby tent, then cooling/drying the incoming air, might not take much. If we look at a 1000w fan heat, that 1000w is quite a heat gain, on quite a bit of air. So 1000w of cooling can be quite useful. You can weigh that up, right? and 1000w of cooling, comes from an aircon that uses about 350w. If we look at the back of an old fridge... about 350w. A small window banger is generally a bit bigger, at 5000btu. ~450w power consumption. Remember this cooling unit needs to dump it's heat somewhere though. Not in a bedroom where an un-insulated tent stands. So an 8000btu portable might be the easiest unit to just buy and plug in. Offering about 2000w of cooling, which is pretty chill really. If it can cover the tents intake rate, and the tent is insulated to stop other heat ingress.

A used 8000btu unit is a difficult thing it sell right now. 100 notes will easily get one. It's going to eat 600-700w but what will it grow?

Edit: I realise I'm talking about cooling, after just saying it's not important. The real gain of the 8000btu unit is the de humidification, but I'm skirting around the fact, as it's been rejected. However there is no doubt that the aircons water extraction is of great use. Which is why I didn't dwell on the fold fridge idea. They fill with water, so it's quite a project.
Learn to sumarise your point please because it's not easy to read you. By experience indoor it's too hot over 30/33°c, the plants are visibly distressed with those temps, it's a different game outdoor.

Ca++

I'm sorry to hear your plants are stressed at 30c, but please understand, that is your grow. It doesn't make it right.

A quick search will show 20-30c being the typical range sites give, and if you look at a vpd chart it will reach 35 as that's in the ideal range if you have good air.

Interesting article here from lumi
https://www.lumigrow.com/optimize-cannabis-grow-for-led-temperature-considerations/
There is a nice graph there, showing just under 30c is best. With little change to 32c, and by 35c the plants 10% less efficient. Right through to 40c the loss is within 25% of peak efficiency. At 45c they're just hanging on. All leaf temperatures, not air.

It's hard to argue with that.

Pretty much what I said.
Another site user we trust here.

I think it's pretty clear what I'm saying.

Well I tried many, never got to 21 but was in the 24 up to 33
in HIDs I saw a big improvement when I set the ambient to around 30-31, The cooltube does the rest with regards to not burning them, they can almost touch it.
At that temp they are growing at an insane rate and show deficiencys a lot more
You really need to be on top of things in these temperatures.
The science behind the temp issue is old, from 25c to 30 is linear, peak output of all parameters is at 30c, lowest point is 25, under that you are stalling growth
Sometimes the ambient reaches 33-34 at flower...
Best places in the world to grow have a 3-4 months when the temps are always 30+ at day and 25+ at night, they are also the months people flower and harvest

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Last year someone gifted me a 130-watt LED grow light and said it ran cool enough to grow during Summer. I laughed and thought that was funny. After plugging it in I was surprised and thought this will work if I double it. So I bought another one and ran them both during Summer last year as an experiment. It still got a little hot but not anything like using an HPS or 600-watt LED. So the trick is to keep the wattage below 250 watts for Summer indoor garden. The below photo is 260 watts total Summer time indoor grow that yielded about 15-quart jars. I'm not growing in Summer anymore because I know now.

IMG_2049.JPG

kro-magnon

Veteran
Last year someone gifted me a 130-watt LED grow light and said it ran cool enough to grow during Summer. I laughed and thought that was funny. After plugging it in I was surprised and thought this will work if I double it. So I bought another one and ran them both during Summer last year as an experiment. It still got a little hot but not anything like using an HPS or 600-watt LED. So the trick is to keep the wattage below 250 watts for Summer indoor garden. The below photo is 260 watts total Summer time indoor grow that yielded about 15-quart jars. I'm not growing in Summer anymore because I know now.

View attachment 18830211
It's impossible to lower your ambiant climate unless using a lot of energy which is very expensive now so sadly summer indoor crop are more and more difficult to achieve. I live at lat 50 N now so I can grow all year but the summer temps are higher every year soon I'll have to stop for a few months I think. I now have some LEDs so I can deal more easily with heat but if ambiant temps are over 35°c even at night time it's game over.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
To all things, there is a Season from which it comes. As long as we respect and obey the conditions of the Season it will bear fruit. The more respect the more the fruit.

If you mow lawns for a living and try to find green grass to mow in the winter you're a fool. The same goes for trying to grow tomatoes in Winter outdoors, is a fool. The more one goes against this Seasonal rule the more of a fool he or she is. Don't be fooled because of greed and work within the Seasons.

indica193

To all things, there is a Season from which it comes. As long as we respect and obey the conditions of the Season it will bear fruit. The more respect the more the fruit.

If you mow lawns for a living and try to find green grass to mow in the winter you're a fool. The same goes for trying to grow tomatoes in Winter outdoors, is a fool. The more one goes against this Seasonal rule the more of a fool he or she is. Don't be fooled because of greed and work within the Seasons.
thank you, Wise One..
now tell me to "Riise Lord Vader"

L.E: can I keep moms alive and healthy, no pests while summer lasts?