What's new

Yet Another NGB Box

G

Finally got the balls to share my secret with ICMAG, my 50" W x 34" H x 24" D NGB box. I read, read, and read some more (props to Yukon, Connoisseur300, The St., sugabear, and of course the man NGB and lotsa other people I can't remember) before I finally started building my box. It's still a work in progress, I need to install locks and a 250W HPS (I'm thinking). What I'm looking for is constructive feedback on improvements to be made and things to do differently the next time around. Pix Coming

art

G

The pix

The pix

This is my mother/clone room. She's lit up by 3 40W CFLs for a total of 120W. I've got some bagseed seedlings in there now. Don't mind the two clones in the back, I obtained them from a friend who told me I could take clones after he'd been flowering her for 2 weeks. How old should they be
before I attempt cloning?

These are my favorite 5 plants, I messed up and germed more than one seed in a jiffy pellet thinking they wouldn't all sprout but they turned out to be the my best looking plants

I know it's a clusterf?&k in here, I only hope the HPS ballast fits. I've got two receptacles feed with a 12 gauge extension cord, two digital timers (one's for the HPS), a Panasonic 110 CFM? whisper fan with a fan speed controller, and a homemade carbon filter ala Sugabears tutorial. The filter seems to work, I locked myself in the bloom room and smoked a cigarette and my fiance, bless her sensitive nose, didn't smell anything until I came out. I find the fan a little noisy, is this due to the fact that my airflow is constricted from room to room? I've got 6 1" intakes in the mother room, 5 1" intakes in the bloom room and 4" flex going into the carbon filter.

And finally a shot of her all opened up. My bloom space is 32"W x 34"H x 24"D do y'all think I should go with the 250 or 150, also would my fan be a good match for the 250 with a cool tube?

ICMAG ROCKS!

art

G

Is there anybody out there? C'mon I need some feedback, I know it's not perfect

art

spacecadet

man it looking good and i think adding 2 150 watts is the way to go i been running mines for 4 years now and i think anouter light would be a major improvement from what i seen and how my buds turn out it need more light but not sure how it will handle the heat my box is a carbon copy of ngb and the intake need some major over hauling wich i just added a 2" hole in the back of the flowering room today and fixing to order me a new 150 watts light and hopefully it will improve my yeild and may be i will not in up with so many pop corn buds we had a tread going a wile back on improving on the ngb desine but seems every one lefts for some reason but over all your box looks good

segue

artfunk4 said:
The filter seems to work, I locked myself in the bloom room and smoked a cigarette and my fiance, bless her sensitive nose, didn't smell anything until I came out.

Hah hah! Your fiance probably got a good laugh out of that. Mine probably would have locked me inside.

That's a nice looking box!

I'm thinking you want more light than a single 150w. You have almost six square feet of floor space in the flower room. I have a 150w over two square feet of floor space, which seems about right, but you definitely want something bigger.

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
freezerboy you wouldnt hapen to be a salesman would you?lol maybe simba needs some help selling them, you two should talk. do they really do anything special? increased yield over a HPS?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Not a salesman. Just a happy customer. Too early in my first 250 CMH grow to discuss yeild. However, I do feel that growth is much more dense with CMH. My old 150 HPS has been doing maintenance on moms and clones. Boy was that a mistake. Everything was stretched out and thin. Just finished a massive trim job to keep them below the lights. I gotta ditch the HPS for CFL in the mom zone.

Speaking of under the lights, I never would've tried this with the HPS.

Please, pardon my evangelical fervor. :beat-dead

......... edit ...............

Same plant 6 weeks later. 22 inches tall (including 8 under the screen) compared to 7 feet in the wild

Last edited:
G

spacecadet - Well it seems pretty much be unanimous to forget about a 150.

segue - She actually did, until I promised her dinner and drinks on the town....women :bashhead:

Haggis123 - Thank you, I'm rather proud of it

FreezerBoy - I'm intrigued by the CMH, I actually installed a few in a site lighting project the other week at work and I wanted to put my hands on 2 of them, they were 100 watters, sooooo bad. Where is a good spot to scoop up a 250? Can they be used with a digital ballast?

An update - tied my favs down so they wouldn't shade each other. Also tried topping 2 to encourage some branching, we'll see. Also a question, I'm going on vacation for a week and I'm afraid my babies will all die, does anyone have advice on that? Thanks for dropping by!

art

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I got my bulb here- http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmed18.htm

And my ballast kit here- http://www.businesslights.com/hps-ballast-kits-c-190.html
Mine came prewired (Coil, cap and ignitor)

Here's a place advertising the 250 CMH for $10 less but, I haven't tried them
http://www.lightbulbusa.net/UC-PHILIPS_146498_CDM250S50_HOR_4K_ALTO.html

Note the bulbs are horizontal/vertical specific. They will work the "wrong" way but at a greatly reduced life span. While there are some conditions under which a digital ballast is OK, I forget what they are. I'd stick with magnetic. You may want to avoid ballasts from HTG. Most of the people having problems seem to be running HTG ballasts. Weak ignitors and excessive cord length seem to be the culprits. Those with higher grade ballasts seem to have no problem with longer cords.

G

I've started thinning out the weakest of the seedlings, the clones failed to root, I think it was due to the fact the mother was flowering. I've now got 12 chances for a hearty mother. I've been giving them alternate waterings of pure H2O and Fox Farms Grow Big. My plan is to take clones in about 2-3 weeks, does that seem feasible?

art

tngreen

Veteran
hey man welcome to ic, you seem to have a great start! im gonna have to agree with the others about the 250 (or 2 150s) because of floorspace. nice looking cab, can't wait to see it filled with buds! :lurk:

G

Hey IcMag,

I know I've been neglectful of my thread but life's been pretty busy. Came home from vacation to some slightly wilted plants they all perked back. I've since installed a 250W HPS, soon to be upgraded to a CMH and been on 12/12 for 3 weeks. I ended up killing a few males and runts leaving me with 5 ladies. 4 seem to be doing great. The 5th lady is worrying me, I think I
overwatered her early on because as the pix show she doesn't look too hot.

They are in a 70/30 mix of Ocean Forest and Perlite with weekly feedings of Tiger Bloom, I'm planning on switching to Big Bloom in a few weeks as it is wholly organic.

Any guesses on yeild? I'm hoping for about 3 oz.
The clones I've taken are failing miserably...I've read,read, and read but no luck...took another batch a few days ago, hopefully I'll have better success with those, if not I'll have to build a wick cloner and attempt to reveg whichever plant I like the most.

Well thanks for dropping by...any advice would be appreciated

peace
Art

tngreen

Veteran
looking good man! i will also recommend using your light vertically. since you dont have a bunch of height, a vertical light would maximize your space by allowing you to use all your height and also get a lot more light to the lower sites. check out propoline's (?) cab in growroom designs. his is a little smaller but the same concept applies. later!

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
The one thing I regret about this box is not making my mother room bigger. I would like it to be atleast 24 inches square. you should have plenty of room with 18 inches though.

G

tngreen - I plan on scrogging in this box, so I'm not too worried about the height restrictions...this grow was from seed and I didn't want to pick the boys out from a screen, if I can get these damn clones to root I'll definately be scroggin next time around

Connoisseur300 - Thanks for dropping by dude, I've been inspired by your box. I've got room for two mothers in 8 3/4" sq pots or 4 in round 1.7 L pots plus clones, if I can ever get them root. What do your temps range? How many intakes do you have? My temps have been kinda out of control reaching the low 90's. I've got a 4 inch exhaust with 9 1" intakes. I'm planning on installing a CMH as I've heard they run cooler but I'd still like to get the temps in the acceptable range, mid 70's...

rcknrllmothrfck - Thanks dude keep on rockin and rollin

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
Connoisseur300 - Thanks for dropping by dude, I've been inspired by your box. I've got room for two mothers in 8 3/4" sq pots or 4 in round 1.7 L pots plus clones, if I can ever get them root. What do your temps range? How many intakes do you have? My temps have been kinda out of control reaching the low 90's. I've got a 4 inch exhaust with 9 1" intakes. I'm planning on installing a CMH as I've heard they run cooler but I'd still like to get the temps in the acceptable range, mid 70's...

Thanks for the kind words. My temps range from 65 night to 78 during the day. Their are also four 2inch intakes going from the mother room to the flower room and then through a four inch ducting into the utility room through the carbon filter and finally out the 175 vortex.

I just started running a perpetual SOG in my cab and seem to be running out of space to start new strains and house new mothers. here is a new look into my flower room with four out of six systems being harvested every ten days when I stop overgrowing the cab and get back on scedual.