What's new

Yes I really live on an Island with a tribe of Natives

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Sativa? I thought it would be 'Purple Micro Dot', haha. :woohoo:

Sounds like you've got your very own 'Jaws' type situation out there, with a killer shark on the prowl. But this time, none of the islanders are saying they need a bigger boat.
Maybe you'll break out the blooper when you get tired of watching them throw pointy sticks at it?

Thanks for the beautiful pics off of your boat. Lovely rainbow. Those are million dollar views right there...:thank you:

Sweet Padd you got there!

Sweet Padd you got there!

Those Pictures you posted of where you live are so beautiful. You are truly lucky to live in such a Beautiful place. You must wake up everyday feeling great.. I can only imagine that living in a place like that would be so peaceful.

I wish I could do the same....beautiful sand, water and climate.....oh what a dream.

Pretty creepy about the bull shark though makes ya think twice about swimming though huh?

:tiphat: :dance013: :headbange: :jump:

masamaaso

Veteran
So I guess that you will be calling your boat 'Sativa?'.....lol...

Hey man whats going on over yer way I been trying to get ya on skype but for some reason it dont wanna cooperate I can sign on and get msgs but nothing I send is getting out,,planning a run to the "big" island soon, with intentions of checking on the dogs and hanging out for a bit,, lemme know if ya need anything....:ying:

Excellent choice for a boat such as this... :)

HUMMMMM New guy on board lads,,and hes got a bit of gold on his shoulder boards,, well no matter ,welcome aboard mate,,but the new guy still rolls,, have at it mate,,,the rest of the lads will be awake soon looking for a doob...

Sativa? I thought it would be 'Purple Micro Dot', haha. :woohoo:

Sounds like you've got your very own 'Jaws' type situation out there, with a killer shark on the prowl. But this time, none of the islanders are saying they need a bigger boat.
Maybe you'll break out the blooper when you get tired of watching them throw pointy sticks at it?

Thanks for the beautiful pics off of your boat. Lovely rainbow. Those are million dollar views right there...:thank you:

Thing is I never get tired of watching um throw sticks,, is that rainbow cool or what ,,,had a 3 min shower and this was left behind,,there were 2 but the 2nd didnt fotograph well.

Those Pictures you posted of where you live are so beautiful. You are truly lucky to live in such a Beautiful place. You must wake up everyday feeling great.. I can only imagine that living in a place like that would be so peaceful.

I wish I could do the same....beautiful sand, water and climate.....oh what a dream.

Pretty creepy about the bull shark though makes ya think twice about swimming though huh?

I used to live on the corner of 2nd Ave and 8th in Brooklyn so I fell ya bro,,,I feel ya...

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
You my friend,,,WHOAAAAAA,,,, headrush,,sittin hittin the tube in the hammock...
Ahhh yea ,,ok so thats gonna be a issue unless i wanna spend all day untangling a 4 line "clusterfuk"..
Go any ideas ??? take a look at the back of the boat and have a go at it,, new gear wont be here until sept if im lucky so right now running 2 off the back is easy,, but 2s just not enough now is it ?????

Well it kinda all depends on what you're using for outriggers, but in a pinch I've used rubber bands, twist ties, light wire, etc. for release clips (you get the idea). Maybe there is a native vine that is rigid yet flexible enough to suit your purpose. None are as good as an actual adjustable release clip, but ya gotta get by with what ya got right?

You want something stiff enough to hold the line while trolling, but weak enough to break or release on a strike.

Do you ever use planers to get your baits down in the water column? Ideally (with 4 lines) none of your baits should run at the same depth or distance from the boat - the more water you cover, the more chance you have of raising fish.

That said, you don't have a lot of real estate on the ass end of Mary Jane so tending 4 wide spread lines from that position could be a challenge.

I'm baked and just tossing ideas now, but I think I'd try this setup to minimize line tangle - you'll have to tell me if you think you can pull it off: Move your two wide line rod mounts amidships with the longest outriggers you can fabricate and run one as a surface bait and one 10-20' down (small planer or lipped plug) and then run two lines at the stern, one as deep as you can get it (weighted downrigger or huge plane) and then a short line (15-25') right behind your prop wash.

Another possibility is to run a teaser rig in your prop wash and keep a rod handy to cast at whatever rises to your teasers - that's always good for an adrenaline rush!

Terroir

Out riggers only really required for serious game fishing in my opinion. No doubt theres serious fish there but Mackerel / wahoo / small tuna fishing you want to keep the line tight, no drop back. Out riggers do keep the spread sprud if ya get my gist and allow you to turn and chase a fish you might see wit out getting a tangle but prob not required in my opinion . Rubber bands work heaps well as release clips if using though. size 16's or 32s. take care when wrapping the line, look on youtube for advice as an inproperly tied rubber band can cook your line when a fish strikes through friction. When a good one bitesand youve got 100 lb of tuna circling and the line pops 20 meters from the boat its cause your rubber band cooked the line.

Should never run more lines than its possible to handle in a small boat. For your boat i would run 3 lines. just due to the beam. I would run a small 6 - 8 inch pusher of some sort (small marlin lure ). Many brands out there and you could easily make your own out of abit of hardwood and some skirts and epoxy / superglue and hooks/ sleeves and crimps. If making your own best thing you can do is make sure the lure head is weighted properly so it doesnt spin. Thats called keel weighting. A small amount of lead inserted into the lure head should do the trick. To test if your heads fine lay it on a table and if it rolls around you know its out of balance. Look at the designs of marlin lures on sites such as melton tackle. Run this lure in closest to the transom depending on you conditons. WHen ive fished in indo all the fishos wanted the lures way way back in clean water, i always want the lure close as in my opinion the best lure in the water is your boat i like the lure about 30 foot back in the wash. I would definitely run a deep diving lure. Halco or yozuri or rapala and your in business. Halcos made in indo, the laser pro 190 2 meter is prob the worlds best wahoo lure and the halco rmg 150 scorpion 5 meter is the best hard body mackerel lure. Hooks need to be changed out on the 150 scorpion for a thicker gauge run this behind the pusher. And lastly i would run a shotgun of a "poor boy" home made lure. Which is a cheap easy to make lure made of soft plastic squids. Google "Poor boy lure" . Using wire on the lures in wahoo / mack seasons and loosing the wire for tuna. I would run the poor boy way back in clean water. The poor boy does like a quicker speed but is quite effective at normal troll of 6-8 knots.

Planers im not sure that a boat like that can handle the pull of a planer let alone the rod and reel. Thats pretty specialized set ups that put alot of pressure on equipment. Certainly doggies and tuna are deep more often than not but if you know where they are deep the old live bait with line wrapped around a rock wrapped in banana leaves and free spooled 50 - 100 meters down and jerked to free swim the bait free is a proven method of catching deep tunas in the indo pacific.

You mentioned some pretty long rods. I would stick with super short rods. Better mechanical advantage and allow you to put more hurt on a fish. 30lb power pro breaks at 50-60lb if im not mistaken. 15-24 light game rods of about 5-1/2 foot are what you want. I would prob use 80lb braid like power pro on 15/24 and know my drag settings are accurate. Better chance on a big fish. 30lb braid on a decent tuna sounds like a hard slog. Gota muscle them in. Especially in a boat that isnt helping you in the fight. Keep a spare rod with a nice big marlin hook on it for the times you catch a little tuna and you find them all balled up and panicking like you posted before. Or you could just old man and the sea it on a handline.

Peace mate. Good fishing. Very jealous of your life right now.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Hellooooo masamaaso, congratulations on figuring out the name for your new boat.

I've been reading this thread a while and thought to say 'hey' finally... it is great hearing about your adventures. Brings me back in my mind to the daze when I lived on various floating constructions in a Caribbean lagoon... I'm happy you are happy :)

Attachments

• 24539_1417849765102_5373_n.jpg
    24539_1417849765102_5373_n.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 15

guineapig

Veteran
Is the boat to be used primarily for fishing or for traveling or for hauling cargo?

I guess if you live on a tropical island, a boat would make you very popular. :abduct:

Hang in there Massa!!!! :wave:

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Neekz

Love the Thread Massa!!! My wifes fam's from the north , Santa Maria, but still live the village life. You've got to be one of the luckiest buggers here! Talk about isolation, you've got UNESCO watching your back lol! Your stories are reminding me of Kenny Power's Mexico adventures lol. Go watch the first 2 seasons of "Eastbound and Down" and you'll know what I mean!

masamaaso

Veteran
Well it kinda all depends on what you're using for outriggers, but in a pinch I've used rubber bands, twist ties, light wire, etc. for release clips (you get the idea). Maybe there is a native vine that is rigid yet flexible enough to suit your purpose. None are as good as an actual adjustable release clip, but ya gotta get by with what ya got right?

You want something stiff enough to hold the line while trolling, but weak enough to break or release on a strike.

Do you ever use planers to get your baits down in the water column? Ideally (with 4 lines) none of your baits should run at the same depth or distance from the boat - the more water you cover, the more chance you have of raising fish.

That said, you don't have a lot of real estate on the ass end of Mary Jane so tending 4 wide spread lines from that position could be a challenge.

I'm baked and just tossing ideas now, but I think I'd try this setup to minimize line tangle - you'll have to tell me if you think you can pull it off: Move your two wide line rod mounts amidships with the longest outriggers you can fabricate and run one as a surface bait and one 10-20' down (small planer or lipped plug) and then run two lines at the stern, one as deep as you can get it (weighted downrigger or huge plane) and then a short line (15-25') right behind your prop wash.

Another possibility is to run a teaser rig in your prop wash and keep a rod handy to cast at whatever rises to your teasers - that's always good for an adrenaline rush!

Out riggers only really required for serious game fishing in my opinion. No doubt theres serious fish there but Mackerel / wahoo / small tuna fishing you want to keep the line tight, no drop back. Out riggers do keep the spread sprud if ya get my gist and allow you to turn and chase a fish you might see wit out getting a tangle but prob not required in my opinion . Rubber bands work heaps well as release clips if using though. size 16's or 32s. take care when wrapping the line, look on youtube for advice as an inproperly tied rubber band can cook your line when a fish strikes through friction. When a good one bitesand youve got 100 lb of tuna circling and the line pops 20 meters from the boat its cause your rubber band cooked the line.

Should never run more lines than its possible to handle in a small boat. For your boat i would run 3 lines. just due to the beam. I would run a small 6 - 8 inch pusher of some sort (small marlin lure ). Many brands out there and you could easily make your own out of abit of hardwood and some skirts and epoxy / superglue and hooks/ sleeves and crimps. If making your own best thing you can do is make sure the lure head is weighted properly so it doesnt spin. Thats called keel weighting. A small amount of lead inserted into the lure head should do the trick. To test if your heads fine lay it on a table and if it rolls around you know its out of balance. Look at the designs of marlin lures on sites such as melton tackle. Run this lure in closest to the transom depending on you conditons. WHen ive fished in indo all the fishos wanted the lures way way back in clean water, i always want the lure close as in my opinion the best lure in the water is your boat i like the lure about 30 foot back in the wash. I would definitely run a deep diving lure. Halco or yozuri or rapala and your in business. Halcos made in indo, the laser pro 190 2 meter is prob the worlds best wahoo lure and the halco rmg 150 scorpion 5 meter is the best hard body mackerel lure. Hooks need to be changed out on the 150 scorpion for a thicker gauge run this behind the pusher. And lastly i would run a shotgun of a "poor boy" home made lure. Which is a cheap easy to make lure made of soft plastic squids. Google "Poor boy lure" . Using wire on the lures in wahoo / mack seasons and loosing the wire for tuna. I would run the poor boy way back in clean water. The poor boy does like a quicker speed but is quite effective at normal troll of 6-8 knots.

Planers im not sure that a boat like that can handle the pull of a planer let alone the rod and reel. Thats pretty specialized set ups that put alot of pressure on equipment. Certainly doggies and tuna are deep more often than not but if you know where they are deep the old live bait with line wrapped around a rock wrapped in banana leaves and free spooled 50 - 100 meters down and jerked to free swim the bait free is a proven method of catching deep tunas in the indo pacific.

You mentioned some pretty long rods. I would stick with super short rods. Better mechanical advantage and allow you to put more hurt on a fish. 30lb power pro breaks at 50-60lb if im not mistaken. 15-24 light game rods of about 5-1/2 foot are what you want. I would prob use 80lb braid like power pro on 15/24 and know my drag settings are accurate. Better chance on a big fish. 30lb braid on a decent tuna sounds like a hard slog. Gota muscle them in. Especially in a boat that isnt helping you in the fight. Keep a spare rod with a nice big marlin hook on it for the times you catch a little tuna and you find them all balled up and panicking like you posted before. Or you could just old man and the sea it on a handline.

Peace mate. Good fishing. Very jealous of your life right now.

Aw right you guys are on it,,,some dam good stuff men,,,dam good stuff, the wifes cut me off Amazon (for now) so what I got is gonna be it for awhile and hope fully I wont find myself wanting one of those $2.900 reels,,,but they do look nice,,and Im deff gonna get some adjustable release clips soonest ..sounds like my ticket,, you guys keep it up....

Hellooooo masamaaso, congratulations on figuring out the name for your new boat.

I've been reading this thread a while and thought to say 'hey' finally... it is great hearing about your adventures. Brings me back in my mind to the daze when I lived on various floating constructions in a Caribbean lagoon... I'm happy you are happy :)

Good to have ya,bark up when ya feel the need.

Is the boat to be used primarily for fishing or for traveling or for hauling cargo?

I guess if you live on a tropical island, a boat would make you very popular.

Hang in there Massa!!!!

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Hello Pig,,always good to hear from ya,
The new boats for all the above,,it was built to be a small cargo boat,the hull and "wing floats" are designed to keep buoyancy when loaded(with no load the wings stay out of the water most of the time) and 2 engines for forward movement, but to tell ya the truth Ive only used both when getting back in the river is a bitch,, with all the water flowing off the mountain the force of flow at low tide can be rough. I plan on doing all 3, fishing when the urge hits,,heading off for visits to other islands and even other countries and doing our own supply runs to Sabath Jolo and PI islands, the first of which is coming up soon ,,,rainy season is here so I wanna get stocked up...

Love the Thread Massa!!! My wifes fam's from the north , Santa Maria, but still live the village life. You've got to be one of the luckiest buggers here! Talk about isolation, you've got UNESCO watching your back lol! Your stories are reminding me of Kenny Power's Mexico adventures lol. Go watch the first 2 seasons of "Eastbound and Down" and you'll know what I mean!

Welcome aboard lad,,,settle in........ UNESCOs not exactly a back watcher,,,more like on my back is better said,, seems about twice 3 times a year they come up with some horse shit reason why I should leave here, then my wifes grandfather will bark up and tell um all to get fuked,,when that happens ,,,everybody listens, he dont get pissed often so when he does,,pay attention....

:pirate:

The fish foto is a friend who hand lines with 120lb nylon and makes his own lures I'll try to get some piks of his gear next time we meet out there, and thats a 15kilo King fish,,32lbs.

Attachments

• 260520134465.jpg
    260520134465.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMGP0019.jpg
    IMGP0019.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 18

hagiss

:moon:<<<moony!!
hey muka they auto cheese fae dinafem and 1 auto super cali haze & 1 auto purple<<< 10 wk job so the packs say ill let the scope be the judge on that one.

007.jpg <<< hear a little snap of a photo period white widow I got at a cliff top out doors.

time for morning bong rips fella then some porridge << good start to any scotts mans day... im 31 today so gona eat smoke and shit like a king for the day lol take care stay safe muka:tiphat:hagi$$

Terroir

just thinking re out riggers you could easy use bamboo with a pulley at the top and bottom. Use some brick layers cord to run you out rigger line and rubber band to that. If you wanted to run a wide spread that is.

Prob i see is rod holders. In the islands we used pvc pipes with a screw (to hold the rod butt) through it for a rod holder bound to the stringers of the rig with heaps of cord and epoxy glue. Could easily over complicate things.

Though while im thinking about that i keep thinking about a green stick rig. That you could possibly do (trying not to rip a hole in your boat). A green stick sits up vertically about 30 to 50 foot straight up above your boat. It tows a large bird (basically heavy piece of wood) attached to the line you have 10 or so rubber squids that spend most of their time out of the water than in the water. Tuna love this. They jump clean out of the water and smash the squids. Its a proven commercial tuna set up from Japan thts also parctised in hawaii and other places round the world. Heres a photo that explains it better. Ive never done it and never seen it done here.

Attachments

• url-3.jpg
    url-3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 11

masamaaso

Veteran
:moon:<<<moony!!
hey muka they auto cheese fae dinafem and 1 auto super cali haze & 1 auto purple<<< 10 wk job so the packs say ill let the scope be the judge on that one.

View attachment 225209 <<< hear a little snap of a photo period white widow I got at a cliff top out doors.

time for morning bong rips fella then some porridge << good start to any scotts mans day... im 31 today so gona eat smoke and shit like a king for the day lol take care stay safe mukahagi$$

:party:HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUDDY :rtfo:

just thinking re out riggers you could easy use bamboo with a pulley at the top and bottom. Use some brick layers cord to run you out rigger line and rubber band to that. If you wanted to run a wide spread that is.

Prob i see is rod holders. In the islands we used pvc pipes with a screw (to hold the rod butt) through it for a rod holder bound to the stringers of the rig with heaps of cord and epoxy glue. Could easily over complicate things.

Though while im thinking about that i keep thinking about a green stick rig. That you could possibly do (trying not to rip a hole in your boat). A green stick sits up vertically about 30 to 50 foot straight up above your boat. It tows a large bird (basically heavy piece of wood) attached to the line you have 10 or so rubber squids that spend most of their time out of the water than in the water. Tuna love this. They jump clean out of the water and smash the squids. Its a proven commercial tuna set up from Japan thts also parctised in hawaii and other places round the world. Heres a photo that explains it better. Ive never done it and never seen it done here.

I got some ideas spinning for sure,one was an outrigger style like you mentioned another was needing walk boards out back,,,as you said ,,,ass end of her is narrow.
All that will go on in Jan Feb when the bad weather gets here and I take it out of the water and "hang" it need to start collecting paint and lumber now,,,I like to have things on hand when its time....

For now its blue fins and Im not much interested,, most are 2-3 kilos dont put up much of a fight ,,in fact they"ll glide across the water as yer yanking it in, and a 2 kilo fish when bigger game fish are around can get ya frustrated even a lil pissed.
Spent this morning in a quiet back water lagoon with a light rod and reel 4 lb mono and barb less hooks,having fun catching reef fish,,,We dont care for um to much(less we're real hungry) mainly cause of the bones, so i tug um in play um with the drag ,,,then let um go,,the waters clear to the bottom so its cool to toss a spinner bait in and bring it past the fish watching them,,if their interested or not,, then see um going in for a snack.

Got a new camera yesterday,,,yesterday???? no,,,day before....
with the shitty weather a hand full of ships pull in the the back waters and wait it out,,,thats where I get my best stuff sometimes,,,this time I made it known I was looking for a cheap ass digital camera and one of the cooks helpers on a chinese ship traded my for a hand full of pearls and 10kilos of our highland rice(its that good) he wanted 25.
But i needed a cam and will not buy one until I get a GoPro.

masamaaso

Veteran
thought I posted these yesterday.....
Plant in the last pik is about ready,, just gotta get up the strength to cut her down, 2 more in there ready in a few weeks,,hand full 2 months and a few still veggin,,, draw back 16B on growing Electric Sativa Bud,,,,uneven ripening times,, and now the weathers gone ta shit for the next 2-3 months,, I'll be jarrin some tasty nugs soon,

Attachments

• SAM_0596.jpg
    SAM_0596.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 19
  • SAM_0606.jpg
    SAM_0606.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 21
  • SAM_0609.jpg
    SAM_0609.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 16
  • SAM_0612.jpg
    SAM_0612.jpg