What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yes I really live on an Island with a tribe of Natives

N

noyd666

:biggrin: good to see and read you are all well,lol youcould have said breast lol but tit will do. glad to see you packed your future smokes along, :thank you:

bad gas

Good morning masamaaso! Good to see ya back.

You handle life on the edge very well. I figured you guys had a cave somewhere safe. Sounds like most of the important things survived and everyone's safe. I'll tell my g/f.

Grow on, indicas! Have a nice day. bg

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
At the end of something like this all you can do is look at all your loved ones and be glad they are still here.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the update masa...sounds like it got pretty hairy for a while!
Glad you all made it thru okay, sucks about the corn and rice, what will you guys do? can you plant something in the mean time?
Good thing you saved your little babies!
peace and puffs to you and your fam masa

nvthis

We spent 2 days in the caves watching it rain sideways and shit flying by like whole trees.
The caves go in pretty deep and each family has a spot where they go when storms come, some even leave cloths and some food up there, we holed up with my wifes family and started carving out our own spot near by, soon enough granpa started talking telling us how times like this brings new life, " we will all survive like weve done in the past, protected by the spirits of the mountain, the spirits give us a place to survive when life will be lost outside of the caves,, for every tree fallen in the forest it makes way for 100 more to grow (*sidenote* we will go out and hand cut all if not most of the fallen trees into rough lumber)
When the river floods it brings new soils from the mountain into the rice and corn fields telling us that the first harvest after a bad storm is always a big one. The ground water gets refilled and the fresh water in the river in full of new life ready for us to harvest and eat, storms bring alot of good after the bad.

.:ying:

Dude, very interesting. Such a contrast to the cave of death and all the headless Japanese that live there...

Sitting in a cave during a typhoon and watching trees fly by... A behavior that is probably practiced on islands all over the world. And yet, you may be one of only a handful that will ever know what that is truly like. The rest of us can only imagine it (and, oddly enough, through all the Gilligans Islands episodes we digested as young 'uns). That's cool as shit...

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
exhilarating just to read the description of your last few days!! Many thoughts of you and yours after hearing about the storm headed yer way; glad everything is okay, minus the rice snd corn crops. I am sure the tribe will persevere, it always had, right?

rbdf

Terroir

GLad your okay.

I head about all the fishermen that were lost and immediately thought of your home. Typhoons are not pretty.

Re the trees flying by. I know a guy that is a butterfly collector. He was deep in the jungle in Papua during a cyclone. They missed the helicopter pick up and spent 3 days clinging to life while shit got tore up. The trees were what he talked about. Every few seconds a massive old growth 30 ton rainforest tree would get torn out of the ground and thrown at them The noise they made when they snapped was as loud as a bomb going off. It took them 10 days to walk to a village as they were given no chance of survival and no search party was sent.

Green81

Veteran
Very happy to hear your family and friends are safe and well, really look forward to reading your thread about the island.

I think you should right a book, combining your world, all it's amazing stories with cannabis tales and growing tribulations, It would be a bestseller. But promise me if Hollywood come knocking for the rights, you would tell them to screw themselves? :)

Bring on the indicas, and create some Amazing Island ployhybrids!

Peace. G81

S

SeaMaiden

Honestly, if I still had certain connections in the trade I would be putting together a shipment of rice. They were focused on PI, but still. I think a lot of people are going to be needing some help.

Treetops

Glad to hear you and your family are doing ok. I agree with Green81 as a book is order...what a place to write...
Thanks,
Treetops

nuskool89

Maso your life and story blows me away, you are a very wise man. I find myself re-reading bits and pieces I really liked throughout the thread, after the fact that I have already read every page. Your story speaks, and I am tentively listening. You sound like the ultimate drinking/smoking buddy.

I just joined yesturday, but havn't made it out of the "Introduce Yourself" section because of this thread and my own. I am excited about ICmag, no more RIU.

From Texas with respect.

masamaaso

Veteran
I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot of cleanup to do and it's just cutting into his 'puter time.

Yup theres the understatement of the month,,,man what I wouldnt do for a chainsaw and a small John Deer.

Honestly, if I still had certain connections in the trade I would be putting together a shipment of rice. They were focused on PI, but still. I think a lot of people are going to be needing some help.

Ya got that right,,PI took a bad hit but theres alot of other places that got slammed that are not quite as quick to ask for the world to run aid them places you never hear about or see on the news.
Best we're gonna get is MAYBE an Indo gunboat will do a few laps looking for bodies that got washed into the sea, thier hopes would be total devistation and lose of all life so they could come in a mine the island into a flat waste land, but there wont be much more than that heading this way, And thats the way they like it here,,2 years ago after a storm a P3 orion made about 8-9 low level passes overhead, about the 5th or 6th it started getting rocks tossed at it in a symbolic gester of chaseing them off,,,made for more humor than anything..

lots of new huts are going up everyday,,,I tell ya its amazing to watch,,,25-30 people each with just one or 2 functions in the building process can make a great looking hut in a few hours,,said hut that will stand till the next typhoon or a cooking accident.. Got a good hand full of boats back in the water fishing everyday so now the food supply is back online,, the guys arnt going offshore yet ,,just staying on the reefs so all were getting is "reef fish",, parrot fish,, trigger fish,,eels and lots of shells.
ThereS a reason the coconut treE is called "the tree of life''
we gonna be eating A LOT of it for the next few months,
lots of coconut trees got pulled up knocked down or just plain snapped about 20 feet up and the top flew off, either way theres tons of fruit in different growth stages all over the ground, all of it will be collected and used in some way,,the fallen trees are getting hand sawn into rough boards, most will get used for live stock shelters, coconut wood is soft,,cuts easy and only lasts a few years, termites get to it quick and honycomb the soft wood until it just falls apart,,all the big leaves from the tree get made into roofing "panels" and as soon as 3-4 giant water buffalos pull the stump and clear the root ball away another tree from the nursery area gets planted in its place. Theres going to be about 12 guys who will be doing the replanting, at one stump every 2-3 days its going to take over a year to replant, but they will replant every fallen tree when their done.

Theres no lose of life here on this island but flooding on another close by claimed 40 lives and 15 still missing, its the bigger island with the street markets about a days boat ride from here, which means the prices of everything just went double for the next 6-8 months.
Me and the boys are gearing up now for a few days in the upper hillsides to go round up our live stock, now is the time I really wish I had another bike, and rounding up animals that have wondered off is not as cut and dry as it seems, First off its the animals and their spirits that convinced the people to leave their homes and go to the mountain caves,,as the storm got closer all the animals from the cows to the chickens headed for higher ground, the people followed them to safety not the other way around. These people dont abuse or beat their work or food animals,, if the cow dosent wanna pull the sled she's not gonna pull it, and beating her to do it means forcing the cow to do something against its will, makeing for ,,,,you got it ,,,an unhappy cow,, the unhappy cow will then in turn call on the spirit of the cows, who will then turn against the natives,,,everyone with me one this ???
So carroling up a hand full of cows 2 "handson as hell bulls" (yup there mine) a lot of pigs and hundreds of goats takes some time,,,the animals have to want to return, they cant be forced.
Best way to do this is food,but theres a big catch,,if their all up on the hillsides right now chances are theyve found some nice yummy stuff to munch on different stuff than in the low land so if theres yummies up there its gonna be a bitch getting um back,,the cows that is,,the goats are easy,,find the big male with a ball sack the size of 2 grapefruits, get him mad at ya,,and I mean really pissed which dosent take much and he'll chase ya for miles until he's head butted at ya a few thousand times,, he'll get ya a few times here and there but most of its head butting the air as he leaps out at ya,,, he's easy to get out of the way from,,,gotten me a few time though,,pearl harbored me one night and knocked me over,,which got me pissed so I chased it around for 20-30 mins snapping and growling at it, my dog looked at me and turned his head away as if to say he didnt know me...:laughing:
But once he's one the move his girls follow the rest of the crowd follows them;
The pigs are pigs and will follow a handfull of corn over a cliff and are easy to find, a heard of pigs makes a hellofa path,, follow it and they'll be at the end, show um some corn and they'll follow ya anywhere.

Heres a few fotos of the first fresh meat we've had in over a week, in the pan there Pork,,chicken and goat meat, look close enough you can see an eye ball..:ying:

Attachments

• IMGP0452.jpg
    IMGP0452.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMGP0451.jpg
    IMGP0451.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 21

honeyoil

Masaamaso, Thank you for this thread. Just read the whole thing. Love it. Next January, I am retiring to Bohol, Philippines with my own brown woman. She is the best. Her family has welcomed me and I look forward to living in the "Greenest place in the greenest place on earth" (that's what the locals say about Bohol).

We have a little plantation, with mahogany trees and cocoa interspersed.

Your posts give me hope of growing my favorite herb there.

Best to you and your family!!