What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yayyy! My first colloidal silver generator (photo)

jump117

Veteran
I've read the size of colloidal clusters depends on current density (current/square) and electrode distance.
They also say the smaller is the better and the best current is 16mA.

M

MicroGrow420

Does anyone know if spraying cs on a male plant would make it produce pistils? Ive seen this asked about 10 times in this thread but everyone just seems to ignore the question. PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS!

M

MicroGrow420

Ok im broke so i cant buy silver. But my mom gave me a 1954 silver quarter which i googled and found out is 90% silver and 10% copper will this work?

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
MicroGrow420, maybe nobody knows?

Your coin won't work from what I have read. You use distilled water and pure silver for a reason. Something tells me that 10% copper in your pure silver may not be the path to success? :chin: 999 = 99.9% pure silver.

I see you unregistered and I hope things are ok.

K

Kal-El

Does anyone know if spraying cs on a male plant would make it produce pistils? Ive seen this asked about 10 times in this thread but everyone just seems to ignore the question. PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS!

Most people kill males, prolly not going to get your answer unless you try it.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
In regards to using a coin that has 10% copper, the question is ... WHY!? It might work, although the resulting colloid would assumingly have suspended copper particles as well. But pure silver is so cheap and readily available, so I wouldn't waste your time.

In regards to using colloidal silver to turn a male into a female, no it doesn't work like that sorry. Colloidal silver is an ethylene inhibitor, so you can use it to force a female to develop some male pollen, but you can't use it to force a male to become female. (Why would you anyway? You wouldn't be able to smoke the resulting silver-soaked buds)

Vegetable rights and peace

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
GeD,
in flower do i carry on sprayin the leaves or the buds
I give the whole plant a thorough soaking, but the silver is taken in by foliar feeding so spraying the leaves alone might be enough, but you're inevitably going to have some dripping onto the buds anyway, so if you're thinking of trying to avoid getting any silver on the buds so you can smoke the buds later forget it!

At the end of the day if you use anything like colloidal silver, giberilic acid, STS or anything else then really you're sacrificing that plant - you wont get any smoke out of it (and if you do smoke it you're either desperate, an idiot, or all of the above), but with a bit of luck you'll get feminised pollen out of it ... I think that's a fair trade-off :)

DiscoBickie,
Anybody see the blue man on TV? He ingested colloidal silver for a skin condition and it turned him blue.
Yup, the condition is called argyria ... "usually benign and limited to skin discoloration, however there are isolated reports of more serious neurologic, renal, or hepatic complications. A death has been reported in the medical literature as a result of colloidal silver use; in that case, a 71-year-old man developed status epilepticus which the authors felt was due to silver toxicity."

This bloke could probably create feminised pollen just by pissing on a plant...
argyria_man.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.Bigbud

easy phenomenal, is there any reason why you couldn't take the colloidal silver from the chemist's and boil off some of the water? would save a load of hassle if you could just buy it, whack it on the stove to reduce, and voila! good luck with your exploits though, i will be watching this!!

Mr.Bigbud

GeD,

I give the whole plant a thorough soaking, but the silver is taken in by foliar feeding so spraying the leaves alone might be enough, but you're inevitably going to have some dripping onto the buds anyway, so if you're thinking of trying to avoid getting any silver on the buds so you can smoke the buds later forget it!

At the end of the day if you use anything like colloidal silver, giberilic acid, STS or anything else then really you're sacrificing that plant - you wont get any smoke out of it (and if you do smoke it you're either desperate, an idiot, or all of the above), but with a bit of luck you'll get feminised pollen out of it ... I think that's a fair trade-off :)

DiscoBickie,

Yup, the condition is called argyria ... "usually benign and limited to skin discoloration, however there are isolated reports of more serious neurologic, renal, or hepatic complications. A death has been reported in the medical literature as a result of colloidal silver use; in that case, a 71-year-old man developed status epilepticus which the authors felt was due to silver toxicity."

argyria_man.jpg

he looks like papa smurf!

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Mr Bigbud,
Your question about reducing CS via boiling is an interesting one, I don't have a definitive answer for that sorry but if you read the back label on any bottle of CS you buy it says to keep away from both light and HEAT, so I'd suspect that boiling it would have a negative effect.

If you shop around you can find reasonable-priced CS, but most of the stuff from pharmacies is very expensive, especially given how little PPM they are and given how easy and cheap it is to make your own at home.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
I come bearing good news ... as it turns out it seems you DON'T NECESSARILY NEED to spray the plant with CS before you know its sex - you can wait until you see the first pistils and then spray, and still end up with pollen bananas. At least that's what's happened in my latest experiment.

I only had 2 x Sour Diesel IBL seeds left (a personal fave strain), so I wanted to preserve the strain by making more beans - my initial intention being to create feminised ones. On the 8th of August i put them under 12/12 to begin flowering, which resulted in one male and one female. I had initially planned to use colloidal silver to make some feminised pollen, so in late August i applied CS a couple times a day, for about 10 days.

This is approximately two or three weeks after I had found out it was a female, so the buds were well into development stage.

But then I thought "these are my last two Sour Diesels... if the CS doesnt go to plan then I'll be down to zero, so I should at least use the regular pollen from the male to fertilize the female".

So after the ~10 days I stopped applying CS, and on the 2nd of Sept i applied regular pollen.

But now its middle of September and I've definitely got a few bananas growing, alongside the seeded buds.

So the seeds from it will be regular Sour Diesel x Sour Diesel, but the pollen I get from it will be feminised SD, and I can then grow the regular seeds that I get off it and apply the pollen to get feminised seeds, as well as applying it to any other females I have at the time to create some nice feminised Sour Diesel crosses

It worked fine last time with C99 (and every feminised C99 bean i've ever grown from that has turned out female), and I'm feeling pretty confident about this one too :)

So in conclusion ...
1) i didnt spray any CS until about 2 or so weeks after knowing that it was a female (so after it had been under 12/12 lighting for nearly a month)
2) i only sprayed for 10 days yet still ended up with a respectable amount of pollen bananas
3) the bananas still popped up even though the plant had been pollenated with regular pollen
4) the pollenated buds still grew good viable regular seeds even though it had been CS'd to the point of producing pollen

Last edited:

relief

I have the same exact results. I started spraying them AFTER they showed sex and after I put them outside to go into flower (12/12). Also I only sprayed them once a day for 5 days. I thought I waited too long, so I said "screw it, I'll just let them go and try again next run." Low and behold the widow and rhino I sprayed are developing bananas two and a half weeks into flower. But I will say, I let my generator go over night about 12 hours, so it was really concentrated. Also, every night I made a new batch and the unused colloidal silver was discarded.

This is so easy a caveman could do it. Thanks to the OP for the tutorial! Free fem seeds... excellent.

*EDIT* Heres a picture, this is a clone that has never hermied until I sprayed it with CS. Click the bar to get a good look at it.

picture.php

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
relief,
Cheers for the feedback!!! The more people that play around with CS and post their results the clearer the picture becomes for all of us :)

So both our experiments seem to suggest that CS can be used probably even very late into flowering ...

For example (just thinking out loud and outside the box for a moment) ... it might be possible to bring a female that you have never sprayed to harvest (an early harvest would obviously be better) and remove say 80% of the buds for smoking, then start applying CS to the remaining buds and leaves to induce pollen.

As long as you can keep the plant healthy for another 1-2 months for the pollen to mature then I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, although because it'd be in such a late stage of its life 'selfing' the remaining buds with its own pollen might not be viable.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
I originally planned to have a seperate cab to self a plant with CS, but due to circumstances I only have one cab now so I think I'll be smoking seedy buds for a while.

I have two Pure plants from the same clone, one is little, one is huge. I flipped them both yesterday and I sprayed the small clone for the first time and will continue. I do this outside the cab so the large plant doesn't get any CS and I can still smoke it once I remove the seeds. I'll dispose of the hermied one when it's done it's job.

The seed-bearer is a fairly large plant and I would like 400 or more seeds if possible. I was reading earlier how it's hard to get them to release pollen sometimes. Will I have a fully seeded plant, or not? Think I'd get a few hundred at least?

Very windy cab, a bit under 2x2'. These are the 2 plants. Very grateful for any opinions...

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
The longer you wait for the pollen to mature the more youll find theyll open up, but you still may need to manually cut some with a blade. Also it goes without saying that the more budsites you have the more pollen bananas that can form, so if you want a lot of pollen you should veg the plant to a good size before flowering ... you won't get too much pollen off that small little thing in your photo sorry, however if you use it very carefully you could still get good coverage over the target plant from a manual pollenation