What's new

xmobotx' "true organic" method & discussion

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah man - that's perfect!

i plan to get some chickens going here too - gonna do a "chicken tractor"

probably do the same thing w/ the bedding - but, might do the sheet compost thing since the chicken tractor will be an effort to prepare beds for gardening (years long method)

U

ureapwhatusow

Here's mine..................

Base Mix

4x coconut coir
3x peat moss
1x vermiculite
1x perlite
1x pumice

Mineral Mix

1x Azomite
1x glacial rock dust
1x soft rock phosphate
1x NJ green sand
1x limestone

Compost Mix
1x local organic compost
1x Alaska humus
1x EWC

Amendment Mix

Several seed meals, fish meal, fish bone meal, kelp meal, neem meal, crab/shrimp meal, bokashi bran.

Lime Mix (as per Steve Solomon's COF formula)

1x dolomite lime
1x oyster shell powder
1x gypsum

Soil Mix - 5 gallons

3x base mix
1x compost mix
1 cup amendment mix
1.5 cups mineral mix
.25 cup lime mix

CC

I would so love to see this mix in one of the organic stickies like organic fanatic

I hate to just post your mix elsewhere, just be an easy reference point for prosperity

:)

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Same mix I went with except I went with guano's instead of the meals. in the future I'll be putting my meal mix together.

But otherwise, exact mix as above and I am very, very happy with it. I made 100 gallons and it only lasted a day :D need to get some more base and I have 50lb bags left of all the other ingredients. So cheaper every time I mix up some. The gypsum/lime etc will last forever.

Smiley

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Same mix I went with except I went with guano's instead of the meals. in the future I'll be putting my meal mix together.

But otherwise, exact mix as above and I am very, very happy with it. I made 100 gallons and it only lasted a day :D need to get some more base and I have 50lb bags left of all the other ingredients. So cheaper every time I mix up some. The gypsum/lime etc will last forever.

Smiley
Definitely consider recycling your mix.
I can't remember if CC said he recycles his soil? That's where things get cheaper,and the soil gets better. I recycle all my soil,I only buy amendments...no more perlite,vermiculite,peat moss....maybe even no more coir.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Yes, yes - recycle your potting soils. Especially if you're using a mix like this one. Bat guano, for example, takes about 8 months to breakdown completely. Kelp is about 4 months. Minerals probably never completely breakdown.

And CC1 is right - when you recycle your soils the cost per grow drops dramatically.

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
All I buy anymore are goodies for it or stuff to replace depleted amounts of food for the microherd. Fish Hydrolysate,guano's,kelp,EWC,fish bone meal,and other little extra's if I want to spend the $$$. The stuff looks better every time I go to use it again. It's really incredible actually...... Less problems,and hey,"what can I say about this elixir....put it on your shoes,wax your surfboard with it,shines the wheels,etc." (Zappa's 200 motels)

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
What do you do with the rootballs?
Take the rootballs (the entire deal) and put them into a large bin and hit them with a hi-dose of EM-1 or your own BIM and in a few weeks the roots will be gone, the soil enriched and ready to use again.

If you want a grow store solution you can use Hygrozyme (sp?) which is far more expensive. Same technology/process, i.e. using lactobacillus strains to break down the organic matter.

HTH

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
What do you do with the rootballs?
Jaykush recommends leaving them in there and I agree except I'm on more of a production trip. I only take the stump and remove all my hands can tear away from it. I leave 90% of the roots in the soil and just till them in with additional amendments.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
No, I really want to get going on some EM-1. I really am running out of things I need from a grow store..... bulbs maybe :D

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would so love to see this mix in one of the organic stickies~

yeah CC's formula is great and his method lends itself well to recycling

Smiley

thanks for sharing your pix in my thread man - that's what i m about here is methods and making it happen. sometimes these mixes seem a little complicated - but they're not bad till you're mixing fat quantities (like you did)

Definitely consider recycling your mix.
I can't remember if CC said he recycles his soil? That's where things get cheaper,and the soil gets better. I recycle all my soil,I only buy amendments...no more perlite,vermiculite,peat moss....maybe even no more coir.

Yes, yes - recycle your potting soils. Especially if you're using a mix like this one. Bat guano, for example, takes about 8 months to breakdown completely. Kelp is about 4 months. Minerals probably never completely breakdown.

And CC1 is right - when you recycle your soils the cost per grow drops dramatically.

CC

i m a firm believer in recycling mixes - even if it is through the compost pile

but, once again, like mentioned w/ CC's method you just use your fert mix and mineral mix to replenish (maybe top-dress as the plants need it)

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow! lots of responses on this page

re: recycling the soil; i like the idea of having 2 batches so one's ready while the other is starting to sit

I recall ML saying there's phosphorous in the roots - so they become an amendment
GeorgeSmiley said:
Fudge organic I'm goin hydroz

fargin icehole

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no way man - just spoofin off of "fudge" - seen Johnny Dangerously?

glad to have you here posting!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I've been waiting for over 20 years to taste a hydroponically-grown tomato that actually tastes like a food.

Forget tasting like an actual tomato - let's start with small steps.

CC