What's new

xmobotx' "true organic" method & discussion

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so the Kmag is loaded w/ sulfur but its a gradual release (as many minerals are) which means you want it as an 'original' amendment in your mix before you let it cook or plant into it

i have always figured that rock powders and mined products need some time - many aren't dong much till you recycle and later

maybe replenish them at 1/4 strength when recycling

all the amendments i have ever had wouldnt cost a whole bunch even all at once - lol - dolo lime, jersey greensand, bat guano, and DE

i have had and used blood and bone meal but find they give my mix a sour smell

colloidal rock phosphate too - but a lot of folks will tell you its radioactive or some shit

i think those italic'd ones and some azomite would be fairly complete w/ homemade compost, homemade EWC, and probably a little jolt of alfalfa tea and flower tea (FPEs) here and there

grapeman

Veteran
so the Kmag is loaded w/ sulfur but its a gradual release (as many minerals are) which means you want it as an 'original' amendment in your mix before you let it cook or plant into it

i think those italic'd ones and some azomite would be fairly complete w/ homemade compost, homemade EWC, and probably a little jolt of alfalfa tea and flower tea (FPEs) here and there

Anyway xmobotx, that's the way I do it. I even ordered some "premium K-Mag_ from the manufacterer, but after looking at the product, I'm just going to stick with the Sul-Po-Mag in my soil mix. that stuff is not as refined as the "premium" k-mag and I'm sure a slower release form. Just what I would like in my soil.

But that soluble sulfate of potash is 100% soluble and a great product when mixed with water for irrigation. The plants LOVE it. Believe me. You got to get it at an Ag supply store or on Ebay.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I'm going to incorporate some sul-po-mag in my next round of indoor recycled mix for the first time....I've used it on outdoor veggie gardens...but all you guys talking about it makes me want to try it indoors. The sulfur is something I've been missing in it.

All the strongest smelling veggies are loaded with sulfur. Just think garlic and onion. I have read that sulfur also plays a role in essential oil production in herbs.

Its been years since I have used any of Botanicares "Sweet" products but I'm pretty sure the active ingredient besides cane sugar is sulfur. That is where the flavor comes from.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
quick google found this other discussion on 'gardenweb?'

mixing greensand w/ sulphate of potash

i did one of those little NPK/PH tests from the garden center and found a dearth of potassium as well but used wood ashes to help remedy (PH was too acid)

also, i have a lot of tundra looking regions on my place w/ fungus - I'm probably a little acid everywhere - but the native plants love it!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pole_bn.jpg

patch.jpg

carrot_bean.jpg

i kinda fell off the face of icmag for a while but, my garden is still going in full swing
-thought i would update w/ some pix

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
harvested some beans and potatoes today -

bns_toma.jpg

spud_harvest1.jpg

whoever might wonder, the damn pages scroll all jerky and slow on this site - even lowered to view 5 posts per page - still cumbersome

so, enough was enough i guess

Manitoid

found this thread a little too late. I like what you are saying about "true organic"

Just because you can buy many organic products from the store and spend lots of money doesn't mean that it is ecologically sound.

But shovelling 10 truckload of composted horse shit into and out of your truck from your neighbors house is ecologically sound and truely organic.

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

check out my sig link grow xmobotx... Im on board with what you have to say!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
~check out my sig link grow xmobotx... Im on board with what you have to say!

talk about a little late .. i guess i been absent a while (the site seemed to fundtion very slowly for me and i just got tired of the lag ~ works great today so I may hang out for a while -if it doesn't start to really lag again)

But yeah - you are right on track - it's amazing to me how much people pay and the "cost" of some grows

when i first started, i bought some products ~more and more; i buy nothing - it's all free coming out of the ground all around me :dance013:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, sadly my little garden plot got decimated by the recent and sudden high temps here - thought it would be real good based on spring's performance but now I'm hoping to get something going for fall crops - wish I'd taken some spring pix

i figure on doing spinach and beets but looking for advice on what might be good fall crops - we expect frost in october

*edit - i m sure carrots would be good too

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well thanks for some reason i took a picture of sifting compost and adding alfalfa to the remaining pile - mower's broke or i would have chop it up

picture.php

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK time for some content

been plenty busy 'farming' here

we're doing ley rotation in our main field already a run of clover and 2 of 4 areas have produced a season of grass grain; barley in the one and oats in the other
barley:

oats:

once the fall rains started; i raked in the remainder as I did a once over of the entire field {thats bein cultivated} today; there's grass grain 'volunteers' {technically i planted them raking them in}

IMO the success of barley sprout washes as a supplement {tea?} is representative of that portion of this ley rotation practice {the grass grain rotation}
here's my barley sprout wash experiment:

and finally; discussing compost/nutrient cycling/aging mixes w/ clack reminded me i could post this exciting pic of my worm bin come compost bin:

anyway; the worms were terminated by summers heat/my negligence. So; i mixed recycled soil mix from tomato containers etc. w/ of course the plants; some of the worm castings; some finished compost ~basically equal parts

then, of course kitchen waste is going on top. pumpkins came from a friend who does a lot of carvings around halloween and though they dont look bad in the pix; they have soft spots/grossness going on ~i should break them up!

keeping the tub/bin in our unheated shop and this spring; i m going to actually BUY worms {wtf?} been capturing manure worms and populating the bin w/ natives ~i want to actually know i have eisenia foetida and see if theres any differences that matter to me

{smiley exceeded image limits}