World's Farmers Feel The Effects Of A Hotter Planet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
World's Farmers Feel The Effects Of A Hotter Planet

May 7, 2011
Scientists have long predicted that — eventually — temperatures and altered rainfall caused by global climate change will take a toll on four of the most important crops in the world: rice, wheat soy and corn.

Now, as world grain prices hover near record highs, a new study finds that the effects are already starting to be felt.

"For two crops, maize (corn) and wheat, there has actually been a decline in yields, if you account for the trend in climate — especially the warming trend that we've observed over the last 30 years," says Wolfram Schlenker, who teaches environmental economics at Columbia University. He's a co-author of the study, along with David Lobell and Justin Costa-Roberts at Stanford University.

The scientists looked specifically at places where there are warming trends, and sure enough, they found these staple crops weren't doing quite as well.

For rice and soy, declines in some places were offset by productivity boosts elsewhere in the world, so there was no overall change. But they did see a change for wheat and corn.

The losses caused by warming thus far are still smaller than the gains made though improved agriculture.

"We're not saying yields have gone down, just to make this clear," Schlenker says. "What we're saying is yields are lower than they would have been without the climate trend. So yields have still been going up over the last 30 years."

The study is published online by Science magazine. It shows that these crops have declined about 5 percent over what they would have been in the absence of warming. That sounds small, until you consider that globally, these crops are worth about a trillion dollars a year. Five percent of a trillion dollars is $50 billion, "which I think is quite sizeable," Schlenker says.

And that number is probably just the beginning. Gerald Nelson at the International Food Policy Research Institute in Washington, D.C., says that as the planet heats up in the coming decades, the 5 percent loss today could easily grow to 20 percent.

"Definitely do not consider shrugging that off," he says. "We can expect to see higher prices that are going to cause problems around the world."

And most of those problems hit people who can afford it the least.

"Who gets hurts most are people those who spend most of their money on food and who spend most of their money on eating commodities directly," Nelson says.

Here in the United States, a doubling of wheat prices might only add a dime to the cost of a $2 loaf of bread, he says. But double the price of rice and people who fill their food bowl with that grain every day will really feel it.

Americans are also insulated from this effect for another reason. The new study found that the effects of warming have not been felt evenly around the world.

"The one big exception we actually found is the United States," Schlenker says. "This is the one place that doesn't have a big temperature trend."

And since America's breadbasket has not warmed, American grain farmers have been fortunate. Professor Gene Takle at Iowa State University says farmers in the Midwest have instead dealt with a long-term trend of additional rainfall in that area.

"Farmers are very good at adapting to climate change," he says. "And when the ranges of climate are not too extreme, they can and they are adjusting."

Midwestern farmers have adapted to the added wetness by spraying more pesticides to control fungus, by planting more per acre, and by buying bigger machines to cope with the wetter fields, he says. And Takle says the farmers will surely be able to adapt to at least some degree of warming, which is likely sooner or later.

"That's a real critical issue — what is the range of temperature or climate conditions to which we can adapt, and when do we exceed those?"

Many other farmers around the world are already starting to find out where those limits lie as they confront higher temperatures.

grapeman

Veteran
Bullshit article.

Global commodity prices for food (rice, wheat etc.) are at all time highs due to QE1 & QE2 and population increases.

This article you cite is just another in a long line of proponent propaganda for global warming.

But the underlying premise is bullshit (aside from the fact that there is NO man made global warming) in that a raise in earth's temperature will adversely affect crop production. On the contrary, production will increase.

Do some homework before you post up the bullshit that our pathetic public school teachers are using to brainwash our kids.

If you can't find facts via google/bing then there is truly no hope for our race.

In the crops I am involved with, over the last 20 years, production has risen from 50% to over 125% per acre, depending on the crop.

Facts are stubborn things. But facts will not stop those who wish to promote the fiasco of global warming for their own financial gain.

bentom187

Veteran
global warming is a concern,if you produce co2 and then dont have enough plants to convert it back to oxygen cause of deforestation then theres somthing unbalanced and then access's and shortages will appear in the eco system.
the reason i beleive it isbecause its proffitable for the people who own/invest in green energy aswell as the polluters who are often one in the same and profit off of both ends of the spectrum.
t.boon pickens is a good example he was confronted by a person stating that theres no way you could get away charging people for the air they breath,his reply was just watch me.
now ive obviousley seen him on TV promoting green energy but later found out hes a HUGE oil tycoon and he buys up freshwater reserves aswell.
this got me thinking hes causing the pollution with oil warming/polluting the planet to evporate all fresh water supplies then the oil/fossil fuels is going to make it impossible to breath then he'll start charging for clean oxygen by the bottle.
so if you invest in green energy ,drink water and breath air he wins.
BTW our lovley little MJ has one of if not the highest conversion of co2 to oxygen!

master shake

Bullshit article.

Yeah I quit reading when I hit this line.. "The scientists looked specifically at places where there are warming trends, and sure enough, they found these staple crops weren't doing quite as well."

What about the record breaking cold winter we just had? Weather is pretty crazy, all the time... We now are being able to use technology to discover this fact and it scares many of the weak-minded gullible sheep.

Applesauce

During this "climate change", some places will actually get a huge boost in their ability to produce. Al Gore ... what a fool.

C

CLOWD11

Americans are also insulated from this effect for another reason.
And since America's breadbasket has not warmed.
Doesnt look like CC propaganda to me, more like wishful thinking the good ol USA can outrun man made climate change LOL
Tell that to the folks swimming around their fkn living rooms atm

maryj315

Bullshit article.

Global commodity prices for food (rice, wheat etc.) are at all time highs due to QE1 & QE2 and population increases.

This article you cite is just another in a long line of proponent propaganda for global warming.

But the underlying premise is bullshit (aside from the fact that there is NO man made global warming) in that a raise in earth's temperature will adversely affect crop production. On the contrary, production will increase.

Do some homework before you post up the bullshit that our pathetic public school teachers are using to brainwash our kids.

If you can't find facts via google/bing then there is truly no hope for our race.

In the crops I am involved with, over the last 20 years, production has risen from 50% to over 125% per acre, depending on the crop.

Facts are stubborn things. But facts will not stop those who wish to promote the fiasco of global warming for their own financial gain.

The post above is extensive on personnel opinion with a brief hint of conspiracy, which is typical of most skeptics.

If you were to ask him to use actualities derived on peer reviewed science to validate his point of view. His replies will only be more of the same.

Annotations like this are comparable to someone proposing they could grow ten pounds off a single 400 watt bulb.

This controversy within the science community has been rectified years ago and have moved on to debating responses and timelines for present and future events that may or may not be interrelated to global warming.

Science is all about the best solutions we have to date and at present all credible sources coincide that this current warming trend is from a direct result of mans use of fossil fuels.

The science is settled the politics are not.

Raising tempatures alone do not reflect an expansion of universal food production what it does give you is more water vapor in the atmosphere. And from that we get extreme weather as in numerous floods and droughts blizzards record cold and hot temps around the world at the same time, seeing an increase in global tempature as a whole year after year.

Mj

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
I'm not a real smart guy. I just grow my gurls an try to learn more to that end. Don't buy the "man made global" thing. We are insigicant in the long term. This planet has been changin and will continue to change with or without us.
That being said the above atricle never points that finger. It seemed to say that where temps go up some crops go down. Huh? Sure can point to that inside can't we?
We will adapt. We always have

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
It's all lies!!!

picture.php

Global Warming is a farce to create taxes. Soon we will pay for air as soon as they figure out how to sale it. In Europe I think farmers have to pay a fart tax for their cows. WTF! Stupid evil EU. Weather is always changing, that's why we have had several ice ages and warming periods. People will believe anything if a so called Scientist or Dr. says it's true. Part of global warming is to push more manufacturing type jobs out of the USA. Corporations will be taxed heavily on their carbon foot print, unless they are in india or china where it will be a lot cheaper.

grapeman

Veteran
The post above is extensive on personnel opinion with a brief hint of conspiracy, which is typical of most skeptics.

If you were to ask him to use actualities derived on peer reviewed science to validate his point of view. His replies will only be more of the same.

Annotations like this are comparable to someone proposing they could grow ten pounds off a single 400 watt bulb.

This controversy within the science community has been rectified years ago and have moved on to debating responses and timelines for present and future events that may or may not be interrelated to global warming.

Science is all about the best solutions we have to date and at present all credible sources coincide that this current warming trend is from a direct result of mans use of fossil fuels.

The science is settled the politics are not.

Raising tempatures alone do not reflect an expansion of universal food production what it does give you is more water vapor in the atmosphere. And from that we get extreme weather as in numerous floods and droughts blizzards record cold and hot temps around the world at the same time, seeing an increase in global tempature as a whole year after year.

Mj

LOL. Your ignorance on full display, thinking science is settled on climate change. The story keeps changing, yet those of you with public school educations cannot keep up and yearn to believe. No matter that the climate change proponents ALL have a financial stake in your ignorance.

The science is far from settled. In fact, there is no science on the global warming side. Only "consensus" among those that have received funds for research from interested parties. That is not science. And as the globe is cooling (yes it is cooling atm), the low IQ among us will believe that it is cooling due to warming.

And as all the hopeless tokers here put CO2 on their crops for increased yields, they somehow believe that a slight increase in CO2 will not do the same for crops grown outdoors. All this while they drive their Prius while never understanding that the coal fire power plants are charging their cars.

I monitor weather for a living. In the past 35 years, it has not warmed at all. In fact, as an industry, we harvest about 8 days later then we used to in the '70's & '80's. Same crop. All grown crops depend on "heat units", which are a standard measurable unit.

I know, I know. Your reason offered would be it is cooler due to global warming because you read that somewhere in a study funded by the UN. Bullshit. Sadly, you still get to vote.

bentom187

Veteran
Global Warming is a farce to create taxes. Soon we will pay for air as soon as they figure out how to sale it. .

by the bottle. like a beverage.except youll need this in order to stay healthy after their done destroying the atmoshpere.i remember a trend a few years back "oxygen bars" anyone else remember?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
People will believe anything if a so called Scientist or Dr. says it's true.

So we may scoff at will...

What if a doctor said you had cancer? Would you get a second opinion or would you ignore the diagnosis?

Part of global warming is to push more manufacturing type jobs out of the USA. Corporations will be taxed heavily on their carbon foot print, unless they are in india or china where it will be a lot cheaper.
What if a global consensus of the medical community concurred with the original diagnosis that you have cancer?

How would you feel if your loved ones told you the best way to battle cancer is to scoff at for-profit cancer treatment centers because they ask for your financial worth during admittance?

You'd also have to scoff at all the doctors that don't ask for your asset totals prior to treatment.

In short, it would be easy to say that doctors fleece terminal cancer patients. But the entire medical community is also comprised of those that practice medicine, not profit-seeking.

Lumping them all together is the same as saying you'll take your chances with your so-called "cancer".

C

CLOWD11

absolute rubbish.
Mate your tinfoil hat seems a bit tight, even by tokers standards.
The very reason you incorrectly assume the globe is cooling is due to visiting retarded sceptic websites.
The planet is in a warming trend and has been for decades.
wakey wakey you ignorant people

bentom187

Veteran
^^^ agreed,your fed information .all of our perseptions on reality are strictly relitive/regulated,therefor information you base dicisions on are fed to you.
unless somone cares enough to tell you different.
you can be whatever you want you can bring joy to all the limiting factor is doubt/pride.
open your heart first.

enter sandman

I'm so confused on this subject...who is to trust on reliable information? I'm just gonna quit worrying about it from now on. Not a damn thing I could do anyway.

grapeman

Veteran
So we may scoff at will...

What if a doctor said you had cancer? Would you get a second opinion or would you ignore the diagnosis?

Doctors take an oath. The Hippocratic Oath is an oath historically taken by doctors swearing to practice medicine ethically.

Show me where the lying bastards (or scientists as you call them) at Penn State or East Anglia took an oath.

Didn't think so. By the way, the key word here is "ethically". Hiding emails, hiding weather patterns, skewing statistics and then lying about it is not ethical. Just in case you didn't know.
Phfft. Scientists. LOL

All they do is troll for grant money to keep their labs open and to make their house payments. Depending on the donor results of the studies vary to keep the gravy train chugging down the tracks.

Are you really so naive to think otherwise? Do you really think the UN, the most corrupt organization in the world, does not have their OWN agenda?

These same 'scientists' told us we were going into an ice age just 35 years ago. They get funding from a Soros group and BAM!!! global warming. Oh I forgot to mention, soros has a stake in trading carbon credits.

Tsk tsk. Such simpletons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts