What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Working out

right

10 27 23.
2 sets 11 lateral side raises 25 lb dumbbells then switched down to 15 lb dumbbells 4 sets of 11.
1 set of 6 military press switched down to 2 15 lb weights 4 sets of 11.
Lateral front raises 1 set of 11 2 25 lb weights. Switched down to 15 lb weights 4 sets 11
4 sets of 11 shoulder shrugs 2 25 lb weights
4 sets 11 Arnold press 8 lbs each
1 set 11 upright row 2 25 lb weights
Rear delt row 1 set of 11 2 25 lb weights
Rear delt flys 1 set 11 2 8lbs weights
1 minute plank
9 burpees 3 types
A 21 minute run
Wit 4 sets of 5 lunges with each leg and 1set 21 sumo squats
Screenshot_20231027_123030_Samsung Health.jpg

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I've found that using your own bodyweight works well for weight resistance training - and you can activate most muscle groups using just your own bodyweight - you don't really need dumbells and barbells - to work chest-back-arms and legs - pull ups (from different angles)- rowing - (find a verticle pole and pull yourself towards it - then push yourself away from it adjusting the bodyweight you use via foot placement ) - push-ups (at various inclines) - and plenty of bodyweight deep squats work for me - (sets of 50 and above) -

- Even street furniture - walls - lamp posts and benches - steps and stairs - can be used to work yourself out - using your own body weight -

If you can pull and push your own bodyweight several times - then in my mind - you are strong - most people cannot - it's a good goal to work for -

Last edited:

LostTribe

Premium user
I've found that using your own bodyweight works well for weight resistance training - and you can activate most muscle groups using just your own bodyweight - you don't really need dumbells and barbells - to work chest-back-arms and legs - pull ups (from different angles)- rowing - (find a verticle pole and pull yourself towards it - then push yourself away from it adjusting the bodyweight you use via foot placement ) - push-ups (at various inclines) - and plenty of bodyweight deep squats work for me - (sets of 50 and above) -

- Even street furniture - walls - lamp posts and benches - steps and stairs - can be used to work yourself out - using your own body weight -

If you can pull and push your own bodyweight several times - then in my mind - you are strong - most people cannot - it's a good goal to work for -
Agree. Never would have thought how much you can do just changing your movements. Theres a 10 minute hitt workout I do from the ytube "hemsworth 10 minute work out" 40 seconds on 20 second break only body weight 10 exercises. Now i've added some dumbells. Neglected health for a while, it become my priority. Suffer from lower back pain and extreme sciatica from a fall long ago. So I have been incapacitated from time to time exercise wise. Want to add some stretching or yoga from my back.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Agree. Never would have thought how much you can do just changing your movements. Theres a 10 minute hitt workout I do from the ytube "hemsworth 10 minute work out" 40 seconds on 20 second break only body weight 10 exercises. Now i've added some dumbells. Neglected health for a while, it become my priority. Suffer from lower back pain and extreme sciatica from a fall long ago. So I have been incapacitated from time to time exercise wise. Want to add some stretching or yoga from my back.
My problem is that I can't safely do any 'HIIT' ( high intensity interval training) - until after I have had heart surgery - and that Mitral valve is fixed/replaced - so try to keep my heart rate under 130bpm when exercising - so as not to overtax the heart too much - just in case I blow another valve due to the pressure -
- It is good to change routines occasionally for variety - if nothing else - there are so many ways to get fit and strong - I'm forever learning new ways to work this old body - lol

right

Wow a pleasure to speak to you , I need more time to compose myself. In focusing mostly on running. Slow enough and controlled breathing

right

Sunday I'm going to do a run and all resistance against my own body
Plank1 minutes 2 30sec planks + a set of my no stop stomach workout. Eventually many sets

Stizo

Veteran
A good way to get cardio and weight down is sprints on grass. We have soccer pitches close by on a common area and I sprint down one long side and then walk to the other corner. Repeat that 10 times and you've done a km in sprints. Sprinting means the body continues to burn fat for hours after you've stopped whereas jogging, you stop burning fat 15-20 minutes once you've stopped.

I'll do squats and lunges with weights. Wide arm Chin-ups with a 5 Kg barbell in a rucksack. Dips with the 5Kg weight. Leg raises. Squat jumps to planks 10 reps. Push ups with a barbell in rucksack. Curls. Overhead bar raise. Russian twists. Planks. Leg raises.

Bought the Mens health big book of exercises and it definitely helps to vary the exercises, stick new ones in so you don't get bored. I garden for a living so I'm physically active every day but my aches and pains will increase if I don't do workouts. Today is a workout day. I'll do the sprints down the soccer field 10 times. That takes 15-20 mins max and then I'll do an hour of various other exercises while I watch football.

I used to mountain bike and have broken collar bones, both arms, wrists, hands, ribs so I ache a lot now being in my mid 40s. Waking up in the morning, I'm pretty achy and stiff (not that kind of stiff).

Also running the water cold at the end of a hot shower really wakes the body and mind up. I swear by doing that now.

Great thread. Other people working out is motivational and I'll do well today.

exoticrobotic

I find those theraband resistance bands work well for light exercise of specific muscle groups.

Does anyone have any experience with improvised upside down hanging devices for spine stretching?

I feel i need to hang like a 🦇

Verdant Whisperer

I find those theraband resistance bands work well for light exercise of specific muscle groups.

Does anyone have any experience with improvised upside down hanging devices for spine stretching?

I feel i need to hang like a 🦇
Good day, I have experience with the teeter inversion tables, and anti-gravity boots. if your extremly tight, i would not recommend using either, it would benefit to do alot of down dog pose from yoga, and roll out and loosen up your back and lower back all along the spine first, because it is dangerous to decompress to much at one time, then recompress it can cause excruciating pain if you have a pre-existing pinched nerve in your back or spine. so it is good, but you need to work your way up to it. if anything do the table version to try it out then, avoid standing or any spinal compression for the next couple of hours take a nap after or something. I've never been a big fan of resistance bands because i feel its an unnatural form of resistance to our bodies, One of my favorite pieces of exercise equiptment is a broom stick, or bo-staff, a pair of dumbells, and a exercise ball, and dip and pullup bar. if pullups are not able to be done, lat pulldowns are great.
I have been a trainer over 10 year actively training people around half of that time, the other half spent working in a plant nursery, and landscaping, as it was a point in my life i wanted space from others.
but the most important thing is there is not a one fit all exercise routine, everyone is unique and the best thing to strive for is balance, flexibility and functional strenght while protecting your joints by minimzing impact and shocks to the joints from the horizontal position- an exampe of this is doing mountain climbers and bringin the knees forward to storng, it shocks the wrist from a side angle. it better to do them controlled, or if doing fast for cardio, make sure to control the stopping of the knee's forward movement to minimizethe shock on the wrist, important don't let your knees go past your toes also when doing any kind of squats or lunges. out of all exercises one of the best i can recommend is doing chair pose with a broom stick to fix your posture, most of us including myself spend to much time looking at a screen and this is very helpful along with wall slides.

Last edited:

exoticrobotic

Thank you for such a detailed reply @Verdant Whisperer

I need my core strengthened to support lumbar spinal bone spur impacting nerves.

I do squats, situps ,bench presses which are ok but with a torn hamstring too much pulls on the back more.

literally every step i take moves my psoas muscle across this joint and i get shooting pains.

Crawling about on hands and knees with heavy watering schedule doesnt help either.

My back has arched to try to compensate and i am battling against it arching further. Hence the need to decompress like a vampire.

Dime

Yes and you won't get hurt as easily because you are the resistance and can stop instantly. JMO but too much repetition is bad for the body,look at factory or production workers,their bodies are done when they retire even though many don't lift much. Everything you want out of your body you are born with and you don't really have to buy anything or go scientific unless you are competing.Swimming,running,climbing is much more beneficial,that's what the animals do .Lifting weights isn't a natural thing to do constantly and some just do it for vanity.Lean is much better than increasing muscle mass,everything in life is easier when you are lean and pays off in the later years.

Stizo

Veteran
Yes and you won't get hurt as easily because you are the resistance and can stop instantly. JMO but too much repetition is bad for the body,look at factory or production workers,their bodies are done when they retire even though many don't lift much. Everything you want out of your body you are born with and you don't really have to buy anything or go scientific unless you are competing.Swimming,running,climbing is much more beneficial,that's what the animals do .Lifting weights isn't a natural thing to do constantly and some just do it for vanity.Lean is much better than increasing muscle mass,everything in life is easier when you are lean and pays off in the later years.
I understand what you’re saying about not using weights. They do help in a if you don’t use it, you lose it (strength) and not over done can help improve balance and better knowledge or your specific physique. I integrate them into just body weight exercises. I do whatever to not have to feel like paying to go to a gym.

Verdant Whisperer

Thank you for such a detailed reply @Verdant Whisperer

I need my core strengthened to support lumbar spinal bone spur impacting nerves.

I do squats, situps ,bench presses which are ok but with a torn hamstring too much pulls on the back more.

literally every step i take moves my psoas muscle across this joint and i get shooting pains.

Crawling about on hands and knees with heavy watering schedule doesnt help either.

My back has arched to try to compensate and i am battling against it arching further. Hence the need to decompress like a vampire.
I would recommend, Planks, Supermans, and Side Planks to incorporate, and be careful with bench press its a flawed exercise that is bad for the shoulders, better off doing a twisting dumbell press on an exercise ball so your shoulders are supported and you can use natural twisting motion of your arms, like a punch or that product the perfect pushup we always use to see informericals of. I would recommend buying a foam roller, there cheap, and practicing wall slides, chair pose, planks, or modified planks from the knee's it doesn't matter if all you can do is 5 seconds just start there and work your self up. its tough hainvg a torn hamstring, i understand all that extra pull, but uing the roller to massage and stretch keeping that hamstring loose, when your able to, a good exercise to get the hamstrings going again without too much resistance would be doing good morning exercise without weight, and just going down until you get a slight stretch in the back of the legs, then engaging your hips forward and squeezing your hamstrings and glutes and coming forward. Doing core exercises combined with stretching, is your first step to feeling better, you have to build muscles to support your body, then keep those muscles and ligaments loose, as well as cardio vasscular to keep your body like a healhty river, not like a toxic lake.
I have a long history of training in wrestling and ju-jit-su and learning how to break peoples joint has actually made me better as a trainer at protecting people joints. its an eerie feeling when you feel someone's elbow snap. only happened once in a mma match like 5 years ago.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Waaay back in the early 1990's I achieved a Royal Society of Arts diploma in exercise to music - then did aqua-aerobics and boxercise modules - and was teaching exercise for most of that decade at various gyms and sports clubs around London - the following two decades - I got kinda lazy after a back injury - and didn't really return to regular exercise until 2 and a half years ago - and when I did it was in the pool where you can work the whole body against the resistance of water - gently at first - all the while losing weight too - after about 3 months of pool work - I was strong and confident enough to get back to doing some work in the gym - but still would spend an hour a day in the pool mainly concentrating on my core (abs and back) - most cardio work I did then and to this day is just very brisk walking (3-5 miles per day) - in good walking shoes - low impact -

- if you are just starting to exercise again after a long gap - I'd recommend starting in water - if you can get access to a pool somewhere closeby - and learn some aqua exercises - as well as swimming a few lengths - it's all good for you - exercise is the very best medicine for so many conditions - just try not to injure yourself whilst doing it -

sublingual

Even back in the sixties, when I was in high school, I had access to a gym where a competitive bodybuilder worked out. He had free access while the rest of us paid. He would supervise the beginners and make sure our workouts were safe. The one thing he said back then has never left me and I believe it's as relevant today as then. When starting out, he said, work the biggest muscles such as the quads and glutes until one has a good foundation of circulation and lung development. Many folks forget the internal aspect of exercise.
There are some competitive cyclists who compare each other's leg veins and admire those with the largest. Quite different than comparing muscles.
Of course, prior to physical exercise one has to be well-fed a balanced diet along with sunshine, sleep, and stress reduction to achieve good performance.

right

1 continues set of crunches 11reps sit ups 11 reps 2 types of leg lifts 11 reps each 11 scissor kicks 11 bicycles followed by a 1 minute plank off of my forearms another set of sit up routine 30 second side plank on each side. Followed by the sit up routine with 1 more 30 second plank 1 additional sit up routine.

Walking 5 squats with 2 25 lb weights
A 22 minute run .4 sets of 5 lunges walking back. 10 jumping Jack's and 1 set of 21 sumo squats

Screenshot_20231029_110054_Samsung Health.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts