What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will lite weed ever be a niche?

You'd probably like White Rhino more than white widow. ECSD and Hindu Kush are more indica leaning than Widow in my experience.

I do agree that Widow is not the tastiest strain around though. And ECSD is one of the tastiest for sure!

burningfire

Veteran
ECSD shouldn't be indica leaning, if you're smoking an indica ECSD you're missing out on what the strain is really about. It's not ECSD and shouldn't be called ECSD if it doesn't have that sativa kick with minimal body

I think there will be a market for connoisseur strains, something like landrace sativas that aren't commercially popular because of their long flowering times.

MonsantoSam
May want to check out Mechoulem paper from 1989 where he uses the term entourage effect for the 1st time in describing the often excitatory effects of cannabinoids in relation to their respective consumption...
TerP profiles will be how strains are assessed and sold even in the near future.....It is already being done....

Furthermore if you really dig...In 2015 Harvard put a symposium together and samples from the 2015 emerald cup were discussed....None of the top twenty samples tested as the top 20 highest THC samples out of over 400+ that year.....But what was noticed ....Was a higher mean cannibinoid content over the other samples not just THC....

Who says that rec shops have the best grown weed anyways....Seems like the richest growers are in most places not necessarily the best growers

I stay away from anything cookie or blue dream related.....Seems like most shop samples are always schwaggy even with high 20 s labeled THC.....

Skittlez won the 2016 emarald cup........With 16% THC.....Again not even in the top twenty of samples tkaen for THC...And I believe there was an even bigger sample size this year ...500+

JimmyToucan

This is an excerpt from another site where the lab results of some bubble hash were provided. The higher THC sample came from a batch made with dried material, whereas the "weaker" hash was made from fresh frozen trim. I think it's safe to say the former was more apt to have lost more of the terpene profile than the material that was not exposed to air and heat like the latter.

"
However if anything these tests have opened up more questions than answers. I thought it was really interesting that the fresh frozen STFU tested the lowest for THC and the highest for CBN, when it was by all accounts the best smoke. It got people, myself included, the most stoned, was the smoothest and most flavorful out of three. This would seem to confirm my theory that there is more going on with the high than just THC, CBN, and CBD. The lower test scores really left myself and the chemist scratching our heads. Even stranger is that there was a fourth sample tested from someone else, that tested out slightly higher than mine, but by all accounts from those who smoked it was lower quality. Really strange that the best smoking hash was the lowest on the THC, and that the lowest quality out of the samples was the highest."

GoatCheese

Veteran
You want lighter smokes?

Buy CBD/THC weed! There are indica (stoned) and sativa (high) leaning THC/CBD-rich strains that will give you nice lighter buzz, with more comfortable effect than what you get out of strong, THC-only weed.

Maybe, if you're a recreational user, a sativa leaning hybrid with 1:1 ratio of CBD-THC could be nice light party-weed.

Thus far, i have only grown one CBD-rich plant, CBD Critical Cure from Barney's Farm, and i like it very much.
:)

seeded

THC is the same whether it's sourced from indicas or sativas and the differences in highs fall down to two main factors; the spectrum of cannsbinoids present with their specific ratios to one another and the terpenes that modulate the high. I like to think of it as cannabinoids bring the power while terps bring out the quality.

I've experienced getting intoxicated from manicuring due to terps being released into the air. It's very subtle like you relax more, find it harder to focus, thoughts get scattered, etc. almost like you're just getting lost in the job. It's considerably more noticeable if you go into it a little stoned though and if you take a bud break after a couple of hours of manicuring the bud not only tends to hit differently like feeling a bit deeper and more relaxed but it always triggers mucus production in me too. Hitting the vape a few times usually has me blowing my nose but after manicuring it turns my nose into a tap.

Anyways to get this back on topic the only way low-mid strength cannabis will be if they charge the same price for it as they do a higher quality product. It literally takes the same amount of time and space to grow mids as it does something decent so unless you're willing to pay the same or more you're not going to convince a farmer to purposely lose money. If you're willing to pay the same price then it they'll happily try to grow you the best quality mids they can but until then you're just going to be told to buy trim or smoke less.

J-Icky

Honestly if it becomes federally legal there will be a few companies that will be planting acres of fem seed. So between them only being able to do so much and being outside in the elements, topped off with the machines harvesting an processing will provide a cheap mid-low potency product. If they did it organically they could make a cheap mass produced product with some decent smell and tastes for the average joe.

Once its federally legal its not the "lite" weed that will be the niche. We will be the niche market much like how its is with alocohol. The majority of product will be cheap, ok tasting product but there will be a niche for those that want a fine wine, or bourbon. or even craft beer. We will be the niche for the craft, small batch high quality growers.

seeded

Honestly if it becomes federally legal there will be a few companies that will be planting acres of fem seed. So between them only being able to do so much and being outside in the elements, topped off with the machines harvesting an processing will provide a cheap mid-low potency product. If they did it organically they could make a cheap mass produced product with some decent smell and tastes for the average joe.

Once its federally legal its not the "lite" weed that will be the niche. We will be the niche market much like how its is with alocohol. The majority of product will be cheap, ok tasting product but there will be a niche for those that want a fine wine, or bourbon. or even craft beer. We will be the niche for the craft, small batch high quality growers.
There's gonna be a few companies pushing cheap oil because of farms like that but the flower market is a different ballgame. Once the general public starts growing and pollen flies from both them and hemp fields only the most determined of growers will end up with a seedless crop making it a very expensive product regardless of the quality. Because the price will be high people will expect the highest quality which won't be flavoursome mids when small batches of customized oils can be ordered online cheaply enough.

JimmyToucan

There's gonna be a few companies pushing cheap oil because of farms like that but the flower market is a different ballgame. Once the general public starts growing and pollen flies from both them and hemp fields only the most determined of growers will end up with a seedless crop making it a very expensive product regardless of the quality. Because the price will be high people will expect the highest quality which won't be flavoursome mids when small batches of customized oils can be ordered online cheaply enough.

I have to agree with Icky; if/when it's descheduled and companies like Philip Morris get involved it will be them who is producing the mid grade product much like we've seen in other industries. With alcohol for instance it's the middle of the road producers turning out big numbers while the cottage brewers and distillers are getting premium prices for a premium product. We've already seen this with dispensary cannabis, grown in mass volume that doesn't hold up to the quality of a smaller producer, tended to on a more intimate basis, trimmed by hand and cured with care rather than pumped out like a factory. Many products we consume have already demonstrated this, whether it be booze, produce & livestock, hand tools (in my case hand forged kitchen knives) or a number of other products that benefit from being manufactured on a smaller scale.

The market for these types of items is growing every day, where people want quality, are willing to pay extra and in many cases are looking for some sort of connection with the people producing them. I think as legalization makes cannabis more accessible and accepted we're going to see more users that are not your hardcore every day user and are not necessarily looking for that high octane product but a more casual brand that is a little less intense, possibly much more focused on flavor rather than potency, and large companies like PM could fill that demographic with a mass produced second grade product.

As far as pollen flying everywhere seeding everyone's crops...well I don't think that adds up. If indeed large scale outdoor grows popped up I can't see why those producing it would allow pollen flying everywhere as it would diminish their yields substantially and add another step the manufacturing process.

Even if that weren't true I can't see these types of operations infiltrating the small time grows en mass everywhere you go. It's not like we would need millions of acres of cannabis to satisfy the demand, and that doesn't even touch upon the fact that so many operations are indoor away from these elements. Even the large scale producers are doing it inside as it allows better control over the environment and removing the risk of a bad growing season, which with a crop as valuable as cannabis you'd think they'd want to avoid as much as possible.

Fuel

I miss something maybe but i don't see any sense damn. If a good weed is too strong, just throw it in 50µ trempoline then "lite" it yourself. Or smoke less, or use less weed ... i really don't see the point.

That's like "drive me to the point that i don't have to learn how to roll a cone properly, for myself". I find it totally crazy. Ganja is not nespresso lol

troutman

Seed Whore
Maybe cross your strong weed with hemp to dial it down.

They already make bud light. :laughing:

bud-light-coupons.jpg

ic

JimmyToucan

I miss something maybe but i don't see any sense damn. If a good weed is too strong, just throw it in 50µ trempoline then "lite" it yourself. Or smoke less, or use less weed ... i really don't see the point.

That's like "drive me to the point that i don't have to learn how to roll a cone properly, for myself". I find it totally crazy. Ganja is not nespresso lol

For some it's not just about getting buzzed, but rather the various flavors, aromas and the act of smoking that is enjoyable. By smoking the most potent stuff you can find you cut much of the experience short. Others just like to get as stoned as they can as quickly as possible and don't care how they get there. To each their own.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I can totally understand that someone may want a lighter smoke, even seasoned smokers. I'm one of them.

Strong and NICE aren't always the same thing.
I can easily give up some potency for nice effect and good taste. Thou, i think most of the strains i've grown in recent years are around 20% THC.

One thing i can suggest to everyone who like lighter smokes, go read canna-lab tests, there are plenty around the web. I'm sure you can find many clones/buds that have little less THC in them.

But like i mentioned earlier, my first recommendation is to look for some nice CBD/THC strains. The lighter buzz is more like smoking lower/ medium strength traditional hashish, Morrocan or something like that. Very nice and comfortable buzz, that will keep your mind noticeably more clear than when smoking strong THC-only buds.

I can see women, or anyone who's not a very heavy smoker, can find nice daytime or party smokes in CBD/THC types. Like i mentioned, some are stoney some have more high effect.

There's many review videos at YouTube on CBD rich smokes.

I'm really looking forward to growing CBD Crew's 3D, which is a CBD version of a "SSH like plant" (Afg-Skunk-Haze), with some NYCD genetics from the CBD rich parent, i guess.
:)

seeded

I have to agree with Icky; if/when it's descheduled and companies like Philip Morris get involved it will be them who is producing the mid grade product much like we've seen in other industries. With alcohol for instance it's the middle of the road producers turning out big numbers while the cottage brewers and distillers are getting premium prices for a premium product. We've already seen this with dispensary cannabis, grown in mass volume that doesn't hold up to the quality of a smaller producer, tended to on a more intimate basis, trimmed by hand and cured with care rather than pumped out like a factory. Many products we consume have already demonstrated this, whether it be booze, produce & livestock, hand tools (in my case hand forged kitchen knives) or a number of other products that benefit from being manufactured on a smaller scale.

The market for these types of items is growing every day, where people want quality, are willing to pay extra and in many cases are looking for some sort of connection with the people producing them. I think as legalization makes cannabis more accessible and accepted we're going to see more users that are not your hardcore every day user and are not necessarily looking for that high octane product but a more casual brand that is a little less intense, possibly much more focused on flavor rather than potency, and large companies like PM could fill that demographic with a mass produced second grade product.

As far as pollen flying everywhere seeding everyone's crops...well I don't think that adds up. If indeed large scale outdoor grows popped up I can't see why those producing it would allow pollen flying everywhere as it would diminish their yields substantially and add another step the manufacturing process.

Even if that weren't true I can't see these types of operations infiltrating the small time grows en mass everywhere you go. It's not like we would need millions of acres of cannabis to satisfy the demand, and that doesn't even touch upon the fact that so many operations are indoor away from these elements. Even the large scale producers are doing it inside as it allows better control over the environment and removing the risk of a bad growing season, which with a crop as valuable as cannabis you'd think they'd want to avoid as much as possible.
The big wigs will take protective measures to avoid pollination like using greenhouses with filtered air, wind tunnels for workers to pass through, gassing the plants to prevent bananas, etc. all of which will drastically raise the price of sensi buds for the end consumer. The oil producers on the other hand will just filter out all the plant material negating the need for such measures which puts their costs way down to the point that cheap dabs could be vastly more attractive than buy buds or even trying to do a bit of home growing when it's free to do.

As for the pollen clouds they'll definitely be a thing. It's not going to rain down 24/7 but it's definitely going to be problematic for a lot of home growers when oil producers and hemp farmers are all over the place not to mention emboldened shitty home growers now growing legally everywhere too.

Honestly I think that lite weed will just be dabs severely watered down with terps as producing the flower equivalent will be much more expensive to bring to market. You'll get sold on thc percentages and the like similar to how you do with alcohol now and it'll be eaten up like mad as they'll be crazy cheap to produce and a 6 pack could fit on a postage stamp so moving extreme quantities is amazingly cheap and efficient to do too.

JimmyToucan

The big wigs will take protective measures to avoid pollination like using greenhouses with filtered air, wind tunnels for workers to pass through, gassing the plants to prevent bananas, etc. all of which will drastically raise the price of sensi buds for the end consumer. The oil producers on the other hand will just filter out all the plant material negating the need for such measures which puts their costs way down to the point that cheap dabs could be vastly more attractive than buy buds or even trying to do a bit of home growing when it's free to do.

As for the pollen clouds they'll definitely be a thing. It's not going to rain down 24/7 but it's definitely going to be problematic for a lot of home growers when oil producers and hemp farmers are all over the place not to mention emboldened shitty home growers now growing legally everywhere too.

Honestly I think that lite weed will just be dabs severely watered down with terps as producing the flower equivalent will be much more expensive to bring to market. You'll get sold on thc percentages and the like similar to how you do with alcohol now and it'll be eaten up like mad as they'll be crazy cheap to produce and a 6 pack could fit on a postage stamp so moving extreme quantities is amazingly cheap and efficient to do too.

The whole point of mass production is the economy of scale and the ability to produce a cost effective product for the masses. Basically the opposite of small scale craft producers who fill the high end niche. It's not realistic to charge a premium price when the little guy has better product at an equal price point. I wouldn't be all that worried about massive pollen clouds everywhere either. It just doesnt make sense to grow acres of seeded pot when yields are at stake.

If we're talking hemp, you're probably not going to see it grown in well populated areas where land prices are exorbitant, but rather in low cost areas sparsely populated and not posing a threat to many other growers at all. I can't see large scale growers of cheap fiber products buying up ridiculously priced land in CA because it would kill their bottom line. Even then there are measures that you can take so long as you aren't growing an open environment. As far as dabs being the "light weed", I'm sure there will be inferior product shoveled out as that is what large scale production leads to. On the other hand I don't see the part time occasional type smokers carrying around dab rigs so they can partake once in a while, but rather those who smoke regularly and would like a high end product but can't afford it.