What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wildharvesting natural materials

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice post high country, i have a intermittent mist propagation system too( mines less complicated though). but thats like the complete opposite point of this thread. this is wild harvesting materials for growing.

growing most of these plants yourself gets them closer to home though, and less impact on the native environment.

h.h.

Veteran
Poison oak and nettle leaves look NOTHING alike

poison_oak1_big.jpg

Poison Oak above, Nettle below

stinging-nettle1.jpg

If you mean to know the toxic plants, tell people to know the toxic plants, don't spread misinformation by telling people that things look alike that look NOTHING alike.

Get over it already. They have similarities.
Why is this thread deteriorating into arguments over mushrooms and leaf patterns?
I do hope it gets better.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
@quadracer
I think he is talking about people taking more than the 'stem butt'.
Like getting out a trowel and digging out the 'rootball' so to speak.
:blowbubbles:

GoneRooty

Great links Quad, I hadn't seen the studies about chanterelles. I was indeed referring more to people just yanking mushrooms out like pulling a weed. And especially since there is a lot of debate over harvesting techniques, I think it was important to make sure people know not to just go yanking mushrooms out of the ground.

GoneRooty

h.h.
Nobodies arguing about mushrooms, just making sure everyone has all the correct info, thanks again Quad!
And as for the poison oak/nettle leaves looking alike, I don't know what similarities you're seeing, but they look completely different to me. Even in the pictures you used as examples, they don't look alike to me.

Here's a good old rule of thumb to avoid poison oak, ivy, or sumac: Leaves of three, leave them be.

h.h.

Veteran
A good rule of thumb is to know what they are. We've all tried to guess at pictures. Often without berries. Often with a leaf that isn't oak shaped. Leaves of three aren't always easy to determine as well.

Another plant trait that sounds helpful would be a long tap root pulling up the deep minerals.Where dandelion is said to be good for calcium, seems there should be others.

Manitoid

So these little black berries should be fine to eat. They look just like little tomatoes...aggh

rule of thumb, but dont rely on this when it comes to your life:

black / purple berries are 90% edible

red berries are 50/50

white berries are 90% NOT edible.

this above chart means that if i come across purple berries, i always try the test below... if i come across white ones, never try them...

if need to eat un ID berries in wild, start by licking one... is it bitter? does it taste edible? wait a few hours, and if you do not get sick, eat one... did you not get sick in a few hours? eat a few... if you are not sick at this point probably good to go.

Again, far far far from the best test, just generalising in a "need to eat" sort of situation.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
why has this thread become about food? bunch of stoners.... trusting random forum people about wildharvesting food and beginners is a bad idea. specially when most of it is talk of toxic plants.... give the poison oak a rest, you have to be a complete dumbass to collect poison oak instead of nettles. nettle leafs have SINGLE blades, it will never have three to a leaf stem.

does anyone have good links on how to tell plants apart for identification purposes.

Manitoid

Can we talk about where to hunt certain things? In a dry region like CO, would nettles reside in the valley / stream regions? I know it grows in every one of the states, cept maybe hawaii. Is it one that requires more water than most or not?

As far as beginners, everyone has to start somewhere... I am EXTREMELY interested in wild crafting, and adding this to that is super awesome. what i need more work on is plant identification. A good regional field book will help.

EDIT: THANKS FOR THAT LINK HEADY, I NOW KNOW I HAVE LAMB'S QUARTER GROWING ALL AROUND MY HOUSE. cool.

EDIT AGAIN: and now i know i have an OVERLY GIGANTIC 7 ft wide and tall curly dock plant in my greenhouse...

U

unthing

Picked up some yarrow today, or so I think atleast, one of the wild weeds that can be mistaken to some poisonous species quite easily.

picture.php

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that is yarrow, take a mental note on its features(leaves, stems, how the flowers are set up, how the flowers look) and its smell. this will help you spot it easily all the time.

mantoid in dry climates nettles are found near small slow moving streams. usually places that get dappled shade. further north where its more wet they just grow wherever the soil is rich and fertile.

id also like to mention that the best source for learning what plants are is the people who live around you! mostly the people who are not kids. chances are they at least know a common name for the plant/tree/weed. the ultimate goal is to acquire the latin name.

U

unthing

Good to know :), I was pretty sure that is was yarrow.

Eventually I could add pics of comfrey, (dead)nettles, lamb's quarters and few others unless there is nice public database or nice pics which somebody could link to this thread.

GoneRooty

the ultimate goal is to acquire the latin name.

So true!! A common name is a good place to start, but being how there are so many different common names for the same plant, or using the same common name for different plants in different parts of the world, the scientific name is the ONLY way to be sure you're talking about the same exact plant.
And I agree with the idea of asking OLDER people who live in your area about what plants are what, and chances are they may even know some good uses for the plants as well. Another idea is to talk to your local Master Gardeners Association if you have one, they should be willing to help you ID plants in your area, and may even have a guide to useful plants in your area.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just to be sure, dead nettle and stinging nettle are not the same plant. you want urtica dioica aka stinging nettle.