What's new

why we love dogs?

Molson

I came in the breeders house, and he climbed over all his brothers and sisters and stood up, on his back feet tryna get my attention... he couldnt even see yet, but I picked him up and less than 5 mins later he fell asleep in my hands.... I had gone there looking for a brindle female... but walked out with a fawn/white male...He FOUND ME!

That's basically how we picked out our lab. Originally we planned to get a female but when we got to the breeders house they had all the puppies in one of those plastic kiddie pools. All the other ones were climbing on top of each other or trying to get to mom and this one pup comes climbing out of the pool over to us sniffing our shoes. Anyway, we picked him, came back a few weeks later and took him home.

He's not the sharpest tool in the shed though. He's pretty dumb. He barks at plastic bags that get caught up in bushes in our yard. Our car was even stolen out of the garage one night and we didn't hear a peep from him. I don't think he'd bite an intruder, maybe bark and jump up on him, but not bite. He wouldn't hurt a fly to be honest. But nevertheless, he's still a good dog. Very lovable. Used to be really hyper, but at 7 he's finally calming down.

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
i have a boxer x austrialian shepard and i love her more then anything ,she is so smart and so loyal ,she is the bestest friend that ive ever had and probably will ever have.when i get home from work im greeted at the door with a wagging tail ,a very excited to see ME crazyness and it all just makes my day better instantly even if i had the worst of the worst days she picks up my spirits .she is the only female that i understand and that understands me lol .i gave up on finding a human female that makes me feel the same un relenting love and understanding
awesome thread nokuy

What a truly worthwhile pursuit that would be.

Signed,

dedicated Pit owner, rescuer and foster parent.

On a side-note....It's look like this handsome boy will be spending some time with us.

2 year old from Virginia (Who coincidentally have some fugged up Pitty laws)

picture.php

What a gorgeous male. I have a female myself, and have also fostered Pitty's as well. although I"m in Canada, depending on where you live theyre's laws "against" them. Where I am the law states that any bully LOOKING breed must be muzzled. Needless to say i don't bother because if anything it makes my dog look like a possible biter. So anything that has a stocky appearance and square-ish head, purebred or not MUST be muzzled. Failure to do so results in a fine, after so many fines they take your dog and youthanize it. they also don't have much sympathy for stray pitbull's either, they tend to get the axe first at the shelters because no one wants to adopt such a "dangerous" breed and also because the law PREVENTS you from adopting or buying pitbulls in certain provinces. So even if you own a piece of land and have the resources to foster 50 dogs, sorry if it's a pitty he's done for. Talk about a complete load of horseshit. This truely makes me sick to my stomach, I've met many dog owners at dog parks who claim to love dog's but as soon as they ask what breed your dog is you get the same ol' "Oh........ and then pull their dog or child away. i almost got in a fight because my dog was sniffing another dog ( go figure huh?) the owner somehow thought my dog was "attacking" his, and starts trying to kick my dog! For sniffing his dogs ass ppl! When will ppl learn that this is no different than discriminating against a certain race of ppl because they may have had bad experiences happen to them or heard bad things about a few bad apples. My pitbull is one of the most loving dog's I've ever owned hands down in the past 25yrs. (not that the others were ever viewed as less in my eyes) They just seem to want to go that extra mile to please you. Mix that with irresponsible/ignorant owners and you get the BS we see in the media. It's how you raise them, so love them all and love them equally.

Nugz

marcnh

*dogs give you unconditional love
*they're fun as hell
*they don't mess with anyone unless messed with
*you know they are loyal and will never screw you over
*they're always happy to see you
I'm also a huge dog lover.

Weedhound

Grower
ICMag Donor
I believe it was James Thurber who said....."the more I get to know of men, the more I like my dog" Bird dawg but I'm not positive.

They're hairy and undignified. They pee anywhere they want. They live to eat. The slobber. They don't listen. The find untold ways to get into trouble.

I love dogs too. :D (also a former vet tech)

Weedhound

Grower
ICMag Donor
What a gorgeous male. I have a female myself, and have also fostered Pitty's as well. although I"m in Canada, depending on where you live theyre's laws "against" them. Where I am the law states that any bully LOOKING breed must be muzzled. Needless to say i don't bother because if anything it makes my dog look like a possible biter. So anything that has a stocky appearance and square-ish head, purebred or not MUST be muzzled. Failure to do so results in a fine, after so many fines they take your dog and youthanize it. they also don't have much sympathy for stray pitbull's either, they tend to get the axe first at the shelters because no one wants to adopt such a "dangerous" breed and also because the law PREVENTS you from adopting or buying pitbulls in certain provinces. So even if you own a piece of land and have the resources to foster 50 dogs, sorry if it's a pitty he's done for. Talk about a complete load of horseshit. This truely makes me sick to my stomach, I've met many dog owners at dog parks who claim to love dog's but as soon as they ask what breed your dog is you get the same ol' "Oh........ and then pull their dog or child away. i almost got in a fight because my dog was sniffing another dog ( go figure huh?) the owner somehow thought my dog was "attacking" his, and starts trying to kick my dog! For sniffing his dogs ass ppl! When will ppl learn that this is no different than discriminating against a certain race of ppl because they may have had bad experiences happen to them or heard bad things about a few bad apples. My pitbull is one of the most loving dog's I've ever owned hands down in the past 25yrs. (not that the others were ever viewed as less in my eyes) They just seem to want to go that extra mile to please you. Mix that with irresponsible/ignorant owners and you get the BS we see in the media. It's how you raise them, so love them all and love them equally.

Nugz

A Dog is going to be a dog. The problem is in the owners who think either 1. It's cool to have the meanest dog on the block or
2. My little precious (pit bull) can do whatever it wants and doesn't need to be trained or disciplined at all. If he/she bites you; I can always think up a good reason for his/her actions and excuse them.

Either way, as a former vet tech I can promise you that the USA is moving in pretty much the direction as well. Why? Because so many people don't want to be responsible for their pets. They think pets are little people and therefore can take of themselves. We're just buddies after all, right? What a wonderful way to get out of the responsibilities of pet OWNERSHIP.

My rule is...if you don't let your two year old child do something why would you let your pet do the same thing? Run around in the street? Blowing mj smoke in their face etc etc. When I worked at an emergency clinic, where the prices are outrageous I discovered something VERY interesting.

If people would vaccinate, spay or neuter, heartworm preventative, and keep their pets in a closed yard instead of wandering whereever they please folks would be AMAZED at how much money they could save.....and how long their pet would live too.

Now, take out pit bull and put in ANY OTHER breed. You'll get pretty much the same result......it's simply more dangerious from a dog bred for fighting. I love pits as well....very much......but I won't have them with other animals. Did I mention a dog is going to be a dog?

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
They're always willing to work or play, they don't know the difference.
They also give us an extended life just by petting them.
Great chick magnets when you're out on the prowl.
picture.php

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
Some reasons we love dogs:

1) Throwing away that cheeseburger wrapper is so much more fun the 8th time you do it.

2) They're not picky - they'll eat anything. Like the couch, or the kitchen floor. Or the front bumper of the truck.

3) They're always happy, even when they're eating shit. Hell... especially when they're eating shit.

4) Nothing sets the mood with the ol' lady like two dogs charging into the room, guns blazing, because the headboard banged up against the wall a couple of times.

5) No matter how bad you fuck up, your dog will love you again tomorrow, as if nothing ever went wrong.

-s

basilfarmer

I really believe baby's and kids that grow up with dogs are taught be them a sort of unconditional love that humans fall short on. I'm thankful I grew up with dogs around. They are like people on 4 legs with more loyalty and trustworthyness.

dogbabysleeping.jpg

A Dog is going to be a dog. The problem is in the owners who think either 1. It's cool to have the meanest dog on the block or
2. My little precious (pit bull) can do whatever it wants and doesn't need to be trained or disciplined at all. If he/she bites you; I can always think up a good reason for his/her actions and excuse them.

Either way, as a former vet tech I can promise you that the USA is moving in pretty much the direction as well. Why? Because so many people don't want to be responsible for their pets. They think pets are little people and therefore can take of themselves. We're just buddies after all, right? What a wonderful way to get out of the responsibilities of pet OWNERSHIP.

My rule is...if you don't let your two year old child do something why would you let your pet do the same thing? Run around in the street? Blowing mj smoke in their face etc etc. When I worked at an emergency clinic, where the prices are outrageous I discovered something VERY interesting.

If people would vaccinate, spay or neuter, heartworm preventative, and keep their pets in a closed yard instead of wandering whereever they please folks would be AMAZED at how much money they could save.....and how long their pet would live too.

Now, take out pit bull and put in ANY OTHER breed. You'll get pretty much the same result......it's simply more dangerious from a dog bred for fighting. I love pits as well....very much......but I won't have them with other animals. Did I mention a dog is going to be a dog?

Weedhound i agree too many ppl are completely unwilling to take responsibility as owners. Uaually the ppl who view them as children(which is fine but pls take responsibility for them as you would a child.) In most cases ppl who get bit tend to be at fault but it's much easier to blame the animal. I've always been one to follow the old "would you let your kid do that?" as well. As far as Pitbulls being more dangerous and to not have them with other animals I don't buy it for one second. My pitbull has lived with our cat and 2 other dogs(doberman mix, tiny toy poodle. the poodle is the GF's btw lol) now for going on 5yrs and there has NEVER been a "typical bully freakout"(protective of food, toys, protective of ppl, might get too serious playing and accidently injure, etc..) Infact shes so docile the cat runs the house and always gets dibs on food, sofa space etc...lol Yes they were bred for fighting, but if you read all the specifics of how the breed came to be it contradicts most ppls fears. Back in the 19th century when pit fighting was a sport. 2 dogs were put into a pit and made to fight each other(hence part of the name) The person who was the "referee" or person who would break the 2 dogs up was almost always a person unknown to the dogs. Therefore they wanted dogs that bit other dogs, not ppl. The bull part of the name comes from ppl who used to use it to herd bulls/cattle, kinda like Rottweilers. Hence the high pain tolerance and strong bite strength.(incase they get stepped on or grab onto a bull they wuldn't get shaken loose and stepped on) I've also heard and read of pitbull breeders who have to have other guard dogs on site because ppl would just walk into his back yard, open then pen, and steal them.(yes you can train them to be guard dogs, but this gentleman simply breeds dogs for the love of breeding.) All dog's have the potentially dangerous. Hell i've been bit myself. Anyways regardless of the history the breed has, they shouldn't have it held against them. That's just my :2cents: Glad to see we have a few former vet tech's here!

Nugz

iGro4Me

The Hopeful Protagonist
Veteran

Unless I have had some magical luck over the course of the last 20 years, I disagree.

I am the pack leader, long before Ceasar popularized it I might add.

72 dogs(as many as 8 at once) fostered and 4 full-timers over the course of that time span......Not one tiff,disagreement,fight.....however it could be classified, it's never happened within my brood.In fact, just the opposite occurs......It's one big love in......God's honest truth.

Maybe I am just lucky.

Peace,

iGro

Thaifighter

I love my dogs too... I have 3 pitbulls and a minn pinn and the minn pinn dominates the pits.. takes there toys/bones all the time... its funny

Here is Ozzy & Mystic ...There around 6 months right here
CIMG2843.jpg

Here is the momma, akasha... This is my baby!
CIMG2729.jpg

Akasha
CIMG1921.JPG

Mystic & Ozzy
CIMG3012.jpg

Unless I have had some magical luck over the course of the last 20 years, I disagree.

I am the pack leader, long before Ceasar popularized it I might add.

72 dogs(as many as 8 at once) fostered and 4 full-timers over the course of that time span......Not one tiff,disagreement,fight.....however it could be classified, it's never happened within my brood.In fact, just the opposite occurs......It's one big love in......God's honest truth.

Maybe I am just lucky.

Peace,

iGro

iGro, glad to hear another foster parent is among us lol. I agree it's just one big love in @ my camp too. I've also always followed the Alpha Dog motto as well. Or as Ceasar calls it pack leader. I love that Ceasar has done so much to help dis-spell so many of the rumors about dangerous breeds. We need more ppl like him, and less BS from the media. Thaifighter, gorgeous dogs bro. Too funny about the min-pin running show. lol.

Nugz

Thaifighter

Thanks nugz.. and i agree we need more people showing these dogs in a good light insted of the media's lies... Ceaser is great..
ive had the minn pinn the longest so i guess he thinks this is his domain. lol

Here are a couple more pics.. some funny ones

The ring leader.. nico
CIMG1958.jpg

Goofy mystic
CIMG2521.jpg

Crazy ozzy
CIMG3041.jpg

akasha runnin
CIMG3036.jpg

Thanks nugz.. and i agree we need more people showing these dogs in a good light insted of the media's lies... Ceaser is great..
ive had the minn pinn the longest so i guess he thinks this is his domain. lol

Here are a couple more pics.. some funny ones

The ring leader.. nico
View attachment 3276

Goofy mystic
View attachment 3277

Crazy ozzy
View attachment 3278

akasha runnin
View attachment 3279
LOL too funny man. Ozzy looks ALOt like my female except she has blonde brindle mixed with her black. How can anyone look at those faces and think"Maneater!" lol

Nugz

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
why we love dogs?

looking at this can bring down your bloodpressure.......
(MOM & HER 4 MONTH OLD PUP)
HPIM1831.jpg

and we enjoy the sillier moments like this.......

HPIM1478.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts