What's new

Why not CMH?

G

Not to come across as arogant, but Lumens make me laugh. Have you read this whole thread? Lumens do represent a measure of output, but not what the plant has available across the whole spectrum. That added spectrum brings many things to the table.

Now on to the question about digital compatability. The basic issue is frequency and wave form output. The high pressure ceramic arc tube in these bulbls if fragile as are others, but with a high frequncy non-squre wave-form they tend to develop a high amount of resonanace that can not only be heard, but can cause RF interference. Not to mention loss of color stability or an effect known as color shift. If allowed to continue it can cause arc tube rupture. There are digital ballasts out that are tuned to somewhere around 400megahertz square wave ouput or so. Most are also dual wattage 250/400. These bulbs require quite a kick to start and are mostly run on HPS or pulse start (ignitor using) core and coil.

Google G.E. UltraMax or Dballast.com they look to be selling the same product with a different sticker (just a guess from looking). There are several places to locate them. For Micro grows I can't imagine a better light than the pulse start 150W cmh bulbs running on a Hatch Transformer CO ballast or the IceCap 150w that Hatch makes for them. I've run the 250w in a 14"D x 30"w x 28"tall cabinet and had some insane node spacing at like 1/8" - 1/4" and flowered as a scrog. Just thinking about it makes me want to fire that cab up again. 4oz of Aisa Girl every time!!!!

Good growing to all!!

Azeo :wave:

G

First off let me apologize to Rolling Stoned for the "Have you even read the whole thread" thing. I was thinking back to a thread where knna and I were discussing the spectral effects on plants. We covered lumens along with great input from many folks here.

Arc tube design for wattages above 400w has been difficult to work out due to heat, pressure and the difficulty in producing a durable arc tube of that design. I believe that the ceramic is different from that used to make up arc tubes in HPS bulbs and the charge in the tube is quite critical. I would love to put a 1000w in place of my 2 x 400w. Although since I grow in a narrow cabinet I wonder if my spread isn't far superior with the two bulbs?

Peace

simba

Sleeping Dragon
Azeo's Current CMH Grow

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=1268561

philips is working on a 1kw Ceramic Metal Halide CMH and suposed to have beter SPD for us and plants.. it wont me marketed as horticulture either.. as they want to sell to warehouses theres more QTY there..

there is also a Ceramic Metal Halide Plasma lamp coming soon (like the sulfur plasma cause the CMH uses a microwave generator also)

250-400 Ceramic metal halide for HPS ballast..
http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmed18.htm

Last edited:
S

stonedeconomist

i've been reading all the links to the various information about these bulbs but i havn't found out why they don't work in digital ballasts.

G

Bignugget - Way to go! Perfect for veg. You will get lots of stem girth, tight nodes and great root growth. I would not be surprised if they require a little more food as well. Now, don't go over nute your grow on that statement. Just watch and see. I have vegged a lot under the 250w ceramics in like 28" height and had the bulb 4-8" off the top of the canopy. Again not knowing your set-up don't burn em up with the bulb on that statement.LOL I think you know whats up anyway. Best of luck and keep us posted if ya don't mind.

Azeotrope

simba

Sleeping Dragon
Unfort that will NOT work in a HPS Ballast..
That is For Pulsed Start MH ONLY>> M10/M142 ballast (if electronic it must also state for ceramic
Unfort the only CMH lamps avail for HPS ballast operation are the 250 and 400 it must say S50 or S51 in the part number) (basicly if it aint on this page it wont work in HPS ballast http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmed18.htm )

for 70, 150 watt you want a Smaller Envelope (bulb) Long story short more efficient)

u want these from any company but this model
http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmrx7.htm

the link u have and these rx7's use same ballast and
heres the other benifit of RX7

.................Initial lumens......Mean lumens.....CRI.......Kelvin
RX7...............14,200...............12,070..........96.......4,200
MHC150..........12,000................9,000..........92.......4,000
(MHC150 is bulb u listed right above this post)

the downside to rx7 vs the bulb u listed is 5k less hours life.. oh well i get 2k more lumen's in beginning of life and 3,000 more lumen's at "mean Avg"

the thing about Rx7 you can DIY them into a 500 watt halogen flood light fixture and even go further into making it a air cooled hood) or even a 70 watt HPS Flood fixture (gutted)

U could even use the Philips 20 watt CMH for a Super Micro Grow

but the 70 and 150 CMH will be huge in the Computer and Micro Grows Soon

Last edited:

simba

Sleeping Dragon
azo said heres what he said

Yes, they run on core&coil magnetic HPS ballasts of matching wattage. I know that they can be found on-line for 50-60.00 US. They are position specific so get the Horiz if that is to be your mounting position. I get them in a wholesale house. The 250's do a wonderful job of veg/flower production in small places. They are also available in smaller wattages 150/70/75/100 for micros and digital ballasts are available for those.

G.E. makes a high wattage CMH ballasts tuned to the lower frequency and square wave ouput they require. Advance's digital line can be custom ordered to operate CMH bulbs. They are also available in Pulse Start metal halide compatible formats, but the bulb jacket is larger (ed-28,bd39) ya know like the big 400w/1000w halides.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Any updates on the availability of the 1kw? I'd love to give these a shot, mainly from your posts Simba :D

Last edited:
I just bought 2 of the 400's from advance. Right now I have the eye blue, but at 53 bucks, this bulb is way better all around. I created a dual bulb reflector out of an old super sun shade and will add my 270 watt super agro after 2 weeks of 12/12. Should work out awesome.
Buy them now before they raise the price and start marketing them as grow bulbs.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
You might want to look into the thread stickied to the top of the Forum. Some have reported problems with HTG (excessive cord length, weak ignitors come to mind) but, they seem to have good customer service. It's a gamble you take to save a few bucks. More expensive ballasts, such as Advanced, will probably run longer. Twice as long? I don't know.

I drive to HTG which is GREAT - Guys are cool as heck to chat with.

Did search & found the posts about the ignitors on the HTG brand. Its a shame as they have 4yr warranty for $25 on there ballast, dead set on CMH...

All I can think is getting a few Mastercool bulbs & getting them to test fire at the shop ?

Would you experts think if it fired initially - I would be in the clear from then on ?

Last edited: