What's new

Why not CMH?

G

Not to start an argument, just curious as to why so many people use Hortilux and the sort. I tossed out 4 brand new 400w Hortilux bulbs after my first run with te Phillips MasterColor Retro-White 400w CMH bulbs. It has been 3 1/2yrs since and some other curators that I know can't believe the difference in node spacing, taste yield and quality between mine and theirs. I get the Phillips for 38.00 dollars US. It has been a great lesson in Lumens meaning nothing! Spectrum is first, output is secondary to PAR/Spectrum. I know that the Phillips has a shorter life (15,000hrs or so) but so what. It is like having a hortilux blue + extra red output for cheap and it runs on an HPS ballast (low frequency only).

Again this is my experience and not wanting a pissing match. If I was more internet savy I would post a link to the Phillips web page and tech info.

PEACE form Azeotrope :rasta:

Last edited:

SB7

I agree, I stopped using my digi ballasts and went back to my SS1 HPS just because I wanted to run the mastercolor bulb because it made such a difference in my grow.
I've read reams about PAR, PPF, lumens, regarding this bulb and many others and about countless bulbs being better than this one, but the CDM400S51 is the best I have used. ( I've been growing for 10 years, but I'm certainly no expert, just that the plant look healthier, are short ( very important for my space) and sem to have great resin production . Of course there are many variables in each grow, but this bulb has seemed to make the biggest difference. I'm not trying to preach this as gospel, just that it's best for me.

Too bad none of the digi ballasts will run it, as that would help to offset the lumen loss over it's life.

SB7

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Where can you buy these bulbs? They work with a magnetic HPS ballast of the same wattage?

G

bounty29 -

Yes, they run on core&coil magnetic HPS ballasts of matching wattage. I know that they can be found on-line for 50-60.00 US. They are position specific so get the Horiz if that is to be your mounting position. I get them in a wholesale house. The 250's do a wonderful job of veg/flower production in small places. They are also available in smaller wattages 150/70/75/100 for micros and digital ballasts are available for those.

G.E. makes a high wattage CMH ballasts tuned to the lower frequency and square wave ouput they require. Advance's digital line can be custom ordered to operate CMH bulbs. They are also available in Pulse Start metal halide compatible formats, but the bulb jacket is larger (ed-28,bd39) ya know like the big 400w/1000w halides.

Best luck to ya,

Azeotrope

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Do you know where online they can be found? I've been looking and can't seem to find them. Someone posted a similar thread a while ago, and this is where I got stuck. I can't find them for sale, so that makes them useless to us. Can you provide a link? I'm really interested in this.

ingenting

Been reading this post with interest.

I grow only with a 150W HPS and might want to give these bulb's a shot at my next crop. I found a bulb named "MASTER Colour City CDM-TT 150W" at my local supplier, is this the one?

If this would give me a bigger harvest it would be great.

I think this is the specs for it SPECS

And what about these cheap ones on ebay? LINK

Take care

Last edited:
G

ingenting -

That is a CMH but I believe that one is structured for the Pulse start metal halide ballasts. I will try to find a link.

Azeo

G

http://www.bulbs.com/High_Intensity_Discharge_(HID)-Light_Bulbs-Category/results.aspx?cm_mmc=google-_-light+bulbs-_-hid+bulbs-_-metal+halide&No=40&Nso=0&Ntk=all&Ntt=metal+halide&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1

This is just one online vendor that showed up with Google.

SB7

My problem was finding a CMH 400W that runs horizontally and offers the same spectrum as the mastercolor. Ge had something close, but it wasn't quite the same. I've looked at so many bulb/ballast combinations, it's possible I've missed something but that's where I stand right now.
The Philips was THE only horizontal CMH 400W available in all the distributors I checked with.

I'm still searching for what specifically makes CMH's only run on LF ballasts.
The arc tube is closer to an HPS arc tube than a regular quartz arc tube.
It doesn't have the complex (curves) shape of the quartz arc tube that lends it's self so well to wide band width resonances. From what I can see it much closer physically to a HPS bulb than a regular MH. I've asked Philips, GE and Sylvania for the answer and none have provided a decent answer.

I was going to try ICECAP MH ballasts with a vertical CMH as I was told it would operates "all MH bulbs " Then I asked the manufacturer if all included CMH's ...... oh ya, right >...... "all MH bulbs .... except CMH" !

While GE and Advance do have ballasts that will run this type of bulb, the only ones I could find for 400W + didn't operate on 120VAC. They required higher input voltages. :-(

After hours and hours searching for a solution, I shelved my Lumatek and my Galaxy and fired up my OLD SS1 HPS ballast. sometimes the simplest solution is the best. I figure it'll be a couple of years until E ballast technology catches up with large wattage CMH's and CMH technology progresses enough to allow more high wattages horizontal CMH's.

Cheers

SB7

simba

Sleeping Dragon
the lamps i mention and link above work on standard HPS Ballast...
and in hor or vert

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
simba said:
250-400 Ceramic metal halide for HPS ballast..
Nice lamps
Cost about $53us local and compare to the EYE hortlux blue at 119 bucks with ca rapier output
heres where i buy from

http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmed18.htm

ceramic metal halide ROCKS for growing.

hey man i follwed your link and all it leads to is a sight with no links to click on to order where is the actual page that i can order these from??

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
C21H30O2 - It's irritating, everyone says "Yeah you can buy them online, click here!"

But there's never anywhere to buy them, just stuff saying how great they are. I want to buy one dammit, I know how great they are!

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
that is so marked up from its list price. trying to tack advantage of people just because they are growing with it and not lighting a warehouse.

G

just real quick, not to get off subject. But why dont digis work on specialty bulbs?

Latest posts

Latest posts