What's new

why is it bad to breed with fem seeds

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
If I said in 5 years, growing known hermies, I have yet to see a single nanner, would anyone believe me? Ive found maybe 10 seeds in that time but no nanners...

Now if I grow known hermies, then why am i not getting these issues in bloom?

true hermaphrodites are both sexes from the get go and show male flowers in veg even -in my experience.

theres a big difference between those, (which you wouldnt even be able to keep) and female plants which show some flowers of varying degree in flower. most females will put out a flower at some point. some bad genetics will put too many. but then actual hermaphrodites you wont even get a proper bud from.

edit: i think what you are saying is you had strains which although female, are prone to put out male flowers. but you dont get them. most likely they are sensitive strains but your conditions are preferable so they dont get stressed.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have tremendous trust in Kaiki line. Even though some males where found and a few plants tossed some naners from stress. Its still a solid line IMO thats why I used it in my line..

I just finished Pre98 and some Brotherhoog OG I found a few seeds in both..Im OK with that. These where not fem seeds to begin with..

Last edited:

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
tbh i think the odd nanner is harmless. i get those but i only ever found one seed. and as long as they are growing bud and not seeds im happy!

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nunsacred...I feel its more natural than that...It became a issue when we grew Sativas indoor and then need excuses for their issues..beside it was our fault for growing exotics in high powered pro rooms..Its not like a pure indica made for indoor..were talkin buck wild Sativas..which stil are not easy nor in high demand because of extensive flower times and sensitivity to our hard core ways..When was the last time you smoked a 16-22wk Haze?...or a 11-14wk Blue...or a 12wk Skunk..We do on avr where I am cause we cater to the varieties..but I know most are brought up on 8-10wks and cutum down...Its just been bad practice since Indoor day 1..
Theres the whole basic idea of Holland vs Stateside flowering which was said Holland a variety would prod 50-100% more but take would take "1-3wks Less time"...
So guess what...Every Variety in Holland grows and matures 1-3wks faster than they do almost anywhere Else..
So 7-9wks in Holland is 8-10+ elsewhere to start...as a Base...
Now apply to all varieties by region and then grow some proper pot..

Far as the whole Selfed or Reverted or now Feminized males?.....Th term Selfed back in the day didn't mean reverted plants...Folks can say its botany but its manipulation either way you dice it up...Is it Natural?....No it is not...
`85 Cultivators Choice detail clause = *by" Selfed" we mean a F, hybrid bred crossed within its own kind..
Selfed only meant stage 1 of a Inline Back crossing...Now a days Filial Gen is a F-gen and "Selfing aka Reverting aka Using and creating Hermaphroditic and weak progeny" has become standard practice...and ppl wonder why its all screwed up...heh..get it..screwed up...
I - B - L = In Bred Line - meaning bred within its own Parental lines..
IB-BL = In Bred Back Line = Same Line F-gen Progeny Back crossed to the Original Mother or Parent line..To much of this can cause inbred depression and other issues as well..
Selfed - Late Natural Survival tactic which does produce mostly Feminized off spring but within the Selfed plant can cause serious issue...
and still IMO/E The Best Breeding is Standard Forward Breeding...keep rollin
FOE20

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Far as the whole Selfed or Reverted or now Feminized males?.....Th term Selfed back in the day didn't mean reverted plants...Folks can say its botany but its manipulation either way you dice it up...Is it Natural?....No it is not...
`85 Cultivators Choice detail clause = *by" Selfed" we mean a F, hybrid bred crossed within its own kind..
Selfed only meant stage 1 of a Inline Back crossing...Now a days Filial Gen is a F-gen and "Selfing aka Reverting aka Using and creating Hermaphroditic and weak progeny" has become standard practice...and ppl wonder why its all screwed up...heh..get it..screwed up...
I - B - L = In Bred Line - meaning bred within its own Parental lines..
IB-BL = In Bred Back Line = Same Line F-gen Progeny Back crossed to the Original Mother or Parent line..To much of this can cause inbred depression and other issues as well..
Selfed - Late Natural Survival tactic which does produce mostly Feminized off spring but within the Selfed plant can cause serious issue...
and still IMO/E The Best Breeding is Standard Forward Breeding...keep rollin
FOE20

many species of plant produce their seeds by self pollination, eg tomatoes, and indeed this can have it's advantages - such as a plant being able to spread beyond the range of pollinating insects etc - selfing is just as natural as any other type of reproduction in the plant world.

about 50% of plant species are 'self incompatible' which means they cannot produce seed by self pollination - usually to encourage outcrossing. the fact that cannabis is not self incompatible would indicate that there are evolutionary advantages to its ability to self pollinate.

i think many people blame the process of reversal to make fem cannabis seeds when they should actually be blaming the poor selection process of the breeders involved.

VG

Last edited:

Jbonez

Veteran
Agreed, selection is everything, and if the traits the breeder is selecting for are not homogeneous, then the seeds wont uniformly represent those traits..

I dont see anything wrong with femmed breeding, most of the elite clones in my collection are a result of hermies of some sort lol..

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jbonez its not the cuts or those elites that would be the issue...they are a copy of the mom 1 way or another...but keep workin with one and see what happens at f4, 5 or 6...then you'll understand...

sifted so why would I isolate for nasty traits?...seems to be the opposite direction of thought...and just so were on the same ground..a open population would pass on its nasty traits..but that population would be or is already regionally Acclimated and stabilized.....naturally....I see it as 2 diff sides to a the same coin...I dont flip tho..heh..

I was just stating old docs...and yea we can chop detail up more even if we want..
what lacks now a days is we may find or have that Special plant..
but most don't have the space to run out 100s of F-1's lookin for the next "Improvement"..
The whole Idea to me is Improving or Matching quality....no one does..they make a cheap copy at best...
Prob is most of these cats select by Ease of growth and consistency of growth patterns..and "bag appeal".....self it, call it "OG" or "kush" throw on a price tag and move on..
But yea we can call it whatever we want and it is relative to other species...is it the best or most stabilizing process avail?......No...not IMO....

Go ask any MED Club owner and you;ll find out they dismiss every cut that doesn;t perform perfectly within a set or 2 at most...Which is smart practice to a degree...1 prob is what if its a cultivar they just didn't grow well?.....Then they get a cut that performs well but who knows whats its backline even is..
Some dip stick gets a plants and loves it cause they feel its worthy..calls it a whole new unrelated name sake, or OG or kush and sells cuts to a club...and they invest in that?....heh...now that cut gets bought..bred...passed..and hyped....all Bull Shit to the fullest degree cause now there is no back line..there is no Line....how convient for these seed makers right?....Why gve credit for work that may of been dont on a line that now some twat can make bank off of and claim its a whole new discovery?....my flappy ass....buy into it...and it owns ya...
Its all a mess of a bad joke...and were all takin the punch lines...
Im sayin ya better know damn well what you grow....and most I bet have no idea or really even care as long as its frosty, heavy and puts $$ in their pocket...
yea I dont trust fools...I trust plants cause they can't bs...
FOE20

Last edited:

Evol Seeds

What about doing all your breeding with Fem seeds and if you do see the hermi triat develope then try to find a similar male that hermies female and introduce that into your plants genetics.I know its kinda rare but it happens. I'm still new to Fem breeding but I do use Colloidal Silver now and have used male hermies to reduce female hermie population. it is a slow task and might require a few back crossings but imo it isnt a bad idea.
sorry if someone alread mentiond this, I read through the thread but its alot to absorb when medicated.

Nunsacred

Selection is not everything.
There are really complex issues which can make selection blind to the inheritance
of the traits you try to select for.

However
it is just about all you have control of
for now.