What's new

Why has no-one feminised the REAL Cheese???

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ganja Pasha said:
I agree too, it's pure green through and through, even grown outdoors with cold temps, and there's no berry taste in there. I mt with a load of other growers yesterday and there were two different Cheese cuts there in bud form, the first one, i smelt and though it was blueberry or bubblegum as it was sweet and fruity, when they said it was Cheese I was very surprised, didn't smell like any Cheese I'd smelt before. Then I was presented with a different batch of Cheese buds and instantly reognised the smell - sweaty feet and dusty drawers. The explanation given was that they were different cuts. The sweaty feet one was definitely the real Cheese, fuck knows what the other one was.

We agree.. :dance: jeez that took a long time dude :D

Cheese is cheese... real skunk #1... a nice clone.

Ganja Pasha said:
I'll say it again, I'm only making S1s cos friends want them, I'm not interested in workign with Cheese at all, it bores me.

All the best.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mauiwowie said:
Hi guys,

I have been reading this thread with some interest and because of it I met up with an old grower friend I know last night who I hadn't seen for years. K+ to this thread.

Anyway the reason I contacted him is that I remembered around 97 he was doing some selfing/ back crossing experiments with the exodus cheese cut, I am a plant scientist and at the time I was giving him some advice on the science behind plant breeding but I couldn't really remember what had happened. I thought some of you might be interested so I invited him round. Good move as he brought his own hazey breed round called infinity....wow :rasta: and something else :jump:

So here is his story as I remember it from last night.

Selfing cheese is a long and arduous process. As others have said the S1 generation is all throwbacks to the plants used to breed the parents of the SK #1 (cheese). Alot of landrace pheno's as he put it and a few choice indica or sativa doms but nothing like cheese. He then selected plants with cheese like traits (smell, bud structure, colour etc) and grew up 2 sets of clones and placed each in a seperate grow chamber. He then selfed one set to produce S2s but he also collected pollen from each of the S1's and then used that to fertilise a series of S1 crosses in the 2nd chamber to produce aload of F1(s) seed.

He then grew out the S2's and the F1(s). The S2's were much of the same, nothing special but the F1(s) crosses were where it got interesting. He found several S1 crosses that yeilded plants that were either very cheese like or resembled other SK #1 pheno's. So he grew up those S1 clones and redid the crosses to get more seed numbers. This is where it stopped on this experiment as he lost all his clones but he still has some of the seeds.

He gave me 3 of the best (most cheesey) F1(s) seeds he had. He reckons they should be fairly cheesey. He also gave me 3 supercheese seeds that are the end product of a Cheese x super skunk cubing project he was messing around with. He reckons they are pretty cheesey as well. I will be starting up indoors again at some point later in the year so they may well be 1st on the list alongside some grapefruit and Nev's Haze.

i think this is the answer........why has no-one s1`d the cheese.....ans= because the landrace phenos you find look shit.....

but with some atention, could these landrace phenos be used to create a good unique plant with just a select part of the cheese in its visable traits ?

Last edited:
G

Who knows rick? I'm still not convinced that a load of recessive phenos will appear, like I said, so many questions, so few answers, hence why I doing this!

G

That's what I'm doing, the Cheese is being sprayed daily with CS so will soon start making male and female flowers and this is purely a seed run so fingers crossed. I'll put some Cheese pollen on some other cuts too, just for fun.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What we really wanna see is:

Cheese x Pure
and
Cheese x Thai (from a stable line)

,,, since yo a sativa grower we recon the latter sits in your garden GP :canabis:

Cheese x Colombian (hothouse) and Cheese x Afghan (bigbuddha et al.) have already been attempted... :canabis:

Last edited:
G

Well, I'm already getting there but I've taken a different route - Cheese x 1989 Skunk #1 f2 male. I'm working on a BX to the Cheese too.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Is it possible that Cheese crosses well, but selfs badly ?

The 2 Cheese crosses I have grown and smoked are excellent and distinctively Cheesy, yet, reading between the lines here it seems the Cheese clone does not self well ... or world + dog would be bang at it ?

This summer I am growing Cheese, Cheesewreck [Sagarmatha] and KaliCheese, I have seeds of KaliCheese, KaliCheese x Kali Mist [bx] and males of Master Kush, Re Con, NL5 and KaliCheese to cross to the Cheese clone..... should be really cheesy here this October....

B

BeAn

DocLeaf said:
What we really wanna see is:

Cheese x Pure
and
Cheese x Thai (from a stable line)

,,, since yo a sativa grower we recon the latter sits in your garden GP :canabis:

Cheese x Colombian (hothouse) and Cheese x Afghan (bigbuddha et al.) have already been attempted... :canabis:

Thats a cool idea, Thai is the only missing link for those saught after genes.. :joint:

Whats in yumbolt?:lurk:

G

Yumboldt is a pre-Soviet invasion Afghani I think.

I just did a Purple Afghan x Thai cross, the Thai is a right PITA indoors, needs 11 or 10.5 hours of light to flower, gets huge, yield is tiny indoors, the colas are large but so airy and leafy it's a waste of space indoors, so I am not planning on growing it again anytime soon, I didn't bother keeping clones. I'm gonna be growing out some of the PA x Thai soon and making F2s, perhaps when I've worked that line more and stabilised it somewhat I will cross it to the Cheese.

B

BeAn

Ganja Pasha said:
Yumboldt is a pre-Soviet invasion Afghani I think.

I just did a Purple Afghan x Thai cross, the Thai is a right PITA indoors, needs 11 or 10.5 hours of light to flower, gets huge, yield is tiny indoors, the colas are large but so airy and leafy it's a waste of space indoors, so I am not planning on growing it again anytime soon, I didn't bother keeping clones. I'm gonna be growing out some of the PA x Thai soon and making F2s, perhaps when I've worked that line more and stabilised it somewhat I will cross it to the Cheese.

That would be cool, but backcrossing to one of the parental lines would be the next thing to do after seeing Cheese x 'Lumbo/Afghan...but with yumbolt being an Afghan, and SuperSkunk being Skunk/Afghan both should prove to be good choices for the stinky terpenoid gene..:chin:

(dont fancy growing a 200day ounce myself either...:D)

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im thinking like this

the cheese throws out the landrace from its s1 because its been inbred since it was created from landrace....a more complex hybrid would throw out hybrid lookalikes

i think if you used the polen from the cheese on a unrelated eliete results would be way better

gh seed co have used BB`s cheese because the only way to feminise cheese is to make a hybrid....the only problem with that is it will show the parent phenos from both

Rgd said:
Of course selfing it is worth a try,but crossing it to ogk or chemdawg might be an improvement at least over selfing it [at least in growth structure.]

crossing cheese to ogk would give u vines ,straggly stretchy shit ,might smell nice though

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BeAn said:
Rick, your obsessed with this S1 idea lol...:D

yeh bean... you got me..

obsessed is the word....fukin tripin maybe....

its not realy s1 im intrested in...im mainly focused on the pollen from eliets...and crossing parent phenos from different pucka cuts

i was expecting someone to tell me im stupid....but its not happend... yet

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rawheineman said:
crossing cheese to ogk would give u vines ,straggly stretchy shit ,might smell nice though

yeh man sounds good

hit the cheese with cs....get the polen....hit the ogksfv with the cheese polen...jobs a good un....id buy that for a dollar