What's new

Why don't I get it?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
So then is the answer to use RO water?

aNs

I've always used R/O with DWC... hell, with everything I've grown in the last 10 years.

The only time I've had problems with DWC is when the tap water sucked so bad you couldn't even rinse the hydro gear with tap-water, without getting hydro herpes from it.

My temps have always been consistently around 68F... won't do DWC unless I can maintain those temps and ALWAYS try to put the air-pumps in a cold/cooler air spot.

No organics, no sugars, no snake oils. Just a shitload of bubbles and clean nutes. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

catalyte

Veteran
good thread. :yes:

i got a scare from a terrible Yellow-Green Slime (cyanobacteria?) incident and i am too paranoid to go back to fast hydro since then...

maybe one day in a new space....

Shafto

No sterilization, no bennies or teas, no IBA or NAA, just fast moving 19-20C water and nutrients.

picture.php

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
i'm running out right now and want to read this thread again, before I ask. I hope you all are still here.

excon

- i have res temps swing from 60 - 83 during seasons -
- lightproof or algae grow
- lot of unfiltered air bubbles

i have a bit chlorine in the water but i stash the water in a 50 gal drum to evaporate most of the chems out before use

never root rot so far, Just a shitload of bubbles and clean nutes - the nutes you choose are imho the most important - i use Botanicare CNS17 - and the res has 0 probs

ariston

Old thread but... some people have tap water thats contaminated. My tap water had chlorine in it. This makes a huge difference.

Dready_jake

All tao has chlorine. Plants actually do use a small amount of chlorine. But it kills everything else like myco. If you don't have a bubbler 24 hours sitting dissipates most of it but if you bubble you can use it in an hour or two

ariston

All tao has chlorine. Plants actually do use a small amount of chlorine. But it kills everything else like myco. If you don't have a bubbler 24 hours sitting dissipates most of it but if you bubble you can use it in an hour or two
True, plants need some chlorine too. I know tap water usually has some chlorine but I am guessing since some people don't get clean water, it has likely been "used up" and only byproducts are left (I forgot the chemistry word for this but you probably know what I mean, the chlorine content decreases as it kills off bacteria).

Dready_jake

Absolutely true. And sometimes chlorine and fluoride combine to make chloride or fluorine. Lol I don't remember which but its a bad molecule for us and plants if I remember correctly.