What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why doesn't Ace do any Hawaiian cultivars?

Sunshineinabag

Paraquot warriors

Paraquot warriors

There was a heavy erradication effort that began in the 80's using helicopters.

That is why Hawaii lost its old strains that had been growing there since the 60's.

many old growers were arrested

Fuken paraquot

SurfdOut

Veteran
I may have asked you this before, but how do you dry and cure your weed? all the weed ive grown here has never gotten dry enough to properly smoke

A dehuey and and a\c is required to properly process your flowers. I even run big commercial dehuey in my greenhouse.

Sunshineinabag

Apparently they cob cure as well.......idk man I tried it and maybe the version I got wasn't up to par....I wasn't impressed but I gotta be careful saying this because opinions and personal experience can make some folks butthurt. Fk em!

SurfdOut

Veteran
I would say very little cob curing and paraquot was not sprayed in the islands as far as I know.

Attachments

• IMG_20181022_173254_795.jpg
    IMG_20181022_173254_795.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 20

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think you understand the term Landrace.

If a plant is grown for a long time in a location it becomes a Landrace.

This link may help you understand more what is a Landrace. :tiphat:

Toward an Evolved Concept of Landrace

The article does not define what a landrace is. The article is a proposition for a new definition of the term according to what the author wants it defined as... which, imo, is an extremely vague definition.

Heirloom would be a better description that landrace but then... ONLY if the variety has been bred year after year after year with no stray genetics being introduced.

Until a person comes through with a variety that they have been working on for years, I’m of the opine that Hawaii has zero landrace varieties and very very few heirlooms.

oldhaole

Veteran
Many Misconceptions......

Many Misconceptions......

First of all Paraquat was never sprayed on marijuana here. Ever. Back in the day they did spray Roundup. On young plants. If the plants were big a ground crew dealt with them. Never Paraquat. And Surfed is right, never heard of anyone cobcuring either. That's what you do to improve shitty weed, no reason to do that here.

It's actually likely that Cannabis has been in the Hawaiian Islands since 1778 when Captain Cook arrived. Cook would have had Cannabis seed on board because of botanist Joseph Banks.

As for Captain Cook seeds, that's Maunapua's bullshit. That dumb bastard is hyping a story to make some money....again. Buy anything from him and you will be disappointed.

There is no single strain one can point to and say this is Maui Wowie. Maui Wowie is what you guys on the Mainland call any weed grown on Maui. Nobody here grows Maui Wowie. Once it leaves our fair shores it becomes Maui Wowie. Same with Kona Gold, and Kauai Electric.... all of it.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Yea, the US pretty much totally wiped out any cultivars they had. Hawaii sucks for weed in general if you ask me, too wet, too restrictive, and too expensive. I know some folks will disagree with me, but all the legit Hawaiian weed I had in Hawaii was bunk, same with Thai weed in Thailand. I think it's a cross between people just don't give a fuck and criminals looking for a buck, so they just crank out garbo final products. In any case, the eye for quality there is nearly blind well below the surface.

Not insulting Hawaii itself, just wouldn't care to get or grow my weeds there is all. Thailand sucked all over, no problem to be honest about that.

Hawaii is light years ahead of Thailand when it comes to cannabis, there is zero comparison between the two. There is good outdoor here that smokes as good or better than the best indoor...you just have to know the right people.

I

izzypog

First of all Paraquat was never sprayed on marijuana here. Ever. Back in the day they did spray Roundup. On young plants. If the plants were big a ground crew dealt with them. Never Paraquat. And Surfed is right, never heard of anyone cobcuring either. That's what you do to improve shitty weed, no reason to do that here.

As for Captain Cook seeds, that's Maunapua's bullshit. That dumb bastard is hyping a story to make some money....again. Buy anything from him and you will be disappointed.

There is no single strain one can point to and say this is Maui Wowie. Maui Wowie is what you guys on the Mainland call any weed grown on Maui. Nobody here grows Maui Wowie. Once it leaves our fair shores it becomes Maui Wowie. Same with Kona Gold, and Kauai Electric.... all of it.

Back in the 80's my dealer had a name for every strain he had, I would go to someone else, the same stuff my primary carried my secondary carried, and it went by a different name. Half the things that are said are rumors, the rest is non sense. What you have said is just so true and hits home with me.

Sunshineinabag

I would say very little cob curing and paraquot was not sprayed in the islands as far as I know.

I wasn't sure if it was used Nationwide.....ddt wasn't used on crops was it? I do remember my uncle air pilot uncle fighting with the company owner about so flying with that crap.....both are horribly bad.

all the legit Hawaiian weed I had in Hawaii was bunk,

You never had legit Hawaiian weed, you were given the snicklefritz :biggrin:
Not insulting Hawaii itself, just wouldn't care to get or grow my weeds there is all. Thailand sucked all over, no problem to be honest about that.

Pretty bold statement considering Hawaii is the best place to grow in the world outdoors. I used to grow indoor and outdoor in Cali and I would never go back. Growing in Hawaii is a dream come true if you know what you're doing.

SolarLogos

You never had legit Hawaiian weed, you were given the snicklefritz :biggrin:

Pretty bold statement considering Hawaii is the best place to grow in the world outdoors. I used to grow indoor and outdoor in Cali and I would never go back. Growing in Hawaii is a dream come true if you know what you're doing.
I didn't grow cannabis when we lived there, but talk about a garden on steroids! Something about that red soil and the weather. 3 weeks from seed and I was harvesting bok choy. Chinese long beans were 3 inches in the morning, harvested at 12 inches by night time. Even bittermelon grew great. The growing season is all year. I never used any nutrients, just a small kitchen compost from time to time.
A papaya tree came up in my compost pile. 18 months later it was giving papayas at about 8 foot tall.
Just my experience there with fruits and veggies.
Peace, God bless

WelderDan

Veteran
I don't think you understand the term Landrace.

If a plant is grown for a long time in a location it becomes a Landrace.

This link may help you understand more what is a Landrace. :tiphat:

Toward an Evolved Concept of Landrace

I know what a landrace is. None of the cannabis in Hawaii could be considered landrace. The earliest mention I can find of cannabis in Hawaii is 1842. Now I'm sure it was introduced before that date, but the key thing to note here is that multiple strains have been introduced over a long period of time, and it has been hybridized.

Now if only one strain had been introduced pre 1842, and only that one strain had been grown since, and never hybridized, then it might be considered "landrace" to some people, but that is not the case. Everything has been hybridized, at various points in time. Nothing currently growing in Hawaii qualifies as a landrace.

I

izzypog

I know what a landrace is. None of the cannabis in Hawaii could be considered landrace. The earliest mention I can find of cannabis in Hawaii is 1842. Now I'm sure it was introduced before that date, but the key thing to note here is that multiple strains have been introduced over a long period of time, and it has been hybridized.

Now if only one strain had been introduced pre 1842, and only that one strain had been grown since, and never hybridized, then it might be considered "landrace" to some people, but that is not the case. Everything has been hybridized, at various points in time. Nothing currently growing in Hawaii qualifies as a landrace.
If said strain was introduced in 1842, then it would be a landrace. I do not know, all I know is that when I light up my weed should floor me in a good way, I have been building my seed collection for awhile, the true difference with them is how the high makes me feel, I smoke blueberry and I experience couch lock, I smoke zkittlez and I am cleaning the house. Genetically all the same stuff, how it affects you is a bit different, depending on many factors, to sum it all up, one size does not fit all, and before certain people do any taxonomy, maybe a little more research without the "controlled" studies, actually some actual research done by scientists that are not worried about grants and more worried about the science.

W

Water-

The Big Island used to have huge cattle ranches.

In the early 1800's people brought in cattle and cowboys from Mexico to work the ranches.

The cowboys became known as Paniolos and had a large influence on Hawaiian culture.

They introduced the Ukulele and Pakalolo as well Im sure.

But in never became a big part of Hawaiian culture until the 1960's

SurfdOut

Veteran
BI still does have huge ranching operations to this day, but best chance is the Chinese immigrants brought cannabis over with them. Ukulele is from the Portuguese.

W

Water-

more likely the filipinos than chinese, since they had a stronger tradition of ganja use

Latest posts

Latest posts