What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

why does Sensi Silver Haze suck?

MTNMEN

Sadly, you're off a bit on all of those.

Neville created Silver Haze during the time he was working for Sensi. It has never been stated what the lineage is, I think it's a NL5 x Haze mother crossed to a Skunk male.

SSH is NL5 x Haze female crossed to a Haze x Skunk female, bred by Neville a few years later while working for GHS.

Jack Herer is different, similar parents but in a different combination. I forget the exact lineage now and Sensi have never confirmed or denied the lineage. Again, it was bred by Neville during his time at Sensi.

Forget Sensi Seeds, they were great in the 90s, but since 1998 they have slowly declined in quality to the point now where their strains are all pretty poor, their germ rates suck and they don't replace packs. The prices they charge are scandalous for what are third or fourth rate genetics. A good example is Ed Rosenthal Super Bud, they charge a fortune for a pack and all the grow reports are highly negative.

If you want a good Haze, forget all the Dutch stuff, get one of the hybrids from Mr Nice, they released a load of new Haze crosses recently, test grows of all of them have been highly positive, just as they were for SSH, Mango Haze and Neville's Haze. In fact, you can't go wrong with SSH, MH or NH.

Forget all the GHS Hazes too, they are inferior.

I will never doubt my instincts again! Now where is the best place to attain shanti's SSH?

FireIn.TheSky

Ssh is a shit shoot too, it's an usable polyhybrid that has a million phenos some decent, most shitty and the rare one excellent.

When you f2 ssh it's the same story, I recently did that and I got 4 very different females.

I have grown out 2 and a half packs of ssh, I have never really seen the same pheno more than once, every one of them has been an individual with flowering times all over the place from maybe like 11-12 to 18.

highsteppa

Veteran
The title is "why Sensi Silver Haze sucks" but you haven't grown it.

Then people say Silver Haze is Silver Pearl x Haze. Again you're wrong.

If anyone here had grown it, they'd know that there isn't a trace of skunk in the genetics, you don't see or smell anything remotely close to a Skunk.

Silver Haze is an Afghan crossed with a Haze and the result is very very hazy, soapy metallic taste. No over-ripe fruits/sweetness from skunk. It's just pure soap.
And it is fantastic.

when did you buy the SH pack mentioned above and on avg how many days did they take in flower? Are you assuming it has Affy instead of silvered pearl from your impression of the smoke?

I grow a old SH that is the bees knees. 12 weeker and very incense/pine/floral with a hint if fruit in there. At 10 weeks it a smooth sailing up buzz, at 12 it creeps and is wicked potent. Its been called piffy but I never smoked the ny haze so wouldn't know.

I got a s1 off her that produced a faster, more indica plant thats just a dream in terms of production, terps, and potency. Very different than whats around these days. Less incense but still hazy; more pine, fruit and kushy. I thought this pheno to be NL or NL/SK leaning from the silver pearl.

MTNMEN

lmao for fucks sakes. Thankyou for the bad news i guess. Maybe i should focus on a Snowhigh varietal that can achieve similar outcomes?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I will never doubt my instincts again! Now where is the best place to attain shanti's SSH?

Get it direct from Shanti himself...
You'll have to search another forum to get the details for such a purchase, however.

FireIn.TheSky

when did you buy the SH pack mentioned above and on avg how many days did they take in flower? Are you assuming it has Affy instead of silvered pearl from your impression of the smoke?

I grow a old SH that is the bees knees. 12 weeker and very incense/pine/floral with a hint if fruit in there. At 10 weeks it a smooth sailing up buzz, at 12 it creeps and is wicked potent. Its been called piffy but I never smoked the ny haze so wouldn't know.

I got a s1 off her that produced a faster, more indica plant thats just a dream in terms of production, terps, and potency. Very different than whats around these days. Less incense but still hazy; more pine, fruit and kushy. I thought this pheno to be NL or NL/SK leaning from the silver pearl.

Do you have any picture of your silver haze?

Reckless

The 25 Silver Haze I bough I got them from a spanish retailer Master of Seeds in 2014.

Yes by the taste you feel that there is no skunk in it. There's an afghani, for that shot period of flowering, but which one? don't know

GoatCheese

Veteran
Isn't Silver Haze NL x Haze
Sensi seeds call it "sister of NL5Haze" and state that the father came from NL line.

"The original Haze has had both its outrageous height gain and interminable flowering period brought under control by breeding with an extra-potent, non-dominant individual from the Northern Lights line. The dark Afghanica also throws its weight behind the feathery Sativa budding pattern, adding bulk without affecting flower formation.Silver Haze should still be expected to triple her vegetated height in flowering, so seedlings and clones may be flowered almost immediately in close-cultivation methods like SOG."

https://sensiseeds.com/en/cannabis-seeds/sensi-seeds/silver-haze

:)

Cannavore

Veteran
they probably outsource their seedmaking like many of the dutch and euro (and probably american) companies do. hence why so many euro and dutch breeders lines aren't what they used to be, because they likely don't give two shits as long as the dough keeps rolling in to pay for the high times ads.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

they probably outsource their seedmaking like many of the dutch and euro (and probably american) companies do. hence why so many euro and dutch breeders lines aren't what they used to be, because they likely don't give two shits as long as the dough keeps rolling in to pay for the high times ads.

too true , i was in communication with a well known breeder . i mentioned i wanted to make seed . he hit me up to not only make seed but distribute for his company .

guy does,nt have clue who i am , nothing about my skill set .....

opened my eyes up to what a shitty dodgy shady business the seed industry can be .

even buying from a company that "had" a great reputation , doesnt mean shit these days unfortunately .

MTNMEN

I can see how it can be seen as shady that the breeder you speak of didnt ask for a resume before offering to let you try to make some seed. I think its awesome that folks are so willing to help.

Happy Times

I agree with you, the company makes no effort whatsoever.
That's a real shame. Just have to see their forum. 3+ months to get your profile activated.
If at all.

But the quality is there. Buy a couple of packs of Black Do and you'll find at least 3 or 4 black leaved specimens with the best taste and high. Same for NL, Hawaiian Indica, Silver Haze and NL#5 Haze reg. These are the ones I've grown. Can't tell for the others.
Great quality anyway.

Glad to hear you have had good results, are the beans from recently purchased stock? Heard lots of negative feedback from recent Sensi but man I have a great memory of NL/Haze from around 97'. Was that really 20 years ago???

Reckless

No. the Silver Haze I've grown it in 2014, the NL#5 Haze last year and I bought all of them on a spanish website.

Man what can I say, just buy a couple of packs, germ them well, use Plagron Seed Starter Plus if needed and you'll see that it's fire.

Ready4

Veteran
Dumb question

OJD??

csg.jpg
Connoisseur Genetics. They have breeders forum on this site .

Pivot

Mr.nice = sosialist seeds
Sensi = capitalist seeds

Sensi have better customer service and much easier to get seeds(couple of days from order)

Mr.nice Have only medical customer service and need to send money to Shanti or other company

Sensi have more vigour genetics and I have always found some amaizing female plant from 10pack. Same can be founded from mr.nice 18pack. Price is high from both breeders.

I prefer Sensi seeds, haven`t disapointed me yet.

Sensi sliver haze is NL x Skunk x Haze, (NL x Skunk) x Haze, same as MNS or Greenhouse SSH. They just have different parent plants than Shanti or Arjan. Not sure if NL or Skunk is the mom on the NL x Skunk side, but Haze is the dad on the final cross. Sensi created the strain as I recall.

Jack Herer is Skunk x NL x Haze (Skunk x NL) x Haze. Same thing as SSH , just the Skunk and NL parents are swapped around. And Nirvana Jock Horror is just their version of Jack. I have ran that and was very surprised at the yield and potency.

I'm just recalling this from an old OG thread. Someone chime in if I'm remembering this wrong.

From High Times:

"While Sensi say the exact lineage is a closely-guarded secret, it is accepted that Jack Herer is a 3-way hybrid of Skunk #1, Northern Lights #5 and Haze..

The precise lineage is probably Haze x [Northern Lights #5 x (Northern Lights #5 x Skunk #1)

..which suggests that Sensi began by selecting a male from their NL5 x SK1 seedline (AKA Shiva Skunk) and backcrossing him to the NL5 female cutting. As Sensi purchased Neville's breeding plants, they had both the Haze A and C males, so it is likely that they then chose a female NL5 x (NL5xSK1) plant and pollinated it with one of the Haze males to create Jack Herer.

This would make Jack 50% Haze, 37.5% NL5 and 12.5% SK1.

This gives Jack Herer a similar composition to Super Silver Haze and Mango Haze which are 50% Haze, 25% NL5 and 25% SK1."

Last edited: