What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do you grow organically?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
threads like this really expose ignorance and fear, so tiring after all these years

DOES MINERAL FERTILIZATION MODIFY ESSENTIAL OIL CONTENT AND CHEMICAL COMPOSITION IN MEDICINAL PLANTS?

http://hortorumcultus.actapol.net/pub/12_5_3.pdf

effect of nutrient on terpene production in plants

100's more links just like that one

lol bottles

left out the link to effect of nutrient on terpene production

it does not touch on any other environmental conditions that also effect production

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3474957/

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
What have you gathered and implemented into your grow from publications like these, Weird? I don't think I've ever seen your feeding schedule/routine. I'd love to hear of it if you care to share :)

And I'm like Lapides : "Bottle fed and unable to ween"

I went from sterile environment and only macro micro nutes in ionic form to LOS step by step, starting about 10 years ago recycling chem soil.

I have run the same cultivars over this time period and had a good decade of constant cropping under my belt by the time I got to transitioning

I have posted my los recipe in the los thread a few times

nothing special it is basically LCs mix

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
How have you kept it up this long? Growing that is. It seems some can lose the enthusiasm rather quick... And personally, it's discouraging when perusing instagram and seeing all these facilities with such incredible technology and intellect.

Also, I was hoping you would share some of your tips and tricks, I've read a lot of your posts, but I don't recall seeing anything mentioning your "special sauce" or anything "weird" about your methods...

I'm personally transitioning my grow toward that which creates the "best" terpene expression/production, but I'm constantly questioning what is "best (for me)," but it is a learning process...

:tiphat:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
How have you kept it up this long? Growing that is. It seems some can lose the enthusiasm rather quick... And personally, it's discouraging when perusing instagram and seeing all these facilities with such incredible technology and intellect.

Also, I was hoping you would share some of your tips and tricks, I've read a lot of your posts, but I don't recall seeing anything mentioning your "special sauce" or anything "weird" about your methods...

I'm personally transitioning my grow toward that which creates the "best" terpene expression/production, but I'm constantly questioning what is "best (for me)," but it is a learning process...

:tiphat:

see here is the thing about best "secondary metabolite production"

there is no best because all the constituents of secondary metabolites have different cues that maximize their production

all things equal if I grow a cultivar in a sterile environment with just micros and macros I will have a very different expression of that profile than if I grow using other methods

MY preference is natural soil where there is plenty of microbiology and organic material to allow the plant to grow through rhizosphere exudate interactions

One cultivar for example would taste and smell like grape in a sterile system where in los it tastes and smells like lavender

It also seems to provides the most medicinal of expressions in a given cultivar

nothing wrong with grape but if I want grape I rather it from a different plant than one that naturally wants to express closer to lavender

all things equal those plants from that natural soil are my favorite in regards to those specific cultivars

Mr Jay

Veteran

How is that discouraging? I get inspired when I see grows done well. Sometimes it's just about growing for the love of the plant, not profit. Take the money out of the situation and see if the love sticks around, it did for me ;)

If you get bored with just growing other people's strains, chuck some pollen and make your own crosses!

I grow organically because I don't have to worry about my run-off water and can reuse soil. I have been giving runoff water to a bush outside my window for years and it grew ten times faster then any other bush of the same type around it lol! You can't even see into my window anymore so that worked out great :p

also, my bud isn't bad either:

IMG_6163.jpg
sfv ^

chernobyl.jpg
chernobyl ^ (TGA)

greenvpurp.jpg
sfv and grape ape ^ (cali connection and apothecary)

grapeApeLid.jpg
grape ape ^ (apothecary)

bagseedftw.jpg
thc bomb bagseed ^

Last edited:

Pwyll

How is that discouraging? I get inspired when I see grows done well. Sometimes it's just about growing for the love of the plant, not profit. Take the money out of the situation and see if the love sticks around, it did for me ;)

If you get bored with just growing other people's strains, chuck some pollen and make your own crosses!

I think with all the advances with extracts especially it is likely that hobby grows will become less common. Why grow if you can't produce the full spectrum resin that you want to smoke? Assuming also prices continue to fall

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I still consider growing delectable flowers that are a pleasure to smoke on their own a worthy endeavor and as far as concentrates go the more refined the less inclined I am to touch it

Jhhnn

Veteran
I still consider growing delectable flowers that are a pleasure to smoke on their own a worthy endeavor and as far as concentrates go the more refined the less inclined I am to touch it

I'm the same way. I do enjoy homemade bubble hash, however. I save the close trim & the popcorn from successive grows & make the equivalent of cheap rum from it when there's enough to go to the trouble.

WelderDan

Veteran
I don't currently, but this time around I plan on it. I'm collecting amendments, and will be mixing my own organic medium for my next run. I'm going to do some breeding and I want to see how it compares to hydro, which is my preferred medium to date.

I'm intrigued by the concept and I like knowing exactly what is in my medium. So I'm going for it

Mr Jay

Veteran
I think with all the advances with extracts especially it is likely that hobby grows will become less common. Why grow if you can't produce the full spectrum resin that you want to smoke? Assuming also prices continue to fall

Again, growing is it's own joy. If the end product is your only goal then sure, quit. I personally do not enjoy extracts anywhere near the level that I enjoy a freshly cured bud. I can make my own bubble hash if need be, but really a good bud is were it's at.

I think we are going to see a proliferation of home grows once people catch onto things like autoflowers. The idea of a large plant intimidates people, but dwarf plants catch their attention. I've helped lots of friends grow autos for fun.

Easy7

Veteran
Because I can't get a 3 gallon bucket of chems from the farm, for free.

Chems are like injecting soil and plants. Short acting with an intense absorption rate. Organics are much gentler and balanced. Precise dosing not required.

Sure if I was trying to get rich as cheap as possible with a hydro beaster warehouse, chems work. But why have a shitty go at it? No self respect?

Organics have a bad rep for fruit size because lot's of commercial organic farmers spend as little as possible. Organics can yield far better. Even some organic farmers use some organic or natural amendments, like humic acids.

Not that it has to be 100% organic or even can be with modern world's pollution. But natural is the over all science of giving and receiving, which is the point of farming.

Some people take short cuts and others invest.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran

Chems are like injecting soil and plants. Short acting with an intense absorption rate. Organics are much gentler and balanced. Precise dosing not required.

Sure if I was trying to get rich as cheap as possible with a hydro beaster warehouse, chems work. But why have a shitty go at it? No self respect?

Organics have a bad rep for fruit size because lot's of commercial organic farmers spend as little as possible. Organics can yield far better. Even some organic farmers use some organic or natural amendments, like humic acids.

Not that it has to be 100% organic or even can be with modern world's pollution. But natural is the over all science of giving and receiving, which is the point of farming.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017/06/02/531272125/episode-775-the-pigweed-killer

the culture of greed even leads to murder in mainstream agriculture because mainstream agriculture has piss poor ethics

Pwyll

Again, growing is it's own joy. If the end product is your only goal then sure, quit. I personally do not enjoy extracts anywhere near the level that I enjoy a freshly cured bud. I can make my own bubble hash if need be, but really a good bud is were it's at.

I think we are going to see a proliferation of home grows once people catch onto things like autoflowers. The idea of a large plant intimidates people, but dwarf plants catch their attention. I've helped lots of friends grow autos for fun.

Autos? Is the quality really there? For me I have zero interest in growing mediocre weed.

I consider myself a hobby grower rather than a home grower. Emphasis on quality and the serene joy of spending time in the garden. No interest in yield or $$$.

Last edited:

Also with organic - you do not need to worry about ph - something I really do like.

Popice

I've realized with organic soil I can focus on training (plants) and my life. I like being able to compare genetics without chemical issues. i like being able to grow with only buying a light in some environments. instead of chemical science i can be lazy, ignore, or turn up the speed of my soil. It's a lot easier mixing for seeds, clones, indica, sativa bag seeds, or anything kinda finicky. I can set it and forget it with veggies. I control what goes in my soil, and my own consumption. although I am now looking into different ways to grow commercially, hydro, really my biggest goals going forward with organic soil is some kind of drip feed. and building a worm bin. I think my biggest problem is size, but I have a bigger place and need shit tons of houseplants so gaining 5-8 gallons of compost per month for the next year isn't really a bad issue.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Autos? Is the quality really there? For me I have zero interest in growing mediocre weed.

I consider myself a hobby grower rather than a home grower. Emphasis on quality and the serene joy of spending time in the garden. No interest in yield or $$$.

Autoflowers are interesting in their own way & there are some very good breeders working with them. They're great for more casual growers who are good with house plants. You just have to remember that they're very fast & very hungry. They practically explode in 3 gal pots of good soil & finish before any deficiencies can show up. You can even grow them in with photo varieties but they'll finish a lot sooner & yield won't be as great with reduced photoperiods. If you have growth & flowering chambers you can grow 'em out in the veg chamber. Casual growers can put 'em about anywhere outdoors or anywhere indoors & just leave the light on.

The first thing I grew in 2013 after A64 passed was Samsara's Ultraviolet. I still have some, pull it out once in awhile. It's still heady &potent. The taste isn't right but that was before I knew anything about curing. I grew a couple of other auto varieties back then that weren't particularly memorable before moving to photo varieties.

I just grow from seed & enjoy discovering the remarkable diversity of modern strains. Given what they want autoflowers are amazing hard chargers, worth growing at least once just for the experience.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I've realized with organic soil I can focus on training (plants) and my life. I like being able to compare genetics without chemical issues. i like being able to grow with only buying a light in some environments. instead of chemical science i can be lazy, ignore, or turn up the speed of my soil. It's a lot easier mixing for seeds, clones, indica, sativa bag seeds, or anything kinda finicky. I can set it and forget it with veggies. I control what goes in my soil, and my own consumption. although I am now looking into different ways to grow commercially, hydro, really my biggest goals going forward with organic soil is some kind of drip feed. and building a worm bin. I think my biggest problem is size, but I have a bigger place and need shit tons of houseplants so gaining 5-8 gallons of compost per month for the next year isn't really a bad issue.

Check out blumats. They work very well for me. There are some caveats & some learning, as with anything-

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=111046

They work best in an open mix that drains well. You can see how I set mine up in my albums.

Latest posts

Latest posts