What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do pro-athletes have such high salaries??

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If the people lead, the leaders will follow - simple as that. The "fortunate" ones, those who can afford to pay those astronomical prices to be entertained, to buy the gear, are the ones who dictate the economy of that venue. The consumer has no one to blame but themselves. As someone said earlier, if you don't like the prices, don't go. If everyone had that mindset "Oh HELL no, i'm not paying those prices!!", the consumer would see reductions in things like ticket prices, whatever, which in turn would shrink these extraordinary salaries, which in turn would shrink some egos, too :biglaugh: Not to mention the gullibility of the comsumer, peer pressure, and everything else that goes along with dictating prices. In essence, what you will see is salaries getting even bigger - WHY, because the "PEOPLE" will pay to be entertained before they say enough is enough.

M

Mr. Nevermind

And Mr N, yer harping on the fact I can't afford a hybrid is quite trite and childlike...it seems it's the only thing you have to say anytime this comes up. I happen to work very hard, mostly at this point to work of the debt I have. Once that debt is gone, my resources will be going into land where I can live apart from the malignancy we call the modern economy, and incidentally eliminate my need for daily car use.
I grow as much of my own organic food as I can, recycle everything possible, use public transport whenever possible, and generally lead my life as low-impact as I can....and have plans to do much much more, towards which I am working very hard. So I can't afford a hybrid right now....big fookin whoop. At least I am doing what I can, and am working very hard to do much more.

You on the other hand, are doing squat.

Youre right im not doing anything about it, the difference is im not putting myself on a high horse calling everyone a corpo nazi that dont help the enviornment. You on the other hand do and you are jsut as guilty as they are. That what is amusing. You dont practice what you preeech and get pissed of at others for not doing what you preech. Here is a tip, lead by example. If you want others to save the planet , then all of your actions should reflect that, but they dont. So either give up the gas guzzler you got ( just like the corpo nazis you bitch about) or shut up. Cuz its all BS til you do. ll your plans you have had for 2-3 years , smae amount of time we been on IC, and you still aint done shit but bitch.

Nevermind

Guest423

Veteran
marx2k said:
Ok, then next question... why does the majority love these no talent hacks?

And to bring the focus back to the thread... and since I don't have much knowledge about semi and pro sports, do athletes that get paid less do better? What I mean is, do you see better performance from athletes just coming up towards pro? Do you think it's due to the drive to BE pro, or what?

the worst part is alot of rookies that haven't even took an NFL snap in their lives are coming out with bigger contracts these days then some of the veterens...thats what causes holdouts because if your an elite player in the NFL and have been for yrs and you see these young punks come in your
league making more money then you without proving themselves you'd get pissed too.

to say people only play these days for money and not the love of the game is ignorant...they only take the big money cause they can....who wouldn't...all the old players you guys talk about would of took more money if they could have...who wouldn't take more money if you could....who is gonna say naw you can just keep them extra millions of dollars cause i love the game lol.

the ultimate goal in sports is to win that trophy or that ring...there are many veterens that take pay cuts to go to winning teams just for the chance at a title, trophy, or ring...even though a struggling team with a higher salary cap would give them more money.

watch some of the older players play the game and tell me they don't play for the love of the game....they already got enough money to quit and have enough money for life....but they are 40 yrs old and running around like a kid on the playground just to play the game....everytime a guy retires from his sport he breaks out in tears....thats cause it was their passion since day 1...it's not their faults the money and fame came with it.

they sacrafice their bodies daily and could have a permanant life long injury but yet they still play...even though they have enough money....there's guarenteed money in contracts even if you quit or don't perform well....the extra money in contracts is if your an over achiever.

there's more to sports then just turning on the tv and watching them and saying them money hungry bitches.....they practice daily, they put their bodies through extreme training, weight training, injuries,diets, interviews and press,they travel, they are away from their family's for long periods, they have to move and make a new life depending what team they are playing with....it's way more then just show up on gameday to get your paycheck.

don't hate cause they make millions and do something they love and wanted to do since a kid....who wouldn't want to do that?

o.gkushowns

18 and Doh!
the worst part is alot of rookies that haven't even took an NFL snap in their lives are coming out with bigger contracts these days then some of the veterens...thats what causes holdouts because if your an elite player in the NFL and have been for yrs and you see these young punks come in your
league making more money then you without proving themselves you'd get pissed too.

to say people only play these days for money and not the love of the game is ignorant...they only take the big money cause they can....who wouldn't...all the old players you guys talk about would of took more money if they could have...who wouldn't take more money if you could....who is gonna say naw you can just keep them extra millions of dollars cause i love the game lol.

the ultimate goal in sports is to win that trophy or that ring...there are many veterens that take pay cuts to go to winning teams just for the chance at a title, trophy, or ring...even though a struggling team with a higher salary cap would give them more money.

watch some of the older players play the game and tell me they don't play for the love of the game....they already got enough money to quit and have enough money for life....but they are 40 yrs old and running around like a kid on the playground just to play the game....everytime a guy retires from his sport he breaks out in tears....thats cause it was their passion since day 1...it's not their faults the money and fame came with it.

they sacrafice their bodies daily and could have a permanant life long injury but yet they still play...even though they have enough money....there's guarenteed money in contracts even if you quit or don't perform well....the extra money in contracts is if your an over achiever.

there's more to sports then just turning on the tv and watching them and saying them money hungry bitches.....they practice daily, they put their bodies through extreme training, weight training, injuries,diets, interviews and press,they travel, they are away from their family's for long periods, they have to move and make a new life depending what team they are playing with....it's way more then just show up on gameday to get your paycheck.

don't hate cause they make millions and do something they love and wanted to do since a kid....who wouldn't want to do that?

Very well said Time2unite. You just said what I felt but could not articulate.

Genkiskan you are a snob. Not in the sense of someone rich looking down on people but just in the sense of someone who looks down on people. I enjoy sports more than anything and you think you have the right to say it's because I'm "sheep-like" and I'm being "distracted". When sunday comes I have the same smile I have after I get laid, and you can't take that away from me. So go make up some new insults or something because "corpo-nazi" is getting really old really fast.
peace

G

Society puts value to different occupations,to blame the players is ridiculous.

i think they are paid by what they are worth, and you consumers determine their worth.

Athletes are paid large amounts because the professionals they hire to negotiate their contracts know the potential financial value they add to a team. No one just decided they would be millionaires. It built to the current state after years of development.

Latest posts

Latest posts