What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do pro-athletes have such high salaries??

G

look the world going to shit has nothing to do with pro sports...no one is forced to watch the shit or pay any attention to it...

Looks like Arod made a 10 yr. 275 million dollar deal with the Yankees. Add his previous salaries, endorsements, and whatever the hell else he gets money from and this is a rich ****ing guy.

In a city where the average income is around $38,000 a year. I have to agree these athletes while entertaining make way to much ****ing money. Teachers enlighten people so they can work and make money.... yet, most of them are shitted on.... all the while you have rich bastards making more money than they'll ever know what to do with.

Last edited:

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
So,how much money are you willing to pay to watch a teacher teach in person? Personally, I prefer to watch college athletics. I don't pay to go to pro games, so I am not contributing to the high salaries of the pro players. My ex-wife is a teacher and she cannot make a 60 year pass or sack a quarterback. Consequently, she will never make a million dollars a year.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
When San Francisco Giants wanted a new stadium instead of "Windy" Candlestick park now Named AT&T For something like $60 million dollars in a different location and let the voters pay for the stadium over 30 years with 1.8% tax 15 years ago.

Voters said "No" to the New Stadium

Guess what????.... The San Francisco Giants "Found" Some money and Paid $60 Million for Barry Bonds the very next month and of course,no stadium just play at the old one

TRACK AND FIELD RULES ..they pay up to $100,000 for an appearance fee just to step on the track.

If you didn't break a World Record..You still get paid

Sponsors pay The Million If you Break a World Record..It's the Sponsors man....If they make good stuff...Other folks gonna buy it.Just for Info

This is Nike Company,,,,,Market Capitalization 31.45 Billion in the DJIA

People Buy ALOT of Nike's stuff...Up to 17-19 Billion a Year and increasing

Last edited:

Pixelante

Pro Athletes are paid what they're paid for a multitude of reasons.

The most important reason, obviously, is that huge amounts of money move through any professional sports league. Billions of dollars worth of cash flow for a team are not uncommon, especially in baseball and Euro football. People are willing pay tons of money to watch these players perform, and the players hold the entire league in their hands. Only a fraction of the best college players make it into professional sports. It's supply and demand. Billions of people on a global scale watch sports -- so the demand is huge. Therefore, the suppliers can charge what they want. Just like with weed.

Second is that most athletes only play for an average of a few years before suffering some sort of career ending injury (this is more typical in contact sports or high-endurance sports) -- and almost all contracts pay the vast majority of the salary that you read about in the paper only in the last year of their contract. If a player is injured before that, they generally lose that entire ending portion of the contract. I read on Slate a few months back that the average NFL player only plays about three or four years before they are worthless to the league and end up on the second or third string, only being paid for the time that they're on the field. For this reason, every team is supplied a team of estate and tax attorneys by players' unions to help them manage their money in such a way as to help them stockpile every penny of the initial money they make, because the likelihood that they will have their careers ended is so high. So as an example, lets say you get signed to the Dallas Cowboys your first year out of college. You'd probably receive a $250,000-$1,000,000 signing bonus, and then a salary of approximately 1 million a year for 3-5 years, and then the other $15 million you were promised only if you finish out all 7 years of the contract without being cut, demoted, injured, or traded. It's entirely possible for an all-star college player to be drafted in the first round to an amazing team, get a 6 figure signing bonus, make three games' worth of salary (approximately $200-300k per game), and then be out of the game for the rest of their lives -- living on that $1-1.5 million they made in that short span and supporting their families until they die, with no other skills to get them another job. So they have to be paid, at minimum, enough to compensate them against unforeseen consequences of their chosen profession.

Thirdly is that most players make their money on endorsements and sound investment advice from their lawyers. They are just shy of forced to start charities to build a positive PR image and get out of paying taxes. They invest the majority of it in an attempt to make a high and fast return on what little principal money they get when they first sign on to play with a team. They open restaurants and car dealerships, buy lots of real estate with little money down, and become part-owners in their own or other teams. The most talented get 8- or 9-figure endorsement deals with large companies. The rest have to whore themselves out to Jimmy's Used Subaru Depot for whatever scratch they can get.

It also heavily depends on what sport we're talking about. Golf players have to win tournaments to make money -- they are generally paid nothing on a salaried basis. The same goes for boxing, MMA, professional racing, bowling, poker, billiards, cycling, Olympic events, and even sumo wrestling. They can frequently pick up sponsorships or endorsements that create a kind of salaried environment, but those sponsorships/endorsements only exist because the athlete is performing. If they cease to perform, they lose it all. Baseball and soccer, on the other hand, have no/extremely loose salary caps, allowing teams with deeper pockets to spend near infinite sums on their players in an attempt to keep them, motivate them, or in many cases lure them from another team with a lower payroll budget. Steinbrenner abuses the MLB farm system in this way, just as Ferrari does it in F1, and just as Chelsea does for the Premier League.

Continuing onward through the list of reasons pro athletes are paid so much: Star power is absolutely overwhelming. A high-profile player is someone recognized by almost every person on the planet, and their image (or likeness, to use the legal term) filter through every aspect of pop culture. This allows the team's owner to make a ridiculous sum while paying the athlete what seems like a pittance in exchange. A good example of this would be A-Rod, LeBron James, or David Beckham. They're paid 9-figure sums, but generate 10 figure sums for their teams and for the league. They also get royalties on their image through movies, TV, video games, magazines, etc.

There are also issues like relocation, injury insurance, and contract clauses which can take away money from the athlete retroactively (i.e. Michael Vick losing ~$20 million for failure to perform at all this year for the Falcons, even though he was guaranteed the money in the contract already). It's also worth remembering that player's unions are extremely powerful in team sports, especially in American leagues. For example, the MLB Player's Union is so powerful that they are written into the law books in this country as exempt from anti-trust legislation by Congress -- but before the existence of that union, even the most pivotal players (Babe Ruth is the ultimate example here), made what would be akin to 5-figure salaries today, while the owners kept everything.

I guess the only thing I have left to say is that the highest paid of athletes are also an exception to the rule. Not every player is Michael Jordan, A-Rod, or Michael Schumacher. The majority of them live on much smaller budgets (comparatively speaking -- a net worth of $5 million doesn't seem like much up against someone who earns $60 million a year for doing the exact same thing, only better).

If you don't like what athletes get paid, don't watch sports. Don't go to games. Don't buy merchandise they pimp. Don't play Madden '08 or NBA2K8. Don't read, listen to, or watch ESPN. Don't buy cars from their dealerships. Don't watch movies or TV shows they cameo in. The list goes on and on and on....

Oh, and fun fact: if Michael Jordan put his money into an indexed mutual fund that generated the market rate of return for a century and spent none of the returns and paid no taxes on it, he still wouldn't have the money that Paul Allen (owner of the Trailblazers and Seahawks, as well as both of their stadiums) has right now. So before expending so much energy bitching about the players, why not bitch about the obscene money coffers of the people who own those teams?

I could go on and on about this subject. For every condemnation of a professional athlete's pay, I can think of a dozen reasons why they deserve it.

Last edited:

buckeye-leaf

cannabis enthusiast
Veteran
bonds just got 5 charges carrying a maximum of 30 years, i bet he wont even see a jail......if thats one of us our ass is goooone.

marx2k

Veteran
genkisan said:
(Gonna piss alot of folks off with this one............)

The entire world of pro sports is a total crock of shit.

Just another distraction for the sheep-like masses so they don't notice as the Corpo-Nazis bend them even further over the fence and fook their arseholes raw.

Just like TV, Hollywood, 'celebs', useless consumer gadgets and the like.

I had way more respect for players 50 years ago, when they earned normal salaries and played because they LOVED THE GAME...and that was enough.

Rocket Richard didn't need to get paid umpteen million dollars a year to be the greatest hockey player of his time.......so bugger all these modern spoiled twerps demanding hundreds of millions of dollars to play a fookin' GAME.........
:headbange

That's what I'm talkin' bout. And that's mainly the reason I don't watch sports. Though I seem to have a fascination for watching soccer whenever I can catch it in Europe.. but home in the US, I never watch it..and it's on all the time on DishNET

D0nC0smic

Atheletes get paid what they do because people watch them on TV, it is an entertainment business. i know there are some, but very few people seem to bitch about what movie stars make, they make it because there is a very very small suuply and a very very large demand. thats pretty much it really

marx2k

Veteran
WHat I don't get about that, DonCosmic, is why, if movie stars in Hollywood get paid so much.. why are most of them such poor actors??

I mean, independent film stars and foreign film stars (both who get paid considerably less than their Hollywood counterparts) can act the pants off of our domestic Hollywood peeps. So what's the deal there?

D0nC0smic

because studios hire based on star power rather than talent. whoever brings in the most people to the theatre gets paid the most.

marx2k

Veteran
Ok, then next question... why does the majority love these no talent hacks?

And to bring the focus back to the thread... and since I don't have much knowledge about semi and pro sports, do athletes that get paid less do better? What I mean is, do you see better performance from athletes just coming up towards pro? Do you think it's due to the drive to BE pro, or what?

G

A quarter billion dollars to play baseball? repeat that a few times to yourself and then tell me you can still say it without shaking your head in disbelief. That's $75,000 a day, 365 days a year. I've got 10$ that says he suffers a career ending hernia picking up his bank statement.

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
ok these athletes most not all come from ghetto or bad neighborhoods.. and work their asses off to make the millions they make.. How about the ted turners, and owners of these teams, bill gates, wal mart family in which each child is worth 15-20 billion etc... those are the fockin greedy bastards that could help with all their billions of dollars.. i saw a 20/20 show where they asked like 5 ultra wealthy people why they didnt give more.. to homlessness etc... one lady said we give above and beyond to charities and such. And the interviewer threw out some facts at her.

He showed her how much she really gave and she had only gave 1% of the interest of all her monies.. i think i said that rite anyhow.. people are selfish and only out for themselves.. Like the billionaires they are not going to run outta money.. The pro athletes were once those poor people, And they give back thats part of their endorsement deals give back, and do community service as much as possible.. Look at oprah's fatass she built a 90 million dollar school, which i think is great but BITCH build that school in america where your FATASS lives...Not in africa, her fatass made that money here in america help our kids 1st.. Then others.. ok i better stop im stonededed and rambling i could end up mad.. lmfao... outtie peace..

sack

Last edited:

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
No-one, but no-one, needs hundreds of millions of dollars....period.

That goes for CEOs, athletes, dictators, owners of sports teams and all the rest.

All that money sitting in accounts doing nothing more than propping up someone's pathetic, tiny-testicled ego is the ultimate example of resource-hoarding, and removes huge amounts usable energy from the system for no reasons other than selfishness and ego.

Imagine if all the ego-hoarded wealth of the world was available for things that actually MATTER, like learning how to live on this planet in a non-entropic and sustainable way, instead of making some wrinkled asscheese feel better about his tiny cock.......what a different and fabulous place the world would be.

Call me a long-haired idealist hippy....go ahead........

M

Mr. Nevermind

genkisan said:
No-one, but no-one, needs hundreds of millions of dollars....period.

That goes for CEOs, athletes, dictators, owners of sports teams and all the rest.

All that money sitting in accounts doing nothing more than propping up someone's pathetic, tiny-testicled ego is the ultimate example of resource-hoarding, and removes huge amounts usable energy from the system for no reasons other than selfishness and ego.

Imagine if all the ego-hoarded wealth of the world was available for things that actually MATTER, like learning how to live on this planet in a non-entropic and sustainable way, instead of making some wrinkled asscheese feel better about his tiny cock.......what a different and fabulous place the world would be.

Call me a long-haired idealist hippy....go ahead........

Noone "needs "to grow pot but they want to and they do . Noone needs millions of dollars but in a capitalistic society where the opportunity presents itself it becomes and achievable desire. Its called the pursuit of happiness, and we all have that right. What makes athletes and Ceo's happy is having millions of dollars, what makes you happy is calling anyone successful a nazi greedy whore or whatever. But that makes you happy and thats your right just as them wanting to make millions is their right and their pursuit of happiness.

You dont have to like it just as the rich dont have to like what you do, its part of being an american. If you dont like it or dont like living in a capitalist society i strongly recommend moving to New Guinea and chilling out. Till then your bitching is getting tired.

For all your bitching about the enviornment you still aint doing shit. Still dont drive a hybrid, too busy making excuses why you cant afford one rather then work to get one and help the enviornnment. All you seem to do is like to bitch about others and you dont seem to do much to change it. All you got is 5 year plans to help the planet that you have been delaying for years. Talking loud and aint doing nothing.

Pro's make the $$ because thats how it is. Their talents can fill a stadium with 70,000 people whom paid at least $50 a head to see them. The TV companies pay the teams to transmit those games on tv.Advertisers pay anywhere from 100K-3 million for a 30 second spot during that game. So allthe money that is generated in turn gets funneled back thru the ownerrs of the team down to the players. Not that hard of a concept to grab.

Nevermind

o.gkushowns

18 and Doh!
Thankyou Mr Nevermind. Very well said. I would have said something similar but I'm not as articulate as you. Genkiskan and Marx..get a life. These guys work hard to be the best and have talents that attract alot of people to watch them. Your just jelous that they have awesome lives while your on the internet overusing the words "corporation" and "nazi" and my favorite from Genkiskan..."corpo-nazi". LOL
peace
peace

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
Mr. Nevermind said:
Noone "needs "to grow pot but they want to and they do . Noone needs millions of dollars but in a capitalistic society where the opportunity presents itself it becomes and achievable desire. Its called the pursuit of happiness, and we all have that right. What makes athletes and Ceo's happy is having millions of dollars, what makes you happy is calling anyone successful a nazi greedy whore or whatever. But that makes you happy and thats your right just as them wanting to make millions is their right and their pursuit of happiness.

You dont have to like it just as the rich dont have to like what you do, its part of being an american. If you dont like it or dont like living in a capitalist society i strongly recommend moving to New Guinea and chilling out. Till then your bitching is getting tired.

For all your bitching about the enviornment you still aint doing shit. Still dont drive a hybrid, too busy making excuses why you cant afford one rather then work to get one and help the enviornnment. All you seem to do is like to bitch about others and you dont seem to do much to change it. All you got is 5 year plans to help the planet that you have been delaying for years. Talking loud and aint doing nothing.

Pro's make the $$ because thats how it is. Their talents can fill a stadium with 70,000 people whom paid at least $50 a head to see them. The TV companies pay the teams to transmit those games on tv.Advertisers pay anywhere from 100K-3 million for a 30 second spot during that game. So allthe money that is generated in turn gets funneled back thru the ownerrs of the team down to the players. Not that hard of a concept to grab.

Nevermind

You seem to think that just because an activity makes someone "happy", that validates anything they do.....which is a load of horseshit.

Raping and eating young boys made Jefferey Dahlmer happy.....
Exterminating Jews made Hitler happy......
Subjugating women makes the Taliban happy.......

We live in a world where the human race is approaching irreversible climate change and disastrous ecological collapse primarily due to the selfish, egotistical attitude of resource-hoarding and wealth accumulation that has dominated our culture since patriarchal misogyny became the political norm.

No-one gives a rat's ass what effect their actions have on future generations, the rest of mankind, the other animals we share the planet with......as long as it makes them "happy" right now..........what an infantile attitude.
Kinda like a wee baby who sucks tit, shits wherever and expects someone else to clean up the mess....in this case the someone else being the children of the future.

The Corpo-Nazis have been ransoming our children's future and the future of the entire human race and most life on Earth for next quarter's profits for many years now.....too bad you can't see that. All you seem to see is a bunch of people making themselves "happy" by being "successful".....

Hate to break it to ya, but 'success' in the long term is defined by a whole hell of a lot more than how much resources you have managed to accumulate.....it is defined by survival and continuing the species...nothing more, nothing less.
And the selfish egomaniac activities of those I dub Corpo-Nazis are directly threatening the survival of our species. My children will inherit a barren wasteland because a bunch of overprivileged scumbags in boardrooms have been raping and pillaging our planet to prop up their pathetic egos with another zero on their bank account.

And Mr N, yer harping on the fact I can't afford a hybrid is quite trite and childlike...it seems it's the only thing you have to say anytime this comes up. I happen to work very hard, mostly at this point to work of the debt I have. Once that debt is gone, my resources will be going into land where I can live apart from the malignancy we call the modern economy, and incidentally eliminate my need for daily car use.
I grow as much of my own organic food as I can, recycle everything possible, use public transport whenever possible, and generally lead my life as low-impact as I can....and have plans to do much much more, towards which I am working very hard. So I can't afford a hybrid right now....big fookin whoop. At least I am doing what I can, and am working very hard to do much more.

You on the other hand, are doing squat.

All you seem to be interested in is making your self 'happy', regardless of the impact on others, the future and the planet...like most of the world.....which is why our species will probably not make it past the next 1000 years.

The large-braincased animals which will evolve here after will exterminate ourselves will prob put us in their museums as the species that amused themselves to death.

FEH!

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
most pro athletes deserve a good salary....mastering a sport, especially an elite sport ...like basketball is not easy.

i think they are paid by what they are worth, and you consumers determine their worth. (I dont watch any team sports but basketball)

too bad X-sport athletes (BMX, fmx, Skate, ski, snowboard, etc...) dont make that much money...they are better athletes than most.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts