What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do experienced growers still use plastic pots?

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
3 gallon fabric pots of coco.

View attachment 18976666

1.75 liter plastic

View attachment 18976667

It all works. There are much more important factors than what type of containment for the growing media.

dayum!…

may I ask what are the genetics of that plant in the 1.75 pot?………

IMG_8521.jpeg

CharlesU Farley

Fabric posts are 100x harder to clean than plastic. This is the only reason lol. Bad form to use your washing machine that also cleans your underwear.. The drain line also gets clogged up. I have pots that are 12 years old.
Big ass aluminum tank, and sometimes a cheap ass kitty wading pool, depending on whether I want to stay up at the house or go down to the pond. Throw the fabric containers in, swish swish swish with a drop or two of Dawn, not a douchey amount, dump them out on the grass, hit 'em hard with the hose, let bright sunlight and high temps suck into that black fabric and, voila, crusty fungi gone and fabric containers pretty clean.

If I tried to put my fabric pots into the washing machine, Harley would have my fucking ass... in more ways than one.

And in the pic of all those fabric containers I posted, the back left one is I know 10+ and probably close to 12 years old. I could still use it now if I wanted to, but only with a real special, structurally sound plant that I'm thinking about working into the mix. Don't really need one that big now and my ass is getting old, so lugging around those heavy ass containers just to thin down the leaves a bit ain't really worth it these days. :ROFLMAO:

CharlesU Farley

so yeah , we have defoliated some plants and let others grow up,like some hippie from Ojai in the 60’s…..

the differences are so minute that it is difficult to see or measure for the average ganja farmer

View attachment 18976717

View attachment 18976718

View attachment 18976719

View attachment 18976720
Now I'm not from Ojai, and I'm definitely not a hippie, we were called "heads" in my day, cuz I'm a '70s kind of guy. But sometimes us micro, closet, tent, craft producers have to do things a _wee_ bit better/different than you legal eagles. Ya'll can start them under lights, _inside_, in February, get them outside in the dirt by mid to late April, fertilize/weed a bit, and wait for the fun to begin in October. That's exactly what I used to do before the War on Drugs / Just Say No bullshit... and a vindictive ex-wife who called in the helicopters. I've grown Seneca Chief corn and Kentucky Wonder pole beans, of course, I'm from Kentucky. In between those were plants from Type I/Sativa and Type II/Indica seeds, that I brought up from Miami, that were cultivated by the Ethiopian Zion Coptic Church and smuggled in by the Cubans and distributed by surfers, wise guys and pipefitters. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Here was my first indoor grow in Miami with those seeds that I brought up here to the mountains:

1000009438.jpg

But here comes the _big_ bonus, you legal eagles don't have to worry about getting your house taken away. ;)

Had a pretty good idea when I started this thread the kind of answers I was going to get, believe it or not. I'm the same way. If somebody posted "Why do experienced growers use Peter's 20-20-20 instead of the Magical Blueberry Blooming Bud Booster" that everybody _knows_ is the best? ", I would have dove right in, with both barrels.:cool:

But I don't post in forums for all the experienced people like us. I post for that vast, silent majority that never post, but read _every_ fucking thing they can possibly read and try to do things that make scientific sense and are proven by experience.

I know I got a lot of them (and maybe one or two people here on ICMag) at least thinking about it.

And as good ole Martha Stewart used to say, that's a _good_ thing. :ROFLMAO:

Much respect bigsur51, I got a pretty good idea how you got your nym now, birth year and place of birth?

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Big ass aluminum tank, and sometimes a cheap ass kitty wading pool, depending on whether I want to stay up at the house or go down to the pond. Throw the fabric containers in, swish swish swish with a drop or two of Dawn, not a douchey amount, dump them out on the grass, hit 'em hard with the hose, let bright sunlight and high temps suck into that black fabric and, voila, crusty fungi gone and fabric containers pretty clean.

If I tried to put my fabric pots into the washing machine, Harley would have my fucking ass... in more ways than one.

And in the pic of all those fabric containers I posted, the back left one is I know 10+ and probably close to 12 years old. I could still use it now if I wanted to, but only with a real special, structurally sound plant that I'm thinking about working into the mix. Don't really need one that big now and my ass is getting old, so lugging around those heavy ass containers just to thin down the leaves a bit ain't really worth it these days. :ROFLMAO:

Ive had Fabric pots. Never had any last long. They fall apart after multiple cleanings. They get harder to clean as they age, especially the bottoms.. . Most people don't have a tank dedicated for cleaning fabric pots. The most common method is there taken to a public laundromat.

CharlesU Farley

bro, some of us are poor, we just use what we have.
Bro, been there, done that... more than you would ever know unless you are 60+. You make do with what you got, and then _work_ to make it better. Used Lowe's 5 gallon plastic containers and a 30 plus year old MH light, in a 2x5 closet, for longer than you can imagine, just so I didn't have to buy cannabis.

Last edited:

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Now I'm not from Ojai, and I'm definitely not a hippie, we were called "heads" in my day, cuz I'm a '70s kind of guy. But sometimes us micro, closet, tent, craft producers have to do things a _wee_ bit better/different than you legal eagles. Ya'll can start them under lights, _inside_, in February, get them outside in the dirt by mid to late April, fertilize/weed a bit, and wait for the fun to begin in October. That's exactly what I used to do before the War on Drugs / Just Say No bullshit... and a vindictive ex-wife who called in the helicopters. I've grown Seneca Chief corn and Kentucky Wonder pole beans, of course, I'm from Kentucky. In between those were plants from Type I/Sativa and Type II/Indica seeds, that I brought up from Miami, that were cultivated by the Ethiopian Zion Coptic Church and smuggled in by the Cubans and distributed by surfers, wise guys and pipefitters. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Here was my first indoor grow in Miami with those seeds that I brought up here to the mountains:

View attachment 18976875

But here comes the _big_ bonus, you legal eagles don't have to worry about getting your house taken away. ;)

Had a pretty good idea when I started this thread the kind of answers I was going to get, believe it or not. I'm the same way. If somebody posted "Why do experienced growers use Peter's 20-20-20 instead of the Magical Blueberry Blooming Bud Booster" that everybody _knows_ is the best? ", I would have dove right in, with both barrels.:cool:

But I don't post in forums for all the experienced people like us. I post for that vast, silent majority that never post, but read _every_ fucking thing they can possibly read and try to do things that make scientific sense and are proven by experience.

I know I got a lot of them (and maybe one or two people here on ICMag) at least thinking about it.

And as good ole Martha Stewart used to say, that's a _good_ thing. :ROFLMAO:

Much respect bigsur51, I got a pretty good idea how you got your nym now, birth year and place of birth?

we won a Blue Ribbon at the county fair here for our Bloody Butcher corn

IMG_3442.jpeg

Brother Nature

I used to use pint bags exclusively (PB bags, PB2.5, PB6, etc...) and found they gave very similar rooting results to fabric bags with the added bonus of being able to be cleaned a lot easier. I only keep using plastic pots cause I have so many from other gardening project and having many indoor plants, not much point spending more money and learning time on something new at the moment. Plus I can fit exactly 16 10 liter square pots in my tent and I know I get 1-2 oz per pot using the genetics I have, which helps set the standard I can judge new genetics from.

If I were doing a large pump and dump grow, one large warehouse/greenhouse grow a year, I'd use them for sure though.

Old Uncle Ben

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
That will bring you a few bucks, cause no one has that kind of habit! An ounce will last me a year these days.

we are smoking some 2+ yr cured Durban Poison x Triangle Kush

so yeah , we have plenty of medicine to last us a few more years

dried and cured properly , double sealed vacuum packed and into the fridge/freezer it is amazing how long cannabis will last

we also make all our own concentrates and edibles

good medicine for us , no bucks , we are retired and in our 70’s…..

cheers
big

IMG_8143.jpeg

CharlesU Farley

we are smoking some 2+ yr cured Durban Poison x Triangle Kush

so yeah , we have plenty of medicine to last us a few more years

dried and cured properly , double sealed vacuum packed and into the fridge/freezer it is amazing how long cannabis will last

we also make all our own concentrates and edibles

good medicine for us , no bucks , we are retired and in our 70’s…..

cheers
big

View attachment 18977315
Out-fucking-standing!

I'm trying to bank up as much as I possibly can now, because I'm getting to the age where I'm starting to wonder how much longer I can keep it up... so to speak. :ROFLMAO:

The thought of actually purchasing a cannabis product is repugnant to me.

I've got a bunch vacuum packed and stored in mason jars. I've done BHO extractions for real long-term storage but I'm going to keep growing as long as I can, and keep banking it up for when I can't do it anymore.

Latest posts

Latest posts