What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do experienced growers still use plastic pots?

SubGirl

420club
I can’t say that cloth pots grow better weed as I have grown really nice weed in both. Nor that the more leaves the better flowers either. I’ve been weaning myself from leaving so many leaves on the plant little by little. I’m still not where I want to be as far as trimming back as I guess I love the leaves too but have noticed bigger buds with more trimming. This is my current grow tent. There are 4 -7 gallon pots (white widow x Skunk). I’ve used these pots over several grows and give them a good bleach soak and cleaning before reusing them. When they wear out I will prolly go back to plastic nursery pots as they are much easier for me and are also easier to catch runoff, clean and everything.
IMG_9765.jpeg
IMG_9766.jpeg
IMG_9767.jpeg

CharlesU Farley

Look OK to me.
A week or two before then, they look like the kind of shit you see posted in the glossy mags... nice pretty white pistols and vigorous green, healthy, no-fade induced leaves. Douched 'em a little too hard / often and burnt the piss out of them. So had to hack all the leaves back, to get more circulation into the buds.

You know how it goes, ya got to do what you got to do, to keep that bud rot shit from an infecting everything.

Been busy as shit in some other threads, haven't been able to follow yours, how did you deal with it ultimately?

Old Uncle Ben

Nor that the more leaves the better flowers either.

Simple botany. Flowers are not photosynthetic, they are a "sink".

Case in point - I've lost a lot of fan leaves on my current garden and my production is pathetic compared to healthy gardens.

Check out my avatar - that was some of my first Dutch genetics. That huge cola was a super dense/solid cola 6" across. Never seen the likes of it since then. Believe it was Jack Herer but you really never know in this biz. Lower buds (big white areas) were dense thanks to the retention of leaves until that harvest day. Pot is sitting on my dining room table. Wall paper was blacked out for security.

Late 90's I believe.

JH8c.jpg

Just posted what spider mites (any pest for that matter) do in my link for example.

CharlesU Farley

OK, thanks.

My go-to for tropical fruit trees is copper sulfate pentahydrate. Magnabon CS 2005 and Phyton 35 have the same systemic chemistry. Used Magnabon once, labeled OMRI if that matters. https://www.seedworldusa.com/produc...=gs-2018-11-14&stkn=26e0c506f652&gad_source=1

Just harvested a small C99 plant, see my link if interested.
Thanks for the link, unlike most, I view post threads in reverse order. I have been following your grow up until a couple of weeks ago, when I got kind of busy in here. ICMag is a very diverse and experienced group. The preconceived notions I had of past participants and heavy moderation, that I saw once or twice, are no longer the case now.

Btw, I saw that infected bud you posted and knew you were going to be in deep shit. Unfortunately, I've been there and have done that, more times than I can remember.

CocoNut 420

I thought this interesting, i knew that roots keep on growing late into flowering but I didn't know for certain if they grow to very end of flowering.
20240311_155732.jpg

While I was harvesting I had a closer look at the root balls, you can see there's fuzzy white roots still growing.
20240312_151624.jpg

It's a nice root ball but ime it has no reflection on the yeild,
I've 3 similar root balls with wildly varying yeilds, that particular root ball was the poorest yeilder.

Old Uncle Ben

A week or two before then, they look like the kind of shit you see posted in the glossy mags... nice pretty white pistols and vigorous green, healthy, no-fade induced leaves. Douched 'em a little too hard / often and burnt the piss out of them. So had to hack all the leaves back, to get more circulation into the buds.

You know how it goes, ya got to do what you got to do, to keep that bud rot shit from an infecting everything.

Been busy as shit in some other threads, haven't been able to follow yours, how did you deal with it ultimately?

Pinched it out, didn't harvest those.

CharlesU Farley

I knew roots keep on growing late into flowering but I didn't know for certain if they grow to very end of flowering.
View attachment 18976601
While I was harvesting I had a closer look at the root balls, you can see there's fuzzy white roots still growing.
View attachment 18976600
It's a nice root ball but ime it has no reflection on the yeild,
I've 3 similar root balls with wildly varying yeilds, that particular root ball was the poorest yeilder.
I'm totally ignorant / have no experience whatsoever with those pots but have been very intrigued. Can you put that soil / root ball on the ground and kick the shit out of it and not have it explode like a water balloon? Something tells me that's a solid ball o roots / soil, so you can. And a cannabis plant is a living organism and continues to develop until it dies. Even though you harvested it, your plant wasn't dead, that's why it was still growing roots.

And I am not / have never said that using fabric pots produces more / better cannabis. That's _so_ not the point. My point is to do it in the most efficient/cost-effective way possible, with the least amount of labor, and the maximum amount of enjoyment.

I'll leave it to all the other rocket scientists around here to say which is the "better" or "best" anything... that's a matter of opinion and we've all got one of those... I'm sure there's a smiley asshole emoticon around here somewhere but I'm on the tablet and can't look for it right now. :ROFLMAO:

CocoNut 420

And I am not / have never said that using fabric pots produces more / better cannabis. That's _so_ not the point. My point is to do it in the most efficient/cost-effective way possible, with the least amount of labor, and the maximum amount of enjoyment.

I'll leave it to all the other rocket scientists around here to say which is the "better" or "best" anything... that's a matter of opinion and we've all got one of those... I'm sure there's a smiley asshole emoticon around here somewhere but I'm on the tablet and can't look for it right now.
I can relate 100% to what you are saying there, idk shit about the science and biology side of things i'm more of a basic hands on type grower.

Science and biology is really really interesting when it's scientists or biologist that are talking.

CharlesU Farley

I got some 7gal. Square bottom cloth planters I'd like to sell.
Brand spanking new
I've had better Trolls from tiny ass little brim down in the Everglades when I was fishing for largemouth bass.

Btw, I'm a fucking python.

<wtmkf>

UB, I know he shares your politics but that's not the problem. Unlike you, he doesn't bring it up in a fucking _cannabis_ forum.

Old Uncle Ben

I've had better Trolls from tiny ass little brim down in the Everglades when I was fishing for largemouth bass.

Btw, I'm a fucking python.

<wtmkf>

UB, I know he shares your politics but that's not the problem. Unlike you, he doesn't bring it up in a fucking _cannabis_ forum.

You been smokin' some of that roadside wacky tobaccky?

Brim, bass, python...... None of that made a bit of sense LOL.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Simple botany. Flowers are not photosynthetic, they are a "sink".

hola UB….

say , would you mind elaborating on this?…..

reason I ask is that I once had a Professor in my Plant Science class in a lecture stated that ” most plants could lose up to 20% of their leaves and it will not have a noticeable impact on the plants rate of photosynthesis “…

thanks!…..I try to be open minded so I can learn stuff….🤓🤓🤓🤓

CharlesU Farley

You been smokin' some of that roadside wacky tobaccky?

Brim, bass, python...... None of that made a bit of sense LOL.
I was being politically Trolled from another thread, so I kf'd them but wanted to make absolutely sure they understood _exactly_ who they were dealing with.

UB, your online persona is sweet, kind and diplomatic... compared to how I can be when somebody's fucking Trolling me.

CharlesU Farley

I'm not UB and won't explain it as well as him, but I'll demonstrate the leaves I take off and why I take them off, cuz I just now did it. I'm about 3 weeks into flowering. Here's the before shot of one of my plants that's kind of atypical, cuz the leaves towards the bottom are yellowing / dying:

21e13806-4a4c-4ac8-b99a-0b80017d9cec-1_all_2382.jpg

Here's the same plant after I clipped, not ripped, the non-functional leaves:
21e13806-4a4c-4ac8-b99a-0b80017d9cec-1_all_2391.jpg

Here's the kind of leaves I removed:
21e13806-4a4c-4ac8-b99a-0b80017d9cec-1_all_2384.jpg

If leaves are non-functional or rapidly deteriorating in function, then I cut them with scissors, instead of rip them like I used to do. Look on the thread "Are you brave enough to post your failures" to see what happens when you rip fan leaves off the main stalk.

Now here is a tent mate, under the exact same environmental conditions, same genetics, same fertilizer, same everything:
21e13806-4a4c-4ac8-b99a-0b80017d9cec-1_all_2394.jpg

No aftershot, because I only removed three or four leaves. Rest of them are just fine.

Leaves utilize the sun and chlorophyll to convert the fertilizer and water into carbohydrates that the plant can actually use, for cell division/production.

Guess what that builds?

They only drawback I've discovered from a heavy/dense canopy, full of leaves is an increased propensity for PM. While everybody else seems to freak out over it, I easily treat it with potassium bicarb. In addition, PM is easily washed out of buds at harvest time. Just dunk the whole damn plant in a whole mess of water, guess what happened happens to that PM? It's superficial to the leaf, it's _not_ embedded in it, so it comes right off.

Harley Farley still vapes, so I'm real persnickety about making sure it's all washed off. Since I'm all edibles, all the time and don't sell shit, I don't have to worry about having SoutheEast Lights tested/marketed, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me. PM is everywhere, even though you're not aware of it. It just needs the ideal environment before it can reproduce enough for you to be able to visualize it.

Look closely at that last plant because I'm going to discuss structure in a cannabis plant and why that is the primary attribute I look for. There's only been one maybe two other people and all the cannabis for that I have moderated that have mentioned structure as one of their primary objectives.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts