What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why cannabis legalization vs. decriminilization is disasterous for the global economy

I live in the big city. You can't drink the water, its got perscription pill residue all through it. You can't fish in the ocean, its got pollution all through it. The air is dirty. You can't see more than a dozen stars at night. There is no free land to plant or hunt food. I tried picking lemons at the gas station because they wouldn't let me buy them. Then the manager came outside and made me stop picking lemons cuz they were for the owner. Everything is fucked up.

DeezyH

ICMag Donor
and as control is exerted, the fluid and diverse market of internet technologies becomes more homoginized, and thus less progressive and less furtile in terms of breeding new emerging markets. More control and restictions means less wats to leverage global communications in uninvisioned and thus new unpredicted and thus allocated for.................

Interesting point, but I think I will take my macroeconomic advice from someone that understands spelling and grammar and how it ties in with punctuation. But heck for all I know you could be a Harvard MBA graduate.

From what I could gather reading your long winded rant is that you seem to feel legalization would somehow deflate the black market marijuana bubble and cause a global recession.

If anything it will lead to greater economic prosperity. Legalizing would help break a cycle of poverty that starts with a drug conviction and often leads to a large underclass of state welfare dependencies. De-regulation (which is what will happen when MJ is legalized) may help create many new opportunities and markets for marijuana products that are otherwise suppressed with our current draconian regulatory policies and impossible in the black market.

If you are concerned with taxation just remember we are already paying taxes for our pot. Sales tax, vat, fuel surcharges, property tax, etc all get added into the cost of your pot whether you realize it or not. The next time you go out to your local hydro store try to calculate how much in taxes you pay for your hobby, you will be surprised. Black market or not the government still gets its cut and I'd rather pay a little more and be felony free.

M

manwithnoname

a great example

our municipalites used to make water availavble via drinking fountains, and for a good portion of my life water wasnt something you coudl by

now corporations sell water, an essential element, and if ya want the good stuff your gonna pay, buit its still in plastic

FUCK THAT

keep weed free dont let it go the way of water

what the fuk is next taxing air?!?!?!

water is free if you have it below you and build a well. of course you do have to pay for the electricity to operate the pump. unless you go solar, then its all good.

U

ureapwhatusow

Interesting point, but I think I will take my macroeconomic advice from someone that understands spelling and grammar and how it ties in with punctuation. But heck for all I know you could be a Harvard MBA graduate.

From what I could gather reading your long winded rant is that you seem to feel legalization would somehow deflate the black market marijuana bubble and cause a global recession.

If anything it will lead to greater economic prosperity. Legalizing would help break a cycle of poverty that starts with a drug conviction and often leads to a large underclass of state welfare dependencies. De-regulation (which is what will happen when MJ is legalized) may help create many new opportunities and markets for marijuana products that are otherwise suppressed with our current draconian regulatory policies and impossible in the black market.

If you are concerned with taxation just remember we are already paying taxes for our pot. Sales tax, vat, fuel surcharges, property tax, etc all get added into the cost of your pot whether you realize it or not. The next time you go out to your local hydro store try to calculate how much in taxes you pay for your hobby, you will be surprised. Black market or not the government still gets its cut and I'd rather pay a little more and be felony free.

im glad casting disparities my way makes ya feel better bout yourself, true hallmark of superiority correcting one on the net

since your gonna bring up macro economics why not tell me if is science

does a kensian approach really control the economy?

NO MY PoiNT ID WE INFULENCE NOT CONTROL MARKETS

if you any dedicated eduication you would also understand
HOW THE LACK MARKET STABILIZES ECONOMIES

thats wy DRUGS WILL NEVER BE ERRADICATED ONLY REGULATED

you didnt get the part of the black market represnting 10% of the global economy and most major governments (esp USA) understand and consider this info in ecomic analysis

using the investing analogy I simply suggested that DIVERSIFIYING out APPROACH on the economy is the best way TO AVOID US INFULENCING ANY ON ECONOMIC SEGMENT OF THE ECONOMY INTO IMBALANCE AND CAUSE ECONOMIC DOWNFALL

if you took econimcs you understand that everything is cyclical an ddiversification, much like that of an ecosystem is nevecarry to maintain balance

my point is that we dont dictate how the economy acts and reacts to market stimulus, but merely effect it, and on top of that, that any one single approach at controlling the market is detimental, as exerience has shown

since pot has been a major contributor to teh agricultural GNP for all these years why would that require goverment control to make it continue to help out economy?

now its my turn to judge

i wanst much of a student, i didnt have the constitution to sit and be paradigmed all day like the majoirty of PHds (mostly surgeons, doctors) in my families who have thier degrees

So i dropped out wiht my dog ass 4.0 and made off on my own during the birth of hte IT industry

since anonymity has some bearing i wont list my professional alcolaydes but i certainly know ere i cam from

i dont think however, regardless of your apptitude, that your school mattered.

thats because no matter what you know, you have shown by your motivation to come here, cast negative comments about the way i express my ideas, and no real reflection on how the legalization of MJ will effect the economy. For all the schooling you may posses you obvously never learning anything about class.

i think it will stifle the postive effect on the economy and that matters to me thats why im in this thread

so whats your deal, you so wound up inside, so oppressed by the man you live in fear of smoking and getting your precious weeds, that it makes you attack other smokers personaly when discussing the negative effects of government regulation which proihabition is part and parcel thereof?

yeah tahts some heady fucking vibe there boy

U

ureapwhatusow

water is free if you have it below you and build a well. of course you do have to pay for the electricity to operate the pump. unless you go solar, then its all good.

not entirely true, i can drive pip and make a well i know how

but some municiplaities control and regulate that to.

or in the case of certain big cities such as NYC you cant, the city exists below the surface of the earth

as population expands and we develop the earth many of the things we enjoyed and took for granted are simply not available in the same way oor manner.

some is due to mans desire to capitlize and some is due to our impact on the earth

but yes i do agree, if you look hard enough you can circumvent the obsticles of modern society

dopeshow

Do you really think cannabis makes up the entire black market?

Do you not realize that the income cannabis makes will still exist, just legally, if it were legalized?

Do you not realize that with tobacco, even though the government regulates, you are allowed to peacfully and safely grow your own tobacco plants?

Do you not realize that with alcohol, even though the government regulates, you are allowed to peacefully and safely make your own brews, meads, and wines for personal consumption?

Are you really okay with "decriminalizing" cannabis so growers, sellers, and movers can go to jail same as now?

If you're really gung ho about decriminalization go move to a state like Ohio... But if you want to solve the PROBLEM, legalize it.

You have still ignored the most important part of your argument and that is that IF CANNABIS IS DECRIMINALIZED, CANNABIS USERS WILL STILL GO TO JAIL. Justify that?

I just thought of a good example to show you how far off base your argument is, and I'd love to know if see any flaws in my reasoning here...

Let's say cannabis is legalized tomorrow, they regulate it and tax it...
Your average joe-blow smoker who doesn't grow but likes cannabis. Before legalization, he has been spending $50 every 2 weeks so he can buy an 8th of good cannabis. He pays the middle man, the middle man takes his share and go buys some groceries and then he goes back to the grower to pay for more good cannabis. The grower, with his new found money, pays his car payment. So Joe-Blow lost $50, the grocery store got money, and the bank got money. The economy is stimulated, yes you are right, there is obvious effect with the black market on the economy.

After legalization, joe-blow can now go to the liqour store and get good quality cannabis that came from a licensed grower in their state for $35 for an 8th, plus tax. The liquor store gets money, the grower gets money, the government gets money, and joe-blow has maybe $10 more than he did before, which he spends on toilet paper. So everyone still gets money, joe-blow still gets cannabis... and joe-blow is actually happier because he can smoke it walking to the park without the fear of being cited, ticketed, or arrested.

You see, you don't get something out of nothing, and something always turns into something. The black market for cannabis didn't create money out of thin air. The money came from somewhere, and it will end up somewhere. The money always ends up in the market place. Nothing changes if it were legalized. There will still be the same amount of money, since the black market for cannabis DOES NOT CREATE MONEY FROM THIN AIR (thats the Federal Reserve.. heh). Although the process may be different, and the money may go through different hands, the money will STILL end up in the marketplace and in the economy. Not to mention it will create jobs and legal revenue, two things that are key indicators in how we PERCEIVE the economy is doing. Where is the negative in any of this?

Does that not make any sense to you?

sunwukong

I understand what you are saying about the free market that exists right now in the "marijuana economy". However, that doesn't change the fact that marijuana laws are racist, aimed at the lower economic classes, and are simply eating up resources to imprison non violent criminals. This statement is fine to post on the internet and I believe in seeing all sides of a issue before taking action to correct the problem, HOWEVER, I know several people who have done time, have family members doing time or friends doing time for Marijuana, and your statement would have earned you a browbeating, if not an actual one. Since when has whats right for the economy and our bottomline been as an excuse to do what we know is wrong? Your arguement was used to prolong slavery in the United States earlier in history. The free labor of slaves in the south was able to keep cotton prices low, and allowed a boom in sales all over the world because it was cheap. When the idea of freeing the slaves was discussed, the number one arguement besides the state rights vs. federal law and voter power being tipped to free states was the impact that freedom would have on their wallets. Marijuana laws here in the United States and all over the wolrd are designed to do one thing and one thing only. To keep you and yours ever mindful of the power that the goverment has over you mind, body and lifestyle. That and to keep the super rich corporations cash flow readily available. I do understand that taxationa and goverment oversight flies in the face of the free market economy, but the free market economists use this arguement to open factories overseas to avoid labor unions, fair days pay, and fair taxation from a goverment where they sell their own product in that country. Maybe its just me, but I'd like to think that people would rather do what is right toward their fellow man (or woman), than have a few extra dollars in their pocket. I know I would. So no, I don't agree with this arguement at all. And at the end of the day, a bull market, bear market or whatever the hell does not keep a seed from sprouting. When did economies become about supressing the natural world?

dbfr3sh

i am a physic and the tarot cards tell me its gunna go like this.....

obama will not legalize MJ in the next year or two-not going to happen! but he wants to be the next big president that accomplishes something that puts him in the record books. hes presidencey was very controversal so hes not going to do anything right now and f up his term yet.

so whats he goin to do? will it be legalized? probably yes... what might happen is after his first year or two in his term hell start thinking about his presidencey and if he didnt do anything really that great or fix the "economy" than before hes up for re-election he will legalize weed IF his term isnt going well.

hes the first "half-black" president so hes already on the chopping block or under the magnafying glass. if he does do this it will almost guarentee him another term and probably in the history books.

now on the economy he will legalize weed (the growing of) and of course, tax it. with these taxes that most will pay will be split up to start paying off our debt. now u think if it does become legal that what stops people from doing it illegally, not paying taxes. well we have gps so its not hard to pinpoint places that are legally growing crop. now how are these cities goin to map out the places where its being grown. well this is the better part. since we would have to link gps and people your going to create a business where people go houses or farmlands and regulate things make sure your keeping it legal. this makes sooo many possible jobs. out of what they tax say 80% goes to debt and the 20% goes to paying workers for the new job and other expenses.

no matter what you believe here just know that this whole world, government, and just about everyone WANTS TO MAKE $$$. USA will legalize weed if they can find a way to profit huge off of it. OBAMA wnats to be a ledgend and america would love to make money off something they dont have to do.

so you hate me right now and you dont wanna pay taxes...well this will be the way it works so start saving now. $2500 a year in taxes X 100,000people a year = $250m per year. duhhhh its gunna happen.

they will probably make it more illegal to drive while under the influence. so a punk who decides to not consider anyone else on the road and gets caught blazin in the car gets a big fine. more money for america. the stupid people dont get this concept will end of in jail for being stupid. after years once people in jail for BS crimes die you will only have hardcore criminals and stupid people that cant smoke in their homes.

there trying to do this in MA right now and i think it would work. if we give the government a piece of the pie that they dont have to work for mayb theyll get off our backs. it sucks but 80% of something is better than 100% of nothing and then sitting in jail for a couple years.

cant wait to read the replies of pissed of people.

The economy is a tool used by individuals to control the masses. These individuals who have the ability to influence these markets don't want you to have a choice. These individuals want you to consume that which they provide for them to make profit. Its very disgustiing and it goes back hundreds if not thousands of years.

Lets say I created the first bank, and I took record of every individual's wealth who registered at my instituion. What is there to prevent me from creating an account for my cousin or brother's wealth without having anything to show for it. A few hundred years go by and your family line now has millions on the books. Now the people who actually registered their wealth are trying to figure out where this other family just came from. The truth is long gone.

DeezyH

ICMag Donor
since pot has been a major contributor to teh agricultural GNP for all these years why would that require goverment control to make it continue to help out economy?

Source? Marijuana is already regulated and indirectly taxed. Legalization would open up many new markets and opportunities for marijuana cultivators.

you didnt get the part of the black market represnting 10% of the global economy and most major governments (esp USA) understand and consider this info in ecomic analysis

What source are you using for your facts?

The US represents about 1/4 of global GDP at ~13 Trillion dollars (less now), the market for marijuana is estimated at around 65 Billion or ~.05% total GDP. Now take that and extrapolate it to calculate Marijuana's total contribution to global GDP. Think legalizing it will lead to global economic collapse? Not hardly, and govt regulation already exists. If anything legalizing would be deregulation which *I think* is what you desire.

i wanst much of a student, i didnt have the constitution to sit and be paradigmed all day like the majoirty of PHds (mostly surgeons, doctors) in my families who have thier degrees

So i dropped out wiht my dog ass 4.0 and made off on my own during the birth of hte IT industry

since anonymity has some bearing i wont list my professional alcolaydes but i certainly know ere i cam from

You win a cookie! In all those years in IT did you ever manage to figure out which button is the spell check?

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
ureapwhatusow - I do see some logic in your thoughts...but the REAL economic impact when it comes to legalization or TRUE decriminalization is hemp...If cannabis is allowed then by default hemp will be as well....The hemp industry has the potential to absolutely dwarf the cannabis for smoking industry and should not be left out of any legalization/decrim debate. That is where the real potential for a new green economy lies and it has just as many enemies as mary jane.

Hell i could grow hemp legally right now if i wanted...but for 200$ profit for a hectare ? No thanks!

You can get more for organic but i would like to see you grow more than 10ha organic hemp..

If there is a future for hemp..maybe cellulosic ethanol...i don't know seems like a longshot.

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
The economy is a tool used by individuals to control the masses. These individuals who have the ability to influence these markets don't want you to have a choice. These individuals want you to consume that which they provide for them to make profit. Its very disgustiing and it goes back hundreds if not thousands of years.

Lets say I created the first bank, and I took record of every individual's wealth who registered at my instituion. What is there to prevent me from creating an account for my cousin or brother's wealth without having anything to show for it. A few hundred years go by and your family line now has millions on the books. Now the people who actually registered their wealth are trying to figure out where this other family just came from. The truth is long gone.

Hey you can always be self sufficient..what's the problem too comfortable ?

Chomp

Hell i could grow hemp legally right now if i wanted...but for 200$ profit for a hectare ? No thanks!

You can get more for organic but i would like to see you grow more than 10ha organic hemp..

If there is a future for hemp..maybe cellulosic ethanol...i don't know seems like a longshot.

But if it were legal in the US then I guarantee you technology would finally be implemented to utilize hemp for all it usefulness and it's full potential would be realized. I'm sorry but as shitty as this sounds the world pretty much follows what the US does....

U

ureapwhatusow

I understand what you are saying about the free market that exists right now in the "marijuana economy". However, that doesn't change the fact that marijuana laws are racist, aimed at the lower economic classes, and are simply eating up resources to imprison non violent criminals. This statement is fine to post on the internet and I believe in seeing all sides of a issue before taking action to correct the problem, HOWEVER, I know several people who have done time, have family members doing time or friends doing time for Marijuana, and your statement would have earned you a browbeating, if not an actual one. Since when has whats right for the economy and our bottomline been as an excuse to do what we know is wrong? Your arguement was used to prolong slavery in the United States earlier in history. The free labor of slaves in the south was able to keep cotton prices low, and allowed a boom in sales all over the world because it was cheap. When the idea of freeing the slaves was discussed, the number one arguement besides the state rights vs. federal law and voter power being tipped to free states was the impact that freedom would have on their wallets. Marijuana laws here in the United States and all over the wolrd are designed to do one thing and one thing only. To keep you and yours ever mindful of the power that the goverment has over you mind, body and lifestyle. That and to keep the super rich corporations cash flow readily available. I do understand that taxationa and goverment oversight flies in the face of the free market economy, but the free market economists use this arguement to open factories overseas to avoid labor unions, fair days pay, and fair taxation from a goverment where they sell their own product in that country. Maybe its just me, but I'd like to think that people would rather do what is right toward their fellow man (or woman), than have a few extra dollars in their pocket. I know I would. So no, I don't agree with this arguement at all. And at the end of the day, a bull market, bear market or whatever the hell does not keep a seed from sprouting. When did economies become about supressing the natural world?

decriminilization would remove all legal penalties for possesing or growing

my point is, JUST LIKE HTE UNTAXED INTERNET

that we need a free and controlled market to have the economy balanced

its been cited many times in many arguments about the real cause of failure of the drug wars

I simply think that some things shouldnt be illegal, but shouldnt be regulated because regulation will reduce the dynamic effect pot has on the economy my virtue of its shift from being a free market commondity (which it is now) and being a controled market commodity (LIKE GAS AND TABACCO)

i guess no one considered wtf decrimilization woudlbe acceptable

If your gonna argue medical marijuana i rpomise you legalize the weed and in short measure pharmicutical lobbies will push the governmetn to make marijuana avaialbe to the pharmacutical community only

U

ureapwhatusow

Source? Marijuana is already regulated and indirectly taxed. Legalization would open up many new markets and opportunities for marijuana cultivators.

What source are you using for your facts?

The US represents about 1/4 of global GDP at ~13 Trillion dollars (less now), the market for marijuana is estimated at around 65 Billion or ~.05% total GDP. Now take that and extrapolate it to calculate Marijuana's total contribution to global GDP. Think legalizing it will lead to global economic collapse? Not hardly, and govt regulation already exists. If anything legalizing would be deregulation which *I think* is what you desire.

You win a cookie! In all those years in IT did you ever manage to figure out which button is the spell check?

no spell check here, my browser is lean and remote sorry if you assume differently

and the us might represnt a gross percentage of the world gnp but some economies such as NZ have it as thier top agricultural gnp producer

further more the articles i cited stated the whole of the black market comprised 10% of the global economy, not marijuana. stop altering the meaning of my information if you cant understand it

also if you have an education in economics and access to norml you will see were marijuana places in the rank of states gross gnp agricultural production and marijuana is top ten if not top 3 for many states

so a shift from marijuana being in a free market vs the controlled market if it is legalized will change its effect on the economy

in the simplest of terms you are robbing from peter to pay paul i.e. you want to take the margins that drive the marijuana trade and divert a percentage to the government which through manipualtion of corporate america is funneling funds right back to the corporations

you want to have the government create regulation enforcemnet a new law enforcemnt to police growers to see if they are compliant

the same perversion of power will make the market less attractive to the segment of the market that produces now

in fact lets do a case study of california

less dea since its legal?

less cops getting paid to enforce laws and control your lives?

government supporting your liberties at every dispensery?

where do you see the shift of revenue making the market more viable?

it will reduce the reward risk ratio and make it only worth while to those who can access capital to control the market because with government regulations you can

goodbye big tabacco, hello big marijuna?

no thanks as long as i live and breath and live in america i will still fight for basic freedoms and express my concerns

i dont have disparites to others so why make it personal

there are plenty of real discussion that lie behind the depths of this thread title perhaps you could lose the CRITIC in the CRITICal thinking

if im so off just say hey your wrong cause x,y,z if yoru right isnt that a better way to try to drag your balls over me on the anonymous internet?

sounds like your rocking that real DEEZ FUNK

WHOA ........... nOw DaT's GaNgStEr of U!

DeezyH

ICMag Donor
no spell check here, my browser is lean and remote sorry if you assume differently

and the us might represnt a gross percentage of the world gnp but some economies such as NZ have it as thier top agricultural gnp producer

further more the articles i cited stated the whole of the black market comprised 10% of the global economy, not marijuana. stop altering the meaning of my information if you cant understand it

also if you have an education in economics and access to norml you will see were marijuana places in the rank of states gross gnp agricultural production and marijuana is top ten if not top 3 for many states

so a shift from marijuana being in a free market vs the controlled market if it is legalized will change its effect on the economy

in the simplest of terms you are robbing from peter to pay paul i.e. you want to take the margins that drive the marijuana trade and divert a percentage to the government which through manipualtion of corporate america is funneling funds right back to the corporations

you want to have the government create regulation enforcemnet a new law enforcemnt to police growers to see if they are compliant

the same perversion of power will make the market less attractive to the segment of the market that produces now

in fact lets do a case study of california

less dea since its legal?

less cops getting paid to enforce laws and control your lives?

government supporting your liberties at every dispensery?

where do you see the shift of revenue making the market more viable?

it will reduce the reward risk ratio and make it only worth while to those who can access capital to control the market because with government regulations you can

goodbye big tabacco, hello big marijuna?

no thanks as long as i live and breath and live in america i will still fight for basic freedoms and express my concerns

i dont have disparites to others so why make it personal

there are plenty of real discussion that lie behind the depths of this thread title perhaps you could lose the CRITIC in the CRITICal thinking

if im so off just say hey your wrong cause x,y,z if yoru right isnt that a better way to try to drag your balls over me on the anonymous internet?

sounds like your rocking that real DEEZ FUNK

WHOA ........... nOw DaT's GaNgStEr of U!

So to summarize, you want to keep marijuana illegal to prevent the government from giving corporations tax money... That seems like cutting your nose to spite your face.

Also there are already several govt agencies whose responsibilities include regulating and monitoring the agricultural industry. Even with strict regulation and restrictions placed on tobacco it is still a primary cash crop for growers. Worrying about some phantom government agency inspecting your closet grow is not worth keeping it illegal/heavily regulated.

On a positive note you are doing a much better job with the spelling for what I assume is not your first language.

U

ureapwhatusow

So to summarize, you want to keep marijuana illegal to prevent the government from giving corporations tax money... That seems like cutting your nose to spite your face.

Also there are already several govt agencies whose responsibilities include regulating and monitoring the agricultural industry. Even with strict regulation and restrictions placed on tobacco it is still a primary cash crop for growers. Worrying about some phantom government agency inspecting your closet grow is not worth keeping it illegal/heavily regulated.

On a positive note you are doing a much better job with the spelling for what I assume is not your first language.

well not to prevent money going to corporations

i said why, because it will change the market dynamic

i used Information Technology as a example, because these industries recently changed the world, and IMO were able to do so because they werent hampered by government regulation

same wiht the auto industry but i don tthink your old enough to remember the early 1900's but there was a boom of building that changed as government started to regulate the industy

now in some cases regualtion is absolutely necessary, i agree, but i don no tbeliev ethis to be the case with cannabis

the government corporate tax example was made, but without direct correlation so i understand the confusion

as i see it, many american growers gain profit and spend localy. They do circumvent certain social obligations like taxes BUT my theorum is that we need a portion of untaxed income to adjust for government inefficiencies caused by regulated markets

its all bout the diversity of funds flowing into the american economy in a way congruent wiht consumerism, which requires a trickle down of revenue to thrive

marijuana is a renewable resource so this is an indefinate market force as it is .............. if we keep it that way

dopeshow

decriminilization would remove all legal penalties for possesing or growing

Unfortunately, your definition of decriminalization does not agree with the rest of the world's definition of decriminalization.

I've made my points in my previous posts... so I won't keep repeating them.... but dude decriminalization is NOT the answer.

Cannabis =/= the entire black market
black market influence =/= stable market
global economy =/= free market
your argument =/= correct

arresting cannabis growers and sellers = decriminalization

DeezyH

ICMag Donor
well not to prevent money going to corporations

i said why, because it will change the market dynamic

i used Information Technology as a example, because these industries recently changed the world, and IMO were able to do so because they werent hampered by government regulation

same wiht the auto industry but i don tthink your old enough to remember the early 1900's but there was a boom of building that changed as government started to regulate the industy

now in some cases regualtion is absolutely necessary, i agree, but i don no tbeliev ethis to be the case with cannabis

the government corporate tax example was made, but without direct correlation so i understand the confusion

as i see it, many american growers gain profit and spend localy. They do circumvent certain social obligations like taxes BUT my theorum is that we need a portion of untaxed income to adjust for government inefficiencies caused by regulated markets

its all bout the diversity of funds flowing into the american economy in a way congruent wiht consumerism, which requires a trickle down of revenue to thrive

marijuana is a renewable resource so this is an indefinate market force as it is .............. if we keep it that way

I do see your point and still have to disagree with your conclusion. I think the tax base would be much more limited than you think. Most home growers would have a very localized market, only the large scale green house operators and outdoor farmers would see the taxation/regulation. Think of it as a local person growing carrots and selling their surplus at a nearby farmers market. That food was not inspected by anyone but it is still "regulated" under state health guidelines.

Not that we will ever see pot for sale at farmers markets (legally) but more than likely it will be available at certain licensed establishments. This will probably be up to the individual states to decide (a good thing imo) and how mj supplied to those establishments is inspected/taxed will also be determined locally.

Despite regulation and taxation, the small scale grower will more than likely see no difference in their cash flow and profit margins. In fact they may even see an increase because of certain tax loopholes. I think only the mid to large scale grow-ops that supply much larger regions would fall under increased scrutiny as they should. There is a real danger in tainted buds causing people to get sick, and you also want some safeguards for the consumer.

IMO I feel the benefits, both socially and economically, of legalizing MJ far outweigh any potential impact government regulation might impose. It's impossible and unrealistic to inspect every small scale grower, they can't do it now with billions and they (the feds/staties) know this.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
my thought is should be decriminilizerd

that is .. no legal statues, you can grow sell whatever wihtout government regulation OR support or the down sides that go wiht it
Show me one single product in the nation that you're allowed to do this with. Why should cannabis be any different?

Certainly I support you in your desire for anyone to grow it themselves. AB 390 in CA allows that for anyone over the age of 21. (Here's hoping it gets passed)

The taxation part only comes into play for commercial operations. No big deal. There will be massive fields that will be sold and turned into products other than smokeable cannabis and a tax on it per ounce will quickly be deemed ridiculous.

I think you'll find that legalization is a much better recourse than decrim. Look at the laws in the states where it's been 'decriminalized' and you'll still see people suffering under the law.

Legalize it, tax it and heal the nation.

Latest posts

Latest posts