What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why all the hate with Autoflowers?

Koondense

Veteran
^how can one apply those options in an outdoor or guerrilla growing style? No way.

Autos have more trouble with mold also because of low stature. When it rains a lot, they can get sprayed with soil, humidity is also higher near the ground all day and especially at night. So there are lots of factors to consider in relation to growing style.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's true...'growing style' ...depends on area were you grow, how you grow. Being in semi-arid climate, no problems. Understandable with different more rain predominant regions.

Was mentioning root rot in regards to hydro.....my only experience w/ rr.

Again, to each their own.

offthehook

Veteran
@Koondense, you can overcome those troubles by growing on raised mounds made of predominantly peat based soil when doing GG style. (As be seen on my pics in page 1 of this thread, or check out my album)

Q

quokka

I think some people just don't like autoflowers because all they have ever grown is photoperiod strains, and the ability to flower all year round threatens their relevance.

Something so easy can replace a lot of hassle in some circumstances.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think some people just don't like autoflowers because all they have ever grown is photoperiod strains, and the ability to flower all year round threatens their relevance.

Something so easy can replace a lot of hassle in some circumstances.

Couldn't have said it better myself! GROW ON! ;o)

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^how can one apply those options in an outdoor or guerrilla growing style? No way.

Autos have more trouble with mold also because of low stature. When it rains a lot, they can get sprayed with soil, humidity is also higher near the ground all day and especially at night. So there are lots of factors to consider in relation to growing style.
you tested some of mine LBH autoflower genetics and you stil think this ..lol

I wood

Is it possible that some of the perceived hate is just lack of interest?
I have no hate for autoflowers but don’t want to grow any because it is a one shot deal. If I find something that works for myself or one of the five others I supply, I want to be able to keep producing it indefinitely. Autoflowers aren’t there yet as far as I know. Too much variation when starting from a seed each time.
Maybe one day autoflower seeds will be similar enough to meet my needs, maybe they are now and I’m just ignorant.

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Autoflowers are more for outdoor grows is mine opinion !
that why i select years for noordic outdoor and stable it .
so i can crow almost pure haze/sativa plants outdoor here in Amsterdam and finish long before rainy and cold september .
indoor i use proven klones dont understand why autoflowering indoor?...

LBH noordic guerilla outdoor grow

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Wolfshadoe

Just checking threads..

Just checking threads..

I see this is a pretty old thread,and the topic is very interesting..

Some very wise/sage opinions,and exsp..
Here is my lil 2 cents..Its really simple..Example..Where I come from ppl hunt hogs,and I have seen "wild" hogs I.E. Pineywoods rooter now almost >NON exsistant..Reason: Back oh bout 20 yrs ago ppl went "POT" belly pig crazy and of course relized wasn't what they wanted so they set them out to the wild..Outcome: Crazy lil fat pigs that just get into everything,not much good to eat{small}...You might wonder how I relate this to "Auto flower" thread?...

Not A damn thing I could do now to change it. I'm sure Not dissing what works For those and have seen with your own eyes the "pro's" of the AF..

However the "CONS" are AF insures seed companies that you have to keep re-buying their product.But again with knowledge you can reproduce y own beans..So in the big picture of things this will soon be in the "GENE" pool unless ppl start protecting/researching their
"Brand":biggrin:...Hey brothers/sisters its a "NEW" world out there now..You either stay ahead or get left behind..

No matter,They could replace ALL the replanted pines with auto flower MJ in my swamp any day!!!! Frigging timber companies!!
Merry Xmas/hanaka or whatever holiday yall enjoy..
Happy growing!!! No matter the trait!!!
Peace!! <ws>

EDIT: LBH>>>>>NICE!!!! sweet looking and phat!! Well done..

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
However the "CONS" are AF insures seed companies that you have to keep re-buying their product.But again with knowledge you can reproduce y own beans..So in the big picture of things this will soon be in the "GENE" pool unless ppl start protecting/researching their
"Brand"
:biggrin:...

Unfortunately it's the ruderalis that cannot be reproduced by clones, hence seeds are it.

https://www.autoflowering-cannabis.com/cloning-autoflower-cannabis-plants/

"Ruderalis plants know how old they are and they will start flowering two to tree weeks after sprouting no matter what light cycle they receive.
Because of this autoflowering trait, these plants cannot be cloned effectively. For example, if you manage to take a clone from this auto-flowering marijuana plant and you manage to plant it, it will flower exactly at the same time as it’s “mother”. This means that you’r newly taken clone will probably start flowering a few days after the cloning and nothing will return that little cutting back to vegetative stage as it is possible with regular short-day cannabis strains.
So as you can see autoflowering plants can be cloned but there is no point of that because you cannot set it back to the vegetative growing period and it will automatically flower and produce a harvest at the same time as the “mother” plant and you will get a one bud plant if you are lucky."

Many feminize and several of those do create hermetic problems. Right you are, those of us being purists, breeding regular seeds, patrons can create their own unique hybrids. Trying to isolate/find the best pheno for breeding, being honest about gene pool, stature...that's what separates a breeder and good breeder.

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i created mine Autoflowers just the same as i created mine show dogs (i breeded show dogs) selecting the best and best combinations each generation making it beter and beter .
same as dogs becorse you cant make clones of the show dog and wen breeeding you try to make the breed beter each generation.
sorry for my bad english hoop you understand what i try to explane !
the autoflowers i worked with now for 15 years i can sey most of mine autoflowers are beter dan noormal plants from seed in almost al seedbanks. and more stable i only see strains in seedbanks maked of F1 cros

bigAl25

Veteran
For small indoor grows they take at least one month off the total grow time. In 2 gallon pots you do give up yield but I like the reduction in exposure while I'm growing for my personal use. Depends on what state you live in. I'll switch back to fems once the law catches up in this asshole of the Midwest. Props to the states that have already legalized, we envy you. Mephisto is the auto breeder I'm running this time. It could be a whole lot better than my previous auto grow. Merry Christmas growers.

I've never grown any form of pot to full fruition, but I love the idea of plants that are smaller & easier to grow. And FASTER.

I think autos are genius for people living in illegal states who can't afford to grow a huge, stinky plant that takes months to harvest. If you live in a legal state where you can grow any/all kinds of pot, maybe they're less desirable. But if you're a noob like me who is short on space, time & privacy, strains like Lowryder are the best thing since sliced bread. These breeders really are genius & we're lucky to have all these options, IMO.

I don't mind any reduced potency since I prefer my weed to have less THC than today's commercial pot. Hell, I regularly smoke hemp with NO THC. Bring on the ruderalis genetics! :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've never grown any form of pot to full fruition, but I love the idea of plants that are smaller & easier to grow. And FASTER.

I think autos are genius for people living in illegal states who can't afford to grow a huge, stinky plant that takes months to harvest. If you live in a legal state where you can grow any/all kinds of pot, maybe they're less desirable. But if you're a noob like me who is short on space, time & privacy, strains like Lowryder are the best thing since sliced bread. These breeders really are genius & we're lucky to have all these options, IMO.

I don't mind any reduced potency since I prefer my weed to have less THC than today's commercial pot. Hell, I regularly smoke hemp with NO THC. Bring on the ruderalis genetics! :)

Sounds like a plan....go for it!

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I will be running 6 to 8 autos this season. Lebanese semi auto and auto Malawi x Northern lights. I will be documenting the grow at the Ace seeds forum. I'm at 49 north, I expect these genetics to perform very well. My grow will be in a greenhouse, please check out my grow. Peace

Dawgfunk

I’ve been against the idea of autoflowers for a while just because of the fact that you can’t clone em. Anyway, had some buds get together and throw some auto beanz of the white in some dirt to see what they’d do. Turned out to be the dank, super sweet and not a whole lot of work on their end. One big, fat cola. Still hasn’t had a proper cure but for what it is, definitely a great change of pace from the outdoor we’ve been smokin since october.

Latest posts

Latest posts