What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why 400w hps bulbs bend ?

snakedope

Thanks three berries I will check this out
Hammerhead it seems plausible but all of them were orianted differently probably and still show the same signs, the thing is the wire is bending towards the glass not the arc tube

snakedope

typically bend or bow because of uneven heating that occurs during use. One side of the bulb can become hotter than the other, which can result in uneven expansion of the gas inside the lamp. The bulb can also bend due to vibration, which can happen if it is not properly secured or if there is too much movement around it. Proper installation and positioning of the bulb can help reduce the likelihood of it bending, and regular maintenance and cleaning can also help extend its life.
Both in the cool tubes and normal air hood it shows that bend, I've placed these 400w in 3 different set ups, all bent.
Tomorrow I'm taking them back to the vendor, I want Chinese or sylvinha bulbs, let's see if they bend.

IMG_20230322_024130.jpg

On the left an unused one, on the right one with maybe 400 hours on it
IMG_20230322_024149.jpg

snakedope

I might add that I also used the 600w 400v philips bulb from ebay In the same set ups for 300-400 hours also with no bend or problems whatsoever so I'm not dismissing philips or anything, I think this is a local batch or fakes bulbs problem, well see.

Ca++

Need to see the side of the box with the sticker on I think. The lamp has no voltage rating. Also need to know what you are driving it with. To see that it all matches.

The antenna bar has an expansion loop. It should never bend. Something is wrong.

snakedope

Need to see the side of the box with the sticker on I think. The lamp has no voltage rating. Also need to know what you are driving it with. To see that it all matches.

The antenna bar has an expansion loop. It should never bend. Something is wrong.
The bulb is what three berries posted, 230v
I drive it with both lumatek 230/400v ballast (new) and some Chinese ballasts (digi, new)
Other bulbs in the same ballasts never showed these problems.

Ca++

Unfortunately TB has the right page, but Philips have pictured the wrong lamp.
Looking at these in my possession, the writing on the lamp should be crisp. The layout is inconstant over the years, but never so poorly applied. It looks like somebody stamped it on with a potato.

snakedope

Unfortunately TB has the right page, but Philips have pictured the wrong lamp.
Looking at these in my possession, the writing on the lamp should be crisp. The layout is inconstant over the years, but never so poorly applied. It looks like somebody stamped it on with a potato.
Yeah the graphic on the carton box also seems kinda sketchy but who knows..
The same happened to me a couple years ago, with a Philips 400W Greenpower as well.
So it seems not so uncommon...
Shit, same bulb like me.. weird shit.

snakedope

Thanks for the help guys, didn't think people would go so far as to fake hps lamps, and even if so have the courage to sell them as original philips lamps.

NEED 4 SEED

To me they too look faked from the printing. The metal wire inside also looks like aluminum when it's actually made of steel. But double check your voltage and watts too, when you're using both 230 and 400 volts.

snakedope

To me they too look faked from the printing. The metal wire inside also looks like aluminum when it's actually made of steel. But double check your voltage and watts too, when you're using both 230 and 400 volts.
The lumatek is 230/400 auto select, you can't control it.
But I placed them in all-sorts of ballasts, 230 ones exclusive also, all show these signs..
I went to the vendor he says he never saw anything like that and he sell hundreds of philips bulbs
But he is gonna try and get a companstion from them anyhow

mme_oscar

Hi,

I had this issue at the begining of electronic ballasts. With legit phillips or sylvania.I thought there was issue with some kind of vibrations due to the new tech.
One thing I don't get is: do you use 400v single ended fixture? If so why would use a 230v build in the same fixture. I guess it's different animals. And I've never seen 400v 400w bulbs.

Edit: I didn't see the last post. I wasn't aware of this type of ballast.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didn't know they made a 400w 400v model. They only list 600w 400v and 1kw 400v models. I don't see anything that says these are 240/400v autoselecting?. These types of ballast must be used with 400v bulbs only.

This is the 600w 400v model.. 400w ballast can't run 400v bulbs. Their website has no other info.
Project1.png

As long as you're running these bulbs in a cooltube or other enclosed hood I wouldn't worry about it. If they work and produce good flowers just use them until you need new bulbs.

Last edited:

Crowmax

Veteran
I was randomly watching a documentary about Philips yesterday
they basically have sold all their departments, only their razors machines are still produced by them.
So another guess could be that these lamps won't be the same quality anymore...?

snakedope what reflector you using?

snakedope

I didn't know they made a 400w 400v model. They only list 600w 400v and 1kw 400v models. I don't see anything that says these are 240/400v autoselecting?. These types of ballast must be used with 400v bulbs only.
No no, there isn't 400w 400v, you got lil mixed up... The lumatek pro 400v ballast automatically knows which bulb u connect to it, it can run both 230v and 400v bulbs in it.
It's not only for 400v bulbs.
This is the 600w 400v model.. 400w ballast can't run 400v bulbs. Their website has no other info.
View attachment 18822244
Their ballast is 400/440/600/660w - 230/400v ballast, it can run all 400w bulbs and 600w bulbs, 400w bulbs don't come in 400v voltage rating, so your supposed to run normal 230v 400w bulbs instead as the ballast is also 230v if you connect this kind of bulb to it.
Anyhow, I've also used the bulbs in normal 230v digi ballast not 400v, still happens.

As long as you're running these bulbs in a cooltube or other enclosed hood I wouldn't worry about it. If they work and produce good flowers just use them until you need new bulbs.
That's the thing, they work, but do they ? Maybe their spectrum is fucked or intensity is shut, they work for our eyes to see but I don't know if they run optimal in those conditions, seems whacked to me.
I changed them to the 600 yestarday and I already can see a change, but again it's marginal so can't say if it's the power of the 600 or progress of flowering or something else.
I was randomly watching a documentary about Philips yesterday
they basically have sold all their departments, only their razors machines are still produced by them.
So another guess could be that these lamps won't be the same quality anymore...?

snakedope what reflector you using?
Just a normal air hood, I call them cool tubes but they are not tubes, just closed air hoods.
also not closed air hoods (the super cheap ones) are mostly in my veg tents