What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why 400w hps bulbs bend ?

snakedope

So I got these 400w philips hps bulbs not so long ago, they are running perfect but I noticed that after a few days of working the inside wire that runs along the arc tube is bent towards the glass of the bulb, kinda touching it and leaving a burnt mark on the glass, also the entire construction inside looks crooked and bent... They were perfectly fine when I bought them.. funny thing is I have 250w and 600w of philips also but they never do that.. only the 400w, all of them.
IMG_20230321_192001.jpg

IMG_20230321_191931.jpg

Anyone seen this before and can elaborate ?

goingrey

Does it also have a scratch on the glass at the bend?

That is not good.

I don't know how many "all of them" is but if it's more than two I would switch brands.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's def from the heat.. They shouldn't bend that much. Curious if there are fake Phillips bulbs?.. Phillips is one of the largest bulb manufacturing companies there is. They make good quality bulbs.

snakedope

I bought more then 10 unites of these 400w, maybe they are from a bad batch or some, I do know they were sitting at the hydro shop for couple of years probably..
When I said all of them I mean all of the 400 bulbs I bought do it, some worse and touch the glass and some just bend and don't touch the glass, yet.

Very weird, I know I haven't seen anything like this before so it's kinda strange and I dunno if it's a hazard for the bulbs
They are still working fine...
Today I replaced the 3 x 400 in my 4x8 to 3 x 600 philips also, I'll wait and see if it happens to them also.

snakedope

Does it also have a scratch on the glass at the bend?
Doesn't seem to have any outside damage...
Maybe on the inside but it's not visible now cuz it burnt the glass
I do remember they were perfect when I bought them, I always take them off the box and rattle them a but to see if they are solid or broken

goingrey

It's def from the heat.. They shouldn't bend that much. Curious if there are fake Phillips bulbs?.. Phillips is one of the largest bulb manufacturing companies there is. They make good quality bulbs.
I think I saw somewhere that Philips makes nothing but beard trimmers nowadays. For everything else they just license their name to other manufacturers. But there are def also counterfeits: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-207462

Doesn't seem to have any outside damage...
Maybe on the inside but it's not visible now cuz it burnt the glass
I do remember they were perfect when I bought them, I always take them off the box and rattle them a but to see if they are solid or broken
In the photo it looks like a scratch but I guess it's just the way it burned.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think I saw somewhere that Philips makes nothing but beard trimmers nowadays. For everything else they just license their name to other manufacturers. But there are def also counterfeits: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-207462

In the photo it looks like a scratch but I guess it's just the way it burned.

PHILLIPS has many different divisions. I use a Phillips beard trimmer. They even make electric toothbrushes lol.

Last edited:

goingrey

lol, PHILLIPS has many diffranerant divisions.
When I heard about it they were talking about TVs but it is indeed true for lamps as well. Philips Lighting is since 2016 a actually company called Signify N.V. Don't know if they manufactured this bulb. It does say made in Belgium, but so did the Chinese counterfeit I posted a link to earlier.

snakedope

But how come all defective ?
And especially the 400w...
Maybe they are getting too hot in the cool tubes for their own good ?
My 3 x 600 start in a couple of hours so we'll see if they deform also
I have another op with a 400 in a open classic hood and the bulb bent aswell, not like the one in the pic, but getting there, so the cool tubes option is not looking like the culprit
I guess they are just defective batch or some, hard to believe but I see no other explanation

Three Berries

I have another op with a 400 in a open classic hood and the bulb bent aswell, not like the one in the pic, but getting there, so the cool tubes option is not looking like the culprit
I guess they are just defective batch or some, hard to believe but I see no other explanation
My guess is counterfeit. Phillips is usually a good name bulb.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Can you post pictures of the lamps please?

snakedope

They are rather cheap here, although they sell the 400w for more then the 600w, weird shit

With the 600 and 250 I don't see problems,
But now that I think about it I bought the 600w 400v version from ebay, and the 250w I can't remember if it's a philips or not.

Now I'm even more suspecios of these cats, only their bulbs deform, and they are dirt cheap when they sell rather high on ebay..
I'm just used to buy all hid hardware for dirt cheap ever since LEDs kicked into high gear, so I didn't think any of it (counterfeit)

Yeah I will post pics of all the 400w bulbs when I'm near them np

snakedope

The 3x600 I've put today are from the same vendor, price was way too low lol
But everything else seems legit
If it happens to the 600w that I bought from him then we will know.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
typically bend or bow because of uneven heating that occurs during use. One side of the bulb can become hotter than the other, which can result in uneven expansion of the gas inside the lamp. The bulb can also bend due to vibration, which can happen if it is not properly secured or if there is too much movement around it. Proper installation and positioning of the bulb can help reduce the likelihood of it bending, and regular maintenance and cleaning can also help extend its life.