What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whos got the best Afghan?

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey truecannabliss, those look great and share a strong resemblance to the Kandahar plants that I just grew. Do you happen to have any locality info on yours? I hear that the helmand province is also similar with the black and purple colors and interesting color patterns on the leaves. I wonder if there is a clear distiction between the desert lowland afghanis and the highland hindu kush afghanis?

I don't have specific info but my seeds were brought back by a British soldier so very possible they are from somewhere like the Helmand province or some other part where military are.

MD84

Why do you say she's possibly your greatest find? Can you give us any info on the smells/taste? The ChemValleyCooks i ran was dankety dank. I'd be real interested in an Afghan cross...

ngakpa

Veteran
I wonder if there is a clear distiction between the desert lowland afghanis and the highland hindu kush afghanis?

farmers in Afghanistan have a choice of several different landraces - in other words, seeds and strains are pretty mobile within the Afghan and NW Pakistan region

the most widely used one in Afghanstan is the Mazari, including in the south in places like Helmand - it's a big plant, potentially over 4m, not what Westerners think of as Mazari

the highland/lowland thing doesn't really bring anything to the picture, imo

for example, Kandahar is at over 1000m, even Lashkargah in Helmand is about 800m, so neither of those are in any sense 'lowland'

Mazar-i-Sharif and Balkh are around 350m, but in so far as strains associated with the region are distinct it's more that they appear to have connections with the region to the north, ie what was once called Turkestan

it may be you can meaningully talk about Hindu Kush versus Afghan Turkestani strains, but highland versus lowland seems pretty meaningless to me in the context of Afghanistan

Hempy McNoodle

Thanks for the info ngakpa!

I think the plants that truecannablis showed look a lot like what Derg Corra Collective is offering. And, while truecannabliss' came from a British soldier at an unknown locale, Derg Corra's came from helmand province via a danish soldier in 2016, I think. And they all look a lot like my Kandahar (circa 1980's) from Underground Seed Co (France), which they sell as 'Black Afghani.' All seem to be very compact plants. My Black Afghanis also look just like a pic of Bodhi's Kandahar landrace that I saw online.

...Not that any of this matters because of so much mixing of seeds across the region over time as you mentioned. I just find it all rather interesting.

Hempy McNoodle

Ngakpa, if I re-phrase it, instead of highland vs lowland, in Afghanistan, is there any distinction between southern vs northern afghani plants or is it all pretty scattered?

ngakpa

Veteran
Ngakpa, if I re-phrase it, instead of highland vs lowland, in Afghanistan, is there any distinction between southern vs northern afghani plants or is it all pretty scattered?

the trouble with questions like this is they're asking for a level of precision that nobody is really in a position to give right now

clearly the Mazari aka Balkhi aka Mazar-i-Sharif strain is originally from Balkh, in the north

but as for other landraces, where they originate from, to what extent they're hybirds between landraces etc. etc. nobody can say until these plants are studied...

and with the rate at which Western hybrids are being sent to these regions now, a proper study may never be possible, because they'll all be wiped out

Hempy McNoodle

picture.php

therevverend

Veteran
it may be you can meaningully talk about Hindu Kush versus Afghan Turkestani strains, but highland versus lowland seems pretty meaningless to me in the context of Afghanistan

Exactly. Every time I see 'lowland Afghani' it makes the vein behind my eyes dilate for a moment. I suppose you could call thin leaf Indian strains 'lowland' and and the wide leaf plants 'highland'. It's an advertising gimmick, because there's 'lowland and highland' in SE Asia and Columbia and landrace seeds are popular right now. It makes sense if you want to sell your Afghani seeds and need a marketing point. I think I wouldn't buy someone's highland Afghani seeds on general principle.

it may be you can meaningully talk about Hindu Kush versus Afghan Turkestani strains

I like you've been talking about the difference there, I agree that until this stuff is studied it's impossible to quantify. How big of a role do different ethnic groups play in the hashish and seed trade? There was a perfect opportunity in the late 60s early 70s to study the seed trade but we blew it, maybe never get the chance again. We know they've been selectively breeding plants for a long time. How big of a difference is there between the short and stout plants and the larger bushier ones? What about the narrow leaf varieties? Are the large bushy ones hybrids?

Hempy McNoodle

She smoked very well dr feelzgood, she was heavily seeded so I'm sure she'd taste better as sensimilla. Smooth expansive cedar-incense taste. Typical indica effects although I harvested at week 11. I had to wait for the seeds to fully mature. Otherwise I think I would have harvested around weeks 7-8.

Hempy McNoodle

Well, since I'm the one who brought it up and I don't want to make anyone's eyes get all dialated. I was just curious if there are, or were, any distinctions between plants in the mountainous north of Afghanistan vs the desert south. I have never been to the country. So, naturally I wondered if the plants from the south had any apparent influence from the middle east (from iran to the red sea region). And whether the northern region would have more influence from Central Asia turkestani (Mazari). But from what I'm reading from you all. It is either a monocrop across the entire country. Or a few cultivars scattered evenly. If so, why would anyone care about having locality landraces from different regions of Afghanistan. If you have one you have them all, right? But, that can't be the case, can it? I don't know....now I have even more questions than I started with!

I would love to go there and see for myself, but I am afraid of getting my head chopped off by a mosquito or catching malaria from the blood sucking Taliban.

ngakpa

Veteran
But from what I'm reading from you all. It is either a monocrop across the entire country. Or a few cultivars scattered evenly. If so, why would anyone care about having locality landraces from different regions of Afghanistan. If you have one you have them all, right? But, that can't be the case, can it? I don't know....now I have even more questions than I started with!

I don't know who or what gave you idea that it's the same landrace across the entire country!

Afghanistan has region-specific landraces, and it has seeds available in the bazaars - it's no more complicated than that

for more precision:

UNODC lists several (c. 10 ish) different strains

but even then, to what extent their names correspond to botanically distinct plants isn't clear

a friend of mine was in northern Afghanistan in 2018. He didn't find seeds for sale in bazaars there, but he did find farmers growing quite distinct strains in different places. He didn't, however, find a landrace that corresponds to the famous Mazari/Balkhi landrace, with red stems etc.

trouble is, not aiming this at anyone in particular, but Westerners are in such a rush to subsume everything to their preconceived notions, the more simple and black and white the better

this creates huge confusion and chaos, especially for cannabis in Afghanistan, and not least with this nonsense idea about Indicas and Sativas

CannaZen

Okay so i saw protesters from a skinhead retard over yonder... makes me think i were not the first to get ideas its a very old thing in a brave new world. They were calling for starfleet...

They kept yelling starfleet. Felt very quantum singular as if it were happening real time. God damn fuck, makes me feel responsible enough to go to afghanistan the dumb cuck once you mate a plant its mated for lfe. I mean i remember spunned the butterfly in second, i live on an island and i heard there prayer (01) Because i stole the breadth out of the mountainside and answered.. shortly before i were kilt. I said NO. I refused mature plants for young plants alike and then fell out. How ironic predicted this coming.

Here's Pakistan red

Afghan

Paki red

Last edited:

ICGA

Thanks for the info ngakpa!

I think the plants that truecannablis showed look a lot like what Derg Corra Collective is offering. And, while truecannabliss' came from a British soldier at an unknown locale, Derg Corra's came from helmand province via a danish soldier in 2016, I think. And they all look a lot like my Kandahar (circa 1980's) from Underground Seed Co (France), which they sell as 'Black Afghani.' All seem to be very compact plants. My Black Afghanis also look just like a pic of Bodhi's Kandahar landrace that I saw online.

...Not that any of this matters because of so much mixing of seeds across the region over time as you mentioned. I just find it all rather interesting.
Do you think that the "Kandahar" Afghanistan phenotypes your talking about are the supper dense afghan phenotype referred to earlier in the thread? Possibly related to the Rock Bud? The most dense weed I ever had when I was a kid was nick named "brown fog" an Oz looked like 7g and it was literally brown and so dense that you couldn't see individual tricombs so it looked like shit but it got you soo stoned it was uncomfortable even if you had a massive tolerance. I've thought it must have been rock bud for years...

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
WOS Afghan Kush was very nice. SAD from Sweet Seeds is great, I know not a landrace. I have a pack of Afghan Black, glad to hear it is at least a good strain. Soon I will be growing some indica or hybrid pot like in days of old. Been on a sativa quest for a few years now.