What's new

Who's goin' vertical? First Stadium

B

BasementGrower

im in bro.. subscribed.. very nice . i am running 4000w 3 hps in 1 room. and 1 mh in the other.. i really wana switch to VERT. but im having second thought .. honestly. only because ive never ran a room with the center of the room not having plants and everything. im really thinking of going Vert Stadium style..... buttt iunno i need a push lol

D

DHF

Where you was......I mean Who dat is.......We still kickin round yo thread , but some of us are distracted elsewhere.....some more than others...anyways....

Get backta work and show us some shit....now....

BasementGrower.....Git yer ass down here and start a thread.....Guaranteed we`ll hook yas up on howta hang bare bulbs and dial the environment as well as the sideways canopy.....

Jump on in da pool......The water`s fine......

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

Last edited:

Mister_D

Veteran
BasementGrower.....Git yer ass down here and start a thread.....Guaranteed we`ll hook yas up on howta hang bare bulbs and dial the environment as well as the sideways canopy.....

Jump on in da pool......The water`s fine......

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

:yeahthats Or better yet build yourself some racks :biggrin:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Thanks for stopping in and saying what's up everybody. :yes: No dry weight numbers yet though. I haven't even started thinking about dropping any of these broads yet. I'm working out of town this week so this weekend might be the start of harvest. With so many different kinds of strains going right now there are bound to be lot's of different flower times. That being said the headband will still probably be the first to come down. I've still been pulling fan leaves off the girls. I don't want them using them up and gobbling them at this point, would rather them use up smaller leaves on the colas themselves. I like them to look raggedy and used up right before the drop. Nice smooth smoke and no harshness is what I'm after. Tonight will be day 67 of flower so I have to imagine that things are going to be getting alot more interesting here soon.

Not in a hurry as well because I wouldn't mind giving the next round coming up just a weeee bit more veg time to bulk up a bit before they take the place of their big sisters. Next lineup will be tamed down a bit with the diversity and the flavors will be Flo, Chem Dawg, triple diesel and jedi kush. Plus I ended up throwing in the two master kushes and the mk ultra already. That leaves the other Triple diesel and the Blackberry Bubba Kush in the beginnings of flower. After all the original broads come down shit will get organized in there a bit and then things will be rocking along.

Already looking ahead I'm going to do away with the 2 gallon square pots if I can help it and instead be rocking 3 gallons with the occasional 5 gallon where it will fit. I think this will help alot as the chem dawgs and appalachian mud squids in the twos didn't get nearly as big.

Another wordy update I know but when I get back into town I'm sure something will be coming down and I'll have some more pictures. Take care ya'll an thanks for stopping in.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Got home and have mixed feelings with what I saw. Everything is doing fine but it seems like there aren't any more amber trichs yet which I wasn't expecting. I was hoping things would be turning more by this point but there are still hardly any ambers. However, things keep swelling little by little. Flowers are flopping over. The ISS has started changing colors and the main cola is getting a gangster lean to it. I just would have thought that at day 68 some of them would have been ready to pull. I think that after a week though they will HAVE to come down regardless, for the next round of ladies. I took some pictures but they are all crapshit so I won't fool with it. I guess this is just really a lesson in patience.... waiting for silver to come in here talking about 97 day nightmares and such, haha.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Or better yet build yourself some racks

:whistling:

Shelves, at least

Edit: I'm s'damned impatient. Instant gratification, it's a helluva drug.

Good call on the Nightmares. ;) Though when properly done, she's perfect at about 84 days. ONLY 84 days. ;)

..But, for seriousness, .. That shit is worth it. :D

and HA! Funny that you'd speak of me with the patience, and then me with the whole hurried-post thing. Anyway.

Glad to hear you're happy with the new setup :good: It's always fun - it's like a new toy

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Can feeding them a bit too much N later in flower prolong flowering times? I want to say I've heard that and I'm not making it up. If so maybe that would explain why things are dragging on like they are. Oh well, another lesson learned. In any case I've decided that no matter the general ripeness or whatever, these broads are coming down no later than thursday the 7th. Bet on it. Got to get the other round in there so's they can be done before it's time to move. Potted up the Jedi Kushes too. They have gotten over their rude awakening to hot soil and I've potted them up with some used up soil to let them come into their own. Watered them in with some mycos and they have already started taking off.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
silver, perfect timing.... love it.

wdi: i've done plenty vert, think you will like it ultimately, it's "the tits"

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Can feeding them a bit too much N later in flower prolong flowering times? I want to say I've heard that and I'm not making it up. If so maybe that would explain why things are dragging on like they are.

Yep. I've found it'll prolong flowering times, and also I swear I've noticed a connection between to much N/too late . I've also found that too much N, too late, will also lead to more leaf production v calyx production. Leafier buds..

Some varieties, though, it can be a fine line. The Nightmare likes veg-levels of N through the first 3-4 weeks of flower, .. Other varieties, I reduce the N right at the flip..

Watered them in with some mycos and they have already started taking off.

Ooh ooh! We were just having a conversation about this in MileHighGuy's organic thread.

Which product do you use? And what's the watering-in application?

Edit: I forgot two important words, to finish a sentence. Y'know, .. Why complete a thought?!

Last edited:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Silver - I have humboldt nutrients myco madness. Haven't used any other products so I can't compare. Definitely seen fungus growing on moist topsoil after applications though which I thought was pretty cool. I use half a teaspoon per gallon.

D

DHF

You know....I tryta stay outta organic soil grows cuz I have no clue other than my shit at the farm grows killer veggies....but....

As SH stated , elevated levels of nitrogen will indeed increase flowering times and leafier/airier nugs with certain strains/varieties/hybrids/polyhybrids , but.....

Each plant reacts differently to NPK during each trimester of their cycle and nuthin`s written in stone , and .......

That`s why I preach monocroppin each variety in it`s own room so nutrient profiles as well as environmental needs are dialed and upgraded each run till yas can`t squeeze another gram outta each rotation.....anyways....

I always did away completely with my GH 3 part N once stretch was completely over and the plants were in full swellage mode , and increased ppm`s with the bloom formula with as little micro as possible to keep em from yellowin off to fast durin mid flower.....and...there`s been many heated debates about leaving nitrogen in the mix till end of cycle over the yrs.....but...

IME , it`s better get rid of the fans with stems once stretch is over and rid itself of residual stored juice while droppin ppm`s gradually for the last couple weeks to leach most of stored juice.....

Good luck....DHF...

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Thanks for sticking your head in DHF. I think that that might be the case with the N. I've already pulled most of the fans off so they wouldn't be eating those too.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Well well well, chop day finally came for the old broads. I managed to snap a couple of pictures of the pre chop but I haven't yet managed to pull the fans and get them properly situated and hung up to dry yet. I was hoping to do that later today.

Lessons learned this round.
Light Leaks - I apparently didn't have the room as light tight as I had previously thought. I have since had to cut down the Blackberry Bubba Kush for dropping nuts as well. It might have actually gotten to the point of spreading pollen too but only time will tell. Also, most of the others girls have had a stray banana here and there towards the end and I've found a premature seed on both a chemdawg and the Island sweet skunk. I've since tried to tighten up any light leaks but will probably spend some time trying to tighten up my passive intake as well. Already have some plans about that but I just have to get around to it.

Too much N too late in flower. - These broads didn't look as done as I would have hoped for. I might have fed them too much too late in flower or possibly been giving them too much N but they just had to come down anyhow. I pulled them last night which was day 76 of flower and most of them don't have many amber trichomes. All have at least cloudy with some ambers peppered around but not nearly like the 75% amber that I want to see. I have to pot up the next round of girls and throw them in tonight when the lights come on. Time necessitates this.

Trellis Support - Don't bother with the trellis netting until the girls are done stretching. I had quite a time untangling them to get them out and they didn't have nearly the amount of support that I wanted for the majority of flower. I figure that when they are done stretching you can really spread out the canopy how you want for the rest of flower and pull suckers and fans accordingly.

Pot Size - This run I ran a bunch of girls (App and chem) in 2 gallon pots and that definitely held them back compared to a 3 gallon or more. With the Appalachian Mud Squid I had one in a 3 gallon and 2 in 2 gallons. The one in the 3 gallon had a better spot as far as light went as well so that probably skewed the results a bit in it's favor but there was still a huuuuuggeeee difference in size with the one 3 gallon and two 2 gallons. I had to run it like this for space reasons but for this next run they will all be in at least 3 gallon pots with some in 5 gallons as well as space permits.

All that being said I had a good time with my first vert setup and this will definitely be my best pull to date. I really enjoy how much more ground you can cover with the vertical arrangement and also the 3D aspect it brings to your grow. I fucking love tinkering with this weed shit. You can call me a vert convert now. I know I mentioned it before but I already sold my 1k and air cooled hood. Also, this is just the first part of a two part series. I have several different girls in there now all with different flowering start dates so that will get interesting as time goes on but I also have one last major group of girls going in there now after I pot them up.

Enough with the novel, pics or it never happened. Please excuse the pictures too, I was in a hurry and these girls only wanted to flop around like a pack of drunk broads so I had to hold them up.

Flo - Good colors and smell, dense buds. If it's anything like the flo I've had around here it will have some really great taste (hopefully).

picture.php

Chemdawg- Here pictured is one of the 6 of them. They didn't get as big as I had hoped but the frost factor is there big time. Definitely golf ball sized buds that are pretty dense. They are going in 3 gallon pots next time compared to the 2s they were in this round

picture.php

Big Bud Blueberry - Did as expected, big yielder but doesn't have any out of this world taste which is what I'm primarily after. It smells amazingly fruity when jostled around. Not enough to wow me though, won't be running it again this round

picture.php

Appalachian Mud Squid - What's in a name? Well enough to pique my interest. From research and best guesses it's an (Appalachia x Super Silver Haze). I'm interested to sample this one. It started to foxtail a bit so I think it will be a really interesting looking bud when it's all trimmed and cured.

picture.php

picture.php

Next post for the rest.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Master Kush - I was on the fence with this one because I thought that it had way too much stretch with not enough bud on it. It looks like it but all the buds seem to be really dense and definitely have that "kush" look to them. This one might be awesome without me ever having enough faith in it. I don't know why but the smell of them without rubbing or gently squeezing reminds me of vanilla yogurt. I thought that odd enough to mention it. I'm running it again this round but the new ones will go untopped in 3 gallons (this one was topped in just a 2 gallon)

picture.php

Island Sweet Skunk - I can't emphasize this enough, LAAAANNNKKKKY! I topped this girl when I put her in flower and she only laughed at me. "Try to slow me down?! I will stretch with two tops then!!!" Serious survivor this one, slap it, trim it, top it, defoliate it - it just laughs and takes it in stride. Looks to be a good yielder but this next run I will be alot more judicial in my trimming and pruning. It will pay off in the long run.

picture.php

Headband - This girl was one of the sad survivors that made it and got to flower. This was a crazy looking supercropped plant that I had to really get at and trim away. I still ended up with a fair amount of weird popcorn larf but I don't care. This is my favorite strain for taste and one of my top favorite strains across the board. I just hope that it tastes as good as the last one I had, straight lemonade.

picture.php

That's it for now but I have plenty more work cut out for me so check back in a day or so as I will have put up another update.

:thank you:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Well well well, chop day finally came for the old broads. I managed to snap a couple of pictures of the pre chop but I haven't yet managed to pull the fans and get them properly situated and hung up to dry yet. I was hoping to do that later today.

Lessons learned this round.
Light Leaks - I apparently didn't have the room as light tight as I had previously thought. I have since had to cut down the Blackberry Bubba Kush for dropping nuts as well. It might have actually gotten to the point of spreading pollen too but only time will tell. Also, most of the others girls have had a stray banana here and there towards the end and I've found a premature seed on both a chemdawg and the Island sweet skunk. I've since tried to tighten up any light leaks but will probably spend some time trying to tighten up my passive intake as well. Already have some plans about that but I just have to get around to it.

Too much N too late in flower. - These broads didn't look as done as I would have hoped for. I might have fed them too much too late in flower or possibly been giving them too much N but they just had to come down anyhow. I pulled them last night which was day 76 of flower and most of them don't have many amber trichomes. All have at least cloudy with some ambers peppered around but not nearly like the 75% amber that I want to see. I have to pot up the next round of girls and throw them in tonight when the lights come on. Time necessitates this.

Trellis Support - Don't bother with the trellis netting until the girls are done stretching. I had quite a time untangling them to get them out and they didn't have nearly the amount of support that I wanted for the majority of flower. I figure that when they are done stretching you can really spread out the canopy how you want for the rest of flower and pull suckers and fans accordingly.

Pot Size - This run I ran a bunch of girls (App and chem) in 2 gallon pots and that definitely held them back compared to a 3 gallon or more. With the Appalachian Mud Squid I had one in a 3 gallon and 2 in 2 gallons. The one in the 3 gallon had a better spot as far as light went as well so that probably skewed the results a bit in it's favor but there was still a huuuuuggeeee difference in size with the one 3 gallon and two 2 gallons. I had to run it like this for space reasons but for this next run they will all be in at least 3 gallon pots with some in 5 gallons as well as space permits.

All that being said I had a good time with my first vert setup and this will definitely be my best pull to date. I really enjoy how much more ground you can cover with the vertical arrangement and also the 3D aspect it brings to your grow. I fucking love tinkering with this weed shit. You can call me a vert convert now. I know I mentioned it before but I already sold my 1k and air cooled hood. Also, this is just the first part of a two part series. I have several different girls in there now all with different flowering start dates so that will get interesting as time goes on but I also have one last major group of girls going in there now after I pot them up.

Enough with the novel, pics or it never happened. Please excuse the pictures too, I was in a hurry and these girls only wanted to flop around like a pack of drunk broads so I had to hold them up.

:groupwave: Excellent update wdi. I really do appreciate these kinds of updates. It's important, I think, to take a step back from the project, zoom out, and re-evaluate from the 10,000-foot level.

It's easy to go "This variety sucked" and "Shoulda topped that one," but I think the real education/growth comes from thinking critically about the run as a whole - not just each plant, but the room as a whole, each component of the room, is ventilation adequate, are temps/environment okay, light leaks, etc..

:good:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Thanks silver :yes: I'm already at 9,000 feet but I know what you're getting at. Step back and look at it from 19,000 feet? :tiphat: