What's new

Whos getting ready for 2012 Veggie Season :-D !!!

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Love the board method Tom Hill. Keeps compaction down right? Awesome looking garden and hope your harvest are nutritious and bountiful.

Nader

Veteran
Yeah, the stupid cold nights here in coastal BC is what makes non-greenhouse tomatoes take at least 50% more days to ripen than the package claims.

I agree with the plastic mulch sucking, but I do want to try red plastic mulch and see if it actually significantly increases ripening time.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Planted 2 strawberry plants, a Jalapeno, Yellow bell pepper, and an early girl tomato yesterday. Just getting started.

supermanlives

Veteran
lots of sunflower seeds planted. more greenbean seeds too. eveywhere i can fit a plant i am gonna. lots of container plants. i was hoping the rooftop garden would be ready but funds are low at the moment.

F

Fastcast

I might drill some holes in the kiddie pool,and through some dirt in it.Then try some teepee trellis.I'm just a little concerned about the depth of it.I wish I could put some other plants in there also,but you know how it goes?Can't say enough about the Black krim I just finished.I actually cut them back about a third,and there comming back real good now.Making some pickles soon.I just hope the krim finish before it gets to hot.

Nader,

Ya I have red that about toms....the reflecting RED spectrum from below them
is said to decrease the ripening time. Never did any research on it yet....but
something id rather do instead of putting plastic down.. is to mulch in some
mycelium from mushrooms that mature with RED CAPS... ;-) know what I mean. heheh

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
just purchased 4 tabletop greenhouses.. each holds 60 plugs.. just fill 3 of em with peppers, incl 12 ghosts, a dozen diff types of heirloom tomatoes, eggplants, and an assortment of others veggiers/herbs..

prob a couple/few weeks early for some of em, but i'll transplant into larger containers when needed...

put em in a sunny south window, along with a 6bulb/48'' t5 fluor. grow light...

one question.... should i leave the lights on 24hrs?? and then back off to 18hrs when they break ground?

supherbb

Just planted a dozen Thai chili seeds after picking up a bunch of stuff at the flower show this year. This will be my first veggie garden, shaping up to be tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, eggplant. I have lemon cucumbers and Rosa Bianca eggplant. Habanero and thai chili peppers. And tomatoes I think I'm gonna go for brandywines and cherry, we use the cherries all the time in our favorite Pasta Primavera recipe.

B

bonecarver_OG

:) cherry tomatoes can become really annoying to harvest :) - imho cherry tomatoes are overlly productive and can in peak season produce several pounds each few days, atleast here. :D

we had a nightmare with the cherry tomatoes.. - we finally ended up cooking it down to concentrate and freezing it :D i grew them 2 years ago and i still got concentrate in the freezer!

supherbb

Ok, so note to self...Keep plant count for cherry tomatoes low. Thanks bonecarver! I like Pasta Primavera and all, but not enough to make it the only meal I ever eat again!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
cherry's do produce ...alot... i had 3 growing last year in topsy turveys..we were giving baskets away just about every day in the mid summer... but they sure are tastey...

Proper

I got a ton of veggies started indoors under CFLs. In this garden I have Dracaena, Schefflera, Pilea, Hypoestes, Aloe, Coffee Plant, Grand Bell Peppers, Jalopeno Peppers, Beefsteak Tomatoes, Cherry Tomatoes, Chives, Garlic Chives, and Scallions

picture.php

picture.php

Other houseplants I have are Peace Lily, Yucca Cane, Pythos, and a few others.

B

bonecarver_OG

cherry's do produce ...alot... i had 3 growing last year in topsy turveys..we were giving baskets away just about every day in the mid summer... but they sure are tastey...

hehe same here! i think finally the neighbours didnt even want them hehe :D

supherbb

Those Black Krim looks awesome, and the reviews I've read on the flavor have me convinced to grow them. They look like they'd make a great sandwich topper.

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
has anyone grown romanesco broccoli/cauliflower whatever it is? any tips?

F

Fastcast

Those Black Krim looks awesome, and the reviews I've read on the flavor have me convinced to grow them. They look like they'd make a great sandwich topper.

They taste unreal!!!!!!!!!I have thirteen of them going right now,and you can bet they will be around my yard for awhile.Purple,green,and pink colors on these to,so they look real cool also.They did very well for me in containers,more then I would of ever thought.
icon4.gif
icon14.gif
icon10.gif