What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whos getting ready for 2012 Veggie Season :-D !!!

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
100+ chile pepper seedlings, 12 overwintered chiles, 100+ tomatoes (72 are for sale though, keeping 2 dozen) sunset runner beans growing so far

and some flowers (giant sunflower, zinnia, gaillardia)

go big or go home !!! :respect:

Bullfrog44

Veteran
sunflowern.jpg

12 Foot sunflowers every year anyone ?? :-D

Every year I surround my garden with Mammoth Sunflowers, all grow
easily 10+ feet, my record is 12' 4" :-D

No staking necessary either

Those are a thing of beauty! What strain or variety are those sunflowers? Last year I tried to grow two, but they got dwarfed by my cannabis plants and died off.

BTW - are you flexing in that picture you stud you, lol.

supermanlives

Veteran
tomatos from last year are kicking in. did some pruning and staking and ended up with 2 five foot plants.planted more snow peas,beans ,mesclun lettuce.crook neck squash.transplanted last 2 hot pepper plants from last year. all hot peppers survived . green bell peppers didnt overwinter. sunflowers dont grow huge for me. but it might be the birdseed it comes from

I baby all of my plants
My sun flowers are all planted for beauty and pollination, attracting bees and keeping them around. I have always saved me seeds, these are 5 year generation sun flowers.
Started from a package of MAMMOTH SUNFLOWER seeds. Those pictured are from last year, 2011, and there heads where 1/4 the size of the heads in 2010 lol... 2010's tallest one was only 11'9" though.

Each year I plant roughly 600 sunflowers and thin them back to about 200-250 :-D
LOTS of bird seed for the winter time :-D Gotta keep the local birdies happy and around town so they take care of my bugs in the summer time :-D Plus the bird baths keep them cool.

:-D Cheers my friends.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Saving seeds is the best insurance policy period. All gardeners/farmers should do it every harvest, every year.

To the person who asked about non-GMO seed companies to purchase from, I highly suggest Livingston Seed Company out of Columbus, Ohio:

http://livingstonseed.info/

-Funk

GP73LPC

Veteran
getting ready ???

half my greenhouse is already doing it's thing... it was 91°F in the greenhouse yesterday. might need to build a passive intake ;)

picture.php

F

Fastcast

Just planted some pepper starts,75 day.Can't remember the kind.So I got 12 tomato plants,two varieties,and four pepper plants going.It always seems like it's never enough!I got four black krim left on the counter from my last crop,I think I'll eat those today.I envy those with a greenhouse.^^^^!

GP73LPC

Veteran
good luck fastcast !!!

my greenhouse really provides a protected environment...

Livingston Seed Company
is a good place, but boy does there website suck asshole.. excuse my language but meh
i hate website like that lol... I wanna see the seeds and the fruit from it :-D

GP73LPC,
Nice start ya got there :-D You got like 3 months on me hahahah
I wont be able to plant outside till end of May...

But I did start some peppers already, going to have them get monster and most
likely take clones from them ;-) should be a nice jump start on my
pepper population.

Just order any seeds that i was in need of yesterday, including my onions...gotta get
those babies in with the quickness, hopefully I get the seeds next week before
the next moon phase.. ;-)

GP73LPC

Veteran
very cool il19z8rn4li1,

when your garden in thriving in July my greenhouse will mostly likely be bare and about 120-130°F. :toohot:

then i will thrive again in september. i think i can do the cool weather plants year round ;) broccoli for sure ;)

supermanlives

Veteran
just done some weeding. out in shorts and tank top .dialed in drip setup. got a few small leaks.planted some sunflower seeds.making brownies for the big 3 auto show.

ronbo51

Veteran
Well, the wind is screaming here in the mid Appalachians. A cold front came through and blasted all that wonderful warm air outta here. Thursday's high 60's are now wind and flurries. But....the low tunnels I set up are still standing and are full of lettuce and spinach and brassica greens that I started under the ole shoplight. Now peppers and maters fill the bench where they will sit for a month at least before I start to ease them outside sometime in mid-late April. I started the usual heirlooms and some sweet Hungarian peppers along with a tomato named "Glacier", a 50 day variety that I use to get the season going. Last year I got my first ripe tomato on June 15 and I plan on beating that this year. I am going to use a trick from the large plants outdoors thread and use Hortinova for plant support for the determinate tomatoes and the peppers. I always get branches breaking on my peppers late when they get loaded up with fruit so the Hortinova will hopefully change that. I have another tunnel ready for broccoli, cabbage, and onion starts that will go in as soon as the wind dies down in a couple days. When it gets warmer I will pull the tufflight plastic off the tunnels and replace with Agribon to keep the bugs out and keep things warm as the weather warms up. Anyone else use floating row covers?? I always wanted to do a row of autos under the Agribon real early. If I wasn't in the middle of a town I would. I know it would work. I wish i did pics, my garden is already rockin and its way early. I am totally pumped for outdoor gardening. I lived in Maine for a long time so getting on the dirt early is in my blood. Good luck everyone.

ronbo51

Veteran
Hey superman. Floating row covers are the bomb. If I didn't use them the flea beetles would destroy any brassicas and greens, including beets and radishes, and the early dessicating winds are kept off the tender stuff. I am going to try to keep my cukes under the covers til I harvest. I have cukes that don't need pollinating so it should work. I usually spray pyrethrin to get cucumber beetles, but if you miss a few days they really dig in and become a problem, especially since they spread wilt. By the time I get the tomato trellis up and running I will have run through several successions of root crops and greens. Also this year I am underplanting the tomatoes with clover as a living mulch. We"ll see what that does.

Kushed_

Just started germinating 50 seeds today. Squash, tomatoes, peppers, beans, and peas. Will be germinating more this week. All are non-hybrid. I will be getting my greenhouse up soon, can't wait to get growing!!

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Caught the produce man at the grocery store yesterday as he was taking the old produce towards the back of the store. Asked if I could buy the old stuff for my composter and he just gave me enough to nearly fill my 55 gallon drum tumbler. Added a bit of old hay I had here, wet it down a bit, gave it a couple of spins and off we go.

GP73LPC

Veteran
Caught the produce man at the grocery store yesterday as he was taking the old produce towards the back of the store. Asked if I could buy the old stuff for my composter and he just gave me enough to nearly fill my 55 gallon drum tumbler. Added a bit of old hay I had here, wet it down a bit, gave it a couple of spins and off we go.

i wanna build 1-2 of those soon... thanks for the reminder.. :tiphat: