What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who's for Euthanasing Themselves?

T

Teddybrae

We're getting on a bit, the Missus and I ... and we wonder what our Death will be like. We're certainly not hanging on in quiet desperation as Pink Floyd put it. Rather, our lives are vital and interesting. But we do wonder what is ahead for us seeing as we have no cancer and our hearts are fine.

Lately in this wonderful land of Oz ( "I love our plundered country, a Land of Corporate gain") there has been a move to legalise Euthanasia. So, always up to date with the important news, the Missus has come up with the idea of having a pre-funeral 'Euthansia Party' and having all the relations come to watch us take The Pill.

I wonder, what do you think of her idea? (Be nice now. You'd enjoy being in her company if you could.)

I wood

Great idea, make it a celebration instead of a sad affair.
I like the idea for myself someday as well but the wife is horrified by my thinking on this.
One dmt trip and death was no longer scary but something i look forward to. No hurry to get there but happy to go one day.

CaptainDankness

That sounds pretty fucking nuts. I would probably want to be put down quickly if I was suffering too much though, not really a party, can't have a good time if you're that bad.

I'd prefer to do the partying before I'm bed ridden in a hospital, though I'd probably kill my self doing some crazy shit before the cancer.

Talking Australia, shit I'd be jumping on crocks like Steve Irwin crazy shit. Lol

M

moose eater

Dr. Kevorkian often witnessed his patients gathering with family for their final Earthly process. Unless you don't like your relatives, in which case, tell them not to visit that day, and invite the people you actually care for Or celebrate with yourselves.

An Irish wake, in my opinion, is for the folks who remain alive, to celebrate their experience of the dead, not for the dead, necessarily.

Death's suffering or void is more felt by the living. For the dead, for some, it is the end of a metaphorical long, sometimes rugged or tedious hike, where, at times, there've been too few streams, and not enough fish on the lines. (as I told a friend in the Yukon the other evening, whose brother had just passed).

As far as the concept, I believe strongly that self-determination in life is key, or you're not free. Abolition ended slavery in the States, or so I'm told, so my body belongs to no one else; it's a sole-proprietorship (or maybe a soul-proprietorship ?), and I have no obligations to another's value system, religion-based or otherwise, to cause me to linger on past my perception of what is tolerable.

But it's a serious decision that should be done with clarity. No real room for , "Oops, maybe I shouldn't have done that..."

Aside from that, it's an opportunity to leave a last comment of care to those you love, or to those you intend to tell to go fuck themselves, with no recourse on their part to reply to you in person. How cool is that?! ;^>)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I went to 2 of these last year. We call them "Celebration of Life" parties.

One guy had cancer and the other had Hep. It was cool for most people. Saying goodbye to Larry was cool for me. I told him, none of us life forever. In the blink of an eye, we'll all be there. And, for him to save me a place on stage when he gets there (we were in a band together). Overall, both were very 'up' parties [considering]. He died a few weeks later.

The cancer guy ended up living for another fucking year. LOL. Kind of blew the party concept while everyone sat around tapping fingers and waiting for him to die. LOL We were going to have another party on the 1 year anniversary but he died a few days short.

Death should be a glorious celebration and not a time of mourning a weeping.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
We're getting on a bit, the Missus and I ... and we wonder what our Death will be like. We're certainly not hanging on in quiet desperation as Pink Floyd put it. Rather, our lives are vital and interesting. But we do wonder what is ahead for us seeing as we have no cancer and our hearts are fine.

Lately in this wonderful land of Oz ( "I love our plundered country, a Land of Corporate gain") there has been a move to legalise Euthanasia. So, always up to date with the important news, the Missus has come up with the idea of having a pre-funeral 'Euthansia Party' and having all the relations come to watch us take The Pill.

I wonder, what do you think of her idea? (Be nice now. You'd enjoy being in her company if you could.)

No Cancer,no heart problems,and this is what you're thinking of.Enjoy life,be thankful for the good health you,and your missus share.

Stay away from the Jim Jones koolaid !!!
Good Luck to you guys

RB56

Veteran
Dementia can always have a say. Some say in a party being appropriate. A huge say in whether self euthanasia is even an option - you have to make the move early enough to be able to do it, remember it is an option and care.

M

moose eater

No Cancer,no heart problems,and this is what you're thinking of.Enjoy life,be thankful for the good health you,and your missus share.

Stay away from the Jim Jones koolaid !!!
Good Luck to you guys

I think that even with no heart problems or cancer, the body can get to a point that daily living becomes difficult.

Many now are kept alive with very poor quality of life.

Once upon a time folks referred to pneumonia in such times as 'the old man's friend.'

Watched a former legislator and activist live beyond his body's ability to function well unassisted; mostly confined to a wheel-chair, his head drooped onto his chest, spittle constantly dribbling from his chin, scant cognition in re. to his surroundings/visitors, etc., and a nurse on hourly wage feeding him mush and oatmeal, then on to the next patient.

If that were his choice, then I'd say "Go for it." but I don't know that it was.

We had an old dog we loved dearly. She was nuts, but many an idiosyncrasy that endeared her to us. One day we found her on the front porch, unable to right herself. I took my 2 older kids to the shelter, with the pup wrapped in an old familiar blanket with smells of home, and we asked to attend her injection of the blue liquid. We petted her while they hooked her up, and stayed with her.

My kids were in their early adolescence, and I told them that while we were indeed ending her life, we were doing this out of love, and that if they ever found me in such a condition, I hoped they would hook me up to the blue liquid, too.

My kids understood, and the woman doing the injection, who I think had done more of these than she was comfortable with, quietly wept through the final phase, then exited without disruption, and left us with our friend.

JonathanT

I'm against suicide but at the same time I have a lot of suicidal thoughts. Disabled at 32. Now 40 and in pain 24/7 physically and mentally. I think if someone really wants out of this dump we call life, why force them to take the effed up way out?

Gry

Veteran
Legal where I live, and I am glad of it.
At this point I like the idea of trying to

stick around a bit longer.

X

xavier7995

I back self determination and free will. Its your body, doesnt harm others, do as you see fit.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
like the scene from the Heston movie "Soylent Green" where he picked out his casket, music etc & said bye-bye. i like the concept. i'm not rich, nor immortal.:biggrin: when/if i see it coming & it looks like it might be drawn out/painful/expensive, i'm not going to put my family through it, nor bankrupt them trying to defeat death. had a friend found out he had Alzheimers like his parents he had watched die. he had a big party the next weekend, cooked out, home-made ice cream etc, paid for all his kids to fly in & visit. after the fun was over & everyone had left, he went & sat on his back porch watching the fireflies etc & shot himself. some say suicide is cowardice, some think it takes a brave person to say "well, this is fucked up" and do something about the situation...:tiphat:

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dr. Kevorkian was a saint in my opinion and it is outrageous this is not available to us legally.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
where is it legal in the US?

not sure about that. i DO know that years ago in England, that if you tried to commit suicide & were found guilty of it, they would hang you. "that'll teach you, you scum! we don't LIKE people to kill THEMSELVES...":biggrin:

M

moose eater

I believe it's legal in Oregon, or was, and may be in California.

I know it's morally 'legal' in my mind, and that's what matters most to me, as I rarely ask the government about personal matters... unless I know I'm apt to encounter them during what ever mission I'm contemplating, in which case pretending to dot i's and cross t's can be one method of successfully getting to the goal line. ;^>)

M

moose eater

not sure about that. i DO know that years ago in England, that if you tried to commit suicide & were found guilty of it, they would hang you. "that'll teach you, you scum! we don't LIKE people to kill THEMSELVES...":biggrin:

I know of some cases years ago of persons who were charged and found guilty of helping their friend end his life.

Imposition of religious values through legislation.

Not enough that you're heart-broken about helping your buddy, we're going to persecute you for breaking your own heart in order to help your friend with their last mission and request..

Latest posts

Latest posts