What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who wants to speculate what commercial growing will look like in 2013/'14?

MPL

Ignoring the feds, I for one hope it very closely follows the alcohol model, with the same licensing fees and restrictions.

I can't wait to see what recommendations Hickenlooper gets from his panel.

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
Just how much would you be charging per unit...whatever that is? And you can do it for less than I can?

MPL

I'm not talking about a garage grow. It takes an army of people to regulate an industry, and that's usually paid for, at least partially, by the people who do business within that industry. I'm just wondering what commercial regulations are going to look like. Since I'm impatient I thought it'd be fun to speculate as to what people think might happen.

Wow..because I don't think it should cost that much

MPL

Since we have no idea what it's going to cost to get a fully legal commercial grow started asking me what I am going to charge per unit is a pointless exercise.

I have no idea if I can do it for less than you because I don't know the first thing about you or your setup.

That said, like most business people, I'll charge what the market can bear.

Just how much would you be charging per unit...whatever that is? And you can do it for less than I can?

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
But still, if someone can do it themselves for less, then they will. Not trying to be a dick..this is interesting

MPL

I didn't think you were at all. I just wasn't sure where you were going with your questions.

But still, if someone can do it themselves for less, then they will. Not trying to be a dick..this is interesting

I looked up licensing fees and whatnot on the CO website. So the closest type of license I have found so far that would seem comparable to what I suspect lots of folks would want to do is called a Brew Pub License.

Brew Pub License: Allows sale and consumption on premises of malt, vinous and spirituous liquors, and permits the manufacture of malt liquor on the licensed premises. Malt liquor which is manufactured on licensed premises may be sold for consumption on the premises, sold to an independent wholesaler for distribution to other licensed retailers, or sold to the public in properly labeled sealed containers "to go."

It is $75 to the local government and $750 to the state. That's a lot less than I expected.

I am trying to find what type of licensing companies like Coors or Anheuser Busch fall under but no luck so far.

My biggest fear is they will artificially limit the number of commercials allowed in the state and most people will get shut out of this area of commerce.

My second biggest fear is they'll tack massive fees onto the opening of such a facility (in Oakland when I lived near there it was $50k) and price small-business people out. That would just leave RJR and other similar horrible companies in a position to do business in that capacity, which would be bad for everyone.

LubdaNugs

Veteran
People can brew their own beer, but most don't. I think people are generally lazy, being lazy they tend to like having things done for them. I think most folks will be perfectly happy to buy weed rather than grow their own.

MPL

QFT

People can brew their own beer, but most don't. I think people are generally lazy, being lazy they tend to like having things done for them. I think most folks will be perfectly happy to buy weed rather than grow their own.

To take your statement one step further:

Even those that have enough drive to brew their own beer usually end up brewing crappy beer because they're too lazy to pay attention to the fine details that ultimately create a fine product.

MPL

So you think Colorado is going to only allow processing of cannabis into liquid or pill form, and that smokable/vaporizable flowers won't be available?

you will end up selling it as an extract most likely liquid or pill form if it becomes rx

I'm referring to the recreational drug market, not the rx/medical market.

LubdaNugs

Veteran
QFT

To take your statement one step further:

Even those that have enough drive to brew their own beer usually end up brewing crappy beer because they're too lazy to pay attention to the fine details that ultimately create a fine product.
Just like brewing lots of people will be too frustrated by early failures and will give up.

idiit

Veteran
i forsee outdoor grows not being harassed the way they are now in most states. people living on a little bit of land will start growing a patch for extra money. instead of seeing little roadside stands with just homegrown veggies there will be dirt cheap od grown buds available everywhere; roadside stands, flea markets, head shops, etc.

all of the seedbank weed originated from outdoor strains as there were no indoor strains not so long ago. proper hybrids of outdoor strains that have decent bag appeal, excellent potency and high effects, and decent yields will become developed.

right now the indoor growers have a plethora of strains to run but outdoor commercial strains as still in their infancy per my view.

even if weed (good bud) goes down to $60/oz. that comes out to $1,000/lb. there are a lot of ma and pa kettles's living on next to nothing trying to make a little extra money selling vegetables for a couple of $/lb. $1,000/lb will light some fires.

the threads on soapbar hash over in europe vividly depict how price conscious the average commercial customer is. the outdoor grown buds don't have the overhead$ that indoor grows need to figure into their pricing. handrubing outdoor buds with a small amount of time with scissors will eliminate trimming costs to a great extent.

outdoor grown buds selling at dirt cheap prices seems to me to be an inevitable consequence of leo backing off cannabis mfg.

monsoon

If you read the law you will see that the first licenses will go to the Medical folks who are already operating retail stores. The reasoning is that these people are already set up and in place and the towns that have allowed medical sales will more than likely allow recreational sales as well. The general thought here is that there's no reason to issue licenses in towns/counties where bans are already in place.

My guess is that these are the ONLY licenses that will be issued in the interim/beginning. It definitely isn't going to be open to >anyone< with a closet grow who thinks they have the dank. This will be like the med thing, limited, then monopolized. It won't be like opening a liquor store

And WOW...if it happens..the FEDS are gonna be all over these growers. One slip, and you'll be in Canon City w/ a new boyfriend...

We don't need these stores or the taxes or the Gov't in our deals. We can take care of it ourselves, as we have always done.

MPL

You make some good points. I've been wondering if AAA indoor would command enough of a price premium over good quality, mass produced outdoor to cover the cost of producing the indoor. We might see only hobby growers able to justify the expense of indoor once a fully commercial market develops and matures.

I was thinking light controlled hydro greenhouses might be the next big thing. Two or three harvests per year in a greenhouse + hydro = win. Off the top of my head the most significant limiting factor, outside of land, is the extremely high initial cost of a suitable commercial quality greenhouse with the ability to control the photoperiod, especially one that can withstand CO weather.

i forsee outdoor grows not being harassed the way they are now in most states. people living on a little bit of land will start growing a patch for extra money. instead of seeing little roadside stands with just homegrown veggies there will be dirt cheap od grown buds available everywhere; roadside stands, flea markets, head shops, etc.

all of the seedbank weed originated from outdoor strains as there were no indoor strains not so long ago. proper hybrids of outdoor strains that have decent bag appeal, excellent potency and high effects, and decent yields will become developed.

right now the indoor growers have a plethora of strains to run but outdoor commercial strains as still in their infancy per my view.

even if weed (good bud) goes down to $60/oz. that comes out to $1,000/lb. there are a lot of ma and pa kettles's living on next to nothing trying to make a little extra money selling vegetables for a couple of $/lb. $1,000/lb will light some fires.

the threads on soapbar hash over in europe vividly depict how price conscious the average commercial customer is. the outdoor grown buds don't have the overhead$ that indoor grows need to figure into their pricing. handrubing outdoor buds with a small amount of time with scissors will eliminate trimming costs to a great extent.

outdoor grown buds selling at dirt cheap prices seems to me to be an inevitable consequence of leo backing off cannabis mfg.

MPL

I agree that probably the initial licensing will be limited, though I hope that in the long run they would not limit it to only the current rx growers.

I totally disagree with your last statement.

If you want a legal, regulated market, it will be taxed. Taxes are inevitable as a result of living in our modern society. If you want to live without taxes and government you need to go to a 3rd world country as that's the closest you'll ever come. Let us know how that goes.

I'm not going to start a political or philosophical discussion; suffice it to say that those whose dream is to live and grow pot with zero government involvement are going to be disappointed by A64, and probably by life in general.

How have pot growers ever "taken care of it themselves"? Before I roflcopter at that statement I want to be sure I understand what you're trying to say.

If you read the law you will see that the first licenses will go to the Medical folks who are already operating retail stores. The reasoning is that these people are already set up and in place and the towns that have allowed medical sales will more than likely allow recreational sales as well. The general thought here is that there's no reason to issue licenses in towns/counties where bans are already in place.

My guess is that these are the ONLY licenses that will be issued in the interim/beginning. It definitely isn't going to be open to >anyone< with a closet grow who thinks they have the dank. This will be like the med thing, limited, then monopolized. It won't be like opening a liquor store

And WOW...if it happens..the FEDS are gonna be all over these growers. One slip, and you'll be in Canon City w/ a new boyfriend...

We don't need these stores or the taxes or the Gov't in our deals. We can take care of it ourselves, as we have always done.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
something like this
1427310-view_of_hydroponics_rgs_machines.jpg

or this

Sunset-Park-Farm.jpeg