What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who Wants to do a Grow Journal?

Skip

Veteran
I'm planning on setting up a system for grow journals. I want to do a test with one of you to setup & debug the system. Hopefully it will just be a special "personal" forum, without too many changes, so it wouldn't be too different from just making posts, but with a few extra options.

So who's ready?

Iron_Lung

Skip,
I will be ready on Wed, the 24th. That's when my digi camera is being delivered.

I would be more than happy to test/debug this for you.

G

guest123

ive just pulled out some trees ,,, .. lol ... and will have to pop some more in once i clear out the damn weeds that have grown , gee they thrive on fertilisers .. the benefits of a personal log grow would be great , will it be viewable by all ??? theres a great time for leafy annuals this week here so id imagine i can start within a week doing a grow for such a purpose , actually i believe i have already planted the seeds , will get a shot in a day or so ...

Skip

Veteran
Well someone suggested filling in a form with lots of fields and variables to be filled in, but I think it's unnecessary as I would program an easy to use search to find whatever you need. So if you wanted to find out about a particular item, it would search all the grow journals instead of just whatever keyword matched a particular field.

So a search on spider mites or even just "mites" would bring up all relevant grows that had that problem (who doesn't?).

But what we would add is perhaps an html editing utility so ppl could do more interesting stuff instead of just text & images.

Also we could have a calendar linked to it maybe, or whatever else you guys suggest to make it more interesting and interactive.

Maybe a grow Q&A where ppl ask questions of the grower.

So imagine a personal forum, perhaps with a few sticky threads at the top. One for images of the grow, another for technical stuff, another for Q&As, and maybe just a general rant thread.

I think what that other person was getting at was enforcing some kind of standards of measurements for what ppl are doing.

So I guess we'd need to come up with an FAQ for the grow journal too so we can expect a minimum of conformity. So that ppl would at least include the same basic info about their grow. But I don't think it's necessary to categorize it all.

We could divide the grow journals by type of course - Indoor, Outdoor, Hydro like. I could also have a separate listing of the active grows so ppl can see the latest posts in order.

I don't think we can expect too much conformity, like say pix every week or whatever, cause you can't force ppl to do specific things.

Anyway, hit me with your suggestions! :)

--Man I wish I had a camera! -Words cant express what gose on in my flower room. -I think journals are a great idea. -The more I think about it its an excelent idea!

Flowerman

I think I'm already doing one in the indoor forum. I do have some more picture from their different ages that could be added. But the full thread is actually over at CW, cause I can post pics that are more than 100kb.

G

i thought about setting up a grow journal thread, to keep track of my first gorw (i am less than 2 weeks in) but at that time i was not sure if i wanted to pollute the board with more of my newbie ramblings... but i think it would be great... i am about to start another grow in a few days, and would be all about beta testing....

G

Skip,

That is a great idea. Check out my gallery and see what I have going. I actually just started a few Indigo & Skunk #1 and 1 shishkaberry to go with my NL#5 & Apollo 11 clones.

I'm just starting the skunk & Indigo indoors and planning on moving them outside when they are big enough. That should be right about the time my others are ready to flower in my grow fridge.

I do growlogs/journals during my grow with pics almost everyday ect. It would be neat to make a place where we could post daily pics of the operation from start to finish no typing inbetween and link it to our grow journal, just for a pictoral review.

Eitherway keep an eye out for the Grow Fridge!

Sharp_Pain

Skip

Veteran
Sharp_Pain said:
Skip,

That is a great idea. Check out my gallery and see what I have going. I actually just started a few Indigo & Skunk #1 and 1 shishkaberry to go with my NL#5 & Apollo 11 clones.

I'm just starting the skunk & Indigo indoors and planning on moving them outside when they are big enough. That should be right about the time my others are ready to flower in my grow fridge.

I do growlogs/journals during my grow with pics almost everyday ect. It would be neat to make a place where we could post daily pics of the operation from start to finish no typing inbetween and link it to our grow journal, just for a pictoral review.

Eitherway keep an eye out for the Grow Fridge!

Sharp_Pain

Good ideas. Perhaps I should setup the journals in the galleries themselves? I really would like to promote the galleries more anyway. They can have many uses. It seems the people from overgrow expect to have the galleries just as some kind of adjunct to the forums, but it has it's own uses and good tools (which I could probably add to).

But I guess linking the two is good as well.

I look foward to checking out your journals & gallery, Sharppain! (ugh, what a name! )

Skip

Veteran
Flowerman said:
I think I'm already doing one in the indoor forum. I do have some more picture from their different ages that could be added. But the full thread is actually over at CW, cause I can post pics that are more than 100kb.

Flowerman, are you saying you can't post pix larger than 100K here? I have it set for 250K, so you shouldn't have a prob with that size at all. It should also be resizing large images on upload. I'll be working on the galleries tomorrow.

G

Skip,

I think adding the grow journal to the galleries is a brilliant idea. That way step by step we can track grows and not be inturrupted by posts and jibba-jabba (i took that from Mr.T)

I also have had alot of problems uploading pics. I have to set my camera to the lowest resolution and then the pics come out shitty.

anyway your doing a great job here skip, I think I speak for all when I say Thank You for giving us a place to call home.

Sharp_Pain

Flowerman

Skip, I can upload pics to 250kb, but when I try to post them in the indoor section, it say to large, must down size to 100kb.

Skip

Veteran
You should never have to lower the resolution of your camera. Make every shot your best one. But do resize the images for publication on the net. You could also put a little copyright notice (esp. if they're really good). I'll post up an whole FAQ on image posting.

Since most people on this site have a lot of great pix to post, it's good to know how to deal with them.

Cropping then resizing images are the two most common functions you can do with software, but you could also adjust the exposure (brighten-darken), change the coloration (nice for indoor grows), sharpen, and do much more. You can even do batch tasks (like resizing) on groups of images at once.

There's no doubt you can get carried away, and it's a lot of fun, but also a lot of work and time consuming.

One thing that keeps cropping up is the EXIF info that most new high end cameras add to your images. These must be removed, otherwise images take up twice the space on the server as necessary. I think that is one reason why certain people are having this problem uploading images. EXIF makes your images too big, so remove it from your uploads.

To tell you the truth, the gallery software we have IS supposed to do much of this, but seems to be buggy. I'll be checking it out soon.

Got my White Widows 5 days into flower. Ready whenever you are. Will be cutting clones for next grow on apr 4/3. "I do evryting , baby".

Already got a few pic uploaded but would like to keep them organized in a journal thread.

Last edited:

Skip

Veteran
Flowerman said:
Skip, I can upload pics to 250kb, but when I try to post them in the indoor section, it say to large, must down size to 100kb.

Flowerman, If you use our "Add Photo to Post" link it will automatically choose a medium resolution for your post. If you prefer to make the larger image available, just use the combo link (small image with link to large image).

-Skip

HOT CARGO

The Best Is Yet To Come
Veteran
this will be a lot of fun.

i will have 3 to 4 different grow journals at one time so i hope to show them together and the differences in there grows.hope this will work out good for me.

o yea Skip i got a question

what's up with the photo limit in the gallery. i want to post more pics but im out of space. can i get more space or this is all i can get?

peace

HC

Pactivist

Great idea!

Great idea!

Hey Skip, I think grow journals would be a fine addition to ICMag, I'll be ready pretty soon to post a grow journal of some "Mountain Berry" my cross of K2 male and a Blueberry fem. so when are ya starting them?

Latest posts

Latest posts