What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WHO HAS THE OLDEST CANNABIS SEEDS?

A

Alone

These are not my pics.
Just the strain I got in seed form from the guys who grew these.
Ive waited 25 years to smoke this again and I cant wait!

Tom Hill

Veteran
I feel like it was a thread about the Russians resurrecting plant from viable cells in the Siberian permafrost fruit, but we danced around it good and plenty. I'll be keeping my seed that do not sprout, but thank you kindly anyway. ;)

B

bocil

The seeds I have are older than 2002 , gift Shantibaba are : Mango X Widow , Afghan X Haze and SSH, in a couple of months, start to germinate.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have limited experience with old seeds, but a couple of years ago I stumbled across a small tea tin, in which I saved bag seeds from the late 60's and early 70's. The tin was in my basement, which stays relatively cool.

I put two Ti stick seeds in a wet paper towel and they sprouted, so I gave the seeds to an experienced grower who had the space, to grow out some things like Ti stick, Columbia Gold, and Panama Red.

Alas, for some as yet unexplained reason, no other seeds germinated, and so she tossed them. She reported extraordinary efforts, while I simply used a wet paper towel, so I am left at a loss to explain.

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
The plant started busting out Purple Buds From the Start, with Real Orange Hairs. First they were Greenish to start. Green Hairs that is. The whole plant has about turned purple. but the buds have been purple since pretty much day one. She is taking longer than a Indica takes. I need to check the Trichomes. Yield is very small. im very excited. :) out of hundreds of genetics i have grown. this is by far, the wildest and weirdest.

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran

Attachments

• 049-100_0545.jpg
    049-100_0545.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 058-100_0554.jpg
    058-100_0554.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 172-100_0668.jpg
    172-100_0668.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 096-100_0592.jpg
    096-100_0592.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_0651.jpg
    100_0651.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 30

PicosPoisonftw!

I feel like it was a thread about the Russians resurrecting plant from viable cells in the Siberian permafrost fruit, but we danced around it good and plenty. I'll be keeping my seed that do not sprout, but thank you kindly anyway. ;)

Where can I read about this? A lot of my old seeds have germinated w/a soak & moist towel, a lot haven't.

PicosPoisonftw!

I have limited experience with old seeds, but a couple of years ago I stumbled across a small tea tin, in which I saved bag seeds from the late 60's and early 70's. The tin was in my basement, which stays relatively cool.

I put two Ti stick seeds in a wet paper towel and they sprouted, so I gave the seeds to an experienced grower who had the space, to grow out some things like Ti stick, Columbia Gold, and Panama Red.

Alas, for some as yet unexplained reason, no other seeds germinated, and so she tossed them. She reported extraordinary efforts, while I simply used a wet paper towel, so I am left at a loss to explain.

This was also the method that worked for me while nothing else has. A soak in cytoplus for 12-24 hrs, and then moist cloth. Recently I've tried paper towel, soil & plugs & can't get rid of fungus. Lost 1 maybe 2 Blue Satellite #1s. :cry:

waveguide

Veteran
Recently I've tried paper towel, soil & plugs & can't get rid of fungus. Lost 1 maybe 2 Blue Satellite #1s. :cry:

i hate repeating myself, but.. the way i germ is in a jar with perlite.. say 1/2" of perlite on the bottom, and pour in 1/4" of water. the seeds sit on top of the perlite so they're not immersed.

you can still get fungus this way but it's easier to control.. eg. by using h2o2. you don't have any problems with pulling the radical out of the paper towel, and perlite is easier to sterilise.

DemonPigeon

Veteran
My mate got a seedling from this old hippy he knows, apparently it's bagseed from £20 of orange bud he smoked 20+ years ago, it was very seedy, he kept a handfull and three came even after all this time, I have to say the plant was amazing, it looked proper strange compared to most strains almost entirely 4 leaflets on the leaves and was very branched and woody, but that is probably partly that it kept getting trimmed so it would fit in his grow space and only had a crappy LED grow light

Maximo

I saw this title and thought I would say I have 1989 Sensi Seeds "Big Bud" and CC cup winner "Green Spirit" from Dutch Passion, thats my oldest seed genetics I have.

Was gifted a decent bag of 15+ year old brick weed. Allegedly stored in a freezer the whole time. The bud is very harsh and weak after all those years but the seeds popped open starting 36 hours after a full water dunk. The rest of the test batch of 15 or so seeds sprouted and grew tap roots at around 85% rate!!

Currently under a weak HPS in a humidity dome, mostly coco so I can't wait! I never thought these seeds would grow and are I am sure one of a kind now a days. It has no Kush, diesel, widow, or white anything in it! Not even Skunk! Very unique if they survive.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
i started seeds that were from the mid 70s i collected red bud and gold bud they were 20 + years old about 40% -50% germed

ozza

Veteran
To be honest I have many different Cannabis seeds that are over 1000 years old, as well as 8 seeds from the Pazyryk Scythian tombs, 2400 years old, from the leather pouch in the grave, given to me by the Hermitage Museum.
I tried to get some of the Chinese 2700 year old seeds, but never did. Even Ethan Russo does not have any, although they did try to sprout some with no luck.
I am interested in really old and dead seeds as well as old but alive. The best way to keep seeds over 20 years is by freezing, although keeping cold in a fridge will last 10+ easy.

What is the oldest anyone has sprouted and grown a plant?
I have many seeds over 20 years under freezing, they all still grow.
I have grown many seeds that were just kept cool for 10 to 20 years and I got just a few to grow normal plants, out of many many.

-SamS

Have you ever got any of these old seeds to grow?

merc500

back around 89' i had some skunk#1 seed from one of the first seed banks in holland. i also had a large bag full of all the Columbian brick weed seed from at least ten years earlier. one of those old seeds germinated (female) and it stuck out like a sore thumb from the skunks. little did i know at the time what i had there and would pay a price for that old columbian landrace again

I have just successfully germinated & am at seedling stage with 4 out of 5 original 26 year old stock from my collection of Super Sativa Seed Club genetics. The strain I have rejuvenated is m-48, South African/Haze.
Feels like a sort of botanical miracle & I am most grateful for this gift from cannabis history.
Grew this wonderful pure sativa cross back in '87-89. It was first-rate smoke, even by today's super plant standards.
I am planning on keeping a journal recording the progress of this special project.I will also post images of the process.
The seed collection has all been kept in normal deep-freeze storage in various sealed, labeled plastic containers. This has worked well for me now for decades. And my seeds have moved many times to new freezers through all those years!
I possess a collection spanning some 40 years, in the hope of preserving many of the old, unspoiled originals & landraces for caring people in the distant future. I laud all who keep, collect and grow old seeds from great pot they've smoked!
One doesn't have to be a pro or breeder to derive great personal satisfaction from experimenting with "those old seeds".
You might be surprised & delighted with the results, and great smoke, that your personal creative efforts give in return!