What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which strains match my outdoor climate?

doctor faust

I'm planning on doing my first grow this year, outdoor autoflowers. I live in a "humid, subtropical climate" in an undisclosed state on the southeastern coast of the USA, about a 1.5/2 hour drive from the Atlantic Ocean. I've been looking at tropical sativas and even used Seedfinder's outdoor climate calculator, but a lot of the strains they suggested were either out of stock or flower too long to get started now. The strains must be humidity/mold/fungus/heat resistant, so no indicas.

I was thinking of Nirvana's "hawaii maui wowie" auto and Elite Seed's "Elite 47" since the regular AK-47 isn't very humidity friendly from what I've read. Can someone give me some recommendations?

St. Phatty

I'm planning on doing my first grow this year, outdoor autoflowers. I live in a "humid, subtropical climate" in an undisclosed state on the southeastern coast of the USA, about a 1.5/2 hour drive from the Atlantic Ocean. I've been looking at tropical sativas and even used Seedfinder's outdoor climate calculator, but a lot of the strains they suggested were either out of stock or flower too long to get started now. The strains must be humidity/mold/fungus/heat resistant, so no indicas.

I was thinking of Nirvana's "hawaii maui wowie" auto and Elite Seed's "Elite 47" since the regular AK-47 isn't very humidity friendly from what I've read. Can someone give me some recommendations?

It's the BIG Indica buds that are most at risk of mold.

I would go ahead and try some Indica's (unless you simply don't like Indica meds). Then simply give them a daily inspection the last 1/3 of the flowering period.

Old Piney

Can't go wrong with Durban Poison if you like sweet sativa .It's mold resistant and easy to grow outside it's really a old school hybrid between Durban South African and SK#1 .Nirvana’s version is good but I recommend giving kwik seed’s 1990 Durban Skunk F1 a whirl. sound like it should be like the stuff I grew back in the 80s .Order it up now kwik seed takes about three weeks to deliver for the UK they take PayPal .If you start around the first week in June you'll be good

doctor faust

Can't go wrong with Durban Poison if you like sweet sativa .It's mold resistant and easy to grow outside it's really a old school hybrid between Durban South African and SK#1 .Nirvana’s version is good but I recommend giving kwik seed’s 1990 Durban Skunk F1 a whirl. sound like it should be like the stuff I grew back in the 80s .Order it up now kwik seed takes about three weeks to deliver for the UK they take PayPal .If you start around the first week in June you'll be good
Ah, so Dutch Passion's Durban Poison is really a skunk hybrid at the end of the day? Thats disappointing but it makes sense

doctor faust

It's the BIG Indica buds that are most at risk of mold.

I would go ahead and try some Indica's (unless you simply don't like Indica meds). Then simply give them a daily inspection the last 1/3 of the flowering period.
I very much enjoy indica, especially for medicinal applications. How big is "BIG" in your opinion? Or any suggestions on indicas that can handle some fairly brutal outdoor subtropical conditions? I might invest in a small greenhouse if that'll help. Also, keep in mind that I am a complete novice grower...

doctor faust

I probably should add that I've been to Laguna Beach, California in August, and the summers where I live on the other side of the country are definitely "worse" as far as how the weather feels, I'm guessing because of the added humidity levels

Old Piney

If you like idica grow them. I'm At 40 degrees north in N.J , pretty much the whole east cost is wet. I've grown plenty of Hindu Kush strains. With a little work you can do it. pinch the plants early so you don't get one main top .keep an eye for the little inchworms during flowering and spay with BT. In my experience they are the main cause of gray mold .you can spay a weak baking soda solution to raise the ph to deter powdery mildew.Grow what you like

Last edited:

TheDarkStorm

Some of kc's might be worth looking at....alot of his stuff Is quite sativa and alot of it bred outdoors in the dutch climate...I think there are a couple of semi autos and autos he has too....his photos would probably do well were you are....his stuff is the only stuff I can think of sativa enough and bred to be tough enough for places like yours....not much out there like that...

XLNordic

the Nordic/Scandinavian outdoor genetics are bred to avoid mold
Maybe some canadian could also do the trick.
This year im doing a seed run of Royal Dane ( danish outdoor strain) and Guerrilla Gold 3 ( canadian outdoor strain) and many others.
im at 54 N and our harvest season is both wet and cold and thus very demanding for certain strains if we want to finish cannabis outdoors

St. Phatty

I very much enjoy indica, especially for medicinal applications. How big is "BIG" in your opinion? Or any suggestions on indicas that can handle some fairly brutal outdoor subtropical conditions? I might invest in a small greenhouse if that'll help. Also, keep in mind that I am a complete novice grower...

I would say "just go for it" and try to have VARIETY.

Plants with small buds have a better chance of surviving mold BUT it's not that simple.

If you have variety you have a better chance of getting some good pot for yourself & your coffee table.