What's new

Which Produces Leafier Flowers?: Spider Farmer or Mars Hydro TS Series?

indagroove

Veteran

indagroove

Veteran
But the chips are from china..is that rite ?...the same ones on the spider farmer...only the spider farmer have the latest version ?
Just seen a few tests to of the ts 3000 vs 550 v2...hhhm people should definitely go an check some of these side by sides out...an then do some comparisons on the efficiency vs cost per watt vs overall cost over the whole grow...some interesting results.

Top bin chips have a higher light output than non top-bin, even if they are the same model chips. 20%+ brighter from top bin chips makes a big difference.

TheDarkStorm

AWESOME!! :woohoo:

Where?
This is the info I'm looking for, especially if they're using the same clones. Same setup, same conditions, same clones, two different lights. What are the flower formation differences? :D

the ones I saw just they did ppfd mapping/spread/depth over the suplierr recomended area then looked at things like the cost an efficiency, spectrum ect..ther are some plant grow side by sides on some of the boards but then a lot of factors come in to play...I did see one..but the guy messed up on one side an got mould and had to cut loads out...so the results can be a bit deciving in a real time actually side by side grow....I think if it can be repeatedly shown over numerous grows that one can out yield the other then I would call that a successful side by side experiment of that type.....but if you can see in real time ppfd mapping/spread /deapth over your chosen area it should give you a fare idea of the actual light rather than a scenario with many other factors....

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Does anyone have the same strain flowering under both SF and Mars Hydro TS lights? I have a Mars Hydro TSW-2000, and am impressed with the HPS style, low-leaf, resinous, terpene rich flowers.

I'm getting the impression the SF spectrum is 'leafier,' but I really need to compare the same clones/grow-method under each light
. On a side note, I also noticed the SF has far-red included and wondered if maturation times were slightly advanced.

Greatly appreciate any input (On Topic!). :tiphat:

Douglas
_________

indagroove

Veteran
Does anyone have the same strain flowering under both SF and Mars Hydro TS lights? I have a Mars Hydro TSW-2000, and am impressed with the HPS style, low-leaf, resinous, terpene rich flowers.

I'm getting the impression the SF spectrum is 'leafier,' but I really need to compare the same clones/grow-method under each light
. On a side note, I also noticed the SF has far-red included and wondered if maturation times were slightly advanced.

Greatly appreciate any input (On Topic!). :tiphat:

Douglas
_________

The far red in the SF seems like a gimmick to me. There isn't enough far red output included. You can see it in their spectrum posted on their site. There are no far red peaks. They are only running less than 2 watts total of far red on the SF4000, when in reality you need closer to 15 watts of far red led for that coverage. Also I think I'd prefer to run far red separate from my main fixture, so that I can control how much far red time each day instead of having it on all day long.

Here's the SF spectrum.. I don't see any far red peak:

SF4000_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Douglas.Curtis

They are only running less than 2 watts total of far red on the SF4000, when in reality you need closer to 15 watts of far red led for that coverage. Also I think I'd prefer to run far red separate from my main fixture, so that I can control how much far red time each day instead of having it on all day long.

This helps, thank you. :) I don't see a far-red peak either. This is a good thing though. Like you, I too want more control over far-red. It definitely makes a difference on flower structure and maturation.

The Far Infra-red (Specifically around 760nm) topic and cannabis revolves around two main points. The first is the 'shade response' effect from far-red during lights on. The second is the use after lights out to speed conversion of flowering hormones. Ibechillin explains this very handily in this post here... Thank you Ibechillin. :tiphat:

Too much far-red during lights on will cause stretchier/fluffier plants and flowers. Using far-red after lights out will allow up to 14/10 lights on, while still harvesting at a very similar flowering time as 12/12. From what I understand, those two extra hours a day translate to quite a big difference at harvest.

That being said, the TS series does not have infra-red chips. I'm in the middle of a few projects at the moment, so it took me a few minutes to realize this while looking at the specs. lol
Mars Hydro Marketing said:
TS Series
Spectrum 660-665nm,3200-4200K,5200-6800K

Their SP series *does* have far-red and it also has UV. UV is another range of discrete spectrum I'd like to play with, separate from any main light I'm using. Still waiting for concrete studies or personal experience first. :)
Mars Hydro Marketing said:
SP Series
Spectrum 380~410nm, 650~660nm, 730~740nm, 3000~3200k, 6000~6500k

So we have:

Mars Hydro TS | 3200K - 4200K | 5200K-6800K | 660-665nm
Spider Farmer | 3000K | 5000K | 660-665nm | 760nm

Based on this information, I'm pretty sure the SF grows leafier flowers. It has a much deeper blue and the additional infra-red. Now I really want to see a clone comparison. lol
:tiphat:

indagroove

Veteran
This helps, thank you. :) I don't see a far-red peak either. This is a good thing though. Like you, I too want more control over far-red. It definitely makes a difference on flower structure and maturation.

The Far Infra-red (Specifically around 760nm) topic and cannabis revolves around two main points. The first is the 'shade response' effect from far-red during lights on. The second is the use after lights out to speed conversion of flowering hormones. Ibechillin explains this very handily in this post here... Thank you Ibechillin. :tiphat:

Too much far-red during lights on will cause stretchier/fluffier plants and flowers. Using far-red after lights out will allow up to 14/10 lights on, while still harvesting at a very similar flowering time as 12/12. From what I understand, those two extra hours a day translate to quite a big difference at harvest.

That being said, the TS series does not have infra-red chips. I'm in the middle of a few projects at the moment, so it took me a few minutes to realize this while looking at the specs. lol

Their SP series *does* have far-red and it also has UV. UV is another range of discrete spectrum I'd like to play with, separate from any main light I'm using. Still waiting for concrete studies or personal experience first. :)

So we have:

Mars Hydro TS | 3200K - 4200K | 5200K-6800K | 660-665nm
Spider Farmer | 3000K | 5000K | 660-665nm | 760nm

Based on this information, I'm pretty sure the SF grows leafier flowers. It has a much deeper blue and the additional infra-red. Now I really want to see a clone comparison. lol
:tiphat:

I'm sure how a plant reacts to different levels of far-red are very strain dependent, and may be highly variable between broad-leafed and thin-leafed varieties.

I don't think there's any question that UV increases potency, but more a question of how much, when, how often, and in what ratios (UVA:UVB). There have been scientific side-by studies showing increased potency with the addition of UV. Dr Bruce Bugbee showed a side-by side in one of his Apogee videos showing that. Also HLG had this post on their IG recently which showed it as well, but I think they would do better with UVB in addition to the UVA: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Fp3f-hJ2p/

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot (40).jpg
    Screenshot (40).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 30

TheDarkStorm

The far red in the SF seems like a gimmick to me. There isn't enough far red output included. You can see it in their spectrum posted on their site. There are no far red peaks. They are only running less than 2 watts total of far red on the SF4000, when in reality you need closer to 15 watts of far red led for that coverage. Also I think I'd prefer to run far red separate from my main fixture, so that I can control how much far red time each day instead of having it on all day long.

View Image

Indagroove can you get a mars ts 3000 and the v2 550 spectrum charts up aswell if possible please..at least then evryone can see an use that comparison information .

TheDarkStorm

I managed to get the hlg one for the v2 550

Attachments

• 550v2par22tent_grande.png
    550v2par22tent_grande.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 28
  • R_Spec_Spectrum.jpg
    R_Spec_Spectrum.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 27

indagroove

Veteran
Indagroove can you get a mars ts 3000 and the v2 550 spectrum charts up aswell if possible please..at least then evryone can see an use that comparison information .

Here is the ts3000 spectrum:

mars_hydro_ts3000_led_grow_light_spectrum-3.jpg

I know you didn't ask for it, but here's the spectrum for what I'm running, HLG's QB96 v2:

EliteSpectrum_f561661f-c2e5-48e7-afa8-e1c56a3348e3_1024x1024.jpg

HLG 550 RSpec v2:

R_Spec_Spectrum_1024x1024.jpg

Here's SF4000 again, so we have them all in the same post:
SF4000_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Douglas.Curtis

I'm sure how a plant reacts to different levels of far-red are very strain dependent, and may be highly variable between broad-leafed and thin-leafed varieties.
Indeed, I look forward to testing this out with a custom far-red chip in one corner of my grows. Very glad the TS doesn't use them. (Edit: Waaaait.. I see the TS-3000 has Far-Red...)

Great charts of mighty Zeus! It's rather interesting to see the subtle differences. This info, combined with side by side photos of the same strains would tell a very nice story. :)

Thanks!