What's new

Which northern lights would you breed with?

Mr.Gahn

you could probably find a better indica parent than NL. The NL genetics are weak after a few generations and tend to dominate the phenotypes when out-crossed.
A pure afghan or kush would do you better-
just my too-cents;)

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
BC Seed Company

The British Columbia Seed Company is the oldest marijuana seed company currently operating in North America. We have been in the business of providing quality cannabis seeds since 1995. More than 30,000 satisfied customers over the past 10 years can attest to the quality of our genetics. When you purchase seeds produced by The BC Seed Co., you can rest assured that you are getting the best bud for your buck. Our dedicated breeders are working constantly to bring you the finest pure strains and hybrids.
Everything is grown under carefully controlled conditions to ensure genetic integrity and seed viability.

yortbogey

Veteran
pixel_trans.gif
Northern Lights # 5
pixel_trans.gif

Indica. Here's the plant to grow for the first time grower. This state of the art hybrid is the result of over 25 years of selected inbreeding. We've bred vigorous growth, high yield, and a supurb high.
A must for growers who prefer short bushy plants. The buds have an exteremely frosted, resinous appearance, and the yield is very good. The odor is very low, but the buds are fruity and full flavored.
Height 2-3 feet
Flowering time 45 to 55 days
Yield up to 125 grams
10 seeds

bartmanuk

that dont prove anything, lol

What is the history of Northern Lights?

Added by: MisterIto Last edited by: Team GrowFAQ Viewed: 460 times Rated by 8 users: 7.33/10

I got familiar with the Northern lights family (originally said to be from the Pacific Northwest) back in the 1980's when Nevil's Seed Bank offered the whole lineup. The original Northern Lights family is genetically diverse.

Northern Lights 1 was a single stalked, compact plant with a moderate Afghani smell. No one offers this classic version at this time. A strong plant and buzz.

Northern Lights 2 was a sturdy, pine tree shaped with a musty and piney odor. Dutch Passion (Oasis) and THSeeds (Closet Queen) currently offer versions.

Northern Lights 2 X 5 from The Seed Bank was very bushy and resinous with a strong juniper berry smell. A truly remarkable hybrid not offered by anyone.

Northern Lights 5 is available from BCSC for $75, a variety Nevil of The Seed Bank said was only available pure as a cutting. It is likely hybridized at one point.

Northern Lights 9 X 5 "disappeared" when Nevil sold his genetics to Sensi Seeds. This is the only original Northern Lights 9 genetics source to my knowledge.

These are the original Northern Lights breeding lines from which today's versions arose. Sensi Seed Bank sells Northern Lights with no number attached. Having access to Nevil's original genetics, my guess is that they crossed an Northern Lights 1 male to their Northern Lights 5 mother and stabilized the results. Northern Lights Special is a hybrid from KC Brains in Holland of Sensi's Northern Lights crossed to a Haze female. Northern Lights 9 was only sold in seed form as a hybrid to the Northern Lights 5 mother plant by Nevil at The Seed Bank during the late 1980's. Sagarmatha receives a lot of their strains delivered to them as a finished product from outside breeders. It is possible that someone produced these seeds. The known fact of a Northern Lights 9 male existing meant purebred seed should have been possible to produce, unless it was a male only strain. Trichome Technologies has a strain named Northern Lights 6, another related family member.
Last modified: 20:27 - Nov 07, 2000
Quicklink: http://overgrow.com/growfaq/29
GrowFAQ © 2000-2004 Overgrow

BM :joint:

S

SourDeezy

Coincidently, just harvested a nl#5 today. Seed was from highgrade-seeds, but the results I got sounded very similar to BCSC. If you want solid bud for a trait, this is the beast to choose. Really puts out for you. That, and very potent kick. I've only smoked the trim while waiting for the bud to cure. Tell you the truth, the trim isn't far from 1 hit weed.

Haha highgrade does have a good nl#5. I have one that smells of wild berrys/roses. The smell is nothing like I have ever smelled before. When it cured it lost its berry smell and changed into more of sweet banana smell. The major thing I don't like about nl5 is how bland the taste is. It definately will increase yield to whatever its breed to. I also had a pheno smell like earthy cigars but that was more of the sativa side. All the highs were the same. It has a 5-10 min head rush followed by a 2-3 hour all over dreamy state buzz that seems to last forever.

yortbogey

Veteran
yeah neville got the whole line UP from a guy named indianjoe........out side of seattle...Nysqually valley area i beilieve........
indianjoe did ALL the initial breeding by numbering he'z plant 1 thru what ever.......the NOW famous cut #........NL#1.....NL#5.....NL#9.......
so it was a PNW original........and beilieve me when I tell U the genetics went north WAY before they went over the opond w/ neville for a purchased price..............

AS it iz.......TO much schit has changed over the yearz @ Sensi.....hell drokers is retired it'z being manhandeled by he'z son or sum schit......
i.e the influx of Sensi fems..........
persoanlly.....Sensi lost there edge a long time ago.....just old burnt out genetic'z.....being raised in a mass produced bean breeding compound.......
way to corporate........and one directional......like GHS..........
hell why did neville leave..............:joint:

igrowone

Veteran
Haha highgrade does have a good nl#5. I have one that smells of wild berrys/roses. The smell is nothing like I have ever smelled before. When it cured it lost its berry smell and changed into more of sweet banana smell. The major thing I don't like about nl5 is how bland the taste is. It definately will increase yield to whatever its breed to. I also had a pheno smell like earthy cigars but that was more of the sativa side. All the highs were the same. It has a 5-10 min head rush followed by a 2-3 hour all over dreamy state buzz that seems to last forever.

the pheno i've got curing has the intense pine smell, so 1 more aroma for the highgrade
but the buzz you describe is dead on, just seems to last and last, puts you up on a plateau and keeps you there

Z

Zoolander

I used Reeferman's NL to cross to the Chem D cut and I think it will be pretty nice

S

SourDeezy

the pheno i've got curing has the intense pine smell, so 1 more aroma for the highgrade
but the buzz you describe is dead on, just seems to last and last, puts you up on a plateau and keeps you there

NL5
day 60
pure indica berry pheno

05-05-09_1313.jpg

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
P-91 is the only NL cut I would use to breed with. Very stable and everything I look for in NL is there.

I would love to know more about this P-91, Rainman.

I heard before, just kind of in a passing "conversation", that P-91 was supposedly a new government worked strain, that was supposed to be the equivalent of a modern day G-13. (not genetic wise, but rather, in the sense it is the new "best" the government could do)

Anway, would love to get some accurate and reliable information on it, if you don't mind sharing!

dank.Frank

igrowone

Veteran
If NL5 was exhausted into the walls would it reek up the house?

i didn't exhaust into the walls, exhausted out into the grow area
smell was next to zero, used no odor control
i was ready to slap the carbon filter on, but the smell just didn't get to the point where i was uncomfortable
there was a little odor at the end of the veg stage, but as it went into flower the smell went down, go figure

yortbogey

Veteran
I used Reeferman's NL to cross to the Chem D cut and I think it will be pretty nice

ZOO....those sound VERY nice......Gi've aheadzUP when there ready I'd LUV to get sum and run them ASAP........I have thang for NL crosses......

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would love to know more about this P-91, Rainman.

I heard before, just kind of in a passing "conversation", that P-91 was supposedly a new government worked strain, that was supposed to be the equivalent of a modern day G-13. (not genetic wise, but rather, in the sense it is the new "best" the government could do)

Anway, would love to get some accurate and reliable information on it, if you don't mind sharing!

dank.Frank

Ok so im going to answer a quote with a quote hope subrob doesnt mind he has the P-91...

the latest on p91, from a bro who knows the original poway boys is that silver pearl was used to cross to the p91, rather than the widely circulated story that it was a cubed version of NL. which makes perfect sense to me, because of the way she grows....

San Diego Poway '91 (aka P91) - APE
SVC_APESDP91.jpg
IMG_2561.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hi-jack the thread just wanted to point this out...subrob and jeffspicoli have grown the P-91 so they would be the best people to ask about it...

bartmanuk

yeah neville got the whole line UP from a guy named indianjoe........out side of seattle...Nysqually valley area i beilieve........
indianjoe did ALL the initial breeding by numbering he'z plant 1 thru what ever.......the NOW famous cut #........NL#1.....NL#5.....NL#9.......
so it was a PNW original........and beilieve me when I tell U the genetics went north WAY before they went over the opond w/ neville for a purchased price..............

AS it iz.......TO much schit has changed over the yearz @ Sensi.....hell drokers is retired it'z being manhandeled by he'z son or sum schit......
i.e the influx of Sensi fems..........
persoanlly.....Sensi lost there edge a long time ago.....just old burnt out genetic'z.....being raised in a mass produced bean breeding compound.......
way to corporate........and one directional......like GHS..........
hell why did neville leave..............:joint:

nice one yortbogey,
i had heard the indianjoe story before, but didnt realise the nl genetics went allover before neville got them, i thought he was responsable for sending it all over, lol, learn something new every day as they say.
so do you know what was used to make nl? is it true that each numbered plant was different, but from the same parents? would really like to know more now you have enlightened me this much, lol. especially if its pure indica, or whether it has any sativa in it.

also mate, what does PNW mean?

cheers
BM :joint:

yortbogey

Veteran
pacific north west.......
the plants where all from the same parental stock.......
mostly afgany....and sum.....other mostly older landrace mexi genetics.....and thai.....
this is from what i remeber.....I know sum guys in Nysqually valley that ran in that circle back in the 80's......i got a msg out to them for some clarificationz.......

here is sum more info...........
Northern Lights Strains

Origins of Northern Lights
? Northern Lights is a stabilized Cannabis sativa crossed cannabis Afghani hybrid variety developed in the late 1970's near Seattle, Washington. The northwest of America was the center of indoor sinsemilla (from the Spanish meaning " without seeds" , this begins the female clone technique that is commonplace technique now ) production and cannabis breeding. Due to the poor weather associated with this region, sinsemilla cultivators have long resorted to growing cannabis inside under lights long before growers in other more temperate regions of North America. Northern Lights has been highly regarded for many years throughout the northwest and was multiplied and distributed by Dutch Seed companies, starting with Nevil's Seed Bank then Sensi Seed and S.C.C.C.
The variety was inbred and selected for short early maturing plants with large floral clusters and resembles its cannabis afghanica parentage most closely. Northern Lights has been preserved much as it originally was through inbreeding without any marked improvements other than hybridization with other established varieties. Northern Lights is a dark green, fairly short variety with leafy but very resinous floral clusters and requires 8-10 weeks of a 12 hour photoperiod to mature completely. Conspicuous about Northern Lights is it has little smell.? -High Times ?Cultivation Tips?

"Northern Lights came from the Seattle area, but I am convinced that the initial genetics came from California. Back in the late 60's and early 70's the principle sources of pot on the West Coast was Mexican, with some occasional Thai Stick and Nam weed thrown in for good measure. The Thai and Nam weed kicked the Mexican's butt, and the entry of Colombian into the market out here in say, oh, 1972 (first I saw) made us all disenchanted with Mexican. I remember Christmas of 1972 some friends brought up 100 or so pounds from SD and couldn't sell it for anything! No one wanted to smoke the crap. I took off for the holidays and came back to find them still squatting in the house trying to move the dope, when they had planned on spending a monied Christmas in the sun. They looked whipped!
Up to that time there was no real point in growing Mex. Oh sure, some tried, I had friends doing it all the time, but you know what they got. I grew two 8 footers in a closet in my flat in the University District (both male, haha). Besides, it was 0-130 per pound! Why go through the effort? The higher quality pots got expensive and scarce as the war was winding down, and Colombian was king at about 0-450 per pound.
Well, at that price more and more people started trying to grow. And getting nowhere; huge Christmas tree plants maturing in December, if they were lucky.
So, everyone knows what happened then, someone or some group, unknown to me, got hold of some indica seed and the rest was history. The first crystalled sativa/indica hybrid I saw was from Humboldt in 1976, but I believe the scene had been going on a bit before that. And it was a fricking monster of course. I remember being in San Diego visiting a friend and a grower from Humboldt brought some of this stuff down. We were huge pot smokers, I mean huge, but one small joint of this stuff didn't even get burned down. It went out, to our great embarrassment and shock. This couldn't be!
Anyway, Northern Lights didn't just pop up in Seattle. Obviously some seed from the California explosion got up here, and we started messing with it. The problem with Seattle of course is that our falls are too wet to grow outside past September, and the California weed was maturing in late October. The answer was to bring it inside, but then it needed to be short and quick. Some early results of the breeding activities I saw was a basement growing room, about 100 plants in soil buckets under fluorescent lights (and boxes of aluminum foil covering the wall). The plant would be recognizable today as essentially Northern Lights.
This was 1977, 78? These growers I know were connected to the California scene, no question about it, and I would bet my balls they got the seed and plants from there. The time frame is just right, for one of the group was going to college in Humboldt at the time. But it?s also almost certainly true that this same story didn't happen only once. Plenty of stoners were growing around here at that time, and never connected with each other, naturally.
I've been growing the same plant from seed and from clones ever since, off and on, and a friend has never quit; same plant from that basement room. I have three distinct types, and have replaced them only recently when I was able to get ``name'' brands from Vancouver. So, for all intents and purposes, I guess I know where part of Northern Lights is, or at least a similar plant. But as to whom actually takes credit and the full lineage of the various types sold today, that is not known to me. I retain no pure strains, because I lost the male lineage about 8 years ago. I bred the three female types against several ``name'' strains to preserve some of the genetics, but it looks to me that the Dutch seed companies have the real thing, or close." -SCW

Latest posts

Latest posts