What's new

Which Landraces for growing @ 10,000 ft?

satva

Veteran
Damn late,......... flowered indoors. I only veg outside.

Same here i start flowering indoors, then bigger pots thru late flowering, get harder to move. I have some question about whether the flowers like the 2700k kelvin light range indoors more or less than outdoor light, which is typically very blue 5600k kelvin. I have a small gardening cold frame and in late fall if you totally close in the cold frame with the glass panels the temperature rises to 120 degrees pretty quickly. The sun in Colorado can be very intense even in the fall and winter.

I like the effect of tropical highland sativas, ones that can handle 85 degree temperatures and low humidity - 30%. Its 92 degrees now with 30% humidity. The Highland Mexicans have a transcendental effect I'm fond of - guerrera - oaxacan x haze hybrids with outdoor veg and indoor flower will push the limits of my growing skill and limited growing spaces.

TerpeneDream

Thanks for the input all!

Should of included location I suppose..ya'll got it, The Rockies

Much of Afghanistan exists at high altitude, and the ruderalis ancestors of autoflowers are adapted to harsh, short growing seasons in central Russia, so I figure they're the best bet.

This sounds like a great start. Some of the best herb I have ever had was landrace Afghani. Do you know a great source for real Afghan stuff?

"This makes the Malana strain, which is accustomed to the harsh weather at 3000m in the Himalaya, well suited for adapting to outdoors in more northern regions." - Quote from Malana Cream description, from RSC.

Uhh huh..this too. Seems like a great high altituder, and Real Seed Company does seem like THE best landrace seed company I've seen yet..But it doesn't appear that they deliver to the US. Anyway to get them?

For what little it's worth, the famous hash-producing weed of the Chitral Valleys of the Hindu Kush grows between 2000 and 3000 metres or more, and is picked very late (Oct-Nov?), sometimes it's already snowing, and I understand it will tolerate light snow falls without wilting.

OTOH, the valleys there are quite dry, I'm not sure what sort of humidities you're dealing with in the High Rockies of CO.

Yea, the High Rockies are pretty darn dry. That Chitral Kush sounds like it'd be perfect as well. Have a favorite source for this one?

Ha, if only the seed banks weren't full of watered down domestics!

So, there are indigenous auto-flowers? Ha, anybody have a source for heirlooms?

Yea, it looks like I'll definitely have to pick an auto or a 5 weaker to do outside... and some low-mold and cold resistant strains for the indoors..

Thanks again everyone!

theJointedOne

Veteran
The varieties frrom Mandala look promising and I may give them a try, the only thing holding me back is the mixed reviews on their gear.

But regardless a buddy of mine found a winner, and I bet it'd be worth searching.

Cannabiogen and ace are def getting some of my this winter.

Agent Orange702

Yep. He's apparently here in Colorado, up in the mountains. As we both know, it's a very short growing season, with long photoperiod & low overnight temps, even in the summer.

He might be alright with some semi-autoflowering Canadian strains, but 'd think that true autoflowers would be the best bet. At that, I'd start them indoors or in a cold frame, cover them overnight to protect against frost. The official growing season in Leadville, for example, is only 25 days-

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/07220.html

Mid June to first week of September (maybe) is all the growing season there is, even for very hardy frost resistant plants not native to the area. High elevation in Colorado is a very tough outdoor grow.

Then wow, yeah, definitely would have to do autos- and an auto malana exists, barneys. But with only a greenhouse in Leadville, and its quality weed. Canadian autos rcmc seem to be more bred for outside, as is lbh's SDH. Just sayin a lot of the auto genes out there have been selected only for indoor production. Mold issues usually. But even superautos, 120d, with a greenhouse, in Leadville. If youre only allowed 6 plants, make them count, right?!:moon:

Koondense

Veteran
I wouldn't bother with autos this high in mountains.
Get a pack of Tropical seeds' Ciskei, should do great.
Put some nice Malana cream(RSC) besides and make a killer cross for the mountains.

Agent Orange702

I'm confused, why do you say no autos? Is it the potency thing, cause that's been fixed. Theres issues, yes, but no big deal. Its a new art...

Otherwise, eerdbeer 'n other strains selected for mountains, a superauto purple paro valley perhaps. But that's up to mountain farmers to make, not some lab in Amsterdam or empty plot in Spain. Or some cabin in Quebec... Or some thunderfuck genes. Higher in the Himalayas the better if searching for landrace specific online...

I'd look into Durban, south Africa Zulu medicine. Crossed with OG 'n Cherry, it made thin mint Girlscout Cookies... And has short flowering time, especially for sativa.

Its not some frosty nights, row covers can be done. The plants will live 'n put out some amazing colors. Just make sure they have kelp, frost stresses K reserves. If its really that cold, real greenhouse. Or pure indoor. But what if that crop fails, you gonna waste a perfectly good opportunity to grow all you need for the year with one spring/summer/maybe fall. I mean one power outage, youre screwed... And clinic prices?

For droppin beans I'd choose auto, superauto, crosses, plus photo. All specificly chosen for simiar conditions, humidity, cold, harvest...

Is six plants even enough to satisfy cravings over a long winter? Say each does 2 oz. Bad season. 12oz. What if its all sativa, or indica, or molded. Really. Plan B. Autos...

Good season will be plenty of medicine- especially put into oil 'n extracts.

I mean I've usually had brick or indoor hydro- but the finest ever was organic outdoor. That was amazing... it was HUGE!

Koondense

Veteran
My only doubt is with their capacity to put on limited biomass in the short time of vegetative growth. With mountain conditions, thinner air and lower temperatures I doubt of their performance. However, I could be wrong.
Maybe a nepalese superauto like Annapurna(Flash seeds) would do a good performance.

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
I'd go for a nice afghani/pakistani or north indian/nepalese landrace as they all come from high elevations in the hindu kush/Himalaya mountains which is a similar latitude to the mid west mountains.

homebrew420

I know this is an old thread but my co workers uncle, Willy, has been growing and making seed with an Afghan variety he originally got in herb in the '70s. This is 30+ years in the Colorado Rockies @8000ish' I am actually flowering one right now. only a few weeks now. A buddy is also giving them a shot, a few fems. I have loads of these seed, and will be collecting pollen from one of the fastest males i have witnessed. Wasn't too impressed with the first group we flowered a few years back, mild citrus and hay. It may be a numbers game with this one. or just make some hybrids..

Peace

TerpeneDream

I know this is an old thread but my co workers uncle, Willy, has been growing and making seed with an Afghan variety he originally got in herb in the '70s. This is 30+ years in the Colorado Rockies @8000ish' I am actually flowering one right now. only a few weeks now. A buddy is also giving them a shot, a few fems. I have loads of these seed, and will be collecting pollen from one of the fastest males i have witnessed. Wasn't too impressed with the first group we flowered a few years back, mild citrus and hay. It may be a numbers game with this one. or just make some hybrids..

Peace

Maybe the f2's will be better? How far did this line go? Interesting…

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who shared all the great info here!

So, without referencing back to this thread, intrinsically, I went with a lot of varieties mentioned here!

I went with:

Real Seed Company: Malana Creme, Parvati

Ace: Pakistan-Chitral-Kush, NepalJam

Sensi: Hindu Kush, Black Domina

Soma: Lavender

CBD Crew: CBD Lavender

With what I popped, 12/12 Germ rate!

These are just going to be indoor pots that get deck-sun daily. Next year, hopefully things will move outside :)

F

Freeborn man

Terpene Dream late late late to the thread but im chiming in. Green house on the cheap but mucho effective, two layers of poly film over chea[ bent sappling hoop frames with stringers for ribs and spine then poly film then stringers to act as spacers then the next layer. best to 10 set two to three foot deep into soil, 2) You can use jugs of water bricks and and stones as het sinks and line up some bales of hay and leaves along the sides. My grandad grew tomotoes in the winter of new england and overwintered herbs and hanging baskets as well as starting the seedlings eartly. Add chicken wire over it and keep hens in it for free eggs and most importantly heat. This method was also used for decades at a research farm I used to hang out at in my younger days,with great success.

Latest posts

Latest posts