What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which breeders test for pathogens?

xtsho

The average HpLVd infection rate in the United States is 30%, with places like California reporting up to 90% of grows testing positive for HpLVd in their facilities.

source:
Latentes Hopfenviroid (HLVd): Umgang mit der größten Bedrohung für den Cannabisanbau - Grow Glide

Are the percentages realistic?

They're real enough that an entire industry has sprung up making significant amounts of money from cannabis growers. Those numbers are beneficial to those that are providing them.

I'm 100% positive that my infection rate is 0%. I have enough quality genetics that are HpLVd free to last me the rest of my life. If I was going to do meristem tissue culture to save some so called must have strain then I'd just buy the materials needed, make a hood, and do it. There is more than enough free information available to educate yourself and be successful at tissue culture. You can get everything needed for under $500 US.

People all over the world are cloning all varieties of plants using tissue culture with very simple setups. It's not that complicated of a process to perform and it's fairly simple to put together a small tissue culture lab. The methods are the same for cannabis as other plants.

Fuel

Realistic in the sense of a narrowed production revolving around the same cuts, even Oregon is tributary of the Cali cuts (but they deal with HLVD and the overall traceability differently).

The 90% given by Tumi and quoted in the article is a bit biased. It can be the feedback on dispensaries chains (even more narrowed in term of genetics), an extrapolation of their tests ... it's a bit blurry for me.

xtsho

Realistic in the sense of a narrowed production revolving around the same cuts, even Oregon is tributary of the Cali cuts (but they deal with HLVD and the overall traceability differently).

The 90% given by Tumi and quoted in the article is a bit biased. It can be the feedback on dispensaries chains (even more narrowed in term of genetics), an extrapolation of their tests ... it's a bit blurry for me.

The numbers are coming from entities that profit from testing. It's the new cash cow in the cannabis industry.

Ca++

Some sort of home testing kit, that's far too expensive to have a price published. You know what they say "If you have to ask, you can't afford it"

Latest posts

Latest posts