What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which breeders test for pathogens?

Shua1991

Yeah. Each different pathogen test is, let’s say, $10-$20. Four or five tests a piece times the ten or twenty different cuts they’re pollinating, and you’re up to a grand, easy. But money’s not even the worst part. It’s for a piece of paper that might tell you to throw your prized cuts in the trash.
I assume all my plants are compromised and select based on vigor and resistance to stressors. I've never experienced dudding before but I've heard about it.

dramamine

I assume all my plants are compromised and select based on vigor and resistance to stressors. I've never experienced dudding before but I've heard about it.
1693533169041.png

Ca++

Dr Warren first found the hops viroid was a problem for us. He directs the labs at Black Heart, where they offer testing to other facilities. They speak of their average customer, saying 90% of them have it, in 30-40% of the samples.

These are important numbers.

They have also found that taking the very tip and rooting in it a dish, isn't working in a high number of cases. Work verified by other researchers, where re-emergence over a few months later was not uncommon. They have developed the process further, but won't say how until the process is legally protected as theirs. They are getting a lot better at eradicating it though.
If you are really wondering, think light. The other cleaning method. As such, they are unlikely to get it protected in law. Just combining the two methods, isn't original.

Last edited:

xtsho

Dr Warren first found the hops viroid was a problem for us. He directs the labs at Black Heart, where they offer testing to other facilities. They speak of their average customer, saying 90% of them have it, in 30-40% of the samples.

Isn't that where they first identified the infection?

Ca++

But is the average customer someone who already suspects it?
This is true, and why I couldn't leave it out.
However, it confirms what cannabis industry analysts already expected. That a third have this.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran

They have also found that taking the very tip and rooting in it a dish, isn't working in a high number of cases. Work verified by other researchers, where re-emergence over a few months later was not uncommon. They have developed the process further, but won't say how until the process is legally protected as theirs. They are getting a lot better at eradicating it though.
If you are really wondering, think light. The other cleaning method. As such, they are unlikely to get it protected in law. Just combining the two methods, isn't original.
Wasn't aware that tissue culture was not working reliably. I wonder if mold is also passing. Lost 10 mothers from botrytis, took thirty cuts from tops for clones and one lived and shows no signs, but the cuttings I took from it half rooted but took a long time and the lowest growth is weak so do not trust and keeping in quarantine. Tissue culture takes around 6 months till big enough to take cuts. Had thought about using eagle 20 to kill the mold, then take small cuts and only use those for mothers, so little chance of it passing into flower. Myclobutanil half life is 245 days.

Ca++

Wasn't aware that tissue culture was not working reliably. I wonder if mold is also passing. Lost 10 mothers from botrytis, took thirty cuts from tops for clones and one lived and shows no signs, but the cuttings I took from it half rooted but took a long time and the lowest growth is weak so do not trust and keeping in quarantine. Tissue culture takes around 6 months till big enough to take cuts. Had thought about using eagle 20 to kill the mold, then take small cuts and only use those for mothers, so little chance of it passing into flower. Myclobutanil half life is 245 days.
Meristem is about 10% effective, they claim. Which is somewhere close to useless.

xtsho

Meristem is about 10% effective, they claim. Which is somewhere close to useless.

I didn't know the success rate was that low. That's not good. Curious where that number came from.

I've thought about procuring the supplies to do tissue cultures. The process is not that complicated. I would be more inclined to use tissue culture for maintaining that prized tomato plant rather than for cannabis. But it's something to have in the toolkit for the future.

Happs

Yer it’s not looking good for us at the moment.
looking like more and more procedures to go through now.
Keeping plants separate and flowering them for 6-12 month so you can see if it has hops is gonna be a pain in the rear end.
But looks like it’s gonna be normal now if you like popping beans.
Once you have had hops you know what to look for but for new growers it’s gonna really mess things up.
im sure there will be the magic snake water that will cure it all out soon .lol.
I’ve had it and seen its effects over a few crops in hydro and at first you do doubt your skills but once you realise what it is you see the effects on plants.
The buds with less trichomes , under developed buds, thin stems and the plant losing its vigor the growth looks slower and stunted.
it looks like the plants have been so mistreated when you know they have had all the love in the world.
Maybe none/ or all of the breeders don’t what to admit that they had it or got it.
But i live in the uk and and I can’t be the only person that’s had it..
so even by small odds if you gamble there has got to be a few hundred grows in the uk effected and growing more all the time..

Ca++

I didn't know the success rate was that low. That's not good. Curious where that number came from.

I've thought about procuring the supplies to do tissue cultures. The process is not that complicated. I would be more inclined to use tissue culture for maintaining that prized tomato plant rather than for cannabis. But it's something to have in the toolkit for the future.
It's more fluff than substance, but the tab was already open https://www.greenhousegrower.com/pr...tent-viroid-early-can-boost-your-bottom-line/

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran

Just looked at flow hoods and lots of cheap ones now. Made a glove box long time ago for mycology. Just need to figure out what to add too agar for the plant to live off and what to sterilize meristem with. Then lots of waiting.

Ca++

Just looked at flow hoods and lots of cheap ones now. Made a glove box long time ago for mycology. Just need to figure out what to add too agar for the plant to live off and what to sterilize meristem with. Then lots of waiting.
I know I spoke of cell culture, but meristem is a tissue culture. It's not quite interchangeable, if we are to talk seriously about it. This leads to differing nutrient needs. It's not just nutrients either. We must provide hormones and such, that an undecided cell group are not making.
Many of these internet based learning courses are just money drains, but there are options
I'm reading they were going to do monthly, so the booking dates would be worth looking at, and prior course reviews, if there have been any. We have seen self proclaimed experts offering courses that never happen.

It's a lot more trouble than starting seeds.

Latest posts

Latest posts