What's new

Where to buy/get Finola seeds from?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Is it possible to sex hemp seed in much the same manner as sexing a cannabis seed? Ie volcano crater = female. Thanks
Yes and no. There's no difference in hemp and cannabis seeds but that volcano crater thingy is bogus... if you want to sex a seed, crush it and run a gene test on it (though said seed will obviously be dead afterwards). The only thing normal people can do is 'grow, then you know'.

highlem

Chanvre info said:
Semences de chanvre industriel certifiées Le chanvre, la matière première écologique de l’avenir.
Type : Beniko ou Finola idéal pour la production de graines et de fibres de chanvre.
Prix : prix du jour
Est contenu dans le catalogue des variétés Suisse (RS 916.051.6) et de la C.E. (1251/199).
A commander chez Chanvre-Info.ch Mail : info chez chanvre-info.ch

http://www.chanvre-info.ch/info/ar/Semences-de-chanvre-industriel.html

Date de l’offre feb. 2009... Mais ça coûte rien de leur écrire pour s'informer! Ils pourront te diriger vers quelqu'un ou peut être toujours d'actualité vu que légal...
chanvre-info est/était une vraie source fiable depuis des décennies même si affaibli par le décès de membres fondateurs...

peut être une autre piste plus pertinente pour toi...
:tiphat:

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Coucou,
T'as tout à fait raison, c'est une bonne source d'infos.
Sauf que le magasin affilé est Swisshempshop et le mec là n'a pas pu m'aider trop... plus, vu qu'on puisse obtenir la même quantité de grains similaires gratuits ailleurs... ;)
Merci en tout cas pour le lien!

PS chanvre-info does also have an English, German and so on site for those not fluent in French. It's really worth a look for a lot of things cannabis and hemp related (with emphasis on Swiss laws but by no means only for Swiss folks).

Santalum

oldchuck I read one of your posts over on the 420 blogs and you mentioned you obtained your Finola seed from a small shop in Finland. Do you remember the web address of that supplier? Many thank in advance.

Any update on the Dx? I really hope these units can be refined.

Santalum

BEfore you hopefully answer me OC I'll throw another question your way. What extraction method are you using on your hemp and what type of tincture are you producing to treat you seizures please? Don't mean to burden you with too many questions but I'm sponging to get my daughter right and I know in my heart it is possible. Its about feedstock first and then dosage strategy. I have read most of your posts and they are probably contain the most valuable insight anyone has yet to give me into management strategies for seizures. Hats off to you for sharing.

oldchuck

Veteran
Here you go, Santalum:

http://www.yrttilato.fi/

You have to hunt around a bit to find the tiny British flag to get it in English. Only Ornamental turned me on to that shop last year in his hemp hub thread. You should read his first post in that thread. Lots of useful information.

oldchuck

Veteran
Regarding you other questions, I keep it as simple as possible: home growing and kitchen chemistry.

The weed: this first worked for me with a standard high THC variety reduced to tincture. I was amazed, negligible CBD but it worked. Then I grew the Finola and it worked even better to my further amazement. Then I made a simple F1 cross, Finola/Satori and I believe it works best of all. Going to try and make a lot of those seeds this year. So, I've tried it three ways, high THC/low CBD, low THC/presumed boost in CBD, and hybrid cross hopefully a more balanced ratio. They all work. Still can't put real numbers to any of that.

My tincture recipe: One oz of weed and one liter of 95% ethanol.

Decarb and fragment the weed in the oven for a half hour or so then freeze everything overnight.

Quick wash the weed in the ethanol for about thirty seconds in a French press leaving a nice amber solution. Then I distill off the alcohol with a hot plate and small condenser. I'll recover about two thirds of the alcohol for reuse. I'll boil the liter down to about 100-150 ml of final product. That's my incidental seizure control end product. As I said, it burns when you spray it under tongue and would not work for a child.

Not done yet. I take that ounce of weed for a second run. About half a liter of ethanol in a mason jar plus the weed just gets passively soaked for three or four days. Makes an intense Green Dragon. I distill this run all the way down, remove all the ethanol leaving a rather ugly blackish tar. Using a petrie dish and coffee warmer at this point. When the alcohol is all gone I add back coconut oil at about a 1-1 ratio plus a little soy lecithin and then inject it into OO capsules. The purpose of this to try to get some longer term blood level coverage for the medication. I've been taking one of these caps a day and wish I had enough raw material to take two. I think it is working but am still experimenting. Since it is ingested the caps cannot supply the incidental coverage I get with the tincture. I have not tried to rub the raw oil into my gums but that might work for incidental relief. The alcohol tincture is fast and effective. Sticky oil might be a big hassle in an emergency and my seizures are always emergencies.

There has been one software update for the MyDx and some people seem to be getting better results. Mine still has problems. I can't even start to believe it when clean air samples are still reading 15% THC

oldchuck

Veteran
No, man, I want seeds. Well, it depends. I just harvested a couple of very nice hybrid girls with no seeds. This season I'm getting my hemp license and I think I will pull most of the outdoor Finola males and keep the breeding selective. Sensei is easy to do with Finola though. The males show up long before the females are ready.

Now I have a question for you. This Elixinar stuff you use, what formulation does it come in and how do you use it?

Santalum

Certainly OC.

The Elixinol product is essentially a hemp paste which has a standardised concentration of 18% CBD or 180mg/ml CBD. It comes in a 10ml syringe which needs to be heated to turn the paste into liquid and allow you to extract it without too much effort from the syringe.

We had been dosing on my daughters cereal 1ml/day at breakfast. Elixinol support staff have come back and told us this is not a very effective strategy as 90% of the CBD will be destroyed by the liver. So sublingual, inhaling or suppositary are THE most effective delivery means. For a 2 yo we are going to try the sublingual option first.

Elixinol have recommended making a coconut oil + elixinol blend which when at room temperature 20-25 degrees C can be delivered through an oil pump spray directly into the mouth in small regular sprays. Here is some of the info from Elixinol:

"Small glass bottles with sprayers set for oils are inexpensively available from ebay in glass or aluminum containers. In a similar type I found 5 spays per ml. Using the 10mg/ml mix that would provide 2mg per spray.
I personally feel the effects at that dose. High dose therapy might require more concentrated mixes which I don't think will be a problem. A couple sprays in the mouth is low volume. You might be able to teach the child to swish and avoid swallowing. Certainly avoid any food or drink for 10 minutes.

This method may not provide precision dosing, however, or a standard absorption because of some variability in how the child behaves after dosing. And, we don't know what the right dose will be. I suggest that an oral dose of 100mg would equal 10mg by sublingual and 1 mg by inhalation."

If true this may explain why you have been getting such fantastic personal control of your own seizure activity utilising the Finola. Its not overly endowed in CBD but it is there and in high enough concentration to maintain control.

This is all so fascinating to me. Thank you once again for sharing OC.

oldchuck

Veteran
Thank you, Sant. Interesting and useful.

I have suspected for some time that it might take only a very small dose but I have had no way to seriously measure that. I also suspect that there is no dangerously high dosage with CBD only medications. Further, I suspect that some THC in the mix produces a beneficial synergistic effect. Many questions remain, however, like is there a point of diminishing returns on the dosage and can I maintain a consistent blood level amount of cannabinoids by eating it. I'm still experimenting but I hate to stray too far from what I know works.

I'm going to repeat myself. I know when I am about to get hit by a seizure. It starts with a tiny brain twitch, undetectable externally. But as soon as I feel that twitch I move fast to get the spray under my tongue. The quicker I can move the better to quiet the seizure. I don't believe there is any way you, as an observing parent, can detect that little twitch in your daughter's brain no matter how closely you monitor her. By the time you see something happening the seizure is already started. Hopefully you can quiet it but it still is a somewhat damaging seizure event.

So I think you can do two things: try for a longer systemic blood level control by ingesting it. I know there are bioavailability issues and a lot of unknowns, but that's why I use the soy lecithin which supposedly improves bioavailability. And longer term, teach her to treat herself with the sublingual spray as soon as possible. Two years old is obviously too young but maybe by the time she is five. How often does she seize anyway?

Santalum

Probably 10-20 times a day. Down from 30-50 without CBD and on 3 AEDs (Clobazam, Keppra and Topamax). Mostly head drop seizures. She's off two of those AEDs but still having far too many breakthrough seizures for my liking. Am going to try a high concentration THCA (cold ethanol extraction) coconut oil carried med. The current internet version is 1g of resin in 100ml ethanol, which by my calcs is around 4mg on a 2ml dosage assuming 20% THCA/THC in parent feedstock (street cannabis), and anecdotal reports of high level of effectiveness. In time I will have a 1:1 so that will become a CBDA tincture too. Just not sure how far to push the concentration, double triple quadruple? I have to budget on swallowing taking a percentage down into her tummy so the more concentrated the better if there is no risk of THC intoxication and more likelihood of sublingual absorption of a meaningful dosage. Obviously I will sample first for any hint of that. How does this strategy sound?

I would also like to incorporate some Elixinol in there as it is my only source of CBD say around 10mg/ml of oil. For epilepsy it appears anecdotally the 2 most effective cannabinoids are THCA and CBD. Clearly very few combination products are out in the marketplace atm particularly as an emergency 'rescue remedy' med. Acidic and decarbed rarely seem to be together at least with what is available on the street in Australia. I hate experimenting but my girl is not quite right yet. All I have is anecdotes and some of the supporting literature which quite frankly I have grown distrustful of because 'peer review' science is still debatable in its scientific integrity. I feel science these days goes to the highest bidder.

The THC potentiator theory I have read somewhere before but just reluctant to play with that one until she is much older. Hopefully talking and giving me feedback at some stage.

Santalum

Another quick question for you. Given hemp and cannabis are two different species, how is it they can openly cross pollinate to produce hybrids. I was always taught that interspecific hybridization was only possible with advanced breeding techniques. Are you 100% sure your Satori crossed with the Finola? Just curious

oldchuck

Veteran
Another quick question for you. Given hemp and cannabis are two different species, how is it they can openly cross pollinate to produce hybrids. I was always taught that interspecific hybridization was only possible with advanced breeding techniques. Are you 100% sure your Satori crossed with the Finola? Just curious

That's not a quick question except for the Satori/Finola cross part. You are opening up the whole "species debate" and I disagree with your premise. My own opinion, and the traditional taxonomic view, is that Cannabis Sativa is one single species with perhaps several subspecies variously defined. All Cannabis varieties interbreed freely but the species debate continues for various scientific and political reasons.

And yes, I am certain the Finola/Satori did breed and hybridize. No other possibility at the time. Only a couple of Finola males in the greenhouse with the Satori girl. It was love at first sight.

Santalum

Yes you certainly can't trust what you were taught at school. That is good news on the cross front for future projects :) Love at first sight ... too funny!

Santalum

And if they interbreed freely then I would align my thinking to that of yours most definately. Subspecies for sure. I will have to research this at some stage for interest sake.

oldchuck

Veteran
Oh, and an afterthought. Your daughter's seizure type is very different from mine. I'm not sure my experience is useful for you at all. I should have asked earlier. My seizure types are simple partial and complex partial that can generalize into tonic/clonic. That means if I am standing or moving around and a seizure takes me, I fall, no neurological control at all. But I don't have them nearly as often as your little girl; a serious tonic clonic maybe every six months. Otherwise maybe at most two or three simple partials a week. Now nearly all controlled.

The Cannabis species question is really fascinating. Comparing to other species, think of domestic dogs. All the same species but can a Great Dane breed naturally with a Chihuahua? And what of our own species? It has been in the news lately that we all share a little bit of Neandertal genetics. Neandertals are not Homo Sapiens yet way back when they got sexy together, probably in the back seat of a 1956 Chevrolet.

Latest posts

Latest posts