What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where to buy/get Finola seeds from?

Santalum

Reading with interest. Chuck my 20mo daughter has intractable epilepsy and is now on 180mg CBD (1ml/day Elixinol) and an unstandardised dose of THCA from a local Australian tincture. Costing us around $15,000 US a year at the moment. The problem in AUstralia is we don't have access to CBD dominant strains so for treating little girls with epilepsy decarbing a 1:1 chasing 180mg of CBD wouldn't be possible as that would deliver enough THC for 18 stoners in a day. Googling Finola have read many of your posts. The frozen juice suppliers out of the UK/Ireland would be ideal but they too are pricey and inaccessible in any case. They are using finola.
Will be interested to see how you go with your crosses.

oldchuck

Veteran
@Santalum, welcome to the hemp club. Jeez, less than 2 years old and dealing with seizures. I know what she is feeling/experiencing (sort of) but she doesn't. A kid can't understand what's happening. I've seen a couple of videos of kids starting to seize then getting a CBD oil treatment. Brings tears to my eyes but I noticed one thing. Even though the kid's caregiver showed up pretty quickly with the eye dropper there was a gap, maybe ten seconds delay from the first visible signs of seizing. When you are starting to get head banged with seizure ten seconds is a very long time. These days I always have my magic tincture close at hand. The seizure aura or the preliminary feelings are not visible but just as soon as I feel the slightest twitch in my brain I'm on it with the spray, smother it before it gets started. It is so much harder with a young child. They don't know what's going on and by the time even a close watching mom or dad sees something happening the seizure is already underway. The quicker a kid can learn to recognize those brain twitches and can treat herself the better. Good luck with that.

I had never heard of Elixinol so I looked it up. That stuff is pretty pricy for industrial hemp. $500 for only nine 200 mg doses. I could go through that in a couple of weeks. I'll keep growing my own, thanks. You sound like you know what you're doing so get some seeds and plant hemp everywhere

oldchuck

Veteran
Now a bit of an update:

Still growing out a batch of pure Finolas, kind of scrawny, ugly girls under 18/6 LEDs, some flowering and some just struggling. Also have a couple of Finola/Satori flowering under 12/12 LEDs. Those girls are much prettier with lots of branching.

And then there are these. I am calling these Hippie Hemp because they are from that couple of ounces of no name hemp seed I got from those dudes in S. California. I was just going to do a test germ with them but the few I sprinkled in came up nicely so I let them grow. The males showed like Finola and I culled them. I am surprised by the two showing so differently, one squat and broad leafed and the other taller and more spindly and flowering sooner. They are in the 12/12 tent.

MyDx analyzer has shipped. Arrives Tuesday.

Santalum

Problem is hemp seed for food in Australia and New Zealand can you believe is not legal so there is no chance of getting supply. The authorities claim it can alter the results of THC drug tests. There are certainly no labs offering cannabinoid profiling either. So our CBD cost at this point in time seems fixed. I do know there is CBD Crew Critical Mass material in Australia but how to isolate decarbed CBD from the associated THC seems impossible. I do like the Elixinol product as it is super critically CO2 extracted so suppose we should have some terpenes coming through. I have read linalool in particular has anti spasmodic properties.

On your fast acting rescue remedy, can you please give me some idea on what cannabinoid profiling your tincture has and how you self medicate. It is the breakthrough seizures my little girl is having that sometimes encourage my only 80% on the page wife to stick extra AEDs into her like Clobazam, when I know there are tailored tinctures that could do the job. We are trying to remove her off all the AEDs only 1 1/2 to go. Is it best to go for alcohol based and sublingual?

If I had access to a hemp producer for sure I would be buying female buds by the pound for both juicing and decarbing. Do you value CBDA in your seizure control regime?

Thank you so much for you time. Really interested to follow this work here.

oldchuck

Veteran
I'm just guessing on the dosage, Sant. And I don't think the way I do it is appropriate for a 2 year old child. I do a quick frozen wash extraction with 190 proof ethanol. Then I concentrate it to about 10 to 1. How much of what canabinoids I'm getting I don't really know but it works so I am thinking there is a quite a bit of flexibility on effective dose. Anyway, the tincture goes into a small (10 ml) pump spray tube and I apply it as quickly as possible under my tongue. About 2 ml at a time works for me. It burns. 190 proof is potent stuff. I wouldn't give it to a kid.

That's the emergency treatment. It doesn't prevent a seizure but does stop one once it starts or eases it. I discussed the tincture spray method with my neurologist and she said I needed more consistent coverage like a conventional pill form AED. So I have started taking the concentrate all the way down to sticky goo and then adding back about a 1 - 1 ratio of coconut oil so I can make it flow into a capsule. It is more concentrated and lasts longer but my raw material is limited right now so I am taking only one a day. I'd like to double that. There are no bothersome side effects like with every other AED I have suffered from.

I have been mixing the plant material a bit. Right now I'm liking 75% Finola and 25% Blue Dream (high THC). I decarb everything. The high THC stuff works too but I like the hemp mix better. Doesn't get me high, does get me straight.

I'm still experimenting. Everybody experiences a seizure differently. You Australians need some better laws. So do we. I hear they grow hemp in Tasmania. They probably use dingo packs to guard it.

Santalum

Gday Chuck
Thank you for your experience as someone managing their epilepsy effectively using tailored treatment regime.

I was wondering whether you had had a chance to try your Dx analyser on the Finola. I can't seem to find anywhere indication on what percentage of CBD is contained. I have a Finnish friend who farms and is about to plant a commercial Finola crop for his first crack. Will be following his journey very closely.

Thank you once again.

oldchuck

Veteran
Gday back to you, Sant.

The MyDx device still has some bugs so I am not getting consistent results. I think it will work okay once they get the software straightened out. I have the same problem as you finding test data on Finola and it will be one of my first tests once the device is working properly.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi

It is a shame that CBD medicines for epilepsy treatment are so expensive, when hemp is still legal to grow in many places.

Finola is well below the EU level of 0.2%, with aver-
age values between 0.10–0.15% dry weight of mature
plants (Small & Marcus, 2003). The ratio of cannabid-
iol (CBD) to THC is well over 2 for Finola, which is
another requirement for all approved varieties of hemp
in the EU.

So you can expect at least 0.20-0.30% CBD, surely more, in Finola.

Santalum, perhaps you can contact with this man in Tasmania.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-21/nrn-hemp-holdup/5274936

Best regards.

Santalum

Turns out in order to find any reference to the CBD content in Finola, you need to have been googling a fellow by the name of Sasha Przytyk, whose father Jerzy Przytyk is the founder of "Hempco" and in the past has been Quebec's largest and most ambitious hemp farmer (see link below):
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1825.html

Sasha appears to have been also well ahead of his time producing a decarbed Finola essential oil in 2001 (See link below):
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1868.html
Here is more information on his journey. Interestingly, it is almost impossible to find any recent activity from what it would seem was a man ahead of his time. I have always said being genious is usually more about timing (See link below, scroll down to the second article)

http://www.hempreport.com/issues/14/farm14.html

In any case, Sasha produced an analysis of two commercial hemp varieties, Finola and Fasamo analysing complete terpene profiles as well as cannabinoid profiles for delta9THC, CBN and CBD. CBD content came in at 405 ppm or 0.405mg/g for Finola and 595ppm or 0.595mg/g for Fasamo. A respectable 50% higher in the Fasamo is of interest. Not sure what knowledge you have of this variety oldchuck and I have yet to explore the net.

What I think can safely be assumed is that these levels do not represent what is possible in a sensimilla grown Finola plant and I suspect significantly higher CBD may well be possible.

I find this new area to me very interesting and hope to stimulate greater minds than my own to apply their thoughts to this new/old information. The obvious question is where is Sasha these days?

oldchuck

Veteran
Interesting articles. That was just about the time that the very new Canadian hemp market crashed. It has been slowly building back up ever since.

Santalum

Hemp Essential Oil Analysis Report
Courtesy of: Gen-X Research Regina, Sk.
(Date received: Sept. 27, 2000)

Oil Constituent Lot "A" Lot "B"
percent values "FIN-314 hemp" "Fasamo hemp"
Myrcene 38.2 40.1
a-Terpinolene 22.2 26.6
trans-Ocimene 20.4 4.1
a-Pinene 6.6 4.2
B-Pinene 1.8 1.4
Limonene 1.2 1.7
B-Phellandrene 0.6 0.4
cis-Ocimene 0.2 0.4
^3-Carene 0.1 0.1
Total
Monoterpenes 91.3 78.9

trans-Caryophyllene 5.0 9.8
a-Humulene 0.7 2.1
B-Farnesene 0.6 2.0
B-Selinene 0.6 0.5
Caryophyllene oxide 0.5 2.9
Phtalic acid diethyl ester 0.5 2.7
Selina-3,7(11)-diene 0.5 0.7
a-Bergamotene 0.5 0.6
Total Sesquiterpenes 8.9 21.2

Cannabinoid Content
parts per million (PPM) Lot "A" Lot "B"
^9THC less than 1 less than 1
CBN less than 1 less than 1
CBD 405 595

oldchuck

Veteran
How come??

Keep on growing :)

In a word, Mex, infrastructure.

I read about a while ago so I don't remember numbers and details. Canada permitted hemp farming sometime in the late 1990s and a lot of farmers got excited about it. Thousands of acres were planted, big plans were made for processing. Infrastructure needed to be created from scratch. Sometime around the turn of the century the only available big hemp seed oil processing company out in the west somewhere went belly up. Suddenly farmers had one hell of a big crop on their hands and no place to sell it. People got burned and planted acreage crashed. It has slowly been building back up since.

Hemp is a great crop but it requires extensive specialized infrastructure whether for seed or fiber.

oldchuck

Veteran
Hi oldchuck. What are your thoughts on the upside potential to CBD % in a sensimilla Finola grow?

Don't know, Sant, and I won't know much until I can do lots of sample testing.

The test numbers you report above were done in 2000, 15 years ago. Thank you for that. They are the only numbers I have seen. I presume the sample came from one plant taken at one point in the grow cycle. Not enough data to draw any conclusions.

I do know that Finola makes a nice cross with with high THC varieties. Hybrid vigor. It is also my suspicion, based on my own experience, that it might not take much CBD to stop a seizure.

I saw a field of agro hemp last year and i got a bucket of it because its a great alternative to tobacco but it's quite heady in the morning. no thc but not blank herbs either. yes it was totally mature polinated fems.