What's new

Where is CBD produced?

prune

Veteran
That's simply untrue.

You get "higher" from 1g of cannabis cooked into food for a host of reasons, that have nothing to do with CBD.

When you smoke, you might capture %20 of the cannabinoids, of which only a fraction is in the decarboxylated THC form, the rest is in its innactive THCA form. When you cook food with cannabis, especially baked foods where the products are more evenly heated over time, the majority of the THCA is decarboxylated into THC and thus available for pharmacological activity in the body. This explains the fact that you get higher from eating a gram of cannabis cooked into food, than if you were to smoke the same gram.

Secondly, when you eat cannabis it passes through your liver where it is converted to 11-hydroxy-THC before arriving at sites of action in your brain and CNS. The fact that 11-hydroxy-THC is a more potent agonist of the cannabinoid receptor, and the separate fact that the 11-hydroxy-THC more readily crosses the blood brain barrier, all play in concert to give the feeling that you are 'higher'.

This fact holds true for high THC cannabis which contains no CBD, which nullifies the supposition that the stoned effect is due to the effects of CBD.

-Chimera

Excellent post, i thought to add some details on CBN from personal research.

CBN does nor seem to be a breakdown product of THC nor CBD, as historically reported (and repeated ad nauseum). Testing of uniform samples over a period of a year show no increase in CBN's, in fact they decrease proportionally with THC and CBD.

CBN does have a very strong narcotic effect that can persist for as long as 7-8 hours. Anything over ~1.2% is going to have noticeable effects.

A high CBN strain (2.1%) strain i have observed, has a noticeable "sweaty leaf" appearance, with a profusion of bulbous glands on all bud leaf.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
I did not write that It was a cut and paste from the net as my post indicated

No worries man, didn't mean to infer you posted the info... just wanted to set the record straight for future readers of the thread.

Highonmt,

it's a safe bet when working with plants to asssume that every possible trait you can think of (or more accurately the alleles responsible for the trait) can also have a mutant counterpart where the allele is non-functional. Obviously the effect on the phenotype depends on where in the biological pathway that allele (or protein thereof) lays, and what plant systems is the allele (or protein thereof) involved.

The cannabinoid synthesis pathway is actually a pretty good model for understanding the concept, with different mutations leading to different chemotypes.

GPP + OA >>>> CBG ======> THC

GPP + OA >>>> CBG -----------> CBD

GPP + OA >>>> CBG +=+=+=> CBC

>>>>> = Hemp Transferase (GOT) (Cannabinoid synthesis step 1)

====> = THC-Acid Synthase (THCAS)
-------> = CBD-Acid Synthase (CBDAS) (THCAS and CBDAS are allelic)

+=+=> = CBC-Acid Synthase (CBCAS) (present in juvenile tissues, CBC seems to be more common in sessile trichomes)

Mutation in >>>>> = no cannabinoids

Mutation in ====> or -------> = non-functional allele.
................................... Given 2 non-functional alleles = CBG accumulation

Mutation in =+=+> no CBC synthesis from CBG

Cheers,
-Chimera

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This fact holds true for high THC cannabis which contains no CBD, which nullifies the supposition that the stoned effect is due to the effects of CBD.

-Chimera

Can you let me know what strains are available that dont contain CBD??? I would love to find a strain that contains no CBD..

skanky

It seems to me that almost all popular western bred poly-hybrids (blue dream, Grape ape, etc..)around have almost negligible amount of CBD .15% - .50%.

E

elmanito

To add some more info what Chimera did.To get CBD in your strain your strain must have the Bd/allele as Bt/allele is for THC-production (conversion of CBG into THC).

chemovars[0].jpg

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

KiefSweat

Veteran
Can you let me know what strains are available that dont contain CBD??? I would love to find a strain that contains no CBD..

anything that contains no hashplant lines probably. I've tested a lot of my plants, and only very few have small amts of cbd. The ones specifically bred for high cbd are the only ones with over 1% cbd.

AeroJoe

Nope just articles I have read on the net and discussions with people about it. You will find more CBD in the leaf then you will in the buds. Most of the leaf matter does not contain much THC. I have no scientific proof you guys can decide for yourselves..
I agree with hammerhead, that the leaves carry more cbd. Also not based on science, just my own experiences as well as articles. I'm sure someone has done a tissue sample from nug/sugar leaf/fan leaf.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Cannabinoids are synthesized in glandular trichomes, both capitate stalked and sessile. However sessile glands produce more CBC than the capitate-stalked trichomes, which produce more CBD and THC. There is definite involvement in the amount of light that the plant receives and the development of more capitate-stalked glandular trichomes that produce CBD and THC, my hypothesis is via an up-regulation of CHS, which has been proven to be inducible in other species by factors such as increased UV.

Chimera! I have so many questions! :tiphat:

So then, for high CBD content, has anyone tried running a tested strain (preferably cuttings/clones) like Cattatonic or Harlequin under various light sources to see what lighting factors influence CBD the most? Light temp (color), UV, infrared, etc.

If it is indeed UV light that builds CBD then I would imagine the breakdown of CBD strength looks like: Sun > Plasma > MH > CFL > LED > HPS.

I ask because I have been told that high UV levels are what build CBD. My Harlequin spent its whole life under my ridiculous CFL array and had the exact same potency as our sample which we picked up from Harborside. Which, is interesting as one would assume their indoor crops are run under HPS, which would eliminate the CBD content - but ours seemed to have CBDs in spades.

Thoughts?

dizzlekush

So much mis-info in such a short thread!

G.O Joe is correct, there certainly are cannabinoid free plants (chemotype V). There are a series of different mutations that lead to this chemotype, non-functional versions of the geranylpyrophosphate:eek:livetolate geranyltransferase (GOT) enzyme lead to this chemotype, as do certain upstream mutations in other terpene synthesis pathways that lead up to olivetolic acid (OA) and divarinic acid (DA) respectively. Of course, mutations in the trichome transcription factors and trichome specific genes can also lead to the null-cannabinoid chemotype- where no trichs are produced, no cannabinoids can be present.

Cannabinoids are synthesized in glandular trichomes, both capitate stalked and sessile. However sessile glands produce more CBC than the capitate-stalked trichomes, which produce more CBD and THC. There is definite involvement in the amount of light that the plant receives and the development of more capitate-stalked glandular trichomes that produce CBD and THC, my hypothesis is via an up-regulation of CHS, which has been proven to be inducible in other species by factors such as increased UV.

Vegetative flowering plants do produce glandular trichomes and thus cannabinoids, however do so in much lower amounts than we see in flowers.

Separating trichomes from leaf material via dry-sifting or resin separation via bubblebags etc will not separate CBD and THC- they are produced in the same structures. Also, people believe that the 'heavy' effect is due to CBD, and OFTEN ASSUME that their cannabis is high in CBD because it makes them lethargic and tired- this is completely FALSE. The lethargic effect is due to specific terpenes, and has very little to do with the cannabinoids.

Hope that clarifies somewhat,
-Chimera

^This^
My respects to highonmt but all studies i've ever read speak of ALL cannabinoids (and terpenoids IIRC) being produced in glandular trichomes of cannabis. Great info, as always, Chimera.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
anything that contains no hashplant lines probably. I've tested a lot of my plants, and only very few have small amts of cbd. The ones specifically bred for high cbd are the only ones with over 1% cbd.

I dont think I have ever smoked or seen a stain that does not contain cbd. If any one knows of a strain that does not have CBD please post it here...

E

elmanito

I dont think I have ever smoked or seen a stain that does not contain cbd. If any one knows of a strain that does not have CBD please post it here...

Haze or any oldskool Mexican, Nepalese etc, but you can better ask which strain does contain any CBD.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From what I understand all cannabis has cbd from very small quantity's to higher quantity's. Those strains you mention contain cbd in small quantitys. old school mex shwag has allot of CBD.. Are there any papers that satate what strain does not have CBD.. If there is no data to suport this thats all I want to know..

KiefSweat

Veteran
i've tested multiple plants.

Most have zero cbd.

The only plant that I have with cbd besides seeds i've bought that where bred for high cbd are some of my cheese X widow crosses.

Other lines interesting to note only the males had cbd in them, but at a 1:25 ratio or so.

KiefSweat

Veteran
anything with more then a 1:5 ratio has some noticeable effects from cbd from my experience.

The plants in question above even if hashed with have .5-1% cbd max and 50% thc.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Like I stated all cannabis has CBD. People are not the same effects can be different in people. I myself can be effected with very small amounts of CBD......Thanks for that info thats all I needed to know ..

KiefSweat

Veteran
Like I stated all cannabis has CBD. People are not the same effects can be different in people. I myself can be effected with very small amounts of CBD......Thanks for that info thats all I needed to know ..

at .01% you'd need to smoke a load to get 1mg and an effect. Just sayinh..

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what is that lol.. Strain name ???? im sure a lab can seperate THC from CBD.. That tells me they could not test down to a .01 level.. Im only interested in the comment that there is no CBD cannabis I dont agree its always there even if the quantity is not enough to cause an effect..

Latest posts

Latest posts